CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Don't want to be overpriced! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/3482629-dont-want-to-be-overpriced.html)

stu12dozen 06-11-2014 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill (Post 1587106108)
I have no idea how much labor and part would cost because I am not sure what a barren is or located.

In order to replace the barren, you first have to elevate the vehicle and remove the tar (tire in the USA or tyre in Australian).

I have traveled by both car and motorcycle in the USA on several occasions and I love hearing the different accents spoken in the north, south, east and west. I can easily see where the word "barren" originated.

To the OP: I paid $600 to have the right rear wheel "bearing" replaced on my '03 back in March. There are a lot of things that I could fix myself forty years ago, but now I have to pay someone else to do them. I'm lucky that I can still climb in and out of a Corvette without too much trouble. I also feel that it is more important to find a mechanic you can trust your car with and not worry too much about the price as long as it is competitive. There is nothing wrong with checking around and comparing prices, but I have always felt that people should be paid what they are worth (to you). My mechanic/tuner treats my car as if he owned it and that's why I will not allow anyone else to touch my ride.

Remember, "POOR QUALITY AND SERVICE LINGERS LONG AFTER A CHEAP PRICE IS FORGOTTEN". Not sure if that was Confucious or my father. Maybe both! :cheers:

mrr23 06-11-2014 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by racebum (Post 1587102774)
there's nothing fair in profit. if you don't charge it i would guess it's because your area doesn't support it.

There is plenty fair in profit. I charge profit. I'm in a business to make money. Granted not all of it on the first person to walk through the the door. Customer service goes only so far. I don't care how great the customer service is. If the price is way off in left field, I'll go somewhere else. You can have both. I'd rather have a customer that comes back often than only once because I took him for all I could that first time.

Anyways sounds like the 500.00 is right on target for what he wants done.

Blueleader 06-11-2014 03:39 PM

I agree, that price is about right and I would make sure the parts used are high quality. And Yes, Firestone still gouges, I just found out when I went for tires and all of a sudden I needed a new starter...... I noted the bill was 2 times the cost of a GM starter from Corvette central. Ouch!

racebum 06-11-2014 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by GettnBetter (Post 1587106373)
GM sells modular pre-built "barren lol" assemblies with the speed sensor all properly shimmed and lubed.

Front GM part 88967287 ~250
Rear GM part 88967288 ~150

There might be a left right difference, I really don't know but point is do people really rebuild hubs instead of just buying a complete bolt-in replacement?

i don't think these confangled barrens is rebuildable

normally you just buy one and dun put the car up on a stump and change out the old en