CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Autocrossing & Roadracing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing-23/)
-   -   Spoiler alert WEATHER TECH LONG BEACH RACE (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing/3809876-spoiler-alert-weather-tech-long-beach-race.html)

Bill32 04-17-2016 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Donny Brass (Post 1592019406)
not to start a argument, but the 911 is in the tire tracks of the Corvette, so how was the Corvette too wide........... the camera in the 912 is in the 912, therefore if the 912 is too far inside, the Corvette will look to be wide........

Were you watching the in car? Because what's shown here is just the aftermath.

jcsperson 04-17-2016 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Donny Brass (Post 1592019406)
not to start a argument, but the 911 is in the tire tracks of the Corvette, so how was the Corvette too wide........... the camera in the 912 is in the 912, therefore if the 912 is too far inside, the Corvette will look to be wide........

The key. That was the line all day long. It doesn't suddenly change.

Bill32 04-17-2016 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by jcsperson (Post 1592019856)
The key. That was the line all day long. It doesn't suddenly change.

Passes for position in a road race are very..........very rarely made by following the racing line. That's not how it's done.

Richard Ames 04-17-2016 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Bill32 (Post 1592020042)
Passes for position in a road race are very..........very rarely made by following the racing line. That's not how it's done.

If any pass contact is made it Is side by side and not a T Bone and behind the door to push the rear of the car. It was a foul by the 912 to better the 911 position. At Sebring they did it too early and still lost. IMSA needs to take action against the spoiled Porsche Brats.

Whis9 04-17-2016 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Richard Ames (Post 1592020093)
If any pass contact is made it Is side by side and not a T Bone and behind the door to push the rear of the car. It was a foul by the 912 to better the 911 position. At Sebring they did it too early and still lost. IMSA needs to take action against the spoiled Porsche Brats.

Agreed, not sure if Bill32 had too many cocktails during the race.

dvandentop 04-17-2016 09:16 PM

regardless just blows all the way around

Bill32 04-17-2016 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Whis9 (Post 1592020344)
Agreed, not sure if Bill32 had too many cocktails during the race.

And your racing experience is ? Please post your resume.

Bill32 04-17-2016 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Richard Ames (Post 1592020093)
. It was a foul by the 912 to better the 911 position..

Do you have proof of that?

I'm not saying the Porsche was guilt free but if a car in front of me baubles like that I'm certainly going to move off line and see if a pass can be attempted.

Again, did the Porsche come in too hot, yea. But it was an attempt to set up a pass.

Richard Ames 04-17-2016 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bill32 (Post 1592020526)
Do you have proof of that?

I'm not saying the Porsche was guilt free but if a car in front of me baubles like that I'm certainly going to move off line and see if a pass can be attempted.

Again, did the Porsche come in too hot, yea. But it was an attempt to set up a pass.

You would actually TBone somebody to pass your avatar could not take it. Sorry but I cannot get your drift.

Lawdogg 04-17-2016 09:33 PM

Porsche had no chance of completing that pass. Vette looks to be right where it is supposed to be. Porsche is on a T-bone line.

jcsperson 04-17-2016 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Bill32 (Post 1592020042)

No doubt, but there has to be room. There was not only no room, he also didn't have position, and that is not an overtaking area on that track. Look at the tire tracks. Milner is on the very inside of every tire track through that turn. You couldn't put a go kart between him and the barrier.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...735794b014.jpg

promocop 04-17-2016 10:09 PM

Im telling you, I'm watching this and I just FEEL the P cars going to do something and they did. For sure, that was a nasty and unsportanlike move by them...where is protests from team management??

Bill32 04-17-2016 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by jcsperson (Post 1592020853)
No doubt, but there has to be room. There was not only no room, he also didn't have position, and that is not an overtaking area on that track. Look at the tire tracks. Milner is on the very inside of every tire track through that turn. You couldn't put a go kart between him and the barrier.

Have you watched the in car vid from the 912?
I'm just askng from a perspective stand point.

Donny Brass 04-17-2016 10:14 PM

IMSA: Makowiecki takes blame for Corvette clash

Porsche North America racing driver Fred Makowiecki accepted blame for the late-race hit that spun Corvette Racing's Tommy Milner and handed victory to the sister Porsche 911 RSR. "The collision in the penultimate lap was my fault," the Frenchman (ABOVE) said after placing seventh in IMSA's BUBBA burger Sports Car Grand Prix at Long Beach. "I was a touch too optimistic heading into the corner."

a touch ??? is that a subtle admission of intent ?

jcsperson 04-17-2016 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Bill32 (Post 1592020887)
Have you watched the in car vid from the 912?
I'm just askng from a perspective stand point.

Yup. It's right here:

80atez 04-17-2016 11:07 PM

Even if he would have made it in front of the corvette before the apex, how would he have made the turn? He'd be heading straight for the far wall, braking hard, and blocking the vette. How is that any better than driving the racing line and blocking the clearly faster Porsches?

Driving on a track that doesn't permit much passing in the turns is no justification for stupid driving.

No matter what any driver says, everyone knows that subconsciously we all know that the inside rear driver will fare far better than the front car when they touch, so the stupidity twists into cunning to the driver seeing red...

Bill32 04-17-2016 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by jcsperson (Post 1592021074)
Yup. It's right here:

AS I said twice before, yea, the Porsche came in too hot.

But @20 seconds, the Corvette starts to loose traction under braking, the Porsche starts moving to the right looking for an opening but he was going too fast.

If the Corvette didn't have that bauble, he would have been a few feet further up the track, might have been hit anyway might not.

If the Corvette would have had to make one more correction, the Porsche may have had an opportunity to present himself and they could have had a good ol drag race to the next corner.

Donny Brass 04-17-2016 11:36 PM

So, if the Corvette does not bobble, the "too hot" Porsche hits the corner of the Vette and completes the pass instead of spinning the Corvette ?

the Porsche was out of control and was not making that corner even if the Vette was not there........

promocop 04-17-2016 11:42 PM

IMSA needs to penalize the P team for the next race. CLEARLY THE PORSCHE was headed to the wall...

sdurg24 04-18-2016 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Bill32 (Post 1592018662)
What really happened:

The Corvette was a tad too fast on corner exit in the previous corner and got squirrely, this caused him to drift out to the left a bit AND caused him to overslow.

The Corvette "Opened the door, driver's right" and the Porsche tried to put his nose in there to see if there would be an advantage on corner exit.

If the Corvette would have gone full throttle a couple of feet earlier (where he normally would have), he wouldn't have gotten tapped.

As someone else said, just a racing incident.

Well I guess that would be the standard Porsche defense statement and everybody is entitled to that but.........IMHO it sure looks like the kind of practiced take down move they teach at police driving schools and that coupled with the recent past history of Porsche is more than highly suspect. Is this how IMSA RACING will be handled in the future? Why shouldn't Corvette do EXACTLY THE SAME THING next time out? What is to prevent them from doing just that? Certainly not IMSA OFFICIALS. On the other hand it has gotten NASCAR high ratings in the past along with the inevitable soap opera continuation for who knows how long. Not why I watch road racing. :eek: