CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   Amateur Racing with a C4.... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/4706590-amateur-racing-with-a-c4.html)

VikingTrad3r 02-02-2023 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by 69autoXr (Post 1606224015)
If you're just dipping your toe into performance driving you might also consider autocross as a good way to get seat time experiencing handling at the limit, with relatively low risk. You could even run your convertible. If you can find events sanctioned by the National Council of Corvette Clubs (NCCC), you'll get a good amount of seat time in a typical day (usually 10-14 runs per day at NCCC events vs 4-6 at a typical SCCA autocross).

So I skipped this step. Autocross. And to be honest i wish I hadnt. I find the BEST track drivers are the ones who are comfortable with the car getting loose, they recover just fine. For my wife and I, we went straight from street driving to track driving and it was a mistake. We were not prepared for what to counter, at high speed when the car gets away from you. And so we have both have trepidation pushing the car to its ultimate limits which is when it gets loose or you end up in a tank slapper. I spin my second time stopping mere inches from the wall. Wife flew off into the grass. It happens but i know if we had been in autocross we likely would have caught/recovered.

We booked into some auto cross last fall, but bailed out due to sudden scheduling conflicts.

I think your advice here is bang on, and should actually be the logical advice given. You will spin like crazy and have it all over the place in autocross and that is where you should do that. Great advice and thanks for reminding me i need to do this myself.

colter 07-24-2023 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r (Post 1606218707)
And what a great rabbit hole it is. But you do have to have time and money, or a boatload of money if you dont have the time.

Grab a cheap coupe and track that, not your vert. Or sell the vert and get a coupe. For HPDE track days, im 90% sure the c4 coupe would not be allowed unless a roll hoop is added. Even if it was allowed i wouldnt do it. Id get a cheap coupe, either 4+3 or zf6, slap in some dynamic friction pads on your factory J55’s, some motul 660, and go have a blast. I say this cause you mentioned hpde as opposed to vintage racing. Ver different things.

But i know what u mean…i started my hpde track days experience in 2019 in an 86 with j55 upgrades, it was sooooooopp fun. Thats not racing though. Go do it!!!! Start a trackday thread. Yak and I and some other have trackday threads going. Come along for the ride, would love to see more people doing it and logging thier experience here.

Yak u r an animal anddivert some of that money u r spending to a garmin catalyst dude!!!!

I noticed Rock Auto has DYNAMIC FRICTIONActive Performance pads and RAYBESTOS Specialty - Street Performance Metallic pads in their high performance section. There's no reviews I can find. Do you know how those brake pads compare to high performance brakes for the street compared to $30 pads?

VikingTrad3r 07-24-2023 08:39 AM

i use dynamic friction active performance pads on track.

until i get some cooling on my rotors this is what i will be using. as i get faster, i am hitting the limits of my brakes BUT i suspect that when i add cooling the brakes will level up.

j55’s with dynamic friction pads work fantastastic for track

colter 07-24-2023 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r (Post 1606868273)
i use dynamic friction active performance pads on track.

until i get some cooling on my rotors this is what i will be using. as i get faster, i am hitting the limits of my brakes BUT i suspect that when i add cooling the brakes will level up.

j55’s with dynamic friction pads work fantastastic for track

Just curious, I don't track. I'd like good stopping power for spirited street driving and be able to do panic stops if the person slammed on their brakes in front of me.

I see the DYNAMIC FRICTION 1115041301 Active Performance pads are under Rock Auto's "High Performance" line. Is that supposed to be more of a track pad? Or does it have real good grip cold or hot on the street?

And have you checked out RAYBESTOS SP412XPH Specialty - Street Performance Metallic that's also listed in the "High Performance" section? Not sure if these offer real good cold and hot stopping power for the street compared to say $30 pads.

VikingTrad3r 07-24-2023 09:11 AM

High Colter,

year?

For street alone i would not use the dyn fric act perfomance. WAAAAY too much dust.

But i have a few things for you to consider. Actually, best to just refer to this thread i started a few weeks back. If you are having issues with a low power brake pedal feel, i suspect it will work.

Once the full pressure begins to be applied to the rotors, any rust or garbage on the pad surface gets burned away very quickly. some really hot session’s with good pad pressure force actually work great to freshen up the pads! in the past i would sand a bit of glazed material off pad surface facedown on a piece of sandpaper. while scuffing the rotor surface with a block and a 3m red pad. A good bleed, with great fluid, i use motul 660, or 600, and then i hit the small gravel patch, and my brakes are incredible.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/4749153-can-we-please-discuss-why-activating-abs-on-gravel-drastically-improves-braking.html

colter 07-24-2023 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r (Post 1606868373)
High Colter,

year?

For street alone i would not use the dyn fric act perfomance. WAAAAY too much dust.

But i have a few things for you to consider. Actually, best to just refer to this thread i started a few weeks back. If you are having issues with a low power brake pedal feel, i suspect it will work.

Once the full pressure begins to be applied to the rotors, any rust or garbage on the pad surface gets burned away very quickly. some really hot session’s with good pad pressure force actually work great to freshen up the pads! in the past i would sand a bit of glazed material off pad surface facedown on a piece of sandpaper. while scuffing the rotor surface with a block and a 3m red pad. A good bleed, with great fluid, i use motul 660, or 600, and then i hit the small gravel patch, and my brakes are incredible.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...s-braking.html

I have an 89 and saw you mention using Dynamic Friction on the track. I don't do track, just street. But I wanted a pad that is better than a $30, is semi-metallic, and has really good stopping power cold or hot. I.e. the person slams the brake in front of you and you have to panic stop. I was looking at pads that are around $120 or less for a set of 4, front/back.

I had been looking at RAYBESTOS SP412XPH Specialty - Street Performance Metallic, but I can't find any reviews other than one forum member recommending them. Have now clue if these pads need to be warmed up first, as I want good stopping power while cold. I run Centric rotors and see Centric makes pads also. I know there are store brand pads out there. I have run Wager Thermoquiets in the past without issue, but found out they are EE rated pads. I was wanting something more like FF.

VikingTrad3r 07-24-2023 10:09 AM

yeah i see what u r saying. all i can really say is that no matter the pads u have, they should bite hard.

If your pads are low, i see why u r seeking new pads. If they are not low but you are experiencing poor braking, id try the things mentioned above and in that gravel/abs thread.

And even if you just want new pads for peace of mind, id still do the things mentioned above.

If you find a great pad that works well on the street, is t dusty, and is inexpensive, please post it!! I need the same on my summer dd. as it stands i just toss my old track pads with less than a 1/4 thickness on my street cars but they create darn dust

ChumpVette 07-24-2023 01:28 PM

I’m curious how @Corvette-ZL1 os doing with his build.

sahhas 07-28-2023 05:09 PM

i'm not really into racing, but have been looking at corvettes to buy on FB marketplace, there are a number of purpose built race cars for sale around the country. good luck!!