CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   [C2] Radio shuts off when head lights are on?? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/4180437-radio-shuts-off-when-head-lights-are-on.html)

68hemi 08-24-2018 05:51 PM

Thanks to everyone here for the suggestions. I will update this thread when it is figured out. This is certainly and odd problem and the "fix" is something that should be available here for anyone else that might have this problem in the future. :thumbs:

Huckleberry5464 08-28-2018 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by 68hemi (Post 1597855092)
I bought a 1965 Corvette radio (saving my original) to have converted to the latest version with blue tooth etc. and installed a speaker set up in the rear of the coupe. It works fine until I turn the lights on and then it looses all power, not even a light. I have no idea what is wrong or where to start looking. The radio is wired in using the factory plug. Anybody have any ideas?

Hey 68hemi... I just experienced almost the same issue. My dad and I both have 64 corvettes. We both had of the Aurora solid-state conversion done to both of our radios including Bluetooth, USB and the whole 9 yards. When we went to install my dad's radio in his car his radio would not work unless we had the headlights on. It really stumped us for a while. We called the guy who did the conversion for us and it turns out there was something with the instructions from Aurora that confused them and they were looking at it as a "mirror image" he said. So on that factory three prong plug, they had the radio inside wired backwards. So we flipped two wires in the harness from the car itself and it worked fine. I took the radio back from my 64 and it had been wired the same way. They had to flip things inside the radio for the factory car harness to work as it should. Maybe the person who did your conversion made the same mistake? It's worth looking into I think.

Frankie the Fink 08-28-2018 11:31 AM

It would be easy enough to simulate that with two jumper wires between the dash harness and the upgraded radio connector - but be damned careful you don't hook the ground wire to either of the power sources (ignition or lights) by mistake...

A 5 minute, "quick and dirty" test....swap the two dash harness power sources to the radio connector and make sure the ground connector is solid to ground...

dplotkin 08-28-2018 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by 65GGvert (Post 1597857772)
I would check to see if the black wire with the ring on it still grounded at the z bar. Then I would pull the dial light bulb for the radio out of the radio case and see if it works then. I personally think the internal radio dial light bulb circuit is wired wrong, if indeed the stock plug was not modified.

That the rheostat has any affect on operation is indicative of a miswiring. I own one of these "up-to-date" conversion radios and they are mighty sensitive to system voltage. The dirty power in the old cars is not friendly to this radio on a few chips. They will crash during a voltage drop, such as crank or headlamps if idle is too low. What is your battery voltage at high idle?

Dan

68hemi 09-17-2018 08:15 PM

UPDATE
My mechanic figured out this problem. He said the factory wiring diagram is wrong and the guy that did the radio conversion follow that diagram as well. He said the middle connection is the ground. He said all is working well now.

Frankie the Fink 09-17-2018 08:25 PM

I didn't know of that particular mistake on the factory documents -- I do know of others...
I quit using them and stick with the Dr Rebuild schematics that have been tested on real cars....no mistakes...

65GGvert 09-17-2018 09:08 PM

The center one with two black wires, one to the radio and one to the zbar to ground the cluster and most everything electrical from the firewall back in the car, including rear lights..

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...3ec4db32e6.jpg

68hemi 09-20-2018 08:52 PM

Thanks to all that helped in this thread in case I forgot to thank you using the "Thanks" icon.

This was a weird deal that I stumbled upon my radio intermittently when I realized it was related to the lights being on. Then one of you asked about turning the dash lights off and it revealed more. These electrical gremlins are bad enough without the factory wiring diagrams being wrong. :willy: :ack: :crazy: :eek:

Frankie the Fink 09-21-2018 08:16 AM

EXACTLY why I use the OOSOEZ pictorial schematics by a certain vendor.....the circuits are tested on real cars and the wires, by color, are show,n in pictures, as to where they go into each connector.

I get ridiculed that I use these because I can't read an electrical schematic....that makes me laugh.

If some of you saw the 3' by 5' "books" of schematics with page after page of electrical chicken scratch I worked with as an avionics technician you'd crap...

JohnZ 09-21-2018 08:47 PM

I remember the beating I took 20 years ago when, as a "new guy" on the Forum, I pointed out when answering an electrical question, that everything in the car from the firewall rearward was grounded by the black wire in the center cavity of the radio connector, which had a pigtail with a ring connector that screwed to the bottom of the Z-bar reinforcement to accomplish the ground. Some folks still don't believe it. :thumbs:

buns 09-21-2018 11:40 PM

The AIM clearly shows the ground on the center terminal.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...10f833b7fc.jpg

68hemi 09-21-2018 11:58 PM

I don't remember the exact way my mechanic described it but he said the factory wiring harness was wrong according to the wiring diagram he has (I think downloaded from the Internet) and he said likely the radio convertor was using the same diagram because it was wired the same as the harness but it was causing this problem. He said he had to switch two of the terminals.
I did not have the car very long before I switched out the original radio for the like type that I had converted. In fact I had bought the other radio and had it sent off before I even received the car since I knew I wanted to save the original one. I remember the original one worked SOMETIMES but don't recall if it was doing the same thing as the converted one since it took me a while to determine what was causing the radio to not work.

65GGvert 09-22-2018 06:00 AM

Miswiring had to be on the radio side. The mechanic just switched the car side to match the radio and he should have done vice versa. If you put one in word correctly now it won't match the car again. (If he indeed did switch the car side)

Frankie the Fink 09-22-2018 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by JohnZ (Post 1598027923)
I remember the beating I took 20 years ago when, as a "new guy" on the Forum, I pointed out when answering an electrical question, that everything in the car from the firewall rearward was grounded by the black wire in the center cavity of the radio connector, which had a pigtail with a ring connector that screwed to the bottom of the Z-bar reinforcement to accomplish the ground. Some folks still don't believe it. :thumbs:

I believe it for sure John and there is much talk about cleaning up the bulkhead connectors but people shouldn't neglect the rear harness connector at the driver's side kick panel!