CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   New 13 GS Dry Sump-Oil Puddle (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3151849-new-13-gs-dry-sump-oil-puddle.html)

petsur 10-20-2012 08:43 PM

Well I tried, but the jack fit under the car with room to pump it up. I stuck my head as far under as i could and I saw 1 drip from the front aluminum cross member between the wheels. Can't see crap beyond that, but from above and below the engine looks dry.

I've put every single mile on the car and I haven't hit anything (I'D KNOW). I started it and it's got crap loads of oil pressure, but being the dry sump, I can't check the oil until it's warm and I"m not running it that long.

I'm off to NC tomorrow, and I'll call the dealer on Monday. Hopefully it's ready for me when I get back Friday. I'm not too stressed about it right now. It was tight before last Sunday.
:lurk:

96GS#007 10-20-2012 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by petsur (Post 1582128134)
Well I tried, but the jack fit under the car with room to pump it up. I stuck my head as far under as i could and I saw 1 drip from the front aluminum cross member between the wheels. Can't see crap beyond that, but from above and below the engine looks dry.

I've put every single mile on the car and I haven't hit anything (I'D KNOW). I started it and it's got crap loads of oil pressure, but being the dry sump, I can't check the oil until it's warm and I"m not running it that long.

I'm off to NC tomorrow, and I'll call the dealer on Monday. Hopefully it's ready for me when I get back Friday. I'm not too stressed about it right now. It was tight before last Sunday.
:lurk:

Damn...sounding like another ps rack. Have to keep an eye on mine. 1500 miles and dry so far [fingers crossed].

JCtx 10-20-2012 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by petsur (Post 1582128134)
I stuck my head as far under as i could and I saw 1 drip from the front aluminum cross member between the wheels.

Sounds more and more like the rack man. Check the power steering fluid level (it has marks for full cold and full hot), and you'll have your answer. Good luck.

TKgs2010 10-21-2012 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by petsur (Post 1582123913)
About 1000 mi on my GS. Last Sunday took it for a spin going over 4000 RPMs for the first time. Didn't redline it, but gave it several hard runs. After about a 40 minute drive, took her home and parked it in the garage (level). Waited 5 minutes and checked the oil. Down not quite 1/2 a quart. Don't add any oil, close it up and head to work for the week.

Get back yesterday and see a puddle, about 1 qt of oil under the car. Can't see where it's coming from, but the bottom of the engine looks dry. I think it's either coming from the oil tank area or the front of the engine.

Does the oil tank have an overflow? Don't understand why it would burp a quart though. It was a little low, not high??

My giuess would be a loose fitting on an oil line, but I'd take it to the dealer and have their Vette guy check it out. No issues with mine, and I check it faithfully every time I park it in the garage after driving. The power steering is another idea, it seems like a few others have had that problem. Good luck.:thumbs:

petsur 10-22-2012 12:34 PM

Appointment at 2 today for "the hook" to come pick the car up. Hopefully will hear what's going on sometime tomorrow.

petsur 10-22-2012 08:03 PM

Dealership called and left a message after I left work. They said I had a blown right front shock! Those things must hold a bit of oil! No engine oil leaks.

Gary '09 C6 10-23-2012 03:41 PM

^ glad it's not the engine/power train...!

petsur 10-23-2012 07:32 PM

Amen brother. I had just checked the oil and the car was parked at the time so I wasn't too concerned. The engine looked dry, so I knew it was something stupid. Will be ready tomorrow and I'm good with it.

Cyber Greg 10-23-2012 07:46 PM

Great news!!!

Gary '09 C6 10-23-2012 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by petsur (Post 1582153122)
Amen brother. I had just checked the oil and the car was parked at the time so I wasn't too concerned. The engine looked dry, so I knew it was something stupid. Will be ready tomorrow and I'm good with it.

do you recall hitting a pothole or a curb, hard ? wonder what caused the shock seal to fail ?

petsur 10-24-2012 06:12 AM

No I don't remember hitting anything.

Z06Fiend 10-24-2012 09:15 AM

Good news! Glad it wasn't anything serious! :thumbs:

Balasarius 10-24-2012 09:40 AM

Pretty sure I had my GS over 4000 RPMs on the drive home.

Glad it turned out to be something simple.