CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [Z06] GT transformation (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/3058083-gt-transformation.html)

Werks 01-15-2015 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by skxf430 (Post 1588722775)
Mike,

Stop messing around with Ho Ho's and Contis. Just hit the crack pipe and use Michelin slicks.

Please don't get him started on that again, he's already done it and if he brings those back its going to be like starting a nuclear arms race between us! It will be the cold war all over again with America and Russia (or in this case communist China lol) seeing who can out spend each other! :crazy:

skxf430 01-15-2015 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by Werks (Post 1588723140)
Please don't get him started on that again, he's already done it and if he brings those back its going to be like starting a nuclear arms race between us! It will be the cold war all over again with America and Russia (or in this case communist China lol) seeing who can out spend each other! :crazy:

Ron,

That is the entire point. I like the big arms race. Lol

I will just sit back and watch while I drive on my lowly R888's.

Dr.Ron 01-15-2015 02:47 PM

Tire rack shows appropriate sizes only in 19" for the R7's??

mikymu 01-15-2015 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by skxf430 (Post 1588722775)
Mike,

Stop messing around with Ho Ho's and Contis. Just hit the crack pipe and use Michelin slicks.

.... I did and the car was so fast I even managed some WRC actions :crazy:

Werks 01-16-2015 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by skxf430 (Post 1588723187)
Ron,

That is the entire point. I like the big arms race. Lol

I will just sit back and watch while I drive on my lowly R888's.

Lol instigator!

mikymu 01-16-2015 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dr.Ron (Post 1588726803)
Tire rack shows appropriate sizes only in 19" for the R7's??

tirerack has 18" R7 for our Z06 but you need to call them directly to order. They have not list all the available sizes on their website yet

Dr.Ron 01-16-2015 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by mikymu (Post 1588734787)
tirerack has 18" R7 for our Z06 but you need to call them directly to order. They have not list all the available sizes on their website yet

:thumbs:

Anthony @ LGMotorsports 02-12-2015 11:43 AM

Mikymu,

Clear out your PM box or shoot me an email here at the shop. anthony@lgmotorsports.com

mikymu 02-12-2015 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports (Post 1588944543)
Mikymu,

Clear out your PM box or shoot me an email here at the shop. anthony@lgmotorsports.com

sorry, Ron just got on my case and just cleared my inbox. will send you an email

Cheers

Mike

mikymu 03-16-2015 02:22 PM

Had some fun with friends from Able Chevy this past weekend at Thunderhill 5 miles. There are many new 991 GT3 at the track and Rich from Able is still the fastest and Werks and I were able to fend off 991 GT3 for now .... until they start running slicks :eek:

Weeds are pretty tall and hard to see the next corner esp on west side. A mustang dump oil all over west side exit and make things tricky

running wide at T15 and did some lawn mowing at end of this video

follow Werks to monitor his brakes with new pads then ate up couple Porsche and catch up with Derek Able

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...7ef24da1e2.jpg

vetten76 03-16-2015 03:14 PM

You are still my hero. Your vedios always inspire me. My son lives an hour from that track and I need to come drive it for myself, only a bit slower. Lol. Never do you abuse your car. Love it... Thanks for the posting from San Diego.

mikymu 03-16-2015 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by vetten76 (Post 1589195634)
You are still my hero. Your vedios always inspire me. My son lives an hour from that track and I need to come drive it for myself, only a bit slower. Lol. Never do you abuse your car. Love it... Thanks for the posting from San Diego.

Yes, it does require a large portion of insanity to do what we do :D

bogdan_p 03-16-2015 05:14 PM

The Aeromotions wing is incredible! :rock:

Exhaust question:Do you have a interior decibel measurement? Flaps open vs closed?

mikymu 03-16-2015 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by bogdan_p (Post 1589196541)
The Aeromotions wing is incredible! :rock:

Exhaust question:Do you have a interior decibel measurement? Flaps open vs closed?

yes, really like the Aeromotions wing and so far holding up well

I have not measure interior exhaust noise level but it's not bad at all. No need to wear ear plugs on the track and comfortable on street. I been told my car shake the building at Thunderhill when I fly pass turn 1. :thumbs:

I left exhaust flap to stock setting so they open and close pending RPM

Is2scooby 03-17-2015 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by mikymu (Post 1589198285)
yes, really like the Aeromotions wing and so far holding up well

I have not measure interior exhaust noise level but it's not bad at all. No need to wear ear plugs on the track and comfortable on street. I been told my car shake the building at Thunderhill when I fly pass turn 1. :thumbs:

I left exhaust flap to stock setting so they open and close pending RPM

I've been on the observation deck by turn 1 when Mikymu goes by and can personally attest to the fact that his Carbon does in fact shake the building. :)

Z06Ronald 03-17-2015 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by mikymu (Post 1589195229)

I love this car. Does the Xpel still hold well after all those track hours?

mikymu 03-17-2015 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Is2scooby (Post 1589199877)
I've been on the observation deck by turn 1 when Mikymu goes by and can personally attest to the fact that his Carbon does in fact shake the building. :)

Now that's a good type of rumble! :D

Originally Posted by Z06Ronald (Post 1589200184)
I love this car. Does the Xpel still hold well after all those track hours?

Yes, still holding up extremely well. Few rock chips on the film on lower rear quarter panels and front bumpers that's all and really help save the paint from getting damaged. Dirt wash right off the film and I wax the car about once a year and good for the whole season

2StrikeHtr 03-17-2015 11:59 AM

Wow, what a Beast ! Great driving and great, detailed write-up. Nice job !!

mikymu 03-17-2015 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by 2StrikeHtr (Post 1589202242)
Wow, what a Beast ! Great driving and great, detailed write-up. Nice job !!

Thanks

C6 Z06 is a rare gem. Fast and inexpensive to run and so far it's still the fastest car on the track but 991 GT3 is quickly catching up.

Bad_AX 03-17-2015 01:03 PM

Mike,

What are your plans for staying ahead of 991 GT3s?

mikymu 03-17-2015 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bad_AX (Post 1589202778)
Mike,

What are your plans for staying ahead of 991 GT3s?

I don't need to do much now to be comfortably in front of 991 GT3. Video below is from my friend Joe running the same 5 miles course in his 991 GT3 all stock except alignment and better brake pads. If you compare with my video side by side you can see his top speed either match or exceed mine (I was not pushing hard this time) but his cornering speed is significantly less due to street Michelin tires.

991 GT3 is crazy fast and rear engine can put down power to rear wheels much better than our Z06. The problem with 991 GT3 is the center lock wheels and 20" tires - almost impossible to find slicks in that size. Some have tried 19" wheel and it only have 2 mm clearance from caliper and suspension bolt - so other than 20" wheels there are no good options. If someone figure out ways to make 19" or 18" wheel fit on 991 GT3 and start running slicks and better shocks then our cars will be neck to neck in lap time.

991 center locks issue. It's PITA to change wheels yourself and as you can see from Joe he is hanging in midair trying to break lose center locks. It's a total retard design and complicated for a real track car. Porsche design it this way so you need to bring your car to dealer for service and more money going to dealer.

The most glaring issue with 991 GT3 is the admission price - $140K plus. Now days you can pick up a C6 Z06 for much less than $50K and with $10K in mods it will be faster than 991 GT3

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...5cc3064c2f.jpg

Robert R1 03-17-2015 05:50 PM

I think that was Joe's first time at the 5mile config.

Joe's friend Ben ran a 1:57.7 over the top at Thill the same day I ran a 1:55.7 in my C6Z.

We were both on Sport Cup 2's. Mine is a 2011 with a Z07 package but no Aero package (only year that was possible). My only mods are poly bushings and shims to hold camber settings. I certainly think both Joe/Ben/I have some time left in our cars. How much? who knows. I still feel that my car driven to the limit by someone faster can probably do high 53's on sport cup 2's. I think Joe and Ben will be in the 55's not too long from now.

Ben's lap:

My lap:

Thanks to the iPhone 6+ camera "enhancements" using it for video with Harry's Latimer is now worthless. I thought it was the mount but nope. Will need to get a GoPro. Will still use Harry's and XGPS for overlay and times.

Thanks a ton for detailing all your findings in this thread btw. It's been majorly helpful. I wish more people track people did that. So much good info in the corvette world that's just goes undocumented.

Bad_AX 03-17-2015 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by mikymu (Post 1589203913)

991 center locks issue. It's PITA to change wheels yourself and as you can see from Joe he is hanging in midair trying to break lose center locks. It's a total retard design and complicated for a real track car. Porsche design it this way so you need to bring your car to dealer for service and more money going to dealer.

The most glaring issue with 991 GT3 is the admission price - $140K plus. Now days you can pick up a C6 Z06 for much less than $50K and with $10K in mods it will be faster than 991 GT3

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...5cc3064c2f.jpg

And I always thought it would be cool to have center lock wheels! I hope Joe didn't get hurt with that giant wrench.

I think a used C6 Z06 is the ultimate budget track monster! I've decided to keep mine follow some of your modifications from this awesome thread.

I see you were running the Racing Brake rotors. How are these working out for you? Is Works still testing pads for the CF rotors?

Thanks,

moose.b3 03-17-2015 10:02 PM

Joe's friend Ben ran a 1:57.7 over the top at Thill the same day I ran a 1:55.7 in my C6Z.

1:55.7 in a stock C6Z is hauling azz. Way better driver than most.:cheers:

skxf430 03-17-2015 10:37 PM

Robert and Mike,

Are you going to be at Mooty's private event at Thunderhill next week? It would be be nice to have some more Vettes out there with all those Porsches.

Also, I know of a C7 Stingray with aero and Michelin Super Sports running 151's at Buttonwillow. That could be a better platform than a new C7Z without having to worry about heat soak.

Peter

Robert R1 03-17-2015 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by skxf430 (Post 1589207440)
Robert and Mike,

Are you going to be at Mooty's private event at Thunderhill next week? It would be be nice to have some more Vettes out there with all those Porsches.

Also, I know of a C7 Stingray with aero and Michelin Super Sports running 151's at Buttonwillow. That could be a better platform than a new C7Z without having to worry about heat soak.

Peter

I'll be there but on used tires. Should still be fun though. Weather looks good!

mikymu 03-17-2015 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Robert R1 (Post 1589205134)
I think that was Joe's first time at the 5mile config.

We were both on Sport Cup 2's. Mine is a 2011 with a Z07 package but no Aero package (only year that was possible). My only mods are poly bushings and shims to hold camber settings. I certainly think both Joe/Ben/I have some time left in our cars. How much? who knows. I still feel that my car driven to the limit by someone faster can probably do high 53's on sport cup 2's. I think Joe and Ben will be in the 55's not too long from now.

Thanks to the iPhone 6+ camera "enhancements" using it for video with Harry's Latimer is now worthless. I thought it was the mount but nope. Will need to get a GoPro. Will still use Harry's and XGPS for overlay and times.

Thanks a ton for detailing all your findings in this thread btw. It's been majorly helpful. I wish more people track people did that. So much good info in the corvette world that's just goes undocumented.

Yes, I know Ben and Joe really well and both super capable drivers like yourself. I seen your video and it's impressive how fast you drive your nearly stock Z06. One my my friend compete in Tudor IMSA series and he did 1:53 in a bone stock Z05 over top of T5 so your speed is up there.

I did alot of mods to my Z06 so it's rock stable so I don't need to be on edge of adhesion all the time to clock fast times. I slow down more now days to have extra "track insurance"

Glad you find some of my post useful. I always tell my Porsche friends our Z06 is a great performance bargain. skf430 converted but not many will due to image thing

Originally Posted by Bad_AX (Post 1589205908)
And I always thought it would be cool to have center lock wheels! I hope Joe didn't get hurt with that giant wrench.

I think a used C6 Z06 is the ultimate budget track monster! I've decided to keep mine follow some of your modifications from this awesome thread.

I see you were running the Racing Brake rotors. How are these working out for you? Is Works still testing pads for the CF rotors?

Thanks,

Good choice. Our Z06 is a hidden track treasure. It's a 9 years old technology and still faster than the most up to date technology from Germany

Yes, I am running racing brake steel rotors - their light weight version which is same spec as GTR and they are fantastic and amazing modulation. Still testing for long term durability.

Yes, Werks is working hard and put himself and car in harms way to help find better pads for our CCM ....

Originally Posted by moose.b3 (Post 1589207192)

1:55.7 in a stock C6Z is hauling azz. Way better driver than most.:cheers:

oh yeah!

Originally Posted by skxf430 (Post 1589207440)
Robert and Mike,

Peter

mooty? I thought it's PCA? I may be there for PCA event to hang out with you guys. Should I bring my civic?

here is Rich reeling in orthojoe. Rich is a moster! He did 3:24 on Saturday :eek:

Robert R1 03-17-2015 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by mikymu (Post 1589207691)

mooty? I thought it's PCA? I may be there for PCA event to hang out with you guys. Should I bring my civic?

Mooty from Rennlist is putting on a private day next thursday before some PCA weekend. Limited number of cars, no sessions. It was amazing the last time out.

1:53 over the top is flying. Maybe one of these days :)

You're right about the image thing. Although I have to say there is a much better track focused community in the GT3 world than the Z06 world, which is a shame.

mikymu 03-17-2015 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Robert R1 (Post 1589207783)
Mooty from Rennlist is putting on a private day next thursday before some PCA weekend. Limited number of cars, no sessions. It was amazing the last time out.

1:53 over the top is flying. Maybe one of these days :)

You're right about the image thing. Although I have to say there is a much better track focused community in the GT3 world than the Z06 world, which is a shame.

Image and hype is what sells many things. Porsche make very good cars but like anything else they all have their problems. I was told by another friend it takes 20 minutes to check his 991 GT3's engine oil level ....

It's alot of money to throw around on the track driving a GT3 and get uncomfortably in a hurry. There are many more capable Z06 drivers but they tend to keep to themselves. We are bring more and more of us together so corvette culture at Thunderhill is getting better with time. You should see our imposing presence at Thunderhill this past weekend lining up in a row .... people know we are the bad boyz :D

Werks 03-18-2015 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by mikymu (Post 1589207855)
There are many more capable Z06 drivers but they tend to keep to themselves. We are bring more and more of us together so corvette culture at Thunderhill is getting better with time. You should see our imposing presence at Thunderhill this past weekend lining up in a row .... people know we are the bad boyz :D

Lol, we are there, we just keep a low profile:hide: The biggest issue nowadays as mentioned is traffic and trying to get a clean lap. Here's a video of me just putting around Friday then waiting for Rich on the West side straight and still turning a 27. There are an easy 3-4+ seconds left on the board on that lap alone. Realistically I think a 20 is achievable with a little effort and no traffic!

Dr.Ron 03-18-2015 05:19 PM

Do you guys have bars installed to mount the camera to??

mikymu 03-18-2015 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Werks (Post 1589212472)
Lol, we are there, we just keep a low profile:hide: The biggest issue nowadays as mentioned is traffic and trying to get a clean lap. Here's a video of me just putting around Friday then waiting for Rich on the West side straight and still turning a 27. There are an easy 3-4+ seconds left on the board on that lap alone. Realistically I think a 20 is achievable with a little effort and no traffic!

That's some impressive lap time Ron and you are certainly getting faster with each event! I think you can easily do 3:24 if you did not have traffic or slow down to wait for Rich

mikymu 03-18-2015 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Dr.Ron (Post 1589212909)
Do you guys have bars installed to mount the camera to??

I mount my GoPro on roll bar

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...41e293e2ea.jpg

Robert R1 03-18-2015 06:18 PM

That's quick Ron! nice work. Still playing around with the Endless pads or back to the stock setup?

Werks 03-18-2015 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by mikymu (Post 1589212919)
That's some impressive lap time Ron and you are certainly getting faster with each event! I think you can easily do 3:24 if you did not have traffic or slow down to wait for Rich

Agreed, I think that would have been an easy 24 without those.

Originally Posted by Robert R1 (Post 1589213383)
That's quick Ron! nice work. Still playing around with the Endless pads or back to the stock setup?

Thanks, it is but it isn't lol. I think that you know what I mean by that, a lot of time left on the table in that lap and some slow corner speeds going into 1, over 5, through 7 & 8 etc. etc. Like I said though traffic is such an issue that when you start off a lap stuck behind someone (even just for a corner) you know your lap is blown already so it's hard to get motivated to really push things the rest of the lap.

As far as pads I'm still playing around with stuff lol! I ran OEM, Endless and another pad that weekend :crazy: I really liked the Endless pads in the front at least but those finally met their maker after 7x track days!

skxf430 03-18-2015 11:42 PM

We have so many fast vettes down here in SoCal. Some run the GTA and Redline Time Attack series and others run in the Wilwood Corvette Challenge. Most of these guys are running cheater tires like Hoosiers or scrubs, and are typically running the faster times at each event. You guys should come down to a Buttonwillow event to run with us. We have a few GT3's at our track days but most of the faster guys have moved on to other makes, as most aren't willing to take a chance to have a bad off with a $150K car.

mikymu, have you seen Bill Brinkop run his C5Z at Thunderhill? It is a full race ST2 car, but he can run under a 3:10 on the 5 mile course which is Cup car times, in a car that can be bought for around $30K. And, his engine is down on HP for reliability. Bill is a beast of a driver but talk about bang for your buck.

Robert R1 03-18-2015 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Werks (Post 1589213538)
Agreed, I think that would have been an easy 24 without those.

Thanks, it is but it isn't lol. I think that you know what I mean by that, a lot of time left on the table in that lap and some slow corner speeds going into 1, over 5, through 7 & 8 etc. etc. Like I said though traffic is such an issue that when you start off a lap stuck behind someone (even just for a corner) you know your lap is blown already so it's hard to get motivated to really push things the rest of the lap.

As far as pads I'm still playing around with stuff lol! I ran OEM, Endless and another pad that weekend :crazy: I really liked the Endless pads in the front at least but those finally met their maker after 7x track days!

Yeah, getting those fast laps to line up is tough. I'd imagine even more with a longer track like the 5mile. Even with a clean lap, my fastest lap is never my best sectors put together but I'm sure that will come with more experience. The nice thing about that is the lap timer give me a virtual best with my fastest sectors combined so that becomes my carrot to chase the next time out. A little self competition if you will.

I'm still sticking with OEM pads and getting about 3-4 days out of them. It's not so bad with the amazon prices I suppose.

mikymu 03-19-2015 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by skxf430 (Post 1589216202)
We have so many fast vettes down here in SoCal. Some run the GTA and Redline Time Attack series and others run in the Wilwood Corvette Challenge. Most of these guys are running cheater tires like Hoosiers or scrubs, and are typically running the faster times at each event. You guys should come down to a Buttonwillow event to run with us. We have a few GT3's at our track days but most of the faster guys have moved on to other makes, as most aren't willing to take a chance to have a bad off with a $150K car.

mikymu, have you seen Bill Brinkop run his C5Z at Thunderhill? It is a full race ST2 car, but he can run under a 3:10 on the 5 mile course which is Cup car times, in a car that can be bought for around $30K. And, his engine is down on HP for reliability. Bill is a beast of a driver but talk about bang for your buck.

yes, we ran 5 miles with Bill Brinkop once and he make us look like we were standing still. He told Ron and I we need to go faster and brake less ... what a strange concept

vetten76 03-19-2015 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by mikymu (Post 1589202747)
Thanks

C6 Z06 is a rare gem. Fast and inexpensive to run and so far it's still the fastest car on the track but 991 GT3 is quickly catching up.

I just can't help but wonder what you'd be like in a new Z with your tires and rims and an automatic? Would your lap times be remotly close to your current times? Would the extra H/P be useable. My last blown Vette was useless. Fine. I buy the Vette. You drive! Lol...

Werks 03-19-2015 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by vetten76 (Post 1589216645)
I just can't help but wonder what you'd be like in a new Z with your tires and rims and an automatic? Would your lap times be remotly close to your current times? Would the extra H/P be useable. My last blown Vette was useless. Fine. I buy the Vette. You drive! Lol...

Ironically Rich has a new C7Z06 w/ CCM's and he brought it out to the track on Friday also. He took me for a ride in it and the handeling of the car is very impressive, we were able to acheive corner speeds in that car witt stock tires comparable to what we see with our C6Z's with coilovers and R compounds/slicks. The one area severly lacking was in the power department. Both of us felt that the C7Z was a complete dog power wise and just seems to fall on it's face at 5k rpm. The mid and top end power was no where comparable to either Rich or my LS7 Katech engines. It was pretty funny actually as we were both talking to each other during the ride and we come out of the corner accelerate and I'm asking him if the took his foot off the throttle and he's rocking back and forth behind the wheel throwing his weight back and forth trying to make the car go faster lol. The car handles excpetionally well and for a street car it probably is the ultimate motor. For a track car I'd ditch that engine is a microsecond and pick up one of the new katech NA 427's that they are making for them, that would make the car an absolute beast!

Werks 03-19-2015 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by mikymu (Post 1589216545)
yes, we ran 5 miles with Bill Brinkop once and he make us look like we were standing still. He told Ron and I we need to go faster and brake less ... what a strange concept

Lol, I remember that conversation well:D

Robert R1 03-19-2015 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Werks (Post 1589219516)
Ironically Rich has a new C7Z06 w/ CCM's and he brought it out to the track on Friday also. He took me for a ride in it and the handeling of the car is very impressive, we were able to acheive corner speeds in that car witt stock tires comparable to what we see with our C6Z's with coilovers and R compounds/slicks. The one area severly lacking was in the power department. Both of us felt that the C7Z was a complete dog power wise and just seems to fall on it's face at 5k rpm. The mid and top end power was no where comparable to either Rich or my LS7 Katech engines. It was pretty funny actually as we were both talking to each other during the ride and we come out of the corner accelerate and I'm asking him if the took his foot off the throttle and he's rocking back and forth behind the wheel throwing his weight back and forth trying to make the car go faster lol. The car handles excpetionally well and for a street car it probably is the ultimate motor. For a track car I'd ditch that engine is a microsecond and pick up one of the new katech NA 427's that they are making for them, that would make the car an absolute beast!

Was it the heatsoak you think? while motors are build, the C7Z still shouldn't feel that bad. They are still putting down 570+ in the HP department.

Or maybe I just haven't felt the pull of a Katech motor :)

Werks 03-19-2015 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Robert R1 (Post 1589219779)
Was it the heatsoak you think? while motors are build, the C7Z still shouldn't feel that bad. They are still putting down 570+ in the HP department.

We were talking about that during the ride, the concensus that we both came to is that engine simply is lacking in mid to top end compared to our katech engines. As mentioned it litteraly seems to fall on it's face around 5k rpm. It was acuatlly quite disapointing as the chassis stock handles awesome!

skxf430 03-19-2015 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Robert R1 (Post 1589219779)
They are still putting down 570+ in the HP department.

They might be putting down that much but they are also carrying around +500lbs more than a C6Z

Werks should starting selling E ticket ride alongs with his Katech motor. :D

vetten76 03-19-2015 07:54 PM

Outstanding answer. Thank you.

mikymu 03-19-2015 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by vetten76 (Post 1589216645)

don't know, have not driven C7Z. I am sure it's a capable car but it's really heavy and lose power after 2 laps - after engine get hot. Same issue with C6 ZR1. Our naturally aspirated engine is much better. Werks car is about 2900 lbs and mine is 3050 lbs. C7 Z06 haul around 3600 lbs which is like dragging a parachute. It's amazing that our 9 years old technology is still on top at the track and easily beat out other more sophisticated (and more expensive) cars.

That's alot of money and work to transplant the Katech engine plus you still have the weight penalty to deal with. It's kind of sad that C7 Z fall short of power beyond 5K RPM.

Originally Posted by skxf430 (Post 1589222259)
They might be putting down that much but they are also carrying around +500lbs more than a C6Z

Werks should starting selling E ticket ride alongs with his Katech motor. :D

Rich and Werks give rides but get ready to hold on!

smellya 03-28-2015 12:10 AM

Here is a pic from the last thunder hill day of the Z06 camp.http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5oqcrupw.jpg

mikymu 03-28-2015 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by smellya (Post 1589285016)
Here is a pic from the last thunder hill day of the Z06 camp.http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5oqcrupw.jpg

Nice!

C5ZEE06 03-29-2015 10:23 PM

Milkymu, Werks, others....you guys have racked up some serious track miles on your Z cars over the past several years.
What sort of maintenance and repair Issues are you seeing ?
Who is still running the Ccb's, or has everyone gone to the iron racing brake ?
How,s the stock ls7 hold up Mike ? Any repairs required ? Btw How many miles on the odometer Currently, and how much of those are on track?
Transmissions, differentials, drive shaft...holding up ok ?

Racingswh 03-29-2015 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by mikymu (Post 1589207691)

here is Rich reeling in orthojoe. Rich is a moster! He did 3:24 on Saturday :eek:

3 questions.

Am I seeing this correctly that this GT3 is in automatic mode or something? I don't even see his fingers moving to shift the car.

Is this the same configuration that Bill Brinkop runs 3:10's on?

Is it me or is there very little to hit at this tracK? It looks like a very safe place to go quick.

mikymu 03-30-2015 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by C5ZEE06 (Post 1589298966)
Milkymu, Werks, others....you guys have racked up some serious track miles on your Z cars over the past several years.
How,s the stock ls7 hold up Mike ? Any repairs required ? Btw How many miles on the odometer Currently, and how much of those are on track?

Everything is holding up surprising well after three years of track use. Engine and transmission is still original. Few hiccups such as small crack coolant pipes under the intake, lose transmission fluid line, sticky clutch and a broken fan belt all easy fix. stock shocks and leaf springs can not keep up for track use so I changed to coilover. My car is mostly for track use and don't drive it much around town so mileage is low. It's still the fastest street production car on the track (9 year old technology) every where I go. Just about the best car for track as far as cost/performance goes.

I go between CCM and iron rotors trying various brake pad compounds and iron win hands down with superior brake modulation. Werks still at it testing various brake pad compound for CCM and making some progress

Originally Posted by Racingswh (Post 1589299392)
3 questions.

Am I seeing this correctly that this GT3 is in automatic mode or something? I don't even see his fingers moving to shift the car.

Is this the same configuration that Bill Brinkop runs 3:10's on?

Is it me or is there very little to hit at this tracK? It looks like a very safe place to go quick.

991 GT3 comes with paddle shifter on the steering wheel so fingers does the shifting or you can put into full auto mode and the car shift for you as shown in Joe's video. Our Z06 is just about as good as paddle shifter ... you leave it in 3rd gear most of the time.

Yes, this is the same track that Bill ran 3:13. Bill is a very capable driver and has a fast C5 race car. For street car any lap time around 3:30 for the 5 miles configuration is very fast. Thunderhill is a great track and as you can see there are alot of run off. As long as you give some offering to the grass gods and not be greedy then you will be fine :D

visit my buddies at Thunderhill this weekend with the Porsche club event and did not drive this time and took it easy as spectator :thumbs:

smellya 03-30-2015 10:44 PM

I have around 10 track days in my car. My 06 Z06 has been tracked since around beginning of 06. I say over 120ish from 1st owner. It has around 35k miles total on the car now. It is on the 3rd motor. 3rd tranny. original diff. Its been through a few set of bushings. It has LG monoball bushings now. It has 3 out of 4 original hubs. front brake calipers have been rebuilt. I am running baer 6s calipers all around. with iron 14 inch rotors. not much is left stock on the car. Its fun to drive when the LS7 gods are happy. I hope to do around 18 more track days this season.

skxf430 03-31-2015 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by mikymu (Post 1589299952)
visit my buddies at Thunderhill this weekend with the Porsche club event and did not drive this time and took it easy as spectator :thumbs:

Mike, good to see you last weekend.

Here are a couple of videos of me following Robert R1 in the morning.

And, in the afternoon.

mikymu 03-31-2015 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by smellya (Post 1589307269)
I have around 10 track days in my car. My 06 Z06 has been tracked since around beginning of 06. I say over 120ish from 1st owner. It has around 35k miles total on the car now. It is on the 3rd motor. 3rd tranny. original diff. Its been through a few set of bushings. It has LG monoball bushings now. It has 3 out of 4 original hubs. front brake calipers have been rebuilt. I am running baer 6s calipers all around. with iron 14 inch rotors. not much is left stock on the car. Its fun to drive when the LS7 gods are happy. I hope to do around 18 more track days this season.

damn! That's some serious use on your Z06 :thumbs:

mikymu 03-31-2015 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by skxf430 (Post 1589308084)

Here are a couple of videos of me following Robert R1 in the afternoon.

WOW! very good driving and exhaust sound is crazy good :eek:

What a track event and they even have a Ferrari 458 pace car :D

Werks 03-31-2015 03:03 AM

And, in the afternoon.

Good god man, do you wear ear plugs? That has got to be the loudest exhaust that I have ever heard or are you running straight pipes lol?

Next time that you are out at T-hill try not downshifting before T1. That's something that I see a lot of Porsche drivers do but with our car staying in 4th simplifies things and allows you to focus more on late braking using max force and hitting your proper turn in marker for T1. You are probably in the mid 90's when coming out of T1 and rolling on the throttle so in 4th you are in the meat of the torque band on our engines. I then do my downshift to 3rd right before entering T2, go to maintenance throttle until the apex (you are probably in the 75-80mph range there) where you are in the meat of the torque band in 3rd and start unwinding the wheel and rolling on the throttle heading to T3. I have a feeling if you do that a few times and get comfortable with it you will find your entry speeds into T1 will start creeping up and you will be carrying more speed through the T1-T2 segment dropping your times. :cheers:

Robert R1 03-31-2015 11:48 AM

And, in the afternoon.

Thank you so much for posting these! That was a blast. First time ever I've gotten to see myself drive. Lots to improve on.

Great driving man. Really nice.

skxf430 03-31-2015 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Werks (Post 1589308240)
Good god man, do you wear ear plugs? That has got to be the loudest exhaust that I have ever heard or are you running straight pipes lol?

Next time that you are out at T-hill try not downshifting before T1. That's something that I see a lot of Porsche drivers do but with our car staying in 4th simplifies things and allows you to focus more on late braking using max force and hitting your proper turn in marker for T1. You are probably in the mid 90's when coming out of T1 and rolling on the throttle so in 4th you are in the meat of the torque band on our engines. I then do my downshift to 3rd right before entering T2, go to maintenance throttle until the apex (you are probably in the 75-80mph range there) where you are in the meat of the torque band in 3rd and start unwinding the wheel and rolling on the throttle heading to T3. I have a feeling if you do that a few times and get comfortable with it you will find your entry speeds into T1 will start creeping up and you will be carrying more speed through the T1-T2 segment dropping your times. :cheers:

Hey Ron,

The external mic is attached to my license plate so the sounds is over the top. My exhaust is fairly quiet so I like to have some sound on my videos. :)

I was experimenting with both downshifting, and 4th gear into to turn 1 and downshifting into turn 2. The latter like you said is slightly faster and I was able to do 154's in the afternoon.

Originally Posted by mikymu (Post 1589308149)
WOW! very good driving and exhaust sound is crazy good :eek:

What a track event and they even have a Ferrari 458 pace car :D

Thanks Mike, and the 458's had T-Rex arms so I could not see their point bys for most of the day. :D

Originally Posted by Robert R1 (Post 1589310309)
Thank you so much for posting these! That was a blast. First time ever I've gotten to see myself drive. Lots to improve on.

Great driving man. Really nice.

Robert, good to meet up with you again, and it was fun picking on the other cars that day. I look forward to doing it again soon.

mikymu 03-31-2015 02:13 PM

I like the new wing on your Z06!

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...745a49949a.png

skxf430 03-31-2015 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by mikymu (Post 1589311546)

That is an optical illusion, and that is the wing of DC640's Bimmer. Lol.

Robert R1 03-31-2015 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by skxf430 (Post 1589311343)
The latter like you said is slightly faster and I was able to do 154's in the afternoon.

Nice!!! We're going to push each other into the 52's next time. No doubt about it.

How did the Hoosiers hold up during the 2nd day at Thill and you BW day?

Werks 03-31-2015 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by skxf430 (Post 1589311343)
Hey Ron,

The external mic is attached to my license plate so the sounds is over the top. My exhaust is fairly quiet so I like to have some sound on my videos. :)

I was experimenting with both downshifting, and 4th gear into to turn 1 and downshifting into turn 2. The latter like you said is slightly faster and I was able to do 154's in the afternoon.

Glad that you tried out holding 4th through T1. It's allways good to play around with shift points and see what works best.

In regards to the external mike, that explains things! I was wondering how you dealt with that at first! I'm playing around with some new packing in my exhaust and it's almost too quite now, I'm thinking of nick naming my car "whispering death" or something like that lol! Take a look at the new video shot by none other than Mike comparing it to Richi's yellow Z and a stock white BMW M4!

skxf430 03-31-2015 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Robert R1 (Post 1589314073)
Nice!!! We're going to push each other into the 52's next time. No doubt about it.

How did the Hoosiers hold up during the 2nd day at Thill and you BW day?

Unfortunately, I got a flat in one of my rear tires, so I had to use the 888's the rest of the trip. Not sure if I have a 52' in this old body. :)

mikymu 03-31-2015 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Werks (Post 1589314159)
Glad that you tried out holding 4th through T1. It's allways good to play around with shift points and see what works best.

In regards to the external mike, that explains things! I was wondering how you dealt with that at first! I'm playing around with some new packing in my exhaust and it's almost too quite now, I'm thinking of nick naming my car "whispering death" or something like that lol! Take a look at the new video shot by none other than Mike comparing it to Richi's yellow Z and a stock white BMW M4!

That is super quiet for sure and perfect for Laguna Seca. I am sure your interior engine sound is still nice and loud as not to resort to "synthetic sounds" generated by speakers found with many new BMW :ack:

skxf430 03-31-2015 10:18 PM

Ron's exhaust is Ninja quiet like a stealth bomber. I need some noise so I can hear myself heal toe shift.

Ron are you running a LG rear wing? Got any pics of it?

Werks 04-01-2015 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by skxf430 (Post 1589315629)
Ron's exhaust is Ninja quiet like a stealth bomber. I need some noise so I can hear myself heal toe shift.

Ron are you running a LG rear wing? Got any pics of it?

No it's one of Kerry Hitt from ACP Products World Challenge Wing's. I don't really have any good pictures of just the wing but here's one of the car set up for the street:

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...a8343335ad.jpg

And here is another from ACP's site:

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...19accf512d.jpg

Besides the Pratt & Miller C6Z wing that is unavailable to us mere mortals and is mega $ (like $10K+). The ACP WC wing is about 1/2 the cost and is used by most of the purpose built race cars, it's wind tunnel tested and the best performing wing available for our cars. Build quality is awesome and at 6 feet across the thing only weighs something like 3 or 4lbs lol. It's amazing how light the thing is when you pick it up! The wing mounts do attach directly to the frame so installation is a bit more complex and time consuming than with other wings but it's well worth it.

Z06Ronald 04-01-2015 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Werks (Post 1589316930)
No it's one of Kerry Hitt from ACP Products World Challenge Wing's. I don't really have any good pictures of just the wing but here's one of the car set up for the street:

Besides the Pratt & Miller C6Z wing that is unavailable to us mere mortals and is mega $ (like $10K+). The ACP WC wing is about 1/2 the cost and is used by most of the purpose built race cars, it's wind tunnel tested and the best performing wing available for our cars. Build quality is awesome and at 6 feet across the thing only weighs something like 3 or 4lbs lol. It's amazing how light the thing is when you pick it up! The wing mounts do attach directly to the frame so installation is a bit more complex and time consuming than with other wings but it's well worth it.

A few more .. :)

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...156a7a3755.jpg

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...d8207e0f5e.jpg

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...9d53b04712.jpg

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...a6e8f722ad.jpg

skxf430 04-01-2015 12:11 PM

wow, what an awesome looking wing!!!! And, you can still gain access to the hatch which is ideal. The mounting to the frame must be pretty labor intensive. We need better shops in Los Angeles to do that type of work.

Z06Ronald 04-01-2015 02:34 PM

I agree, very pretty and fully functional too. One can easily remove it from its base even, e.g. for street use.
I wonder if we can organize a group buy in some form. I would certainly be interested myself.
Kerry Hitt isn't very often on the forum though - Hello from Advanced Composite Products (ACP)

skxf430 04-01-2015 02:45 PM

The ACP and LG wings looks very similar. ACP actually has a picture on their site of a LG car so maybe they are the same???

Z06Ronald 04-01-2015 03:27 PM

I guess so. The Corvette community is rather small and the real good companies - ACP and LGM being two of them - all know each other.

Racingswh 04-01-2015 03:36 PM

Is there any way to see how that wing is mounted? It looks fantastic!!

Do they have any "mounting legs" that get it up into higher, cleaner air or is that what is recommended?

Z06Ronald 04-01-2015 03:51 PM

Not the same wing (but similar) and similarly mounted.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...d33e86423e.jpg

Source: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1588195844

Racingswh 04-01-2015 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Z06Ronald (Post 1589320956)
Not the same wing (but similar) and similarly mounted.

THANKS!!! That we can do. That's great. I really appreciate it!!

Werks 04-01-2015 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Racingswh (Post 1589320828)
Do they have any "mounting legs" that get it up into higher, cleaner air or is that what is recommended?

You don't need taller mounting legs. The ACP wing was designed in a wind tunnel with the guys from GM for racing use. It (the wing) is shaped specifically to conform with the air flow over the rear hatch area etc.

Z06Ronald 04-01-2015 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Werks (Post 1589323472)
You don't need taller mounting legs. The ACP wing was designed in a wind tunnel with the guys from GM for racing use. It (the wing) is shaped specifically to conform with the air flow over the rear hatch area etc.

Ron, is the ACP wing supplied with all the necessary hardware, i.e. including the mounts / pedestals or whatever you call them?

mikymu 04-01-2015 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Werks (Post 1589316930)

I still remember once you had the wing installed your lap time drop by 4+ seconds and set your best lap time at Thunderhill due to better balance and down force. Your rear was pretty lose before installing the wing

skxf430 04-01-2015 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by mikymu (Post 1589324543)
I still remember once you had the wing installed your lap time drop by 4+ seconds and set your best lap time at Thunderhill due to better balance and down force. Your rear was pretty lose before installing the wing

It was loose because Werks was running those funny orange parts before.

smellya 04-02-2015 12:08 AM

So we should not let Rich get any aero.... :rofl:

mikymu 04-02-2015 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by skxf430 (Post 1589324638)

lol

Originally Posted by smellya (Post 1589324739)

I told Rich wings and aero are too heavy, it will slow him down

Werks 04-02-2015 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by Z06Ronald (Post 1589323581)
Ron, is the ACP wing supplied with all the necessary hardware, i.e. including the mounts / pedestals or whatever you call them?

No the wing as listed on the price list is literally just the wing. End plates, gurney flap, mounting brackets etc are all separate. I believe the total cost for everything (minus installation) was around $5k

Yep the wing and front splitter set up made a huge difference in grip and totally transformed the car! Now even when I'm out running fast laps I'm still for the most part driving around 80% or 85%, so well within the capabilities of the car and with a huge margin for error.

Originally Posted by skxf430 (Post 1589324638)

Lol, orange is different!

Originally Posted by smellya (Post 1589324739)

Rich pushes his car hard and is on edge, he's an excellent driver and his extensive autocross skill allows him to drive at the limit like that. Aero certainly would make his life easier because an average skill set driver would probably only be able to make one or two laps driving like that before crashing lol! I have heard that a certain canary yellow might be getting some aero in the future though!

Originally Posted by mikymu (Post 1589324780)
lol

Lol, I told him that to do it right it's too expensive and it will break the bank, so maybe between the two of use we can buy our selves some time so that we can figure out how to keep up with him. I can hang if I really push it but I think I have to get away from these cheap Conti slicks that I have been using the last 2 years and set my car up for Hoosiers to really have a shot. Thank god he decided to pass on switching to Michelin slicks because I certainly did not want to go down that road!

RichieRichZ06 04-02-2015 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by smellya (Post 1589285016)

Nice Pic. We really had quite the Corvette presence up there that weekend.

Ron and I have a lot of mods done to our cars, but my transmission and diff is 100% stock. I have found that maintaining the parts on the car is cheap insurance and will make them last a lot longer. We do a lot of transmission repairs to cars with far less power than mine, but lot of it boils down to less fluid changes causing the internal parts to wear out sooner.

I have 32k miles on our Z06 and not one of them has been easy on it. Dozens of track days, over 1,000 auto cross laps and ~50 passes down the drag strip without any issues since the Katech engine was built.

I switched the stock C6Z brakes over to the CCB's last year and I would never go back. I know that Mike has issues with them, but I love them and I am always impressed with how damn good they stop. I flush the fluid once a season and run Castrol SRF in the brakes and clutch. I also installed a much larger clutch reservoir, along with a Tilton slave and master setup. I am getting 4-5 track days on the 3 mile course or 2.5 days on the 5 miles course on a set of front pads.

Originally Posted by Werks (Post 1589308240)

Excellent advise. I used to downshift into 1 and realized it's a helluva lot easier and faster to leave the car in 4th and get right back on the gas after turning in.

My car is loud, but that is using stock ZR1 mufflers. Ron's car used to be at least as loud as mine, but the Burns setup is much quieter. I think the new design packing material that we just installed in his mufflers made it even quieter than before.

lol

:rofl:

Originally Posted by Werks (Post 1589325106)

Yep the wing and front splitter set up made a huge difference in grip and totally transformed the car! Now even when I'm out running fast laps I'm still for the most part driving around 80% or 85%, so well within the capabilities of the car and with a huge margin for error.

Lol, orange is different!

Rich pushes his car hard and is on edge, he's an excellent driver and his extensive autocross skill allows him to drive at the limit like that. Aero certainly would make his life easier because an average skill set driver would probably only be able to make one or two laps driving like that before crashing lol! I have heard that a certain canary yellow might be getting some aero in the future though!

Lol, I told him that to do it right it's too expensive and it will break the bank, so maybe between the two of use we can buy our selves some time so that we can figure out how to keep up with him. I can hang if I really push it but I think I have to get away from these cheap Conti slicks that I have been using the last 2 years and set my car up for Hoosiers to really have a shot. Thank god he decided to pass on switching to Michelin slicks because I certainly did not want to go down that road!

Thanks for the compliments :D

I have always been a little on the edge behind the wheel, but I am also very comfortable at Thunderhill. I've probably had 50+ track days up there in various cars and I am really taking a liking to the 5 mile setup. What's funny is that I've never even pushed the car 100% because every time we're up there I always have a passenger in the car. Next time up I want to get a couple laps alone and see what I can turn.

I got a SoloDL so that I can see lap times because I've never had a timer in the car and always have to rely on you or Mike to tell me times. Luckily I had a friend with a stop watch to get me some lap times on our last track day.

I'm glad you guys talked me out of the Michelin slicks. They sound like fun, but won't last too long and the size of the rear tire would require changing the suspension setup.

I really need to get the car aligned again and double check everything. It's been almost 3 years since I had it aligned and I've never had it corner weighted. It also wouldn't hurt to get some weight out of it. I was able to put it on the scales at an SCCA auto x event a couple weeks ago and it was 3,165 without me in it.

Werks 04-02-2015 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06 (Post 1589327350)
I got a SoloDL so that I can see lap times because I've never had a timer in the car and always have to rely on you or Mike to tell me times. Luckily I had a friend with a stop watch to get me some lap times on our last track day.

I'm glad you guys talked me out of the Michelin slicks. They sound like fun, but won't last too long and the size of the rear tire would require changing the suspension setup.

I really need to get the car aligned again and double check everything. It's been almost 3 years since I had it aligned and I've never had it corner weighted. It also wouldn't hurt to get some weight out of it. I was able to put it on the scales at an SCCA auto x event a couple weeks ago and it was 3,165 without me in it.

You are going to like the SoloDL. One of the nice features is that you can put it into predictive lap timing mode. So it will record the first 2 lap times (to get an average) and then will show the pace that you are on for the following laps. So say you were on a 3:20 pace but you decided to try a different line through a section, if it reduces your time you can easily see it because the predicted time displayed on the times will drop to 3:18 or what not. So it helps you easily figure out if what you are doing is an improvement or not.

In regards to the Michelins, those 710 rears are just huge and especially with you autocrossing your car a lot you would be completely changing the set up on your car every week or two lol!

carpe dm 04-02-2015 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by gtodoug (Post 1580816198)
Great post! A fun read and very informative. :)

:iagree: Enjoy! :thumbs:

smellya 04-02-2015 07:41 PM

lol

Good call and keep him on 200 tread wear :thumbs:

Robert R1 04-02-2015 11:23 PM

I will have to try the keep it in 4th for T1 approach. Getting on the gas there hard in 3rd can be a bit sketchy as the turn crests.

mikymu 04-05-2015 01:20 PM

Thanks for the compliments :D

I have always been a little on the edge behind the wheel, but I am also very comfortable at Thunderhill. I've probably had 50+ track days up there in various cars and I am really taking a liking to the 5 mile setup. What's funny is that I've never even pushed the car 100% because every time we're up there I always have a passenger in the car. Next time up I want to get a couple laps alone and see what I can turn.

My god! hard to imagine how much faster you are going to be with good alignment, corner balance etc. Now with you and Ron running ahead I can sit back and act as moving chicane for 991 GT3 :D

Originally Posted by carpe dm (Post 1589327476)
:iagree: Enjoy! :thumbs:

excellent

Originally Posted by smellya (Post 1589330759)
Good call and keep him on 200 tread wear :thumbs:

forgot to mention that aero also create too much wind noise so Rich should definitely avoid any silly addition such as wing or splitter

Originally Posted by Robert R1 (Post 1589332388)
I will have to try the keep it in 4th for T1 approach. Getting on the gas there hard in 3rd can be a bit sketchy as the turn crests.

Yes, much easier to attack T1 if you stay in 4th and can carry higher entrance speed. Just keep in mind despite the uphill banked turn most car can not handle the left hand turn much faster than 95 mph ... I found out the hard way by attacking it at 100 mph :woohoo:

go to 8:13 mark on the video

what we need is a good pit crew so if we do go off our tires can be changes and visor cleaned in style :thumbs:

Bad_AX 04-06-2015 08:32 AM

Werks, are you running the 4.5" Burns mufflers? What are they packed with? That's an amazingly low sound level.

Bad_AX 04-06-2015 08:35 AM

Nice Pic. We really had quite the Corvette presence up there that weekend.

Ron and I have a lot of mods done to our cars, but my transmission and diff is 100% stock. I have found that maintaining the parts on the car is cheap insurance and will make them last a lot longer. We do a lot of transmission repairs to cars with far less power than mine, but lot of it boils down to less fluid changes causing the internal parts to wear out sooner.

I have 32k miles on our Z06 and not one of them has been easy on it. Dozens of track days, over 1,000 auto cross laps and ~50 passes down the drag strip without any issues since the Katech engine was built.

Rich,

Can you tell us how often you change your driveline fluids, and are you using OEM lube?

Thanks,

Werks 04-06-2015 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Bad_AX (Post 1589355191)
Werks, are you running the 4.5" Burns mufflers? What are they packed with? That's an amazingly low sound level.

Yes I'm running the Burns C6-Z06 exhaust which uses their 4.5" mufflers. In regards to packing material I was testing a new fiber material that they are working on and as you can see in the video the results are pretty amazing! Inside the car running with the windows open etc. you do not realize how quite the car is but after seeing the DB meter reading and watching the video I was frankly amazed!

Bad_AX 04-06-2015 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Werks (Post 1589356576)
Yes I'm running the Burns C6-Z06 exhaust which uses their 4.5" mufflers. In regards to packing material I was testing a new fiber material that they are working on and as you can see in the video the results are pretty amazing! Inside the car running with the windows open etc. you do not realize how quite the car is but after seeing the DB meter reading and watching the video I was frankly amazed!

That sounds like a great system to be so light and yet so quiet. I like the idea of an exhaust that makes power without damaging your hearing or making the car miserable for driving on the road. Thanks for the all the great information you guys post about your cars and mods.

el es tu 04-06-2015 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by mikymu (Post 1589350148)

what we need is a good pit crew so if we do go off our tires can be changes and visor cleaned in style :thumbs:

RichieRichZ06 04-21-2015 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bad_AX (Post 1589355204)
Rich,

Can you tell us how often you change your driveline fluids, and are you using OEM lube?

Thanks,

Sorry for the late response. I change the rear diff and trans fluds after every 4 track days. I have always used Amsoil 'Torque Drive" in the trans and their 'Severe Gear" 75w90 in the rear diff.

McMung 04-27-2015 01:13 PM

Rich do you run with any aftermarket seats + cage at this time?

I'd like to switch out stock seats to something like the new(ish) Sparco Ergos with the removable halo, but am assuming I'd also need to install provisions for a 6 point which then turns into a cage discussion.

Is there anyone in the greater Sacramento area you guys would recommend for this kind of fabrication work on a C6Z?

mikymu 04-28-2015 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by McMung (Post 1589508699)
Rich do you run with any aftermarket seats + cage at this time?

I'd like to switch out stock seats to something like the new(ish) Sparco Ergos with the removable halo, but am assuming I'd also need to install provisions for a 6 point which then turns into a cage discussion.

Is there anyone in the greater Sacramento area you guys would recommend for this kind of fabrication work on a C6Z?

Mike at Tolle Fab will be able to take care of your needs http://tollefab.com/index.html

smellya 04-28-2015 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by mikymu (Post 1589514044)
Mike at Tolle Fab will be able to take care of your needs http://tollefab.com/index.html

:iagree: My C6Z is in his photos. The Blue C6Z

mikymu 04-28-2015 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by smellya (Post 1589514093)
:iagree: My C6Z is in his photos. The Blue C6Z

Yup, he did a great job with your car!

DaveN007 05-09-2015 05:19 PM

Big thanks to mikymu for letting me keep up for a few laps and learn the full course. (I know the 3 mile... But not the full 5). May 8th at Thunderhill.

By the third lap I felt like I was doing a good job keeping up.

Until mikymu gave a nicely courteous wave and disappeared. LMAO.

Great guy and a gorgeous car. Nice meeting you.

Dave

mikymu 05-10-2015 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by DaveN007 (Post 1589596883)
Big thanks to mikymu for letting me keep up for a few laps and learn the full course. (I know the 3 mile... But not the full 5). May 8th at Thunderhill.

By the third lap I felt like I was doing a good job keeping up.

Until mikymu gave a nicely courteous wave and disappeared. LMAO.

Great guy and a gorgeous car. Nice meeting you.

Dave

Hey Dave, it was very nice meeting you too and your track enthusiasm is contagious. With more time and practice you will be able to harass Richie soon :D I enjoy our lead and follow session and sorry I took off after three laps but I think you got it down pretty good and glad to hear now you really enjoy driving the 5 miles now. This 5 miles configuration can be intimidating even for season driver but once you get it down it's pure joy.

Rich pull an amazing 3:18 lap and the best I could manage was 3:27 and Derek with his blue C5 racer is getting harder and harder to catch and we were doing 3:28 in traffic. Overall a great day at the track and had fun fine tuning the nut behind my steering wheel and there are so much work left to do

Here are some action pics and videos to share with you guys

Thunderhill 5 miles track map for those not familiar with the track

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...7b4ffadb49.jpg

My best lap was toward the end of this video but mess up on 9W and 12E and went in both turns too hot - still managed best time for the T5 over the top configuration

This video showed the danger when traction control kick in unexpectedly when my right front TPMS suddenly went out. Luckily this happen at 7W the slowest corner of the whole track. If this happen on a faster turn the chance of going off will be great. Best to unplug the steering wheel position sensor when you track to disable the traction control. I also included couple blooper video and also chase view of Richie's monster Katech Z06 at the end. I tried to keep up Rich but you need to slow down for me to get some good shots :toetap:

The Z06 gang :)

http://imageshack.com/a/img540/3964/7eEJzn.jpg

my friend Pete's BAC mono

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...98be7089eb.jpg

I need a steering wheel like this lol

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...6ea4042022.jpg

Tried RB light weight CCM rear hat which shave 4 lbs from each rear CCM rotor. Pick up acceleration is sharper and brisk for sure

http://imageshack.com/a/img661/2475/Y8l2Qn.jpg

Action shots from the track

http://imageshack.com/a/img537/6493/otZHAs.jpg

lead/follow with Dave's blue C7 Z06

http://imageshack.com/a/img540/9954/YwGGL8.jpg

more pics

http://imageshack.com/a/img673/6531/v1Umon.jpg

Derek and company in tow

http://imageshack.com/a/img538/2667/g8TEjc.jpg

zig zag of Thunderhill

http://imageshack.com/a/img661/1069/mq5N4t.jpg

saying thanks to Dito at gotbluemilk photography for risking life and limbs and staying out in the hot sun at T3 taking all these amazing shots

http://imageshack.com/a/img661/1056/PE7ZmT.jpg

wrapping up after a fun fill day. What a car! I will say this again, our Z06 is by far the best track car money can buy hands down and this is a 10 years old technology and still the fastest street sports car for the track any day :thumbs:

http://imageshack.com/a/img537/1952/aPh9AH.jpg

Is2scooby 05-11-2015 01:03 AM

Mikymu, fantastic post as always. I love reading about your track exploits!