CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   buying first corvette (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2935587-buying-first-corvette.html)

danieloneil01 10-21-2011 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by NoXcape (Post 1579014719)
You may even want to think of getting a new one. I was planning on buy A used 08 or newer but now you can get a 2011 for 45k and you get a better interest rate and warranty. It all depends if you want all the options or something that is newer.

What's your interest rate on the new vette? I bought mine used and I bet it's so close it's a wash. Mine is insanely low for a used car. People are surprised at how low it is for a used car (5yr loan too). Credit Union FTW!

norton77 10-21-2011 05:15 PM

Buy first corvette

Hi
Thanx for so many replies. A little info...

I am looking to spend around $35000 for a 2008 or newer model
base, stock, stick shift. I would like to get a garage queen with as low milage as possible. I drive like an 80 year old and I plan to pay cash.
I am saving up now and I have $30,000 so far.

I been driving Mercedes the past 12 years, so I will need to test drive a Corvette soon to see how it feels.

I will definitly study this fourm

Thanx again & God bless you nice people

N

MONTVALEGOLF 10-21-2011 05:21 PM

sent you private message

Gary '09 C6 10-21-2011 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by hig4s (Post 1579019348)
I just got my new '11 2LT for $41k +ttl

IMO, a very nice price...:thumbs: congratulations !

laconiajack 10-21-2011 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by norton77 (Post 1579019578)
Hi
Thanx for so many replies. A little info...

I am looking to spend around $35000 for a 2008 or newer model
base, stock, stick shift. I would like to get a garage queen with as low milage as possible. I drive like an 80 year old and I plan to pay cash.
I am saving up now and I have $30,000 so far.

I been driving Mercedes the past 12 years, so I will need to test drive a Corvette soon to see how it feels.

I will definitly study this fourm

Thanx again & God bless you nice people

N

I, like others, would suggest getting one with the F55 Magnetic adjustible suspension for a superior ride and more controlled handling (this option also comes with larger cross-drilled brakes like the Z51 option, but without the Z51 skittish stiff ride and high-wear tires); or get one with the base suspension. The NPP dual mode exhaust system provides a sports car exhaust sound instead of one that sounds like an Impala. Bose radios don't sound as good as standard ones; in-dash NAV systems are inferior to aftermarket Garmins. For a quieter, smoother ride and superior handling in wet or cool weather plan on replacing the factory Goodyear Runflats with Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season Plus Runflat (ZP) tires, (about $1,440.00). You might also want to replace the standard brake pads with GM ceramic brake pads in order to reduce excessive brake dust and tendency to squeal. Many prefer the transparent top for it's appearance, and instal aftermarket padded fabric headliners to keep out summer heat and improve internal appearance. The '09 model featured variable rate power steering, bluetooth phone capability and chrome surround crossed-flags emblems; their haven't been any significant improvements since then.

cmonkey713 10-21-2011 08:38 PM

All great advise here. Here are the main things to remember:
1. Take your time and get exactly what you want
2. Check the C-6 for sale forum here each day.
3. 2008 or newer for the LS-3 engine
4. Remaining factory warranty or extended warranty in place
5. Automatic or manual, what suits you the best.
6. Coupe or convertible, choice is yours.
7. Color combination, choice is yours.
8. Always check the history of the car. Talk to the previous owner if possible.
9. Do not trust Carfax.
10. The most important; Decide exactly what you want. It is not a good deal if the car is not exactly what you want.

Happy hunting. :thumbs:

John Harry 10-22-2011 10:26 AM

Get a GM VIS report and a Carfax. No, they may not tell you everything, but you might learn something important.

Operate everything on the car - every switch, feature, option, etc. You don't want to buy it in winter and find out next summer the a/c doesn't work.

JoesC5 10-22-2011 02:55 PM

Might sound stupid, but decide exactly what options and color you want and do your best to find a car that matches. Don't buy something you don't really 100% want just because it's closer to home, or a few dollars cheaper, etc.
If you want a manual transmission, don't buy one with an automatic, just because it has the right color, etc. If you can't find one that matches your desires, then consider a new one, even if you have to pay a little more up front.

These cars aren't cheap and you want one that you will be happy with for several years.

MikeinAZ 10-22-2011 03:03 PM

Being patient is the key, and since I live in a warm climate state, the deals were not as good here so I searched all over the US on Autotrader for a few months during the winter as I knew people storing them or not driving them much may want to get rid of them and I could get a deal. The colder states ended up having the better deals it turned out in my case. I was able to find a 08 w/ 8k miles in the colors I wanted for $30k at a Mercedes dealer in Ohio. I was happy w/ 1lt trim as I could care less about nav and the Bose system. Actually had a family member living there that I sent to see it, I bought it and then had it shipped out here, that cost another $800. but was much cheaper than buying one here. So I got what I wanted, looked and smelled like new still and saved a ton of money. Be patient and good luck!

CO Lightfoot 10-22-2011 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by norton77 (Post 1579019578)
...I am looking to spend around $35000 for a 2008 or newer model
base, stock, stick shift. I would like to get a garage queen with as low milage as possible...

You should be able to find a VERY nice C6 for $35k. :thumbs:

Lots of examples in the "C6's For Sale" forum:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...s-for-sale-98/

It's a buyer's market. Enjoy your search! :thumbs: