CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Looking for new trailer and need advice! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2726404-looking-for-new-trailer-and-need-advice.html)

jsbwac 11-23-2010 05:31 PM

Thanks for the advice. Everyone is right on.

As of now, I am leaning towards a Sure Trac (http://sure-trac.com/sure-trac/trailers.asp?pageID=24) with the following:
-20" box (8.5' wide) with extended triple tongue and V-nose (I think the V-nose will give me extra storage for the cost.
-curved solid roof
-5200 pound axles with torsion springs
-225 radials with Aluminum 5 star rims
-LED lighting all around
-.030 thick aluminum exterior side walls
-Side escape door (I will have to elevate the car to use this, but I have plans on how to do this already)
-The underside is undercoated completely and the tongue is powdercoated
-Sure Trac has a nice process for prepping the steel for the frame prior to painting it which I am impressed with
-16" on center walls and floor, 24" on ceiling
-Adding the optional electrical package with fuse box, outlets, and lights
-White vinyl walls and roof (I just like the way it looks) and checkered floor
-36" side door with additional RV lock
-Roof and side vents
-24" debris plate on front (might do sides also)

Any additional stuff and racks I will just get afterwards and install myself. I am foregoing the cabinets based on price, plus if I do a base cabinet, it will be in the way of a winch and take away from storage area. I have a toolbox I might put up front. As for my truck, everything should be good. I might add helpers to the rear springs just to keep the truck level.

I found a good dealer, but I am still shopping a bit just to make sure I am getting a good deal. For the cost of a used trailer, it just doesn't pay to buy used. It is well worth having one built.

saplumr 11-23-2010 05:43 PM

I got a 20' enclosed from Proline trailers in Roanoke VA at a really good price. The cheapest place to find them is the ole auction site. The e trac is really unnecessary in my opinion, to much stuff on the floor. I cross my straps and I don't think you do that with e-trac. I told them exactly where I wanted my d-rings and it's perfect for the vette. I also have the RaceRamp 67" trailer ramps because my car is pretty low. Of course you're going to need a load distribution system also.

jsbwac 11-27-2010 05:22 PM

Thanks for all the input. I found some other brands out there, but still don't know which is best. All this shopping has led me to a dealer in PA who has the SURE TRAC I wanted $1500 cheaper than here in NJ, which is good. What do you guys think about the SURE TRAC trailers? What about the STEALTH brand line of trailers? They look good also, but are cheaper which always worries me.

Depending on what comes from here, I will probably order the Sure Trac next week.
Thanks again for the input. I will post pictures once it comes in a month or two from now.

saplumr 11-27-2010 05:39 PM

If you get the V-nose it would be a good idea to make sure you can install the weight distribution system. You can't do it on all V-nose trailers.

Bill Dearborn 11-27-2010 05:58 PM

A number of years ago I was looking at buying an enclosed trailer from team that raced NASCAR modifieds. The inside of the trailer was laid with two ramps continuing from the door into the trailer so the bottom of the race car could be accessed by crawling into the tunnel formed when the car was in the trailer. They could do a lot of under car maintenance without using a jack.

Bill

saplumr 11-27-2010 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn (Post 1576050511)
A number of years ago I was looking at buying an enclosed trailer from team that raced NASCAR modifieds. The inside of the trailer was laid with two ramps continuing from the door into the trailer so the bottom of the race car could be accessed by crawling into the tunnel formed when the car was in the trailer. They could do a lot of under car maintenance without using a jack.

Bill

A trailer like that "may" be hard to load a low clearance car.

VatorMan 11-27-2010 06:17 PM

OK-Maybe some "in trailer pics are needed. I have a 24' haulmark with recessed D rings to tie down. MAC wheel straps and E track everywhere. You'll want to plan for extra tires.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21.../Car/car22.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21.../Car/car42.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21.../Car/car32.jpg

20 ft. is not going to give you much room for proper strap tie downs. You are going to be a pretzel trying to get either the j hook in the frame or wheel straps on as well.

Joe_Planet 11-27-2010 06:39 PM

try racingjunk, and i'd recommend getting at least a 24'
i bought a 26' trailer all decked out for 5k on there..

jsbwac 11-27-2010 09:11 PM

Thanks VatorMan for the pictures. That helped a lot. I keep visiting a local dealer and walking his trailers trying to figure out a layout. Now that I see yours, I see a 20' might be cutting it close.
I am thinking of surpassing cabinets and just using wall racks. My only problem with going too big is parking at my house.
Any more pictures would be appreciated.

saplumr 11-27-2010 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by jsbwac (Post 1576052124)
Thanks VatorMan for the pictures. That helped a lot. I keep visiting a local dealer and walking his trailers trying to figure out a layout. Now that I see yours, I see a 20' might be cutting it close.
I am thinking of surpassing cabinets and just using wall racks. My only problem with going too big is parking at my house.
Any more pictures would be appreciated.

Mine is a 20' and there is plenty of space. A 24' is way overkill to transport a Vette. The bigger it is the harder it is to find a place to park and get in tight places.

saplumr 11-27-2010 09:27 PM

vatorman...Doesn't strapping the front down by the front wheels put a ton of stress on the alignment. I strap mine at the lower control arms.

VatorMan 11-27-2010 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by saplumr (Post 1576052250)
Mine is a 20' and there is plenty of space. A 24' is way overkill to transport a Vette. The bigger it is the harder it is to find a place to park and get in tight places.

True-but what is the intended purpose of the trailer? Just basic transport or to and from the track? A track trailer needs to be a mobile garage. I agree a 20 fter is OK for basic transport.

Originally Posted by saplumr (Post 1576052279)
vatorman...Doesn't strapping the front down by the front wheels put a ton of stress on the alignment. I strap mine at the lower control arms.

You'll get different answers from different people. Some people use J hooks and connect into the shipping slots. Some people say that's bad because you compress the suspension. Some people say strap the control arms. I talked to the guys at MAC and they recommended the wheel straps. MAC has been strapping down race cars for many years. I trust their judgement.

saplumr 11-27-2010 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by VatorMan (Post 1576052381)

You'll get different answers from different people. Some people use J hooks and connect into the shipping slots. Some people say that's bad because you compress the suspension. Some people say strap the control arms. I talked to the guys at MAC and they recommended the wheel straps. MAC has been strapping down race cars for many years. I trust their judgement.

Good deal. Probably depends on how tight you pull the ratchets. I just wasn't sure about that.:thumbs:

jsbwac 12-01-2010 11:01 PM

Thanks for everyone's advice. I just plopped a deposit down on a custom MTI trailer. Won't have it til end of January. I will post pictures once I go get it.