CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Driving in the rain (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/2550413-driving-in-the-rain.html)

socalman 03-16-2010 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by PUMP03 (Post 1573437836)
If rain does that, just imagine what breathing the air (that the rain fell through) does to your lungs. :ack: Need a K&N personnel filter

It's 75% better today than 30 years ago. We all bitch about the Cali smog requirements, but at least my kids never had to experience a "smog day" at school, where we couldn't go outside at recess. You would take a deep breath and your chest would burn.

hotwheels57 03-16-2010 02:50 PM

Why is it such a concern what other people do with their cars...drive in the rain or clear weather cars only...:rolleyes:

Vetteman Jack 03-16-2010 03:30 PM

Driving the car in the rain won't hurt it at all - just makes it a bit more time consuming to get really clean again.

dobewillie 03-16-2010 08:04 PM

Got caught in a rain storm once and was totally surprised the vert didn't melt and yes the top was up:thumbs:

bhoch 03-16-2010 08:25 PM

Drove it in the rain in the past. Drove it in the rain today.. Will drive it in the rain in the future. It's my DD. Got to get where I got to go.

postwhore 03-16-2010 08:33 PM

I like driving in the wet.

Jet-Jock 03-16-2010 08:47 PM

I like driving the Vette in the rain more so than any other car. It feels so much safer, tracks well, active handling for slick roads, and excellent wet handling tires. I just give more room to others on the road to increase the margin of safety.

It takes no more to clean it up then any other time. Actually I'd prefer the rain then what we have now with all the pollen. Pollen is much more destructive then rain could ever be to the finish. If I'm over beachside in the summer I prefer to drive home through some of the afternoon thunder showers cause it washes some of the salt spray off it from the ocean.

mel3535 03-16-2010 09:16 PM

i love my car and the last owner was saying he never drove it in the rain...my first day with the car i drove it in the rain :). As long as you take care of it i don't see any problem driving in the rain

Oh 2 Fun 03-16-2010 09:32 PM

The only advantage I can imagine for not driving in the rain is about the cleanliness of the undercarriage in case you spend a lot of time under it admiring the surfaces.

Well, that and brake assemblies, wheels, and other things that get dirty. It's all about the clean thing I think.....

And so, for pumping up the perceived value, dealers play that up as you getting a more "pristine" vehicle.

Jim2003 03-16-2010 09:43 PM

I live in Louisville KY which is north of Bowling Green on I-65.
To all the people who say their cars have never seen rain -- I saw you lie. I have seen the transport trucks go through here in the rain, with snow slush on the roads, with the salt crap on the roads. I have seen some pretty dirty vettes on the trucks and it is only about 90 miles up the road. So their claim to no rain is BS.

1fast97gsx 03-16-2010 09:59 PM

Who cares, I drive mine in rain, snow, mud, etc. Just wash it when it's nice out again and problem solved.

Crosis 03-16-2010 10:09 PM

I try to avoid driving in the rain because most drivers out there drive like its their first rain storm. I'd rather my vette not become victim to a moron who cant grasp the concept of hydroplaning.

HowlinC5 03-17-2010 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by jerC5 (Post 1573438908)
Got 100,000 on mine. Do not drive it in the rain as a rule only because it is too hard to get it all cleaned back up again, but I will. Wife and I had a week end planned in the Gatlinburg area last Jan. It was raining when we left, never gave it a second thought, we just jumped in and took off.

:iagree: It is harder to get cleaned up after driving in the rain. My car is outside all the time so when it rains it gets wet unless its covered. I still try not to drive it in the rain simply for the cleaning it up after fact.

Trigger Creep 03-17-2010 03:54 AM

I used to see that to describe pampered (not driven and enjoyed) Mid-year Vettes that were for sale. I haven't seen it used for years.

litpy 03-17-2010 08:26 AM

What's with it won't melt or it won't hurt it? NO s--t!!! Do you think its just Vette drivers that don't drive their cars the rain. If it's not your daily driver I see no reason to drive it in the rain or snow. Why take the chance of someone hitting it or having to clean when it is safe and clean in the garage? If you choose to drive in the rain or not it's your car to do with what you want, but to get on someone who chooses to leave it parked and make stupid comments is uncalled for. To each his own.

madmatt9471 03-17-2010 08:37 AM

They "MELT" in the rain - I had a real close one once with a cloud and some droplets but fortunetaly my Vette is fairly fast and I was able to outrun the rotation of the earth and beat the cloud full of rain :rofl:

It just means people were very anal about how they took care of the Vette and you will more than likely have a very clean garage queen on your hands, which is good:D

Thanks,Matt

billyj 03-17-2010 08:46 AM

i got two rain vehicles(s-10 blazer & rangerxlt) don't need to drive vette in rain.
plus , it seems like the goof-balls come out in the rain.
it's extremely hard to hold on to the umbrella and drive.
billyj

Zer0vette 03-17-2010 09:08 AM

the only reason my car doesn't see rain is so that i don't have to wash it as much.

Black-Sheep 03-17-2010 09:49 AM

I can't drive mine in the rain. I still have not found the wiper switch.
I think they left it off.

redrckt97 03-17-2010 09:56 AM

I drive mine every day - rain or otherwise - but - I also entered a car show last year and spent a LOT of hours cleaning inside the wheel wells, underhood etc etc .. so I think if someone is looking for a car to do shows with and not drive daily, it would be a big advantage to buy one that "had never been rained on".