CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Call from GM Customer Service about full synthetic Mobil 1 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3726336-call-from-gm-customer-service-about-full-synthetic-mobil-1-a.html)

RussM05 10-16-2015 10:58 PM

First is fact the term "synthetic" means nothing after a court ruling that there is little difference between the high quality refined mineral oil and so-called synthetic oils.

Second, while Mobile 1 oil is a high quality oil, the blended synthetic oils qualified by by GM is fine except if it's tracked. Following the manual is advisable.

Vetteman Jack 10-16-2015 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by vettman96 (Post 1590701785)
I fail to understand why GM and the dealerships have so much confusion and lack of communications over something as simple and basic as a freeking oil change.

How hard can it be to get everyone on the same page?:rofl:

:iagree: It is pretty pathetic that this is even a problem after all this time.

Thunder22 10-17-2015 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by BrittHealey (Post 1590699374)
The GM part number is 12345885.

Bulk Mobil 1 part # is 89021614.

rcooper 10-17-2015 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by janicept (Post 1590698096)
I just had my oil changed for the third time at the dealer about two weeks and was wondering why my fuel efficiency was not as good as the C6. I thought they were putting full synthetic in it but when I asked they said only semi synthetic is required by GM. After looking on the forum I could see they were not up to date on the info so I emailed the dealer about the forum and GM. The dealer emailed back and said they are only required to put semi synthetic.

Just today a lady from GM customer service called and said if I ask for Mobil 1 full synthetic that's what I should get at no extra charge. I mentioned that others on the forum had been charged and the money was refunded by GM. She said she would refund any additional payments I had made for full synthetic but I had not paid anything since I didn't realize they weren't using it. She said she was also going to contact the dealer to get this straightened out. It did seem like she was saying that I do have to request Mobil 1 full synthetic in order to ensure I get it. At least my last free oil change will be with the good stuff.

460 H.P. might have something to do with that.

speedlink 10-17-2015 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by vettman96 (Post 1590701785)
I fail to understand why GM and the dealerships have so much confusion and lack of communications over something as simple and basic as a freeking oil change.

How hard can it be to get everyone on the same page?:rofl:

Doesn't seem confusing to me at all. If the dealer can get away with using a less expensive oil, they will. If the customer is knowledgeable enough to know what they should be getting, then the dealer should do what GM directs them to.
We just need to find the most ethical and reliable dealer.
It shouldn't be that way. But unfortunately in todays world it is. :ack:

BlueKnight87 10-18-2015 03:20 PM

Oil Change

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Ammo (Post 1590710417)
Had my first one today, just checked the pn and it match's what you say. It also says 8.8 so I assume that is 8.8 and the correct amount. Picked it up Monday and had 817 miles this morning.

Mike,

Did you get a look under your car when thy did the oil change? I install C7 Carbon side skirts yesterday and noticed that my left rear snap in jack pad didn't clear the carbon fiber that wrapped under the frame. But was flush on the passenger side. I then discovered that about 8 to 10 inches back from the Jack Pad there is a 3/8" plastic hose sticking out preventing the carbon fiber (Not the Side skirt) from fitting flush. Do you have the same hose(drain) coming out or from a different area, or maybe it's something that was cutoff piece. It seems to be caught or attached.

I appreciate it if you could check...

Thanks
Bruce