CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   Mods you regretted... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/1634941-mods-you-regretted.html)

JEFNLSA 02-27-2007 11:25 AM

At times I regret lowering my LT4 (front & rear). Although it looks great & feels great, you just can't drive the car w/ reckless abandon like you could at stock height. I find myself driving more cautiously because of the lowering and that does take some of the fun out of the whole experience. My very recent addition of the QA1 shocks sure helped though...in fact, my regret level has been lowered significantly since I put these on.

Red Tornado 02-27-2007 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by zadocrackers (Post 1559139628)
I regret installing intake air foil and K&N air filter. I did it before I joined this forum. Both were waste of money

might as well add in the open lid & k&n gig. makes for the fabulous trio of stupidity that this forum espoused just a couple years ago :lol:

then again, that's where the magic the search function here can bring up necessary dissention.

rocco16 02-27-2007 11:53 AM

Great thread!
Should be required reading for all new C4 owners.

My philosophy is "stock engine/upgraded chassis".

That way I avoid major regrets....and so far my only regret was installing Edelbrock IAS shocks. Fortunately, they came off as easily as they went on and another Forum member was glad to buy them. :thumbs:

Larry
code5coupe

Red Tornado 02-27-2007 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by rocco16 (Post 1559145273)
My philosophy is "stock engine/upgraded chassis".

this is where many of us part ways. imo, stock performance is an embarrassment. thats L98 and LT1, unless of course someone got lucky with some steroid factory freak. the engine needs a major upgrade in today's enviornment. C4's should all have had 400hp right out of the factory. so i say to gm they balled us from behind, particularly the L98.

Fast Doc 02-27-2007 01:00 PM

My CE Roadster was modified by the original owner, I am the second owner.

It has Corsa cat back exhaust, a chip, and a K&N, a CAGS bypass, and maybe a few other mods I am not yet aware of.

If it was up to me, I'd have left it stock, except maybe the CAGS bypass.

I would have considered showing the car someday, and these mods would hurt its collecter's value. They can be undone, but it would be expensive.

Whatever modest bump in performance the exhaust gives, I think I would have prefered the quiet of the stock LT4 pipes.

Bill

JEFNLSA 02-27-2007 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Fast Doc (Post 1559146190)
It has Corsa cat back exhaust, a chip, and a K&N, a CAGS bypass, and maybe a few other mods I am not yet aware of.

"Chips" don't apply to '96's. You may have had the PCM re-tuned...

rocco16 02-27-2007 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Hot Rod 90 (Post 1559145360)
stock performance is an embarrassment. .... the engine needs a major upgrade in today's enviornment. C4's should all have had 400hp right out of the factory. so i say to gm they balled us from behind, particularly the L98.

I understand your desire for upper-echelon performance in today's environment, but you must remember that the L98's were awesome when they were new...which was 22 years ago!!
Even the LT1's and LT4's (and they are at least 11 years old) were incredibly powerful stock engines in their day.

To say we were somehow cheated when Chevy made these cars so many years ago is being unfair, in my view. I say, "Thank You, GM" for giving so many of us this fantastic, affordable machine.

Larry
code5coupe

mikeb 02-27-2007 02:37 PM

Mods I regretted.......

Installing wings on the car.
Remorse beset me almost immediately;

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...e/rearwing.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3.../frontwing.jpg

But, I fired up the grill, and ate them the same day.
:thumbs:

LT4BUD 02-27-2007 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by rocco16 (Post 1559146579)
I understand your desire for upper-echelon performance in today's environment, but you must remember that the L98's were awesome when they were new...which was 22 years ago!!
Even the LT1's and LT4's (and they are at least 11 years old) were incredibly powerful stock engines in their day.

To say we were somehow cheated when Chevy made these cars so many years ago is being unfair, in my view. I say, "Thank You, GM" for giving so many of us this fantastic, affordable machine.

Larry
code5coupe

:iagree:

No one ever beat my STOCK 1989 L98 automatic in numerous tests, so it was far from an embarrasment to drive.....in its day

Oh my LT4 has done pretty well also....

:cheers:

1quik91 02-27-2007 04:20 PM

Rear spoiler (wing), it's coming off soon.

86VX1 02-27-2007 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by randy814u (Post 1559138022)
I regret the non-pop up headlights I put on. They will be going back to stock.

why do you regret this mod?

danziger 02-27-2007 07:49 PM

I put chrome valve covers on, but it just doesn't look right. Maybe some black composite ones are in my future...
My exhaust is also way too loud, but I'm working on that...

Scott-89 02-27-2007 08:29 PM

True duals to Monza mufflers. Removed the cats and it makes babies cry. It sounds great but it's too loud. If I give it any throttle when taking off, it sounds like I am going 60.

The Trans-Go shift kit is pretty stiff. That helps me not hit it very hard when I take off from a dead stop. :rofl:

The exahuast will be a good fix. I like the shift kit though.

Rikk427 02-27-2007 10:12 PM

How about the Vortec cold air intake that scoops the cold air right off the ground along with water that will hydro lock your $22,000.00 engine package? Oh and then taking it to a shop that has had it for 7 months? Guess the shop doesnt count as a mod though.

Z51JEFF 02-28-2007 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Rikk427 (Post 1559154912)
How about the Vortec cold air intake that scoops the cold air right off the ground along with water that will hydro lock your $22,000.00 engine package? Oh and then taking it to a shop that has had it for 7 months? Guess the shop doesnt count as a mod though.

Yea,but it was fun while it lasted.

Sunstroked 02-28-2007 01:03 AM

I've evaluated the mods I've done and they have all made for a better car for my driving. I never plan on entering into the ncrs events with this car. Different strokes for different folks. The engine mods include the usual, borla cat back, upgrade on the optispark, wires, chip, and air filter about cover it. I did a clutch last summer and kept the original style Dual mass flywheel, Im glad of that. Soon I will be installing new stiffer springs, bilsteins, and poly suspension bushings. My plan with this car is to upgrade with caution. I hope I dont regret the poly, some guys love em, some go back to rubber. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

rickneworleansla 02-28-2007 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Rikk427 (Post 1559154912)

How about some more info on this please? I have the front license ram air and it makes me nervous thinking about water getting in there. I have only heard of one other person, a C5, hydo locking the engine with a ram air intake.

thebeerman 02-28-2007 02:58 PM

Putting another layer of sound insulation (over the factory) on my 92 vert.

Eakster 02-28-2007 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by touringmike (Post 1559147613)
Installing wings on the car.
Remorse beset me almost immediately;

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...e/rearwing.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3.../frontwing.jpg

But, I fired up the grill, and ate them the same day.
:thumbs:

You get as much mileage out of these pics as I do from the wife's Toyota huh ;)

If I'd installed the Hypertech and not the previous owner I would have seriously regretted that.. the only thing I ever noticed was maybe a slight bump in torque around 2k rpm with less power up top and a generally rougher-feeling engine all round. It's an expensive fan-reprogrammer basically. For a manual car already tuned very well, definitely not worth the 400 bucks these things go for anyway.

RandyJ75 02-28-2007 03:27 PM

This is a great thread. I need to replace the exhaust system on my '90 coupe, and have been debating just replacing everything w/ stock parts to headers and true duals. Sometimes I think, just leave it stock, other times, go for it. So I am torn, I don't want to waste money, and I am afraid that if I want to sell the car later, having headers will make it harder to sell.

Sorry if this is a hijack.