CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   No GPS NAVIGATION for 2024 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4759312-no-gps-navigation-for-2024-a.html)

RKCRLR 08-09-2023 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by PCMIII (Post 1606924391)
GPS is only available for vehicle positioning ie it can show where you are but can’t map a route. That’s why you must have a paid subscription and you must download the maps for the dead zone before you enter it.

With the old GPS navigation system you were never in a dead zone and maps were always available for routings. Also no subscription required.

That might be true but it is hard to tell from the wording. I seem to remember setting a destination in Google Maps when I was out of cell service (but had downloaded the map) by using an address that was within the map database but I can't remember for sure. Definately couldn't use Google Asistant to do a voice search.

Red Mist Rulz 08-09-2023 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Andybump (Post 1606924258)
I have not done it, but many folks on the forum report that with both Google Maps and Waze, they can download maps to their phone in advance, and then they will continue to navigate in cell deadzones. There are several places on the internet that discuss how to do that.

Originally Posted by Didier9 (Post 1606924322)
Yes, I have not done it either, but it is my understanding that you can do that. A friend of mine who did the Appalachian Trail did just that. He also has a Garmin Fenix 5X (with maps) as a backup. I have the same watch and while I don't want to use maps on it while driving (!) it is very useful as a backup.

I've done it. If you set the options correctly, it will automatically download all the maps along a route you create in your phone, and then automatically delete them after some period of time (6 months, I think?). But doing it manually is easy enough, too.

The drawback is if you're in an area without a cellular connection and want to create a new route to somewhere. Google maps won't find your destination without a data connection. I keep the HERE We Go app on my phone with maps for any state I'm likely to drive through as a backup just in case I need to create a route and have no data connection. Had to use it once in the middle of West by God Virginia.

MitchSpence 08-09-2023 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by spireland (Post 1606924162)
This is why GM wants to ditch Carplay, they know that most of us just use our phones for Nav and they want to go back to the era of being able to charge large option charges or even better subscription fees.

Exactly. They need to protect and increase those revenue streams.

gatorfl 08-09-2023 04:47 PM

I wonder how much $$ Google paid GM for this gem

BIG Dave 08-09-2023 05:10 PM

As long as there is still Apple CarPlay, and I can use Waze, this is a non-issue for me.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...b4382e1b1.jpeg

plmmd 08-09-2023 05:23 PM

The C8 has navigation? Never used it almost 15k miles.

Didier9 08-09-2023 05:56 PM

GPS is only available for vehicle positioning ie it can show where you are but can’t map a route. That’s why you must have a paid subscription and you must download the maps for the dead zone before you enter it.

With the old GPS navigation system you were never in a dead zone and maps were always available for routings. Also no subscription required.

It's not that you were never in a dead zone, it's just that it did not matter because you did not need a data connection since maps were stored in the vehicle. The GPS signal is pretty much available everywhere (except tunnels, behind dense foliage and sometimes in urban canyons, or if you accidentally travel past the Arctic circle...)

Andybump 08-09-2023 06:10 PM

"No GPS NAVIGATION for 2024"

Originally Posted by PCMIII (Post 1606923949)
.......Obviously without GPS the navigation may not work at all.

Originally Posted by PCMIII (Post 1606924061)
Google Maps in a dead zone means GPS is not available. I discussed this extensively with the Corvette information people and they could not find any reference to GPS in the description for 2024...........

The "information people" should have looked in the 2024 Owners Manual where it is mentioned.

GPS is only available for vehicle positioning ie it can show where you are but can’t map a route. That’s why you must have a paid subscription and you must download the maps for the dead zone before you enter it. With the old GPS navigation system you were never in a dead zone and maps were always available for routings. Also no subscription required.

Based on the your thread title (No GPS NAVIGATION for 2024) and your earlier posts it sounded like you were saying the car did not have GPS. Glad you now agree that the 2024 C8 has GPS supported Navigation, GPS refers to the GPS receiver and the processor that determines coordinates on the Earth. And the car still has a GPS and still has GPS supported Navigation. What has changed is the way the maps are acquired and stored, the software that supports the Navigation function, and the need for a subscription for "full functionality" including capability to download maps for navigation in a cell dead zone.

Again, and as pointed out by others, a dead zone refers to lost network connectivity. Which happens quite often in certain areas of the country. In those regions both your phone and your car loose their network connection (actually the car may have a little more sensitivity and in some cases will maintain its 4G connection while the phone does not). But I have experienced the case where both the phone and the car loose 4G connectivity. In those cell dead zones, the "old" on board Navigation system will continue to function because it has a satellite based GPS, sees the satellites, and uses the maps stored on the SD card. The new system will still be GPS based, but new Google Maps software downloads the maps in real time via the 4G network (In the car I beleive). There is no longer an SD card for maps mentioned anywhere in the 2024 owners manual. But from the description it will be possible for Google Maps to download maps in advance and then it will navigate in cell dead zones because it will still have GPS. We do not know exactly what level of functionality is provided if any without a subscription.

The 2024 Manual also describes the Front Lift system as using the GPS Navigation in the vehicle. It does not say anything about needing subscription to support that feature. While I do not know exactly how it works, technically it does not need a map to do what it does. It only needs to remember the GPS coordinates where the lift was actuated. Then when approaching those coordinates, it activates the lift. We already know that once a position is stored, it will actuated the lift when that point is approached in any direction.

sshallen 08-09-2023 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by thebishman (Post 1606924107)
GM making a huge mistake going just with Android Automotive only in their '24 and beyond BEVs. So damn short sighted and will no doubt cost GM sales. Just keep your fingers crossed the greedy bastards don't try the same thing for their ICE vehicles beginning in '25.

It's worse than that. Their EVs will not have CarPlay -OR- Android Auto. They will have an "Android-based interface" which does not mirror your phone.

I understand how badly they want the clicks that the phones are getting, but I suspect they will reverse on this decision. It will just screen out too many buyers.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...s/70068140007/

jimmie jam 08-09-2023 06:51 PM

Well, never once used the Nav on my C6. Wait, I never used it on my C7 either. Have used it on my CTS4 DD maybe 4 times in 40K miles. Never have utilized the Nav on my 911 in 13K miles... I guess I won't be missing much in the C8.
there's always the phone....

gliot1 08-09-2023 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by RKCRLR (Post 1606924099)
That would be a huge mistake if they put in Google Maps but it would only work if you had a cell connection. There are many areas out west where there is no cell reception. Even the most basic cell phone these days has a GPS receiver but Google Maps will work without cell reception as long as the maps have been downloaded beforehand.

Google Maps and Waze use GPS via cell service. They access the database via cell service. Your phone does not have direct GPS mapping. Cell towers use GPS downlink/unlink and triangulation to phones via the 3 strongest cell tower signal strength. If you go into remote areas you will not have mapping. Here in AZ it is pretty common in rural areas. The 2023 GM navigation is true GPS in that it will work anywhere unless the GPS signal from satellite is blocked. I have used all in remote ares....you will lose Google Maps and Waze where cell service is weak. GM navigation keeps ticking.

Michael T* 08-09-2023 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Andybump (Post 1606924258)
I have not done it, but many folks on the forum report that with both Google Maps and Waze, they can download maps to their phone in advance, and then they will continue to navigate in cell deadzones. There are several places on the internet that discuss how to do that.

They only navigate for 15-30 miles before they become unreliable. I know this from portions of Arkansas and West Texas where no cellular data is available, rendering anything but GPS unreliable. I have read through all the owners manual and Order Guide and it is ambiguous at best whether the GPS navigation is gone on MY 2024. I find it interesting that the Front Lift continues to use GPS (cellular data is not as exact on location as civilian GPS). I hope to have my car in about seven weeks and have a trip to Big Bend booked a few weeks later. We will see.

RKCRLR 08-09-2023 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by gliot1 (Post 1606925188)
Google Maps and Waze use GPS via cell service. They access the database via cell service. Your phone does not have direct GPS mapping. Cell towers use GPS downlink/unlink and triangulation to phones via the 3 strongest cell tower signal strength. If you go into remote areas you will not have mapping. Here in AZ it is pretty common in rural areas. The 2023 GM navigation is true GPS in that it will work anywhere unless the GPS signal from satellite is blocked. I have used all in remote ares....you will lose Google Maps and Waze where cell service is weak. GM navigation keeps ticking.

My old Galaxy S7 has a GPS chip, I imagine you'd have a hard time finding a new smart phone that doesn't have a GPS chip in it. While cell towers can be used to increase location accuracy the main location data comes from GPS. I as well as others have used Google Maps in locations where there is no cell reception but I had to download the map before I went out of cell service. I also use other mapping apps on my phone for off-roading, boating, and hiking in remote areas with no cell reception..

Korbek 08-09-2023 07:34 PM

Cant see why this matters even a little bit. Just use cell phone navigation. IMO they shouldnt even be installing Nav in cars anymore. Its superfluous.

And if I'm somewhere that has zero cell signal, I'll just pull out my U.S. Atlas and do it the way I did for nearly 20 years before smartphones became ubiquitous. Can honestly say I've never used any car's built in Nav, not even once.

Andybump 08-09-2023 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by RKCRLR (Post 1606925252)
My old Galaxy S7 has a GPS chip, I imagine you'd have a hard time finding a new smart phone that doesn't have a GPS chip in it. While cell towers can be used to increase location accuracy the main location data comes from GPS. I as well as others have used Google Maps in locations where there is no cell reception but I had to download the map before I went out of cell service. I also use other mapping apps on my phone for off-roading, boating, and hiking in remote areas with no cell reception..

Yes. Cell phones have gps satellite receiver and use that for navigation. They augment that with cell towers and wifis if they see those. There are plenty of sources that confirm all of that.

RKCRLR 08-09-2023 07:54 PM

One of the advantages of the current OEM navigation is the ability to see upcoming events in the HUD and DIC. I wonder if that will still be available with built-in Google Maps navigation. If so, I wonder if Google Maps will display that information in the HUD and DIC when running Google Maps from Android Auto/CarPlay. Google Maps has the ability to do this but it must be incorporated by the car manufacturer.

Red Mist Rulz 08-09-2023 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by gliot1 (Post 1606925188)

The bold part is completely incorrect. Every modern smartphone has a GPS receiver in it. I can use an app like HERE We Go to do completely offline navigation in an area with no cell signal at all.

Google Maps and Waze absolutely, 100% use GPS satellites for location. What they need the data connection for is to (a) search for locations so you can navigate to a business name or other point of interest and (b) to download the maps along your route. The reason you lose Google and Waze when there's no cell service is because your phone can't download the map data. But as has already been stated multiple times, you can download maps to your phone for offline use.

Andybump 08-09-2023 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by RKCRLR (Post 1606925355)
One of the advantages of the current OEM navigation is the ability to see upcoming events in the HUD and DIC. I wonder if that will still be available with built-in Google Maps navigation. If so, I wonder if Google Maps will display that information in the HUD and DIC when running Google Maps from Android Auto/CarPlay. Google Maps has the ability to do this but it must be incorporated by the car manufacturer.

This still appears in the 2024 Owners Manual that I have. It uses the term "on-board" navigation. It could be an error - or not. The google maps based navigation is technically "on-board'.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...64dfd75c95.gif
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...7c2afd69fb.gif

PCMIII 08-09-2023 09:18 PM

Bottom line; The current GPS navigation is always running and always available. The 2024 system will not always be available and won’t be available at all without a subscription. You will be better off using Apple CarPlay which can map your route through WiFi when cellular is dead.

Andybump 08-09-2023 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by PCMIII (Post 1606925632)
Bottom line; The current GPS navigation is always running and always available. The 2024 system will not always be available and won’t be available at all without a subscription. You will be better off using Apple CarPlay which can map your route through WiFi when cellular is dead.

Most think they are better off using the phone based navigation with the current on-board navigation system, especially those who download maps on their phone and then navigate in cell dead zones using the phone's built in satellite navigation receiver (as noted by several above). I use Waze on my 2021 and rarely use the on board navigation system. The current on-board navigation system is not all peaches and cream either. While you don't need a subscription you have to buy the updated maps or the maps become obsolete. The statement about the new system says it requires a subscription for "full functionality" and specifically mentions the capability to download maps for use in the cell dead zones. So we know a subscription is needed for that case with the 2024. It implies that some functionality may be available without a subscription. We'll have to see how it unfolds.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...e1942d9423.gif
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...81613e722d.gif