CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   Screw in tire, repairable? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4749368-screw-in-tire-repairable.html)

Bob Paris 07-02-2023 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Paris
[QUOTE] Watch out at Discount Tire, aka America's Tire on the west coast. I took my daughter's car there to have the tire patched and they tried to sell me a set of tires. I passed and the car was at the dealer a week later where they noted that each tire had 6/32" tread left. Of course they fix tires for free since this insures a steady supply of potential victims. Be careful out there... [QUOTE]

[QUOTE] Your daughter should have taken Discount Tire's advice. And so should you have. Embarrassing for you at best. [QUOTE]

Can anyone explain this reply to my previous post?

Bob Paris 07-02-2023 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by MarkMeHopeful (Post 1606797130)
First bad thing I've ever heard about America's Tire. I'm sure any given store might have a "bad apple" but America's tire has a great reputation and very positive reviews in general and on this forum. They've always done well by me - had factory tires replaced twice under their hazard warranty.

Maybe there was a good reason they recommended new tires.

Galpin Mazda, who inspected and measured the tread at 6/32nds had the same incentive to sell me tires but didn't. This happened about six months and 8,000 miles ago. My daughter recently had the tires looked at when being serviced at Galpin and they found 5/32nds and did not note any damage or reason to replace.

Hopefully my experience was a fluke but just wanted to note.

Discount Tire 07-03-2023 12:54 PM

At Discount Tire/ America's Tire the safety of our customers is our first consideration. For that reason, we will only repair a tire if it passes a safety inspection. Age, tire wear, location of the damage, no more than 3 repairs and how large the damaged area is, are all considered. Thank you for the kind words everybody! It's great to come into a conversation such as this on a Monday morning.:thumbs:

papillion 07-03-2023 03:08 PM

Tough Duty

Originally Posted by Discount Tire (Post 1606800666)
At Discount Tire/ America's Tire the safety of our customers is our first consideration. For that reason, we will only repair a tire if it passes a safety inspection. Age, tire wear, location of the damage, no more than 3 repairs and how large the damaged area is, are all considered. Thank you for the kind words everybody! It's great to come into a conversation such as this on a Monday morning.:thumbs:

Protecting customers from themselves is a thankless task. Some folks just don't get it. Thanks for being there for me.

robob 07-03-2023 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by zrracer (Post 1606795700)
Take it to a professional tire store.
they will advise you.
silly to ask here

Yeah, they will advise you to replace it so they can sell you a tire.

If folks don't ask such questions here then they will have to shutdown the site.

You folks hang in there,
Robert

Didier9 07-04-2023 12:01 AM

I have the road hazard service contract and when I got a roofing nail in the middle of the tire, the local Chevy dealer replaced the tire. They said they do not patch tires on a Corvette. It could be a liability issue more than a technical issue.

JerryU 07-04-2023 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by robob (Post 1606801972)
Yeah, they will advise you to replace it so they can sell you a tire.

If folks don't ask such questions here then they will have to shutdown the site.

You folks hang in there,
Robert

Have seen folks who won't get a new tire until all the tread is gone! Have no idea what a wear bar is or that if one is showing it's time to replace tires (that is at 2/32 tread left.) :crazy:

Or have no idea that 4/32 tread left is minimum if you want decent hydroplaning resistance (when I typically get new tires.) One hydroplaning incident could cost far more than 4 new tires!

Yep, a Tire company needs to tell some folks they won't touch a tire that needs to be replaced. :cheers:

449er 07-04-2023 07:09 AM

Yes, that area where the nail is can be repaired

papillion 07-04-2023 11:42 AM

Priorities

Originally Posted by JerryU (Post 1606802750)
Have seen folks who won't get a new tire until all the tread is gone! Have no idea what a wear bar is or that if one is showing it's time to replace tires (that is at 2/32 tread left.) :crazy:

Or have no idea that 4/32 tread left is minimum if you want decent hydroplaning resistance (when I typically get new tires.) One hydroplaning incident could cost far more than 4 new tires!

Yep, a Tire company needs to tell some folks they won't touch a tire that needs to be replaced. :cheers:

Owners here have a $100,000 car and are agonizing over 2/32" of tire tread. Go figure?

My wife, my family, and yes yourself are more precious to me than that. So thank me for caring.

Foosh 07-04-2023 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Pisswilly (Post 1606795515)
Is it correct tire can be repaired only once, after that, a new tire is required? This is a ZP tire.

Yes, Michelin allows one repair in the center tread block using an interior plug/patch, and the tire retains its speed rating. Yours qualifies for repair. This is only true if tire has not been driven at zero pressure for more than few miles because of the possibility of sidewall damage. If it's a slow leak and tire retains pressure, there's no danger of that.

It's not a ZP tire issue, per se, it's the likelihood of sidewall damage after driving at zero pressures. You can't drive on a flat, non-ZP tire. However, I think Michelin also only allows one repair on non-ZP tires to keep their speed rating.

Tire Rack article below with Michelin guidance on the chart:

Tire Rack Guidance on ZP Tire Repair

neogenesis 07-04-2023 04:56 PM

Appears to be repairable. Have had good results with Discount Tire on both my C7 and C8 so would recommend them. I however wasn’t so lucky with my brand new set of tires I just put on 2 months ago 😡

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...7f91e2089.jpeg

GOLD72 07-04-2023 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by neogenesis (Post 1606804448)
Appears to be repairable. Have had good results with Discount Tire on both my C7 and C8 so would recommend them. I however wasn’t so lucky with my brand new set of tires I just put on 2 months ago 😡

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...7f91e2089.jpeg

That would be too close to the shoulder to be reliably repaired.