CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   Reviews hit next week, will anyone change their minds? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4328973-reviews-hit-next-week-will-anyone-change-their-minds.html)

walter toly 10-09-2019 01:47 PM

No!

Foosh 10-09-2019 01:52 PM

I dunno, sometimes a mag will hand something off to someone like Randy Pobst. I'd certainly be interested in reading what he did with it and thought about it. However, I've already learned enough to make my decision.

Sin City 10-09-2019 02:00 PM

Oh please the US press will fawn over it like they do everything.

The only thing I'm interested in are some numbers which for some reason GM refuses to give out.

Voltaire72 10-09-2019 06:41 PM

Jeez it's brutal on here. To the OP, yes, I am freakin excited to finally see SOMEONE talk about what the car is like to drive. I don't give a crap about how excited or flowery they might be or whether they're being edited by Chevy. The silence on driving details has been deafening. Also, there will be lots of different mags with different perspectives. Without anyone in the public being able to actually drive one, it's the closest we 'early-orderers' will get to getting any sense of the real thing. I'll take what I can get at this point. But, yes, like everyone else I really will look forward to finally being able to decide for myself when I can actually drive it, but I personally don't have the luxury of waiting (before I decide) as I am against a timeline of moving out of one car into another. So, I'm just going on my best instincts and hoping it'll be amazing. That said, an early glimpse into that experience as soon as next week is completely welcome by me!

BayouCountry 10-09-2019 06:45 PM

No. Jay Leno gave it the stamp of approval.

OnPoint 10-09-2019 06:49 PM

Only thing I'm interested seeing them comment on is whether the DCT behaves like a hot mess.

The tuning of that trans and how well it behaves (particularly in slow speed crawls/stops, inching forward etc) will be an important early indicator of how well it is received by both the press and customers.

If this DCT is a clunky, jerky mess, that will be a big wet blanket on the party.

MikeyTX 10-09-2019 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by MrSchn3ll (Post 1600288552)
We are officially one week away from the embargo on C8 reviews/impressions ending and we will soon be flooded with hot-takes and armchair race drivers complaining about the steering wheel, HVAC controls, no manual (the horror!), low redline, stock wheel offset, etc.

Is anyone waiting for the reviews before committing to an order? And for those that do have an order, will the reviews change anyone's mind about the car?

Personally, I don't see the reviews changing my order decision at all as the only other option I had in mind was a 718 GT4 and I happily gave up my allocation for a C8, but curious to see the weight others on the forum put into journalist reviews. My most anticipated review will be Randy Pobst - all others opinions in the auto journo world are taken with a big grain of salt (except may be Chris Harris).

:withstupid: ................. :seeya

JerriVette 10-09-2019 07:28 PM

Auto journalists are all now contract workers. Their job is to generate a stir...we will jear the good the bad and the jgly and Im ok with that. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. Todays autojournalists are mostly kids who used to do podcasts and then some youtube reviews etc...

doesnt matter what their end opinions are because unless they are leaning on daddies money they dontnhave the money to buy any of these cars...which is ok..

auto journalism jas never been a very high paying job.

still i will enjoy the various reviews....the good the bad and the ugly are really just opinions...

when the 500 hp rear mid engine corvette call comes in to pick up mine Ill be happy to pay for it and enjoy tje sports car...

i do expect the usual the interior isnt as nice as porsche. i fully expect to hear their is an unquantifiable aspect that is missing compared to ferrari, mclaren and porsche and Im ok with that...

the pseudo social climber auto journalists who are striving for recognition from their automotive journalist peers can ramble in about how the redline of the lt2 is only 6700 rpms...compared to the dohc eurogroupies...

we have heard this nonsense for decades...meanwhile the corvette in gen 5, gen 6 and gen7 seriously kick some euro butt...

the more things change...the more they will stay the same.

ill be driving a 495 hp rear mid engine corvette with z51, fe4, npp and a slick shifting dct...while the auto journalists own what?

i understand their position and their desire for recognition and creation of controversy...

Racingswh 10-09-2019 07:32 PM

No. I like it but no matter how great the reviews may be I am waiting for future enhanced performance models.

chevy74c10 10-09-2019 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by JerriVette (Post 1600291679)

ill be driving a 495 hp rear mid engine corvette with z51, fe4, npp and a slick shifting dct...while the auto journalists drive what?

:rofl:

ByByBMW 10-09-2019 07:38 PM

Since my mind isn't made up yet, yes the reviews could help me decide.

davids70 10-09-2019 07:45 PM

I may have missed it, but are they reviewing both the z51 and non-z51? would like to see how accurate that supposed leaked information is

mikemote 10-09-2019 08:19 PM

I like the looks of the C8 convertible, nice performance and warranty

Z06-MAN 10-09-2019 08:42 PM

I ordered a Z51 with mag ride, the articles might save me some money if they say the Z51 is not worth it on the street. $7K is $7K, might get convertible with that cash, just a thought? I am already @$85K now, Jeesh!

sprayer 10-09-2019 09:10 PM

Why is there an embargo anyway on the car? GM has released it,w it will be what it is why could they not allow the reviews to come out after a specific date?

Is it so orders are put in before any negative feedback is put out? Way I understand it everyone can still get deposits back so orders can be cancelled anyway after 16th.

Just seems like stupid games being played. Or what am I missing?

JerriVette 10-09-2019 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by sprayer (Post 1600292399)
Why is there an embargo anyway on the car? GM has released it,w it will be what it is why could they not allow the reviews to come out after a specific date?

Is it so orders are put in before any negative feedback is put out? Way I understand it everyone can still get deposits back so orders can be cancelled anyway after 16th.

Just seems like stupid games being played. Or what am I missing?

the embargo exists to allow all the media a chance of testing the vehicle ...

The number of media outlets has grown so large these days with social media it takes waves of testing....

thats why journalism has gone in the toilet....the competition for readers attention has become almost impossible...

Ron78Z&66Vette 10-10-2019 01:13 AM

If the acceleration numbers don't live up to the hype, then as much as I LOVE the look of the C8, I'll likely be keeping my ZL1.

WestRace 10-10-2019 02:08 AM

Ultimately I will need to drive the car to know for sure if I will purchase the car. Oddly enough I don't really trust American Magazines. I'll wait until some of the British magazines such as EVO or CAR magazines.

vampire81 10-10-2019 02:34 AM

reviews matter and affect sales.
as i won't get the C8 before 2021,, a lot may change my decision. reviews are one of 'em.

ErikNM 10-10-2019 07:47 AM

couldn't care less.