CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Mid-Engine C5 Lola T70 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/4166964-mid-engine-c5-lola-t70.html)

KnightDriveTV 07-23-2018 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Fastbird (Post 1597647001)
I've been up close and personal with a GTM. LOVE them. Thought I wanted to build one one of these days, until I got up close and personal with one. There's not a snowballs chance I'd ever fit in one (I'm 6'3"). No way no how. Cool freaking kit cars though.

That was actually something we were working on, moving forward. In the silver car, the seats were dropped by 2 inches. I was redesigning the roof halo and doing a double bubble. Our plan was to use the FFR chassis/kit, but modify it with a custom body, addressing some of the issues.

I wanted to develop a design from scratch around the C5 Corvette running gear, but the financing side of it wanted the GTM platform. The nature of a car builder vs a money guy with napkin dreams but....inevitably it all imploded anyway and he went the Martha Stewart route (big house). GTM's were pretty stout cars to drive if you could get it done under 50k. I did one well under than with a used chassis. You get into the 40k and less zone, it's a lot of machine for the money, despite the issues.

KnightDriveTV 07-23-2018 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by RSILVR1 (Post 1597643119)
Sorry everyone,

i didn’t know this thread would not continue....

NO, this is no kit car, it’s a scratch built mid engine C5 chassis I’m stretching a Lola T70 Mk3B body over.

420-LS with G50 5-speed with 930 parts....

i take it it I have to go back & start all over for everyone?

I used to blow G50's to bits with stock LS2's. You ever run one before, with an LS?

RSILVR1 07-24-2018 12:55 AM

I’m always looking at transaxles, I’m looking into a Griffin race 5-speed. I’m thinking of second bigger 500-inch tall deck monster some friends build that would fit just right in this thing. Griffin boys can build some pretty stout boxes.
1000hp big torque, with less than 2000lbs should go okay...

KnightDriveTV 07-24-2018 11:03 AM

I'm not familiar with the Griffin. Mendeoloa transmission was one we used, very stout.

2nd place, was the Ricardo (RCR/Superlite cars...Fran...he used to have a line on a lot of them...they are indestructible)

G50's will survive, but you have to baby them in 1st and 2nd for sure, roll in the throttle. We put like 15 grand into a G50 and it held up....we got all the internals shotpeened and rm polished, increased the strength of the studs that mount the gearsets internally, etc. Ended up being a 20k+ transmission though. The G50's have a small ring and pinion and big torque V8's want to split that apart, pushing the entire gearset to the rear. I blew out the rear of the G50s with chunks flyin a few times...lol.

I alway wanted to build on the entire C5 drivetrain with motor>corvette transmission>rear end, but the assembly gets a little long. Superlite cars makes the old Cadillac prototype replica that uses that assembly though...so reliable.

KnightDriveTV 07-24-2018 11:07 AM

I'd rethink Griffin...Squarespace posted this on their site about Griffin...gotta make sure you buy from another owner versus the company apparently...lol. Even their website is down...well, it has some strange redirect...it did end up coming up. Looks like nice stuff for sure...wonder how long you wait to actually get your gearbox.

UPDATE: UNFORTUNATELY, THIS COMPANY, AND IT'S PRINCIPAL IS NO LONGER RECOMMENDED. WE SUGGEST YOU DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS VENDOR, AS THERE HAVE BEEN NUMEROUS COMPLAINTS.

RSILVR1 07-24-2018 11:13 AM

Indeed,
i don’t like using Porsche crap. Griffin has basically a Doug-Nash 5-speed with 10” ringgear mounted on the front.

Fran doesn’t like what I’m doing here using a corvette chassis & stretching the body....
Those guy’s don’t like it if your not buying everything from them....
I’ve got all the Lola parts I need without calling His company, including 2-glass windshields.

I’ll upload so chassis pic’s for viewing, this is an easy conversion of the chassis.

RSILVR1 07-24-2018 11:22 AM

I actually have family in the little town they are in.
next time I’m down there I’ll stop in & check.

The Indy car guys in St-Louis have Hewland G600’s for sale,

KnightDriveTV 07-24-2018 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by RSILVR1 (Post 1597657647)
Indeed,
i don’t like using Porsche crap. Griffin has basically a Doug-Nash 5-speed with 10” ringgear mounted on the front.

Fran doesn’t like what I’m doing here using a corvette chassis & stretching the body....
Those guy’s don’t like it if your not buying everything from them....
I’ve got all the Lola parts I need without calling His company, including 2-glass windshields.

I’ll upload so chassis pic’s for viewing, this is an easy conversion of the chassis.

Aw cmon now...Fran is a great guy man...super knowledgeable, loves cars...he's just a business man is all. Fran showed me his secret lair once...lol. HUGE surface plate and doing some clay mockups in another building no one knows is his, and I wasn't buyin anything. You have to admit, the guy has built a great company and for the overall market, Frans stuff is damn nice. I know Dave Smith pretty well from FFR, also a very humble guy but...ya know...you build a big brand like that, you're gonna have a little edge to you here and there.

I like what you're doing...car looks really nice on the chassis. Get it done! Let's get this rollin