CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   235/60 BF T/A on 7" rims (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/2292091-235-60-bf-t-a-on-7-rims.html)

JohnZ 04-07-2009 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by obx2323 (Post 1569606697)
I questioned him on that when he told me what Michelin suggested so I'll keep an eye on the wear pattern. He very well may be wrong but he said alot of the newer tieres are running higher pressures.

He's wrong. That placarded 44psi max pressure molded on the sidewall is NOT a recommended operating pressure - it's the maximum pressure to be used to inflate the tire when mounting it on the rim - exceeding it can damage the tire. People that don't understand tires shouldn't be selling them :rolleyes:

Run them at 32-34psi and watch the wear pattern to make adjustments. :thumbs:

obx2323 04-08-2009 06:32 AM

They didn't "sell" them to me they "gave" them to me $440 installed, balanced and out the door. Trim rings even stayed on.:D:D:D

obx2323 04-08-2009 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Plasticman (Post 1569603434)
If you are referring to the PSI number on the sidewall, that is max running / loaded pressure. I doubt you want to run 40 psi for a Vette with those size tires!

Maybe someone else here can tell you what they are running (with similar size tires). But the power steering may still be in the cards (once you lower the pressure). Wider tires, with new "sticky" grip should make it harder to steer.

Congrats on the new shoes.
Plasticman

You are right buddy, I did a little more research on them. Damn it sure turned easier and rode great on the way though. It's amazing those those guys can run/build basically a Pro Stock Drag Car (they only run 1/8 mile) and can't read the tire pressure right. I think I can let a simple mistake slide as they have treated me very good through the years. Like I said they gave me my own bay for 2 months while they rebuilt the complete chassis with poly, upgraded my car to VBP brakes/lines too with '67 master and all kinds of other things and gave me a bill for $1,300 pretty good bunch of guys.

Canute 05-09-2009 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by JohnZ (Post 1569608612)
He's wrong. That placarded 44psi max pressure molded on the sidewall is NOT a recommended operating pressure - it's the maximum pressure to be used to inflate the tire when mounting it on the rim - exceeding it can damage the tire. People that don't understand tires shouldn't be selling them :rolleyes:

Run them at 32-34psi and watch the wear pattern to make adjustments. :thumbs:

According to the Tire Rack the Maximum Cold pressure is the maximum pressure to inflate to when cold. It didn't say anything about mounting pressure.
I run about 45psi all the time and know many others who do the same. The bead is rated for 100+psi.
The ride might be a little rougher but the car will get better gas mileage, be more responsive, and have less chance of breaking off the rim in emergency maneuvers. It will also be less likely to hydroplane.
EDIT:
When the research was done on those Firestone failures one thing that stood out is that the tires were underinflated. Underinflation leads to over heating the outside edge of the tire resulting in it disintegrating. Throw in uneducated drivers who panic after a blowout and you have lots of SUVs with the shiny side down.

Plasticman 05-09-2009 04:24 PM

Please read the following from Tire Rack, and then tell me you should be running 45 psi on a relatively large tire on a Vette, If autocrossing, yes the pressures should be raised. But not for normal loading. Yes you are probably getting better gas mileage, but at the expense of higher tire wear (center of tread will wear out much faster at high pressures), and probably an aching back from the rougher ride.

The maximum load and maximum inflation pressure are required to be branded on the sidewall of tires sold in North America.

Tire pressures are normally measured in "pounds per square inch" (psi), Kilopascals (kPa), or bars of pressure (bars). At sea level, Earth's atmosphere is pressing against the surface with a force of 1 kilogram per square centimeter. This pressure is identified as one "bar," and is equal to 100 Kilopascals or 14.7 pounds per square inch of pressure.

NOTE: 1 psi = 6.895 kPa

A 225/50R16 92V-sized tire as used in our example would have its maximum load and maximum tire inflation pressure typically presented on the sidewall as follows:

NORTH AMERICAN CODES ONLY

MAX. LOAD 630 kg (1389 lbs)
MAX. PRESSURE 300 kPa (44 psi)

This branding identifies that tires in the 225/50R16 92V size used in this example must be capable of, and be rated to carry 630 kg (1,389 pounds). Additionally it identifies that the maximum tire inflation pressure for this tire is 300 kPa (44 psi).

It is important to note that the maximum load is rated at an industry specified tire inflation pressure that is often lower then the tire's absolute maximum tire pressure. The tire pressures used to determine the maximum load the tire is rated to carry is based on the sizing system industry standards applied to the tire.

Sizing System Tire Load Range Load Pressure
P-metric Light Load
Standard Load
Extra Load 35 psi
35 psi
41 psi
Euro-metric Standard
Reinforced or Extra Load
36 psi
42 psi

However, the tire's maximum inflation pressure may be greater, such as 300 kPa (44 psi) in this example or even 350 kPa (51 psi). This is done to accommodate the vehicle manufacturers desire to tune the tires' high-speed capability, handling qualities and/or rolling resistance to better suit the vehicle.

It is important that owners consult their vehicle's tire information placard (usually found on the driver's door or doorjamb) or their owner's manual for the recommended tire pressures for their vehicle's driving conditions.

Plasticman

Canute 05-09-2009 04:36 PM

Legal doublespeak :). The tire is designed to handle 44psi according to the tire manufacturer. Driving with it at that level will improve wear, responsiveness, and gas mileage. Where's the problem? Underinflation will increase the likelihood of blowouts. Also, the car manufacturers will understate the recommended tire pressure to tune in a softer ride.
Hypermilers (aka, the Prius people) set their tires higher (mid 40s) and those cars are about Corvette weight, as well.
If higher tire pressures are good for autocrossing, why would they not be good for every day driving?