CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   This truly solved my "hunting for idle" problem. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/1233480-this-truly-solved-my-hunting-for-idle-problem.html)

blown87 11-15-2005 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by CMYC4GO
Unbelievable... :skep: :leaving:

:iagree:

kopbet89c4 11-15-2005 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by bigcityvette
do you have the egr hole under the plenum lid sealed with the superram? if not you car will run and idle bad.

In fact, I still have all the EGR stuff on my car but the EGR tube itself is blocked off with a plate. I always thought you don't use EGR on start up, idle and WOT?!?! Isn't EGR only used during light throttle and cruising?

kopbet89c4 11-15-2005 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by hippy
Why don't you just drill some small holes in the T/B blades? Maybe your IAC just needs to be reset AGAIN? Maybe your TPS voltage needs to be raised above 1v. at idle?

P.S. Kid, you didn't solve sht, you just masked your problem.

No matter how many times I have reset the IAC and followed the resetting procedure, my car will never idle from a warm start. Initially when started, idle is 1400 rpms. Then it dips to 400 or even stalls out. Then it goes back up to around 1200. Dips back to 400. Does this a couple more times AND THEN it will settle right at 700 rpms. OK, I've tried the .70 volts at the TPS, still wandering idle. 500, 600, 700 rpm base idle speeds, still wanders at idle or stalls out if hot or humid.

cv67 11-15-2005 11:22 AM

Set the TPS to .54

kopbet89c4 11-15-2005 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by USAsOnlyWay
Ok, its late and I haven't read over all the thread.

But here is something to try. If Bill is on to something. It may be that you are sucking in gas into your intake and causing your problems. Try this.

1)Unplug the vacuum hose you have and note how the car idles. (Obviously you have done this, and it appears to idle just fine)

2)Take the now "vacuum leak" you created and plug that port on the tb. Not with the original vacuum line. But just with a plug. My thinking is this, with this port plugged. The charcoal canister system is completely cut off from the system. Also you are no longer relying on an un-metered air supply to keep the motor running. Unforunately I am without my manuals so I am unsure on how the charcoal canister system works. But I will assume my logic is mostly correct here.

Now, if it still idles like crap. I would put the charcoal canister test on hold and dismantle your TB. (Actually it would be better if you could use a code reader to see what the IAC is doing(or even working), but barring that....) Pull it apart and remove the IAC valve (Carefully) clean the entire thing out until it is clean. My thinking is, HYPOTHETICALLY saying that you have a working IAC valve. (Which may not be the case) You may have it so gunked up in side the TB that the IAC valve is not able to meter the correct amount of air in to allow the engine to idle. Then reset the TPS/IAC valve using the proper procedure explained in the Tech Tips. I urge you to do this. And do it right!

If the motor did idle fine. Then continue on testing Bill's hypothesis and see if it is indeed drawing fumes into your plenum.

Let us know how this goes and we can try to move forward on this problem.

On other thing. Don't go drilling or anything like that. You don't need that. The system should run fine without it. Hell you are on a stock cam aren't you. Just don't do anything permanant till you knocked out the easy stuff.

Also a few other questions:
1) Did it have this problem pre-SR install?
2) Did it have this problem immediatly after SR install?
3) What parts were reused on SR install? (TB/IAC valve???)

Did ALL of that. I have always had this idle problem even with my stock intake + a hard start. Back then, my injectors were leaking which in turn caused the hard start. Took off my IAC. It looks like it is in perfect condition. In fact, I bought an IAC and put it in place of the one I have right now on my car. Still, it did the exact same wandering idle. Apparently it wasn't the IAC valve even if I tried the new one. I returned it and got my money back.

A fellow CF member told me that my whole tune is still very rich, especially at open loop mode. That would also explain lack of power and my 9 second passes in the 1/8 mile strip EVEN if I had on the SRI and tuning.

kopbet89c4 11-15-2005 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Set the TPS to .54

Did that once. That was with the vacuum line back to the EVAP system. What do I get? A stall shortly after start up. :thumbs:

ps: Yes, my IAC and the TPS have been reset for the 253894572nd time as well. :willy:

CFI-EFI 11-15-2005 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by kopbet89c4
So far, this is my "controlled vacuum leak" much of like what my IAC is supposed to do but has never controlled the idle as well as this "vacuum leak" mod.

"controlled vacuum leak"??? Really? What controls it? What causes it to idle faster when it is cold? What bumps up the idle when you turn on the A/C? Who or what is controlling your "controlled vacuum leak"

Since the IAC hasn't worked properly, as evidenced by, "my IAC is supposed to do but has never controlled the idle"", Why don't you spend your time [B]FIXING]/B] the IAC system, rather than searching for a way around it?

This is much like the "drilling holes in the TB plates" mod that many other CF member have once asked about.

Drilling holes in the throttle plates is a carb modification, not one for an EFI TB. There is no way you would understand it, so I'll simply say that it has to do with the idle circuit on a carburetor that a TB doesn't have. Not that I expect that you will, but you can forget making that mod or even the comparisons of that mod to your situation. Either way... It doesn't apply.

Maybe my pcmforless.com tune isn't as perfect as I have once perceived it to be. Sorry Alvin, but I might have to send back the piggyback chip to make sure you did everything right in order to use the EVAP canister like the General wanted originally. Or is it perhaps using 22# factoy flow injectors from Bosch? TIA :cheers:

I DO hope Alvin is reading this. He certainly knows better than to try to tune to, or issue a refund for, a chip for a mis-configured engine.

Are you really this stupid? Or just this stubborn? :smash:

RACE ON!!!

CFI-EFI 11-15-2005 11:54 AM

So far, this is my "controlled vacuum leak" much of like what my IAC is supposed to do but has never controlled the idle as well as this "vacuum leak" mod.

"controlled vacuum leak"??? Really? What controls it? What causes it to idle faster when it is cold? What bumps up the idle when you turn on the A/C? Who or what is controlling your "controlled vacuum leak"

Since the IAC hasn't worked properly, as evidenced by, "my IAC is supposed to do but has never controlled the idle"", Why don't you spend your time FIXING the IAC system, rather than searching for a way around it?

This is much like the "drilling holes in the TB plates" mod that many other CF member have once asked about.

Drilling holes in the throttle plates is a carb modification, not one for an EFI TB. There is no way you would understand it, so I'll simply say that it has to do with the idle circuit on a carburetor that a TB doesn't have. Not that I expect that you will, but you can forget making that mod or even the comparisons of that mod to your situation. Either way... It doesn't apply.

Maybe my pcmforless.com tune isn't as perfect as I have once perceived it to be. Sorry Alvin, but I might have to send back the piggyback chip to make sure you did everything right in order to use the EVAP canister like the General wanted originally. Or is it perhaps using 22# factoy flow injectors from Bosch? TIA :cheers:

I DO hope Alvin is reading this. He certainly knows better than to try to tune to, or issue a refund for, a chip for a mis-configured engine.

RACE ON!!!

q2blaster@work 11-15-2005 12:04 PM

here we go again

Looks like my old buddy "Richard Cranium" is at it again!

When somebody has such an aggravating problem, the last thing they need while being frustrated is to be insulted, or talked down to. I thought the whole idea of this forum was to help each other through the problems we encounter and share our experiences. I dont care how much knowledge some of you have, being an a-hole is still being an a-hole. Cut the guy some slack and try to help him, and maybe be a little understanding! :toetap:

hippy 11-15-2005 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by q2blaster@work
When somebody has such an aggravating problem, the last thing they need while being frustrated is to be insulted, or talked down to. I thought the whole idea of this forum was to help each other through the problems we encounter and share our experiences. I dont care how much knowledge some of you have, being an a-hole is still being an a-hole. Cut the guy some slack and try to help him, and maybe be a little understanding! :toetap:

You obviously haven't read the original posters previous posts and the advice he was given. Talk about advice falling on deaf ears.

q2blaster@work 11-15-2005 01:01 PM

i understand

I provide tech support all day for heating and a/c contractors, and from what I see sometimes you get so frustrated trying to fix something that you just dont get it, even when good advice is given. And when you add in the fact that its your personal vette, that doesnt help either. Just wanted to voice my opinion on certain posters attitudes. At one time or another we have all been there!

CFI-EFI 11-15-2005 01:54 PM

So where the heck is YOUR assistance??? I don't see one word of advice or help with the problem. All I see is a trouble making, rabble rousing, name caller, that has jumped into the middle of page three of a thread with none of the, "help each other through the problems we encounter and share our experiences", camaraderie he professes, but merely as a "spoiler". If you don't have any contribution to the thread you can keep your thoughts to yourself.

RACE ON!!!

q2blaster@work 11-15-2005 02:06 PM

my opinion

My opinion is this, he has already frustrated himself to the point he's not thinking rational, If I knew the answer I would try and help him, what ever it took. I think he should bite the bullet and take it to somebody who knows and just get it repaired. As far as my opinion being kept to myself, every time I see you insulting somebody from now on you can bet I will put in my two cents! If you have the knowledge your supposed to, why dont you explain away. Otherwise try and be a little compassionate to people.

p.s.

have a nice day!

Red Tornado 11-15-2005 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
RACE ON!!!

yes, he really is that stupid.

Red Tornado 11-15-2005 07:12 PM

My opinion is this, he has already frustrated himself to the point he's not thinking rational

you must have not been on here very long. he acted that way from the day he joined this forum. this is why i will never waste my time offering any constructive advice to him, ever again.

Red Tornado 11-15-2005 07:14 PM

CFI-EFI is tough at times, but he works hard every day to help. I'd much rather learn from him, no matter how hard he would yelling at me :D

bigcityvette 11-15-2005 07:16 PM

In fact, I still have all the EGR stuff on my car but the EGR tube itself is blocked off with a plate. I always thought you don't use EGR on start up, idle and WOT?!?! Isn't EGR only used during light throttle and cruising?

no, if you pull the lid off the plenum there should be a "hole" that is tapped to be sealed shut. This "hole" feeds the egr system and needs to be plugged. At least thats how it was when I had a superram on my car.

Red Tornado 11-15-2005 07:24 PM

to the original poster, i'm re-posting this advice, its your best bet:

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Get that car in the hands of someone qualified befor you hurt that motor....Did you get the correct MAF yet?

and don't you dare even insinuate that pcmforless has anything to do with your current problems. i too, hope that alvin reads this thread. he would crap his pants.

hippy 11-15-2005 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Hot Rod 90
to the original poster, i'm re-posting this advice, its your best bet:

and don't you dare even insinuate that pcmforless has anything to do with your current problems. i too, hope that alvin reads this thread. he would crap his pants.

Are you trying to tell us Alvin has a fecal incontinence problem? I don't think he'll appreciate that. J/K Alvin. :lol:

Red Tornado 11-15-2005 07:54 PM

:lol: well alvin might develop one, if he hears what this kid is doing to screw up his tune!