CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [Z06] The Blue Bullet Project: My Quest for a 600-hp Street-Drivable LS7 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/4446862-the-blue-bullet-project-my-quest-for-a-600-hp-street-drivable-ls7.html)

Pacha's Z06 RF 10-02-2020 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by brentsz06 (Post 1602274748)
I think I'd still be asking why it's consuming oil...... I'm on my 4th c6z. None have burned oil. Are you sure your checking it correctly?

Hib answered this same question in his original thread. He checks his oil correctly.

Premiumspeed 10-02-2020 01:39 PM

Thanks for sharing, sounds like a real nightmare but at least it's moving forward.

Hib Halverson 10-02-2020 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by reasonable suspicion (Post 1602274505)
Can’t you try the Innovators West balancer?

I was not aware of that product until I read your post. Also, I had already ordered a standard-size LS7 Super Damper from Zip Products.

The technology in the Innovators West damper is interesting, to say the least.

Hib Halverson 10-02-2020 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by brentsz06 (Post 1602274748)
I think I'd still be asking why it's consuming oil...... I'm on my 4th c6z. None have burned oil. Are you sure your checking it correctly?

My checking procedure. Engine oil at 175°F. Check exactly five minutes after shutdown, but actually, back then, I really didn't need to check the oil. I could just look in the rearview as I accelerated though 2nd and 3rd. The "contrail" of oil smoke behind me was a dead giveaway that there was a problem with oil control.

At this point in time, after three rebuilds by the master engine builder in the midwest, my oil consumption is acceptable.

HowWhyWhyHow 10-02-2020 06:07 PM

How are those MSD coil packs working out? Which specific model are they?

Hib Halverson 10-03-2020 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by HowWhyWhyHow (Post 1602279925)
How are those MSD coil packs working out?

They work great. I've had them on the car for 7 years and 44,000 miles.

Which specific model are they?
They are MSD PN 2878.

A number of years ago, there was a lot of Internet discussion of the original MSD coil design for Gen 3/4 V8s and they did suck, but, back in the early 2010s, MSD stopped making them for almost a year while they redesigned the coil and changed suppliers then released the all new design they've sold for about eight years. That design, at least in my experience, has performed very well.

danziger 10-03-2020 06:01 PM

Geez. You are a better man than me. I would have violently lost my mind after spending $40K for that crop-duster/oil eater. The company that shall remain nameless should have done more to offset their mistakes, IMO...

grinder11 10-03-2020 07:03 PM

Hi Hib. We've discussed some of our mutual difficulties before. I think 2 of the biggest lessons I've learned are:
#1-NOBODY cares about your car like you do, the owner, the guy who shelled out the cash for it, and-
#2-These places have highly skilled help, but NONE of the little detail things like header installs, starter installs, are usually low wage young workers.

Hib Halverson 10-03-2020 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by grinder11 (Post 1602284610)
(snip)
#1-NOBODY cares about your car like you do, the owner, the guy who shelled out the cash for it, and-
#2-These places have highly skilled help, but NONE of the little detail things like header installs, starter installs, are usually low wage young workers.

"grinder11" gets the Saturday night "Beacon of Reality Award"

grinder11 10-04-2020 09:45 AM

Well, thx Hib! I could tell you some stories.....For those who don't know, I'm on my 3rd 427 engine, just like Hib. A brotherhood we hope nobody else has to share, or endure. Another thing I've learned is it's useless to write any notes on what they should check. They know everything, so they don't need to review what you want. I don't think every shop is like this, but BOTH I went to were. Could have cost my wife and I our lives. To condense this as much as I can.....I asked the shop to please check the front steering, specifically the tie rods, because something seemed wrong in the steering somewhere. My penmanship isn't what it once was, so I printed these requests out on the computer. Got a call car was done. Drove 90 miles to pick it up. About 5 or 10 miles away from the shop, I noticed something still didn't feel right in the steering. We got the car home, and I told my wife I'm going to check the steering myself after work tomorrow. Next day was really hot, so I asked wife to please back car out of garage so I can work on it. Got a call back, and wife said it wouldn't move. I told her it has to move, just put it in reverse, and back it up. Got another call in 5 minutes. She says the rear tires squeal, and the car seems to want to turn into our other car, but won't move!! I wish someone would've snapped a pic of my face when I got home and got under the car; it had to be pure white! The drivers side wheel was turned all the way to the left, and the drivers side tie rod taper had fallen out of the knuckle, the nut laying several feet away!!!! Apparently, as I parked the car after getting home the last time (it almost WAS the last time, too!), the nut came off, and the tie rod assembly fell out. To think I had just been driving 65mph 15 miles earlier, I almost got sick!!! Nobody reads your notes!!!!!

grinder11 10-04-2020 01:00 PM

How about another one? I had changed my own headers before the shop Dyno tuned it. I printed out on the computer "Please double check my oil cooler lines for header interference/possible melting points". Of course, they didn't, and I was transferred 60 miles from home at the time. I missed my son's 11th birthday, stranded on the side of the freeway 60 miles from home. Just as I got on the freeway, a smokescreen that would've made James Bonds Astin Martin seem like a tinker toy, came billowing out. Thank God I didn't lose control of the car. I walked a mile back to work, borrowed a floor jack and some hardware, walked the mile back, and bypassed the oil cooler lines. 4 hours beside the freeway later, I left for home. You never realize how much ground vibration and pounding a Semi makes, until you're on your back, 4 feet away from one that's streaks by at 70mph!!!! Sometime soon, I'll have to tell you of another incident that happened 2 months later, when my starter fell off at the gas station!

grinder11 10-04-2020 05:39 PM

Got a few extra minutes, so here's the next story, which happened about 2 months after the melted oil cooler line fiasco. Went to a local gas station, and filled the car up. Went to leave and the starter freewinds, like, when you were 18 years old, and the starter solenoid is going out. No matter how many times I turned the key, nothing but freewheeling. So I called a wrecker, got it home, and found the starter motor laying on my headers, 1 bolt left in it, and only still there because it had backed out as far as it could when it stopped against the headers! This time the shop sent a flatbed to pick it up and they took care of the whole thing, as they should have. BUT-As I was leaving their facility, their shop foreman said " You got lucky, it usually breaks a part of the block off when this happens". I told him "Well, let's just say we BOTH got lucky that didn't happen". Like I said earlier, these places do have some smart, skilled workers, but at the skill positions. They aren't usually found routing oil cooler lines or ensuring the starter bolts are tightened. These positions are the "learning" positions, and unfortunately it's at our expense!

KBoltz 10-05-2020 11:37 AM

That's

Originally Posted by TrendSetter (Post 1602199681)
A quart of oil every 3000 miles even seems high. I have a HPR 468 and it doesnt seem to consume any oil at all.

That's because Eric Koenig makes a fantastic engine. I've known him since college at Texas A&M. He's meticulous. And worth every damn penny

Nowanker 10-05-2020 01:51 PM

I wouldn't stress one bit about 3K/Qt...
Coming from the BMW world, where that's pretty modest. According to the factory, 1 Qt in 800 (700?) miles was considered "acceptable"!

AzDave47 10-05-2020 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Nowanker (Post 1602292445)
I wouldn't stress one bit about 3K/Qt...
Coming from the BMW world, where that's pretty modest. According to the factory, 1 Qt in 800 (700?) miles was considered "acceptable"!

Chevy considers 1quart every 700 miles for a C6 Z06 OK, too.

Premiumspeed 10-05-2020 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by grinder11 (Post 1602288787)
Like I said earlier, these places do have some smart, skilled workers, but at the skill positions. They aren't usually found routing oil cooler lines or ensuring the starter bolts are tightened. These positions are the "learning" positions, and unfortunately it's at our expense!

This is a real shame and one of the reasons i don't trust a lot of speed shops. It's just like my job in Engineering, i have young straight out of school Engineers that design all the easy stuff, but it's my responsibility to check it. If it fails it's on me.

What you and Hib went through is completely unacceptable. It's the shops responsibility to make sure the parts they recommend and install do not fail. I'm curious how much liability they have financially? I bet their insurance only covers a very small amount in the case of negligence.

grinder11 10-06-2020 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Premiumspeed (Post 1602293891)
This is a real shame and one of the reasons i don't trust a lot of speed shops. It's just like my job in Engineering, i have young straight out of school Engineers that design all the easy stuff, but it's my responsibility to check it. If it fails it's on me.

What you and Hib went through is completely unacceptable. It's the shops responsibility to make sure the parts they recommend and install do not fail. I'm curious how much liability they have financially? I bet their insurance only covers a very small amount in the case of negligence.

Unacceptable is the most diplomatic word I would use here. Many others I've used that can't be used here, and probably Hib, too! Hib also got screwed, but at least he got something back. I got absolutely nothing, plus had to rebuild parts of my car at my expense, because once you leave their facility, anything they broke you can't prove. It is sad. I also believe they build cars and engines on two levels; level 1 for magazines, level 2, or worse for you and I!! But even then, they had to know who he is, and they still didn't give a care.....

TrendSetter 10-06-2020 02:02 PM

I generally do all my own work for the exact reasons demonstrated in this thread. The very few times I have had 'professionals' do work for me (house, cars, anything) I had to go behind them to fix some of it. Its really frustrating because I know theres good folks out there but i just dont seem to find them often. And even paying top dollar as Hib did still guarantees you nothing except the chance for a more expensive 2nd 3rd or 4th try.
My corvette in general has been a refreshing exception for me. I bought the car already done and the previous owner and shop did excellent work.

grinder11 10-06-2020 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by TrendSetter (Post 1602298286)
I generally do all my own work for the exact reasons demonstrated in this thread. The very few times I have had 'professionals' do work for me (house, cars, anything) I had to go behind them to fix some of it. Its really frustrating because I know theres good folks out there but i just dont seem to find them often. And even paying top dollar as Hib did still guarantees you nothing except the chance for a more expensive 2nd 3rd or 4th try.
My corvette in general has been a refreshing exception for me. I bought the car already done and the previous owner and shop did excellent work.

That's great. I'm happy to hear you've got a good car that's been put together correctly.

Hib Halverson 10-06-2020 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by TrendSetter (Post 1602298286)
(snip) And even paying top dollar as Hib did still guarantees you nothing except the chance for a more expensive 2nd 3rd or 4th try.

"TrendSetter" gets the Taco Tuesday "Beacon of Reality Award."