CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Advice needed - scratches all over at pick-up (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3374174-advice-needed-scratches-all-over-at-pick-up.html)

CRABBYJ 11-13-2013 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Hirohawa (Post 1585421528)
I would rewind the deal and demand my money back. Or I would take $5K for my troubles and paint fixes.

On another note - Is GM for real with all these issues?

To me everything has been off since the introduction in January.

- "Polarizing" rear end design
- Back peddling/doubling down interviews given by the brass defending said rear end.
- Weight gain of almost 100lbs
- Obsolte-gate another great foot in the mouth moment by C7 head honchos
- Late shipping and QC hold in TN.
- Paint and panel alignment issues ALL OVER this forum on C7s

And please no one fabricate the past and say this has happened to the C6 or even the C5 for that matter.

This is a mess.

How soon we forget.:rofl::flag:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...39-owners.html

Diesel88 11-13-2013 11:13 PM

I am not sure how far the detail shop is from the dealership but it seems to me maybe they drove it there instead of the flatbed agreement. They apparently didn't keep up with their part of the agreement with scratches issue, so why would they with the flatbed promise. It only adds insult to injury with the added miles, then not fixing the scratches and making it worse.
Black is a very hard color to keep clean in the first place but to now fix a scratch issue that they only made worse doesn't look too promising. I wish you the best but it doesn't look like it's going good so far, I hope I am wrong.

ttboost1 11-13-2013 11:33 PM

Try to get the money back- they failed to deliver scratch free.

If that fails sue in small claims court for 7500$. It only costs about 100$ to file , and they will settle.

If you keep the car take it to John at Sweedway Collision Bell and Cave Creek.. He can and will fix it right for a very resonable price.

Hirohawa 11-13-2013 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ (Post 1585424793)

Your C6 issue is a major mechanical failure that is manifest from driving the car, needs go to a service bay, and have it checked or fixed by a trained technician for the potential faulty part.

The C7 misaligned panels and paint issues only require you to not be blind before releasing them to the public.

Yup total equivalent situations. :crazy2:

Crossed Flags Fan 11-13-2013 11:50 PM

Good luck and keep us posted. Ignore the haters...

CRABBYJ 11-14-2013 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Hirohawa (Post 1585425067)
Your C6 issue is a major mechanical failure that is manifest from driving the car, needs go to a service bay, and have it checked or fixed by a trained technician for the potential faulty part.

The C7 misaligned panels and paint issues only require you to not be blind before releasing them to the public.

Yup total equivalent situations. :crazy2:

It's very obvious you did not read the suggested material to its conclusion. That problem was a LS2 design compromise for costs that did not anticipate an assembly compromise associated with the QC of an LS2 build torque wrench. There was no preemptive test to mitigate the resulting eventual failure of just a few of the +11,000 initial build '05 C6s. There were no records to trace which of a number of torque wrenches the miscalibrated one was used on what engine. Retorqueing was not an option only replacement with the inclusion of a diamond washer. Thus the TSB. No "crazy2" necessary. :flag: Yup no where equivalent.

Hirohawa 11-14-2013 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ (Post 1585425366)
It's very obvious you did not read the suggested material to its conclusion. That problem was a LS2 design compromise for costs that did not anticipate an assembly compromise associated with the QC of an LS2 build torque wrench. There was no preemptive test to mitigate the resulting eventual failure of just a few of the +11,000 initial build '05 C6s. There were no records to trace which of a number of torque wrenches the miscalibrated one was used on what engine. Retorqueing was not an option only replacement with the inclusion of a diamond washer. Thus the TSB. No "crazy2" necessary. :flag: Yup no where equivalent.

Yes exactly. A false equivalency.

You are talking about a complex series of failures from engineering to tool selection that probably did not manifest until cars where driven in the real world. In your post you said you put 10,000 miles on your 2005 in several years before the issue was addressed. Ultimately a very serious issue. But not one apparent on the showroom floor.

I am talking about looking at a panel that is 1/4" lower than another. This is such an easy thing to spot and not release it is ridiculous. No engineering or mechanic background needed. These effected cars look bad sitting still with zero miles on them in the showroom. This is superficial but, ultimately this, and the bad orange peel could profoundly hurt the image/reputation of the new Corvette.

Originally Posted by Guibo (Post 1585401980)
Here's a sampling from ebay, with VINs:
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/2518/ydl9.jpg

Originally Posted by Guibo (Post 1585399401)
That appears to be the case with a lot of them. Whether they say they are happy with their cars, and whether their cars have problems are two separate things. We already know that some members did not realize their cars had problems until issues were raised on the forum; when they double-checked, sure enough the issues were there. I also know for a fact that some who have described their cars as "flawless," "perfect," or "defect-free," and voted as such in a poll, actually have cars with some of these issues. Some examples of the very cars in question:
http://s15.postimg.org/neigqql4r/42_4.jpg
(Same car orange peel):
http://s24.postimg.org/kth0rh7lh/42_1.jpg

http://s7.postimg.org/aytagohuz/42_2.jpg
(Also check the inconsistent gap from wheel well to spoiler.)

http://s12.postimg.org/pxawv84st/42_3.jpg

http://s13.postimg.org/iiwxqdkwn/42_6.jpg

http://s15.postimg.org/3wseojdkr/42_7.jpg

http://s21.postimg.org/8jten234n/42_5.jpg

This one was described as having "flawless paint" and "precise gaps."
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/5766/0spk.jpg
Obvious orange peel on the same car: http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/2582/tf4a.jpg

I would guess that if these members posted up higher-res, detailed closeups of these areas, it would not be so terribly different from a random sampling of ebay cars. Last week, 23 out of 25 cars had these problems (some of them with multiple issues), in auctions where pictures were clear enough to see. This is not the "1%" as some here have claimed.

As to the OP's issue about paint flaking near the headlight, this sounds similar to the issue of some members whose paint is scratched near the central brake light. Could be a matter of simply rushing the part into the opening. Maybe that's what's going on here too (also note what appears to be touch-up paint color mismatch and bubbling in the crevice between panels):
http://s22.postimg.org/ynybcx7st/ima...che=1384154480

Originally Posted by Hirohawa (Post 1585399554)
What outrage? It's just unacceptable in a new car purchase - any new car purchase in 2013. Not sure how that was equated to a mass murder. Kind of a false equivalency.

What's outrageous is some of the people on this thread pretending they would be OK with what the OP posted. If you spend almost $70K on new car with peeling paint and miss aligned panels and you don't take it back to the dealer and raise hell then you are an idiot.

From another thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/atta...103_131851.jpg

Totally unacceptable.

Not only is the bottom noticeably lower in the first pic but see the surface variation on the second pic. Metallic colors will really show this off too unfortunately. It looks like a repaint as the light refracts differently even though it should be the same. Reminds me of the surface variations on the C5 rear bumper as the transition to fiberglass to Urethane never quite mated smoothly.

http://lgmotorsports.com/gallery/alb...e_shot%7E3.jpg

The Grey one you can tell in a full body shot how far off that panel is.

ANd if they can't get panel fitment and paint right imagine what else might be lurking underneath it all. Maybe nothing maybe something like what you went through with your C6.

jkcam6017 11-14-2013 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by thespymaster (Post 1585423974)
I didnt write anything about wanting the price changes or redo the contract period!!!! Re-Read my post

I just want paint fixed, nothing about any refunds!!

Fair enough. Okay, if it were me, I would find the best detailer in your area, and have them evaluate the issues. If they feel that they can fix it to your satisfaction, I would have it done and take the bill to the dealer. If you bought 10 trucks + a C7 from them, I can't imagine they would not write you a check.

If the detailer says it is beyond his capabilities, I would take it to the best paint shop and find out what they could do for you. Advise them it is not an insurance claim, you will be paying yourself.

It sounds like it may be beyond the capabilities or willingness of the dealer.

Truly, best of luck.

harlold 11-14-2013 08:52 AM

I'd find a professional detailer and have them do it, and then give the bill to the dealer.

I wouldn't let the dealer to paint corrections.

Shodanusmc 11-14-2013 09:14 AM

I would never trust the dealer to fix paint issues. I would take it to the best body shop, and work thru GM to get reimbursed. Same thing happened to me years ago. Impulse buy, at night. Next day, WTF. THey repained the entire vehicle. Looked worse. Best of luck, and sorry to see so many paint issues and other problems.

DanTheFireman 11-14-2013 10:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Hirohawa (Post 1585425566)
Yes exactly. A false equivalency.

I am talking about looking at a panel that is 1/4" lower than another. This is such an easy thing to spot and not release it is ridiculous. No engineering or mechanic background needed. These effected cars look bad sitting still with zero miles on them in the showroom. This is superficial but, ultimately this, and the bad orange peel could profoundly hurt the image/reputation of the new Corvette.

OK, ya made me look. I hate to burst your bubble but if that's 1/4", then I'm packing a yardstick. If it makes you feel any better, my horizontal surfaces do have some fine orange peel, just like my C6.

vetdude 11-14-2013 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by jkcam6017 (Post 1585422468)
So you noticed the scratches and bought the car at a "market adjusted" price that was an "impulse purchase"? You also had an "understanding that the scratches were minor" and your agreement with them was that they would have the car professionally detailed.

Now you want to renegotiate your purchase?

I wish you the best of luck.

:iagree:

RonnieC6Z 11-14-2013 12:01 PM

The mistake that the OP made is the same mistake that so many folks are making when taking delivery of a C7 that is not up to snuff. You guys are so enthralled with the idea of getting the car into your garage ASAP that all reason goes out the door. You just have to have this car NOW! You can't wait another minute! The answer is simple. If you want a car off the showroom floor or if you have ordered your dream car, and it is not as close to perfect as possible, THEN DON'T ACCEPT THE VEHICLE! Don't sign the paperwork. Tell the dealer either to call you when the car is fixed or thell them to get you another car. If they are not willing to do one or the other, then move on down the road. If you take delivery of a car after your fine tooth-comb inspection shows it to be not to your liking, then don't bitch about it.

RonnieC6Z 11-14-2013 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by thespymaster (Post 1585428328)
Ronnie......Ronnie..... Ronnie go cry me a river, will ya ? :rock:

When you have a relationship with a dealer and they assure they will deliver on what they promise (in writing) and they want to play games afterwords since they know the deal is done, they can say FU all day long is not how to conduct business!!

I'm not boo boo the fool either, this is the 1st car, I have ever financed and did that on purpose, but did the down payment with my BLACK card of $20K and the fiance agreement is for the balance... So I will give this dealer enough wiggle room to fix the problem, or will simply do a "charge back" until a comprise is met to both us are in agreement!

The General Manager "Chris" brushed me off yesterday, saying your claim is "annotated" and I was like WTF does that mean, with no additional reply! They didn't provide full disclosure about the C7 being already inspected by GM and denied by GM!!!

So again, I'm not asking for REFUND/MONEY back, etc, I just want what "Sands Chevrolet" promised to fix the paint, nothing else!!!

I didn't buy my previous vehicles from SANDS CHEVROLET period, I wrote I've had all my vehicles serviced at Sands for past 12 months since moving here to Arizona and they "Sands" even made the comment at time of purchase of "C7" that I have spent $$$$$$ at their dealership and is why they cut the 10K market adjustment price down to half; and I had no issues paying for it!

But having found out afterwards that GM came and inspected the C7 and denied the claim by Sands and they still slapped the market adjustment price, doesn't speak volumes about the TRUST I had with Sands!!

I have owned over 40 cars, including 10 Corvettes, 3 Porsches, 2 Ferraris, you name it. I have also done some work for Porsche, Ferrari & Maserati in the customer relations field. I know a little something about buying cars and car dealers. As I said, I would never put my name on the dotted line until the car that I was driving off of the dealer's lot for the first time met my expectations. And I am really pickey! But, to each his or her own.

DREAMERAK 11-14-2013 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by RonnieC6Z (Post 1585428553)
I have owned over 40 cars, including 10 Corvettes, 3 Porsches, 2 Ferraris, you name it. I have also done some work for Porsche, Ferrari & Maserati in the customer relations field. I know a little something about buying cars and car dealers. As I said, I would never put my name on the dotted line until the car that I was driving off of the dealer's lot for the first time met my expectations. And I am really pickey! But, to each his or her own.

This is good advice.

Diesel88 11-14-2013 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by thespymaster (Post 1585428328)
Ronnie......Ronnie..... Ronnie go cry me a river, will ya ? :rock:

When youe a relationship with a dealer and they assure they will deliver on what they promise (in writing) and they want to play games afterwords since they know the deal is done, they can say FU all day long is not how to conduct business!!

I'm not boo boo the fool either, this is the 1st car, I have ever financed and did that on purpose, but did the down payment with my BLACK card of $20K and the fiance agreement is for the balance... So I will give this dealer enough wiggle room to fix the problem, or will simply do a "charge back" until a comprise is met to both us are in agreement!

The General Manager "Chris" brushed me off yesterday, saying your claim is "annotated" and I was like WTF does that mean, with no additional reply! They didn't provide full disclosure about the C7 being already inspected by GM and denied by GM!!!

So again, I'm not asking for REFUND/MONEY back, etc, I just want what "Sands Chevrolet" promised to fix the paint, nothing else!!!

I didn't buy my previous vehicles from SANDS CHEVROLET period, I wrote I've had all my vehicles serviced at Sands for past 12 months since moving here to Arizona and they "Sands" even made the comment at time of purchase of "C7" that I have spent $$$$$$ at their dealership and is why they cut the 10K market adjustment price down to half; and I had no issues paying for it!

But having found out afterwards that GM came and inspected the C7 and denied the claim by Sands and they still slapped the market adjustment price, doesn't speak volumes about the TRUST I had with Sands!!

Spy Master,
I think this is a huge slap in the face move. They purchased a car for the owner at invoice I would assume, refused it due to scratches, put it on the floor for sale, GM refused to fix the issue they found, added a 10 grand markup, made it seem like they are hooking you up and dropping half the markup, then add another 25 miles on the car and make the paint issue worse. That alone right there tells you enough you need to know about this dealership. Wow Wow wow. Sorry you have to go through this headache.

SSWIM 11-14-2013 01:19 PM

Spy Master Quotes---I'm not boo boo the fool either, this is the 1st car, I have ever financed and did that on purpose, but did the down payment with my BLACK card of $20K and the fiance agreement is for the balance... So I will give this dealer enough wiggle room to fix the problem, or will simply do a "charge back" until a comprise is met to both us are in agreement!

Our dealers will not do CC on a purchase. Wish they did. Get me some AMEX Points!!!:D:D:thumbs:

BlueOx 11-14-2013 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Hirohawa (Post 1585424542)

So, you admit all your earlier tripe was BS...good to know.

Hirohawa 11-14-2013 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by DanTheFireman (Post 1585426916)
OK, ya made me look. I hate to burst your bubble but if that's 1/4", then I'm packing a yardstick. If it makes you feel any better, my horizontal surfaces do have some fine orange peel, just like my C6.

Is that a C7 fender? Not sure what part of the car you are showing.

So are you saying your panel is only slightly misaligned instead of majorly misaligned like all the ones I posted.

If so bust out the champagne! GM nailed it!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/atta...103_131851.jpg

Hirohawa 11-14-2013 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by BlueOx (Post 1585428623)
So, you admit all your earlier tripe was BS...good to know.

I will admit you are constantly incorrect. You're like my senile nemesis.

Are you going to attack more people that have QC problems today. Tell another grown man that his peeling paint on his new C7 it is just plastic and that he is lying?