CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous-86/)
-   -   LPE TT c5 vs supra turbo dyno!! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous/370446-lpe-tt-c5-vs-supra-turbo-dyno.html)

AP 08-22-2002 04:44 PM

Re: LPE TT c5 vs supra turbo dyno!! (T66Supra)

That is a good comparison, but somehow flawed ... 500RWHP is what a Stage 1+ is getting ... so the car was having trouble of some sort ... but the Supra did have a lot of power ... and from a dead stop the Vette would win because of the Supra's lack of power until 3500rpms ...

Otherwise ... COOL!

[Modified by AP, 3:45 PM 8/22/2002]

Racer 08-22-2002 04:58 PM

Theoretically doesn't cut it. I really don't know why I even posted here, as Supras do absolutley nothing for me. Sorry! You go on and keep posting on how much better your Toyota is than any other Vettes. It just seems that you are looking for acceptance that your car is worthy or something?? I have a question, (and I don't know the answer as I never go to the supra forums :nono: ) Do the LPE guys come on your forums bragging and looking for acceptance, I would be surprised if they did. I know I wouldn't! Now on to more interesting things, maybe I have a dull book I can go read! :D
:cheers: :seeya

[Modified by racer44, 2:00 PM 8/22/2002]

LANJET 08-22-2002 05:16 PM

T66 Supra, For one, I appreciate you posting on this forum. I think the power you guys are able to make out of those cars is incredible, and on a stock bottom end.......... Please tell us what it takes to make that kind of power, and at what point do you go with a single turbo instead of two?

LPE TT650

T66Supra 08-22-2002 05:28 PM

Re: LPE TT c5 vs supra turbo dyno!! (AP)

AP, from a stop I launch my car at 7000+ RPM's, so there's no lack of power:) If that was the case my current car would be slower than the T66 car as the turbos are laggier, yet it is much faster.

T66Supra 08-22-2002 05:32 PM

Re: LPE TT c5 vs supra turbo dyno!! (racer44)

We get lots of Viper guys (John Hennessey himself) Vette guys (No Mercy, and LPE guys such as the fellow from Washington), etc. at Supra boards.

I was not bragging on my car (I didn't start this thread, just responded) and based on the Greddy Supra going 229 MPH with significantly less HP than my car we can get a relative idea of top speed. Remember this is simple physics, a certain weight car with a certain coefficiaent of drag will go a certain speed given a certain amount of power. At ~925 HP at the crank on boost alone I doubt 220+ MPH would be a problem for my car.

[Modified by T66Supra, 3:32 PM 8/22/2002]

T66Supra 08-22-2002 06:17 PM

Re: LPE TT c5 vs supra turbo dyno!! (LANJET)

Thanks for the compliment Lanjet:)

As far as what is needed to make power like this, you are looking at ~$12K ($13K if you want over ~700 RWHP as you'll need cams, stock head stock cam cars max out at ~720 RWHP without NOS, cams run ~$1000) minimum in parts. The parts needed are an upgraded turbo kit (T88H is a good kit capable of ~850 RWHP about $3800 from http://www.suprastore.com, full fuel system (adjustable FPR, twin intank pumps, lines, injectors, fuel rail, etc. ($2500), then you need a front mount IC (~$1000 to $1500), gauges (boost, fuel pressure, egt, as low as $200 or as much as $750), clutch, (~$700), exhaust ($600), Blow Off Valve ($200), AEM computer ($1500) , boost controller ($400) . Most of these prices are a bit higher than they need to be but you can get a rough estimate, http://www.suprastore.com is a good source for prices.

You can spend much more than this though. The turbo kit on my car retails for over $10K and is normally sold in the high 7K range. You can spend $1800 on an intercooler, ~$1200+ on an HKS Ti exhaust, you can spend more on a boost controller. Some people also pay for labor I try to do as much as possible myself. I bought the car I have now with a lot of the parts it has and saved a bundle. And of course most people with these kinds of mods also do wheels, suspension, polishing, etc.

As far as twin VS single. The main reason to go to "big twins" on a Supra is for looks. The T88H can flow a bit more than my twin turbos.

[Modified by T66Supra, 4:43 PM 8/22/2002]

SlowC5 08-22-2002 06:25 PM

We get lots of Viper guys (John Hennessey himself) Vette guys (No Mercy, and LPE guys such as the fellow from Washington), etc. at Supra boards.
Oops, I got caught... :bb Ok, I want a supra. There, I said it. :eek:

T66 is always :cool:

I remember T66 posting and answering my questions about supra. :cheers:

AP 08-22-2002 06:26 PM

Re: LPE TT c5 vs supra turbo dyno!! (LANJET)

I think the real reason Supras can get high HP much cheaper than Corvettes, is market size ... their market is bigger ... plus it is engineered in Japan and a Turbo car already ... I really admire the 700RWHP+ Supra's ... it takes a lot of skill to make it work with that much HP.

The problem in the Corvette world is the market for TT's is small ... That is why it is cheaper on Mustangs and all other cheaper cars ... That is why ... if you want a fast car and still save money you have to go import, Mustang, or a classic Corvette ...

In 15 years, modding a C5 in your garage might be easier ... but today ... it is insanely hard ... but a high HP Mustang is easy ... cause the parts are still cheap and still considered "bolt-ons"

[Modified by AP, 5:28 PM 8/22/2002]

T66Supra 08-22-2002 06:38 PM

Re: LPE TT c5 vs supra turbo dyno!! (SlowC5)

SlowC5, I was trying to remember your handle:) You and No Mercy are always :cool: too:)

You should get a Supra TT, I for one would love to have both my Supra and a TT Vette in my garage:) And while I am dreaming a TT Viper too;)

[Modified by T66Supra, 4:40 PM 8/22/2002]

[Modified by T66Supra, 5:55 PM 8/22/2002]

Bill C 08-22-2002 07:39 PM

Re: LPE TT c5 vs supra turbo dyno!! (SlowC5)

Oops, I got caught... :bb Ok, I want a supra. There, I said it. :eek:

T66 is always :cool:

I remember T66 posting and answering my questions about supra. :cheers:
Slow C,

No deeeeep down inside you really want a F-16 JET... :lol:

Bill :cheers:

66ImpalaLT1 08-22-2002 07:49 PM

Doh, nevermind.

[Modified by 66ImpalaLT1, 5:54 PM 8/22/2002]

flynbludream 08-22-2002 07:59 PM

Racer, I never said go out and buy a Supra:) That 9.2 @ 151 MPH car is impressive as HE$L, as is Titan Motorsport's 9.0 @ 160 MPH 6speed Supra on drag radials.
Aww man, I don't want a flame war either but please don't compare Titan's 9.0 second stripped down gutted race shop car to an LPE customers 9.2 street car. The fastest 6 speed real true street car was SW's at 9.8 right? I think Marco has the fastest auto with a 9.4 right? I'm not talking about guys who race Supras for a living or have shop sponsored cars, I'm talking real street cars. You can't swing a dead cat at Supraforums without hitting someone with 700+rwhp. How many of those guys have hit 9's? How many guys are consistently in the 10's? You have to admit that the majority of the guys with this HP can't back it up CONSISTENTLY at the track. Hence the Supra highway roll legacy.

STAGED 08-22-2002 08:21 PM

Racer, I never said go out and buy a Supra:) That 9.2 @ 151 MPH car is impressive as HE$L, as is Titan Motorsport's 9.0 @ 160 MPH 6speed Supra on drag radials.
If you take Titan Motorsports Supra and ensure that it runs:
1) Pump 93 like the LPE 427 TT did
2) Catalytic convertors like the LPE 427 TT did
3) No nitrous like the LPE 427 TT did
4) Stock-like interior trim like the LPE 427 TT has

then I'd think the best the Titan can do is 10s at 135 mph...and that's a guess as I never witnessed a cat-convertor pump fuel Supra run better than 113.x mph traps in cool dry high baro pressure air and 130 mph on pump fuel but no cat-convertors. This comes from the fact that pump fuel criteria on a 3.0L 2JZ will restrict boost to 22psi (25 psi if you push it), even with an efficient turbo. Slap on cats (even high flow units) and one is looking a ultra-lousy boost response...I'd say big turbos need 5200rpms to reach full boost but with an offroad downpipe and a lot higher with cat-convertors in place. If stock cats rob about 40 rwhp on BPU Sups, I think cats (even high flow units) will rob 100+ rwhp on big turbo'd Sups. That's simply too-much concession to make on a high priced car. While the LPE 427 TT is gobs more money and more work than the common big-turbo's Supras, all that money and work are paid off in something a lot more rewarding...which is full boost by 3500rpm, quieter than a stock Z06 (according to motor trend), smog-clean, and fast as heck w/o any nitrous with more left if one boosts to 20psi and uses race gas!

Both are great cars, but if the 427 TT C5 was allowed to run race gas along with boost and tuning to take advantage of that and run no cat-convertors I seriously don't doubt 170+mph trap speeds, maybe close to 180mph trap speeds.

So the popular motto goes:

Big-turbo'd Supra: "600/700/800 rwhp and idles like a Lexus [as long as you don't mind using nitrous to help spool the larger single turbos in drag runs, use an illegal off-road pipe, can live with full boost rpm of 5000 rpm+, and use race fuel to make over 650-700 rwhp]"

427 TT: "600/700/800 rwhp, idles like a Cadillac, quieter than a Z06 in the highway, cleaner than granny's Volvo, pulls like a big-block truck from low-rpms, and all on pump gas [as long as you don't mind spending beaucoup moola]"

T66Supra 08-22-2002 08:37 PM

Re: LPE TT c5 vs supra turbo dyno!! (STAGED)

Staged, that 427 car was running race gas on the 9.2 run, some people on this forum know that as well:)

Also I have persoanlly witnessed a T66 car run 10.6 @ 135 MPH with a highflow cat. A T66 makes ~200 LESS RWHP than a Greddy T88H. Put 2 cats (like the LPE car has) in parallel and I doubt the Titan car would slow down much, of course this is all speculation. Jim Leiferman here in AZ dynoed 411 RWHP without a cat at BPU and 410 RWHP with a 3" highflow cat. The 40 RWHP you are talking about is cars with stock cats, they dyno ~360 to 380 RWHP with stock cats (stock cats are VERY restrictive). As far as noise, Saad had a Greddy exhaust in his 904 RWHP Supra at one time that was quiter than stock (and a stock Supra is quiter than a stock Z06). I for one like some rumble from my car.

As far as "idles like a Cadiallc" that's an insult to the Vette if you are saying a Supra "idles like a Lexus":) As far as NOS, I have as laggy a turbo kit as you normally see and don't need NOS to run good numbers at the track. I do however not run a cat, but I bet most people with LPE cars do the same thing, get rid of the cats and make a bit more power plus it lets you run leaded race gas if you so desire.

I do think a 427 cubic inch can make more power on pump gas, maybe as much as 100 RWHP, but frankly I rather run some race gas than risk running too much boost on pump gas (specially since you don't know what you are getting). I have run as much as 22 PSI which is over 700 RWHP or over 800 HP at the crank on 91 octane.

[Modified by T66Supra, 6:38 PM 8/22/2002]

T66Supra 08-22-2002 08:46 PM

Re: LPE TT c5 vs supra turbo dyno!! (STAGED)

By the way Satged, there's a local Z06 with a 427TT package that raced a local Single turbo Supra that dynoed 598 RWHP. The 427 was running pump gas so he was running low boost and lost to this Supra (the story was posted here with the owner of the 427TT and the mechanic admitting the loss). I can make significantly more HP than 598 RWHP on pump gas.

akw408 08-22-2002 09:04 PM

As far as gas mileage, I don't care much about that but my supra gets ~18 MPG around town and 25+ on the freeway, not the greatest but good enough for me. Also that Vette that went 9.2 was tested on race gas:) Some people on this forum know about that. Not that I care as I run race gas all the time (40 to 50% race gas) as my friend's gas station 10 minutes from my house has 101 unleaded at the pump. Driveability on my car, as with most turbo cars, is awesome, idles great and off boost is as docile as a Camry, when the boost kicks is when all hell breaks lose.

[Modified by T66Supra, 2:18 PM 8/22/2002]
Motor Trend reported that all performance was measured with pump gas.

AP 08-22-2002 10:14 PM

By the way Satged, there's a local Z06 with a 427TT package that raced a local Single turbo Supra that dynoed 598 RWHP. The 427 was running pump gas so he was running low boost and lost to this Supra (the story was posted here with the owner of the 427TT and the mechanic admitting the loss). I can make significantly more HP than 598 RWHP on pump gas.

That is true, the car in question was davidmax's car ... but street racing is not true racing ... and not an accurate way to say one car is faster than the other. Also ... ET's are not important because they rely on the drivers skill ... but MPH is the true measure of power and speed !!!

Devil Dog 08-22-2002 11:08 PM

Re: LPE TT c5 vs supra turbo dyno!! (AP)

Q.What do 500,600,and 700 rwhp Supras have in common?
A.They all run 12's

Didn't Toyota stop shipping Supra's in 1998?
Hello,its 2003 calling!
I notice that most Supras are nothing but dyno queens and their 1/4 mile performance never matches the dyno numbers,it really does not matter what type of power they lay down,they are still outdated. :lol:

T66Supra 08-23-2002 12:10 AM

Re: LPE TT c5 vs supra turbo dyno!! (akw408)

I realize that but I, and others on this forum, know people that were there, the car was running race gas:) No shame in that.

Devil Dog, I have seen my share of Z06's running 14's. So I guess I could say, what do 300 and 400 HP Vettes have in common? They all run 14's:) There's no such thing as a dyno queen car, there are dyno quuen DRIVERS. My car's performance, on radials no less, is a good indication of that.

Racer 08-23-2002 12:14 AM

Give it a rest already! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :sleep: :sleep: :seeya