CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Onstar upgrade killed PAL (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3733315-onstar-upgrade-killed-pal.html)

kawal 01-02-2016 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by philadd (Post 1591233864)
I just bought an 09Z a couple of days ago which had an iPod connection already added to the car. I didn't know what kind because it didn't seem to work. I also didn't have the XM bands available to select on the nav.

Long story short, after I got the car home I found the GM PAL box in the passenger foot well, but the wire harness wasn't plugged in. I plugged it back in, but the box just cycles and within a couple hours, the battery barely had enough juice to start the car. It also sounded like the nav unit fan (or something that sounds like it) was still running. I unplugged the PAL for now. The car is a US car.

Does anyone know if disabling Onstar by unplugging the J1, J2, and J3 plugs will resolve the issue? I don't plan on activating Onstar and would prefer to have the XM and iPod connections working.

Since you have a U.S. car, I would guess that the PAL problem is unrelated to Onstar. It sounds like you may have a defective PAL module. Here is the PAL Troubleshooting page:

http://www.kawal.net/troubleshoot.htm

If the PAL module fails and continually clicks, the only solution is to replace the PAL module. Unfortunately, the cost of a PAL has doubled from a few years ago and a dealer typically charges about $330 for a new one. (Although there is one on ebay now for $250 until someone snatches it up.) You need GM part number 17800593 for the Vette.

When the PAL module is disconnected from the PAL installation harness, you will also lose XM because the XM communication signal passes through the PAL on Pins 7 and 8.

If you want XM back and a functioning iPod interface, I'd suggest you replace the module. You can email me at ray@kawal.net if you need some help. Here is my main website:

http://www.kawal.net/vettemods.htm

Ray

Dano523 01-02-2016 09:09 PM

Hate to say it, but if the GM Pal is bad, then just disconnect it and go with an Isimple 655 instead.

The 655 with give you both blue tooth into the radio, as well as a hard line connection for charging/connecting the phone that way as well, and only cost around $115.

Here is a link to Dennis, and he can talk you through the easy install.
http://shop.doubledmods.com/C6-CORVE...te-ISGM655.htm

kawal 01-03-2016 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dano523 (Post 1591238551)
Hate to say it, but if the GM Pal is bad, then just disconnect it and go with an Isimple 655 instead.

The 655 with give you both blue tooth into the radio, as well as a hard line connection for charging/connecting the phone that way as well, and only cost around $115.

Here is a link to Dennis, and he can talk you through the easy install.
http://shop.doubledmods.com/C6-CORVE...te-ISGM655.htm

This problem you're going to find is that the PAL, when installed "the GM way", has a special and unique installation harness that requires cutting into the main wiring harness way over on the left in the clutch area. 90% of the difficulty of installing the PAL that way is because of that wiring harness, which makes the installation pretty irreversible. You will not be able to just unplug the PAL and simply connect another iPod interface like the iSimple 655 in its place. You can't "just disconnect it".

Also, the PAL is the only interface that will display on the HUD because it was uniquely designed for the C6 Corvette. You'll find the PAL, and especially my Version 2 PAL, has numerous features that you won't find on other iPod interfaces that are not specifically designed for your Vette. If you want to save some bucks, I'd recommend you look on eBay and see if that 17800593 is still available for $250.

Good luck,

Ray

philadd 01-05-2016 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by kawal (Post 1591237900)
Since you have a U.S. car, I would guess that the PAL problem is unrelated to Onstar. It sounds like you may have a defective PAL module. Here is the PAL Troubleshooting page:

http://www.kawal.net/troubleshoot.htm

If the PAL module fails and continually clicks, the only solution is to replace the PAL module. Unfortunately, the cost of a PAL has doubled from a few years ago and a dealer typically charges about $330 for a new one. (Although there is one on ebay now for $250 until someone snatches it up.) You need GM part number 17800593 for the Vette.

When the PAL module is disconnected from the PAL installation harness, you will also lose XM because the XM communication signal passes through the PAL on Pins 7 and 8.

If you want XM back and a functioning iPod interface, I'd suggest you replace the module. You can email me at ray@kawal.net if you need some help. Here is my main website:

Ray

Thanks Kawal and Dano523. Disabling Onstar didn't help, which, honestly, was a last resort attempt. I went through your troubleshooting steps, which pretty much leads me to believe the box is dead. Bummer. I jumped pins 7 and 8 so that XM still works, at least until I get a replacement PAL.

kawal 01-20-2016 12:43 AM

Good news for Canadian PAL owners

Today I received a PAL module from a Canadian Vette owner whose PAL module cratered when GM updated his Onstar software. I tried it out in my '07 Z06 and like he experienced, the module just clicked continuously and would not shut down - therefore the battery would drain quickly. I also could not get a PAL menu to display because the PAL module would not switch between XM1 and XM2. Usually a PAL module with these symptoms means it's ready for the trash can.
But since it was useless as is, I decided to see if I could reflash the PAL software with my Version2 software, which offers many features the original PAL software lacks. To my pleasant surprise, the module reflashed OK, so I again tried it out in my Vette. It worked just fine, and shut down normally.
So what I can conclude from this experience is that the Onstar upgrade must have somehow corrupted the PAL software, rendering it unusable. I've emailed the owner of the PAL to ask him what he would now like to do with the module. If he still has the Onstar upgrade he MIGHT want to try my software and see if it works. There's a chance it might work OK. If not, he would have to resend it to me and I could likely again reflash the software so he would have a working PAL if he has his dealer load the original Onstar software back in. In any case, at least he would have a working PAL module he could either use or sell to another Vette owner. Since new PALs now cost over $300, there is certainly some value to his PAL.
My cost to upgrade a PAL module to Version 2 is $35 plus $5 for return shipping to a U.S. address or $25 shipping to a Canadian address.
I'm leaving town tomorrow for about a week, so he will have some time to think about what he wants me to do with his PAL. The Version 2 software adds a user selectable auxiliary input, a PAUSE button, new display features, Direct Mode, and better overall performance. But most of all, at least it works again! :thumbs:

Ray

kawal 02-16-2016 08:12 PM

Update on fix for Onstar destroying the PAL

I heard back from the Vette owner for whom I reflashed his PAL with the Version 2 software. His PAL now works perfectly, even though he has the Onstar upgrade. He now has more features on his PAL and XM is once again restored.

I also received two more PALs from a second Canadian owner who received the Onstar upgrade. One of the PALs had corrupted software and continuously clicked like the first owner. The other PAL had the original PAL software, version C4509051, and that PAL was OK, but it would not work in his car with the Onstar upgrade. It didn't continually click (and thereby drain the battery) but it would not function. I reflashed the software to my Version 2 software (2.2.F132) in both PALs, and they both now work perfectly in my '07 Z06. I sent them back to the second owner and he will try them both out in his Vette with the Onstar upgrade. I expect both to work fine since they are identical to the first owner's PAL.

The only thing we haven't learned yet is if the Version 2 software can be corrupted by the Onstar Upgrade like the original PAL software. For that reason, anyone with Version 2 software should disconnect the PAL if they want a dealer to upgrade their Onstar in Canada. Once the Onstar is upgraded, they can reconnect the PAL and they should be good to go.

It's too bad this happened, and GM should take responsibility for it, but at least we have a solution.

Ray

Cokeisgood 02-24-2016 01:00 AM

Hello everyone that has read this post.
Well there is some very good news for me to post.
I sent my 2 PAL modules to Ray in Washington State 2 weeks ago. Today I received them back from Ray, and all is not just good, it's freaking FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!
And I'm not just kidding here........
So from what I can see is this: The OnStar re-program of our Canadian Vets to Digital Cellular network corrupts our PAL modules.
1: If the PAL modules cycles on and off (ie - clicks like a penny hooker on cheep night) then the only thing to do is remove your module, get ahold of Ray at, http://www.kawal.net/vettemods.htm , tell him about your issue, he has the abililty of re-program your PAL Module to the flash program which add new features and fixes the cycling issue.
2: If your car goes in to GM to get the new program. Make sure your PAL Module is disconnected from the wiring harness which is a large black plug on the back of the module. The module is located in the Coupe models, passenger foot well.

Tomorrow I will be getting ahold of GM Canada and talking to them about this major F-up they have started with out any research what so ever.

Cheers one and all and a big cheers to Ray.

kawal 02-26-2016 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Cokeisgood (Post 1591626587)
Hello everyone that has read this post.
Well there is some very good news for me to post.
I sent my 2 PAL modules to Ray in Washington State 2 weeks ago. Today I received them back from Ray, and all is not just good, it's freaking FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!
And I'm not just kidding here........
So from what I can see is this: The OnStar re-program of our Canadian Vets to Digital Cellular network corrupts our PAL modules.
1: If the PAL modules cycles on and off (ie - clicks like a penny hooker on cheep night) then the only thing to do is remove your module, get ahold of Ray at, http://www.kawal.net/vettemods.htm , tell him about your issue, he has the abililty of re-program your PAL Module to the flash program which add new features and fixes the cycling issue.
2: If your car goes in to GM to get the new program. Make sure your PAL Module is disconnected from the wiring harness which is a large black plug on the back of the module. The module is located in the Coupe models, passenger foot well.

Tomorrow I will be getting ahold of GM Canada and talking to them about this major F-up they have started with out any research what so ever.

Cheers one and all and a big cheers to Ray.

I'm glad it worked for you Lee. Those PAL modules are expensive, plus they are a great iPod interface - the best there is for a C6 Corvette.

Ray

kawal 03-28-2018 12:34 PM

A fellow from Texas just called me, because he bought a C6 from the east coast that came from Canada. His Onstar wouldn't work, so he took it to a dealer, who advised him to upgrade the Onstar, which they did. However, his car battery soon drained and the dealer found that the PAL module wouldn't shut down, so the "simple" solution was to just disconnect the PAL module by removing the 16 pin connector. That solved the battery draining problem, but now he has no XM and no PAL.

He is shipping me his PAL module so I can upgrade the software in the PAL and hopefully will correct his problem. The PAL software upgrade is $35 bucks, but since Corvette PALs are now over $330 it will be a good option for him - plus he'll get his XM1/2 buttons back on his radio.

Ray

Cokeisgood 03-29-2018 12:30 AM

Ray know how to fix....

Originally Posted by kawal (Post 1596876440)
A fellow from Texas just called me, because he bought a C6 from the east coast that came from Canada. His Onstar wouldn't work, so he took it to a dealer, who advised him to upgrade the Onstar, which they did. However, his car battery soon drained and the dealer found that the PAL module wouldn't shut down, so the "simple" solution was to just disconnect the PAL module by removing the 16 pin connector. That solved the battery draining problem, but now he has no XM and no PAL.

He is shipping me his PAL module so I can upgrade the software in the PAL and hopefully will correct his problem. The PAL software upgrade is $35 bucks, but since Corvette PALs are now over $330 it will be a good option for him - plus he'll get his XM1/2 buttons back on his radio.

Ray

Hay Ray. You fixed mine. Worked fantastic. I sold my 2007 C6 recently and purchased a 2013 ZR1. No PAL System in it yet..but soon :canadaflag:

kawal 03-29-2018 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Cokeisgood (Post 1596881116)
Hay Ray. You fixed mine. Worked fantastic. I sold my 2007 C6 recently and purchased a 2013 ZR1. No PAL System in it yet..but soon :canadaflag:

Why don't you pull the PAL from your '07 and stick it in the '13? PALs have gone up in price and are now around $330 bucks. :ack:

partisan 08-07-2018 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Cokeisgood (Post 1590801078)
Hello everyone. We'll here is my problem. I live in Canada and Canada is removing the CDMA stream, so Onstar called me about an upgrade module that give is GSM (3g) network availability. I said yes, paid my subscription fee for the year. My Module was sent to our local GM dealership to be installed.
I dropped off my car, had it installed. My son picked up the Vet and called me, telling something about the iPod not working and there is a clicking coming from the floor on the passage get foot well. I couldn't check it out so I told him bring the car back to GM the next day for them to have a loom, and guess what. Dead battery, so after jumping the car the click was back so we checked the PAL module and it constantly cycling. Battery dead again the next day. So called the dealer to have a look.
I was told the PAL module failed, I said, no can't be. I have spare just incase, we tried the new PAL module, & still no change. I asked them to install the old Onstar module back, still the same problem.
Anyone have an idea as to wtf is going on....
Every thing worked one day now PAL don't work next day.....after Onstar bright idea, Andy they want me to foot the bill......

ray@kawal.net
To
dougil@bellsouth.net
Aug 6 at 1:43 PMHi Doug,

Your PAL circuit board just happened to be one of the newer ones that Mediatronic built after GM ran out of them a few years ago. Mediatronics built about 500 new PALs, but the first 100 or so didn’t have the pins. The flash pins don’t have any effect on the board’s performance, but for an unknown reason, yours wouldn’t shut down properly. I suspect that the original installation (flash) of the software was not complete, but I’m only guessing. I noticed that when I pressed the Version button in the Settings menu, your read “C4509051 9051”. It should read “C4509051”, so I had never seen that before. In any case, my Version 2 software installation seemed to cure the shutdown problem. Your version is now “2.2F132”.

I have seen shutdown issues with quite a few PAL boards over the years. Most of the time a relay fails (or perhaps control to the relay) and the board becomes junk. There is no solution I know of except replacement of the board, which essentially means the owner must buy a whole new PAL kit. When Mediatronics was in business, they would gladly send an owner a replacement module, but that is no longer an option. But sometimes a shutdown problem might be cured, as yours did, with a software reflash. A few years ago, Canadian PAL owners were complaining that after their GM dealer did an Onstar update, their PALs failed and they would no longer shut down properly. I’m sure many of the owners, not knowing there was a fix, simply threw the PALs away. But most PALs were installed with the original OEM installation harness. This means that when the PAL is removed, communication to the XM receiver is also removed (communication passes through the PAL), so they also lost XM. With the original harness installation, this is very difficult to correct. With my XM installation harness, you simply remove the harness as well as the PAL module.

It would be nice if other owners at least knew about a potential fix. It would save them from throwing away an expensive PAL module that is still the best iPod and iPhone interface available. Plus it is now much more expensive than it used to be.

Feel free to use any of my information on the forum.

Regards,

Ray