CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   87,89 or 93 octane? (6.0 engine) (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2655173-87-89-or-93-octane-6-0-engine.html)

dvilin 08-08-2010 06:26 PM

Sunoco 93 Octane all the time, whether it needs it or not it gets it!

BLEKVET 08-08-2010 06:27 PM

My C6 is putting just under 500hp to the pavement. I'm running the LG G6X3 cam - serious lift and duration, amongst other mods. Whenever I run less than 91, she still runs like a spanked pony. Only difference is that whatever fuel isn't burned just spits out the tailpipes. Sometimes I'll throw a little 87 in just for that reason. At idle on cruise nights, passers by think it's totally cool ("holy sh*&, that vette's spittin' fuel) :cool:. Otherwise, I try to run at least 91 - it's tough polishing the pipes after a strong 87 "burn."

Racer 08-08-2010 06:33 PM

There are a lot of misinformed people on this forum, just like the 3000 mile oil change people. I know, I know, it's cheap insurance....:rolleyes::rofl:

grum 08-08-2010 07:22 PM

In NW Michigan I see very little if any 91 it is mostly 87,89 and 93. It would seem to me as a first time Corvette owner I should/could follow the owners manual. If 87 was harmful to the engine GM would be sure to state that, right? Price per gallon is not an issue. My other driver is Chev duramax diesel.
Paul

JoesC5 08-08-2010 07:36 PM

I run 94 octane, ethanol free, gasoline in my Z06. If I'm somewhere where I can't get 93 or 94 I'll only get 91, nothing lower. I also run the 94 octane in my Mercedes as Mercedes says to only use premium...and it has a supercharger, more reason to use premium gas. I have too much money invested in my cars to try and save a few pennies. In addition I run 94 octane in my 56 and 64 vettes. They could run on 87 ,but around here, only premium(91+ octane) is ethanol free at selected stations, and I'm not going to screw up the old cars by having ethanol crap in them.

richie15 08-08-2010 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by MARSC6 (Post 1574947046)
I have never run any octane lower then 93. Spent way to much on the car to be cheap on gas.

:iagree::nono:

DJackman 08-08-2010 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by VET4LES (Post 1574947877)
Only 87 for me. It's been 26,000 miles and runs like new. I don't race it and I see no reason to us anything else. It's interesting that when this subject comes up I only hear about higher octane ratings but never why it's used except the hp gain. If we don't care about the few extra hp why use 92?:cheers:

Im just curious, when you do a WOT, does it knock ??
I test drove a bone stock C5 Z06 a few years back with 87, and it was knockin like crazy, really bad..

Dudeurgettnavette 08-08-2010 10:32 PM

87 helps pay my loan

VET4LES 08-08-2010 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by DJackman (Post 1574950370)
Im just curious, when you do a WOT, does it knock ??
I test drove a bone stock C5 Z06 a few years back with 87, and it was knockin like crazy, really bad..

No knocking. It has a knock sensor as most autos do.:cheers:

OregonC6 08-08-2010 11:16 PM

Long trip...no demands on engine but cruising....lower octane OK....more spirited driving....maybe higher....but....once the computer figures out what you have it will adjust

WhatEverLolaWants 08-09-2010 10:13 AM

I understand the impact octane will have on reducing the horsepower a little. If you run 87 octane, will it have an impact on gas milage as well? any estimate of how much?

FortMorganAl 08-09-2010 10:45 AM

My local choices are 87, 89, and 93. I tried 89 twice and got lower gas mileage. Hard to get a good estimate with only 2 tanks but it was about 10% less. That is low enough to easily pay the $0.10/gal difference even at $2/gallon. Since then I buy only the best. I think it costs less in the long run and I don't want to do a long term test to prove I might be able to save $25/year.

res0n0xg 08-09-2010 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Z06LUST (Post 1574947265)
Run 87 if you want. Cost savings are maybe $120 per yr if your running over 12,000 miles per year--HUGE savings- hahaha. You will lose a few (10-15) hp as the engine changes timing a bit...you will never notice the difference unless your on the throttle heavy all the time.

If you want max hp then run 91. Running above 91 octane does NOTHING in terms of performance as that (91) is what the car is tuned for.

Higher octane does NOT deliver more HP-it just allows for a more aggressive tune (or higher engine compression if your rebuilding)...and if you car has not been tuned for it ...your wasting money and not gaining a thing. Higher octane fuels are NOT more powerful and do NOT deliver more power if the engine is NOT tuned and designed for them.

With full respect to other members...those who run fully stock Vettes (non-Z06) and tell you they never run anything under 93/94 and get snoby about it simply DO NOT have a clue as to how an engine works nor how octane plays a part and I highly suggest you ignore their input on this specific topic (note that in some areas 91 is unavailable and 93 is standard--why I stress the snobby part of their opinion vs just what they run-in that case 93 would be appropriate but does NOT add HP/TQ beyond what 91 would deliver).

Constantly switching back and forth serves no purpose except to potentially constantly change your engines timing..why you would want to do that is beyond me-again, lack of engine knowledge by those doing so. So pick one-detune it and run 87 or run to factory specs and run 91 (or 93 if 91 is unavailable).

While you have a good basis, you are still mostly wrong. The stock tune still loves 93 octane more than 91 octane without a doubt. You simply get less KR with 93, and it still needs to be good gas to avoid any KR. If you filled your car with 91 oct and put it on a dyno you would most likely see 1-3 degrees of timing being pulled if you data logged it assuming good quality gas. With 93 octane you SHOULD see no timing being pulled as long as it's good gas. Granted, 1-3 degrees of timing isn't much so most people won't feel it, however it is there and can be proven when data logged.

There is nothing to be snobby about, 93 octane or higher is all you should put in your car if you care about the car running to it's absolute full potential, sucks for the people with only 91 octane as any tuner will tell you they'd much rather tune you on 93+, as they can get more power from your car.

LBear 08-24-2010 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by VET4LES (Post 1574950604)
No knocking. It has a knock sensor as most autos do.:cheers:

Just because you don't hear it, does not mean it is not knocking, most likely it is knocking. :yesnod: Especially if it is hot outside and you are under load. I guarantee you that it will experience moderate spark knock if you run 87 octane in those conditions.

The knock sensor will pull timing AFTER it experiences knock, not before. It is REACTIVE not proactive.

Your upper rod bearings, ring lands and piston tops DO NOT like your 87 octane. :smash:

I don't understand people spending $50k on a car and then try to save .35 cents per gallon or $6 per their 18 gallon fill ups. While causing long term engine damage to save .35 cents :crazy:

Per the GM owners manual:

"Use TOP TIER gasoline"
"Use premium gasoline with a posted rating of 91 or higher"

The compression ratio is 10.7:1 for the LS3

tomzarbo 08-24-2010 07:28 AM

I use premium fuel in my 6.0, 2006 Vert.

I did use regular a few times to fill up when I first got the car, but then went to premium (around here I think that's 92 octane).

I think premium is only necessary when you are pretty near full throtle or under heavy load situations in order to get full power... I rarely do that sort of thing.

Usually, my tach doesn't get much over 3,000 RPM's Occasionally 4,500'ish, but never near redline. So really, I don't need premium I guess.

I do worry about getting poor quality gasoline, which can pretty much happen anyplace you get gas.

Mistakes are made, trust me -- my father works for a local gas distributor -- and there are occasions where the gas we think we are getting isn't as good as it should be. For those instances I would prefer to use premium as a bit of extra insurance... just in case. The Vette engine is an expensive part to replace, and I would just rather play it safe.

You could probably use regular and be just fine though since these cars can adjust with their computers for less than optimal situations.

TomZ

Whitepwr04 08-24-2010 09:13 AM

If the factory computer is tuned to handle anything from 87-93/94 then I'd say it's solely up to the owner to decide what fuel to run; however, if you're drive it pretty hard and like to race it quite a bit, why risk it? Just use 91/93.. at the very least you'll make a few extra ponies since the computer will recognize the change in octane and will add more timing. But if you're just driving to and from work with the car then it really won't matter. Your motor isn't going to let go on you while driving to work just because you put 87 in it.

Don't want to get this thread too off course but has anyone tried running E85 in their vette? I come from the import world where everyone makes about 60-80whp more on Ethanol lol. All you'd need to do is upgrade injectors and maybe a larger fuel pump and it's 1.89 gas all day and a lot more power! : ) Plus it keeps your motor cooler, burns cleaner so you don't get black **** on your bumper, and it cleans out your fuel system.

LBear 08-24-2010 12:35 PM

Need I remind everyone that the LS2 and LS3 DO NOT have forged pistons. They are Hypereutectic pistons which, "are known to break easily from such shock waves caused by detonation or spark knock."

"If detonation is allowed to persist over many engine cycles, engine parts can be damaged or destroyed. Severe knocking can lead to catastrophic failure in the form of physical holes punched through the piston or head. The hammer-like shock waves created by detonation subject the head gasket, piston, rings, spark plug and rod bearings to severe overloading."

Nothing like saving .35 cents a gallon or $6 for a full 18 gallons of fuel. :lol: :crazy:

Spark knock is also called "silent death" because a lot of times most people never hear it and over a long period of time, it will eventually do the engine in.

But, you saved .35 cents and now have to spend $10,000 to get a new LS3 installed. What a bargain...:smash: :ack:

goatts 08-24-2010 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by grum (Post 1574948615)
In NW Michigan I see very little if any 91 it is mostly 87,89 and 93. It would seem to me as a first time Corvette owner I should/could follow the owners manual. If 87 was harmful to the engine GM would be sure to state that, right? Price per gallon is not an issue. My other driver is Chev duramax diesel.
Paul

And they do. Read it again. Especially the part about knocking and engine damage. Do you think you're going to hear the knocking with the AC and radio blasting. If you do get damage and the dealer finds out you were running regular gas he may use it as an excuse to void your warranty.

There is much more at stake here then a small hp loss. These octane threads always generate a lively discussion.

Markallamerican 08-24-2010 12:52 PM

[B]One Time I had to put 87 in because it was all the station had. Of course we were down in the low country and it was 110 degrees, IT DID NOT LIKE IT! Nocked liked crazy. Never never again

j_digi454 08-24-2010 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by AORoads (Post 1574947678)
John is correct, if you do the math the savings is so small as to be silly. Use 93 or 91 if the higher octane isn't available in your state.

:iagree: In fact, the difference is even smaller than you think when you take into consideration that your gas mileage is reduced when you use a lower grade of gas.

I believe the Vette is tuned for maximum performance at 91 octane from the factory as that is what's readily available in all parts of the US. I still use 93 octane as it is readily available in the Northeast and soon I will have my Vette tuned to fully utilize the extra octane.