CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   2016 Doors Hard To Close (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3720707-2016-doors-hard-to-close.html)

Dracla 10-02-2015 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by blueray16 (Post 1590615778)
Wow, what a timely thread. I just picked up my first Corvette yesterday and had a heck of a time closing the door. It sounded good and felt right but 3 times I had to pull over and come to a complete stop in order to open and slam the door. Annoying that I can't just pop it open and slam it without having to pull over and stop. Those electronic nannies again!
Guess I will disconnect the neg terminal before I go ahead with all my personalizations

If disconnecting a neg terminal on a 2016 works for you, I'd try it. Please come back and tell me/us if you were successful.

JJhummus 10-02-2015 03:36 PM

Mine lowers a little, but it is not enough to release the glass from the seal. My Driver's door is a bear and I typically pop the hatch when getting out and then shut the door.. Then I go back and lightly push on the rear hatch to let the auto-latch lock it. Pain at this point, but it has been in the garage because of the weather...

bbcb 10-02-2015 03:59 PM

Thank you GM ...you are making mechanics out of all Corvette buyers ..

I have owned a lot of new cars ...my C7 is the most expensive..

It also is the fastest , best looking , and great sounding .... it also has the most flaws ..paint ..fit and finish ... hard to close doors .. creaking roof ...cheap interior products etc.

young_gun05 10-02-2015 04:49 PM

I've also found the doors on my '16 are hard to close especially compared to a buddy's 15 z. I started a thread a while back trying to figure out how to adjust the indexing height of the windows with no luck. Mine are currently indexing but it doesn't seem to be enough to vent the cabin. When my car is in garage I leave the windows slightly down and doors close supper easy.

meyerweb 10-02-2015 05:39 PM

I wonder if this is a side-effect of getting rid of the vent in the rear. Fixing the hatch closing issue while creating a door closing issue.

More reasons to buy a 'vert. No problem closing the trunk or doors. :lol: When I slam the door, I can see the bottom edge of the roof lift slightly to release the pressure.

TEXHAWK0 10-02-2015 05:58 PM

Did you try the process noted in the owner's manual?

You do not have to wait until the car asks you to re-index the windows.

Close the doors
Start the vehicle
Hold the window switch up to the fully closed position...

Dracla 10-02-2015 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0 (Post 1590617503)
Did you try the process noted in the owner's manual?

You do not have to wait until the car asks you to re-index the windows.

Close the doors
Start the vehicle
Hold the window switch up to the fully closed position...

I do not find this process in the 2016 manual. Please please point me to a page. :flag:

CACTI 1 10-02-2015 06:49 PM

Here you go ......

Here you go ......

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...9285fd2a67.jpg

Dracla 10-02-2015 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by c6corvette (Post 1590617837)

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Dracla 10-02-2015 07:34 PM

OK, I found it on Page 46 just like you posted. I tried to Index the driver's window and it did not work. Guess I'll have to take the battery off line for 1-20 minutes.

Dads dream 10-02-2015 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dracla (Post 1590618081)
OK, I found it on Page 46 just like you posted. I tried to Index the driver's window and it did not work. Guess I'll have to take the battery off line for 1-20 minutes.

I have found that Glen-E advise is usually spot on.

dmhines 10-02-2015 08:03 PM

I don't think doors would close at all if indexing wasn't working. I wonder if door glass is adjusted wrong at factory. The tightness of glass against the weatherstripping can be changed by adjusting the glass regulators. The caps on the bottom of door cover the adjustment bolts. You need door panel off to do it right. I had door glass replaced on my car and ended up adjusting glass myself since body shop had it misaligned.

Once I had glass aligned right I noticed door was hard to close and determined it was the glass hitting the weatherstrip too soon. I adjust the glass slightly out and used the dollar bill trick to get it right. The glass should be tight enough against seal to hold a dollar bill but you should still be able to pull the dollar bill out with some resistance.

Walt White Coupe 10-03-2015 08:10 AM

The simple fact is that the doors on these cars are hard to close even with indexing. You have to learn to close them pretty hard or they won't latch.

427bob 10-03-2015 09:00 AM

Got the same problem with my 2016 and the doors. I do use the hook on the end of the door. Grab that and shut the door. For some strange reason the door closes easier when I shut the door the regular way. Go figure!!
I also have found more issues with this car than any of my Corvettes except the 1966 (my 1st of 15). Quality control had slipped back to the 60's!! And the orange peel is crazy bad.

Dracla 10-03-2015 09:18 AM

:flag:I found Indexing on page 46 as advertised. Tried it and at first thought it did not work. When I was out of the car, I could see that it did work, but the window did not open very far. It ultimately made the door a little easier to close, but it is not what the 2010 did. I guess that is progress but I do hope that GM does better with the 2017. Thanks to everyone for their contribution. :flag:

bbcb 10-03-2015 10:48 AM

Orange peel ... what orange peel ... the C7 2016 has a special paint job..

It's called texture paint ...it's something new .... I love it ... refrigerators sometimes have it too ... becoming very popular ...it hide finger prints ... and you don't get all that glare ....

JerryU 10-03-2015 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by JJhummus (Post 1590616508)
Mine lowers a little, but it is not enough to release the glass from the seal. My Driver's door is a bear and I typically pop the hatch when getting out and then shut the door.. Then I go back and lightly push on the rear hatch to let the auto-latch lock it. Pain at this point, but it has been in the garage because of the weather...

Funny, I have had my C7 for two years this week. I still can't get my hatch to latch without the door open (or windows-in fact have purchased a device to allow my FOB to open the windows remotely, a Window Valet. That could work for you but would be a pain just to close the doors.)
Although the hatch is an issue I have never had a problem closing the doors, even the passenger door that is seldom used closes by pushing on the glass next to the door. I don't use what I would consider excess force.
Good that you have a 2016 with the motorized latch (like I had on my C6) since many folks have reported paint cracking from latching the 2014/2015 by pushing! In fact when I tried pushing to latch the first time, I saw the hatch frame bend-so stopped.
The Bottom Line is the cars vary in air tightness. Some in fact were able to have the hatch latch from delivery using the GM handhold with the "memory wire activated vent," which GM publicized extensively. However it did not work for many of us and IMO they reverted back the motorized latch at least partially because of paint cracking warranty issues!
Folks would say my hatch latch issue would get better with time- after 2 yrs it still will not latch without a door or window open. Hope your door reacts better!

blueray16 10-03-2015 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by bbcb (Post 1590620730)
Orange peel ... what orange peel ... the C7 2016 has a special paint job..

It's called texture paint ...it's something new .... I love it ... refrigerators sometimes have it too ... becoming very popular ...it hide finger prints ... and you don't get all that glare ....

what he said!

blueray16 10-03-2015 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Dracla (Post 1590620247)
:flag:I found Indexing on page 46 as advertised. Tried it and at first thought it did not work. When I was out of the car, I could see that it did work, but the window did not open very far. It ultimately made the door a little easier to close, but it is not what the 2010 did. I guess that is progress but I do hope that GM does better with the 2017. Thanks to everyone for their contribution. :flag:

I just completed the window indexing as well. It worked and both doors now close much more easily.
Thanks to all

meyerweb 10-03-2015 01:53 PM

I don't think the window indexing is really intended to provide venting to make it easier to close the doors. The purpose of indexing is to lower the windows just enough to clear the groove they seal in at the edge of the roof, then raise the window into that groove after the door is closed.