CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   2008 ZHZ - The True Tale (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2470262-2008-zhz-the-true-tale.html)

LBear 11-19-2009 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by NORTY (Post 1572173170)
Looks like Hertz is selling the whole Corvette fleet.

They reached their peak mileage for rentals. So Hertz is dumping them. Most the cars have around 35k-60k miles on them. So they want to dump them now as the mileage is getting high and most of the problems are beginning to emerge on the cars.

I would be surprised to see any of those cars get to 75k without major breakdowns (engine, trans, diff).

big_pauly 11-19-2009 01:32 PM

don't ever buy a used corvette...especially from a dealer....my good friend who is a mechanic, told me a story about his friend who rented a corvette and installed some nitrous and took it to the track and made passes all day and then returned it a day later!!! people beat the **** out of them..stick to a new one...

CMY SIX 11-19-2009 01:36 PM

and the point of your post, your in charge of inspecting rental cars or something?

jamesbertero 11-19-2009 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by LBear (Post 1572166797)
I got a good deal on the rental. It was $100 for the day, with unlimited miles.

I put in premium fuel when I returned it but I bet 95% of the people fill it up with regular (87 octane) to save money. :ack:

Originally Posted by DaveC6 (Post 1572165990)
Renting a 2008 ZHZ Corvette for the day . . . . . . . . . . $195

Fuel and food for a day long trip . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $138

Sniffing the power steering fluid before turning it in . . . Priceless

There are some things money can't buy,

for everything else there's MasterCard.

http://media.bigoo.ws/content/gif/ca...artoon_754.gif

big_pauly 11-19-2009 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by CMY SIX (Post 1572179807)
and the point of your post, your in charge of inspecting rental cars or something?

is that directed at me???

CMY SIX 11-19-2009 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by big_pauly (Post 1572179853)
is that directed at me???

NO at the OP, lighten up!

LBear 11-19-2009 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by CMY SIX (Post 1572179807)

What's the point of any post? To discuss topics and issues. :lurk:

big_pauly 11-20-2009 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by CMY SIX (Post 1572179898)
NO at the OP, lighten up!

ok..no problems...you didn't quote the post you replied to and it was just below mine, so I thought you were talking to me...I apologize....I thought since it was my first post..you were taking jabs at me...my fault..I have beem looking at this site for a few months, i just got my 09in june and I love it...i am 38 and finally am able to afford insurance!! so I am hoping to learn a few things from you guys here...seems like a great board...take care....

CMY SIX 11-20-2009 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by LBear (Post 1572184943)
What's the point of any post? To discuss topics and issues. :lurk:

I did'nt know that hertz's maintenance or lack of was an issue, 3 years on the forum I also have not seen throgs of people waiting for a critque of hertz maintenance or lack there of, just seems strange that your losing sleep over hertz's maintenance

LBear 11-20-2009 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by CMY SIX (Post 1572188321)
I did'nt know that hertz's maintenance or lack of was an issue, 3 years on the forum I also have not seen throgs of people waiting for a critque of hertz maintenance or lack there of, just seems strange that your losing sleep over hertz's maintenance

If you don't like the thread/post, then don't participate.
It's a simple concept.

If you don't like the topic, then move on, instead of acting like a troll. :smash:

DaveC6ZHZ 11-20-2009 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Red350GT (Post 1572167009)
Hey guys, future owner here... how can I tell a ZHZ apart from a non-ZHZ? Vin #? I don't want to buy one and find out it was a ZHZ!

Well, let's see -- ZHZs are crap, stupid to buy one, they're all beat, etc. I picked one up cheap with only 18K miles on it, no accidents, lots of tread left on the original runflats; took it to the Corvette Center here for thorough check and dyno tune -- she's tight, fast, unabused. I've had it for a month and I'm getting combined 22.3 mpg. It's my daily driver so what the heck. Get a good one and they're an entry level bargain. In answer to warranty question by another poster, ZHZs are fully covered. I still have 18 mos. on comprehensive. To the poster above who wants to avoid them, go to the C6 Registry on-line; they have a complete list of all 500 ZHZs by VIN. Okay, you guys can start hammerin' me now, but I got NPP, magnetic selective ride, forged chrome wheels, full width rear spoiler, mesh package, crappy vinyl stripes, etc. and paid less than the trade-in market value of a "regular"2008 C6 w/ comparable equipment. Yeah, I know -- I'm stupid, it'll break down, I'll regret it. :nono: Hey, it's still a C6 Vette! :cheers:

Gearhead Jim 11-20-2009 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by DaveC6ZHZ (Post 1572193656)
Well, let's see -- ZHZs are crap, stupid to buy one, they're all beat, etc. I picked one up cheap with only 18K miles on it, no accidents, lots of tread left on the original runflats; took it to the Corvette Center here for thorough check and dyno tune -- she's tight, fast, unabused. I've had it for a month and I'm getting combined 22.3 mpg. It's my daily driver so what the heck. Get a good one and they're an entry level bargain. In answer to warranty question by another poster, ZHZs are fully covered. I still have 18 mos. on comprehensive. To the poster above who wants to avoid them, go to the C6 Registry on-line; they have a complete list of all 500 ZHZs by VIN. Okay, you guys can start hammerin' me now, but I got NPP, magnetic selective ride, forged chrome wheels, full width rear spoiler, mesh package, crappy vinyl stripes, etc. and paid less than the trade-in market value of a "regular"2008 C6 w/ comparable equipment. Yeah, I know -- I'm stupid, it'll break down, I'll regret it. :nono: Hey, it's still a C6 Vette! :cheers:

:thumbs:
If you get one with low miles and good condition, that would be a neat car immediately and a unique car in years to come.

cmonkey713 11-21-2009 04:48 PM

These Hertz cars are RENTALS! that sez it all to me. :eek:

REMIX 11-21-2009 10:25 PM

I guess I'm in the minority here but I feel if you can get one that's in as good of shape as possible, it will likely be worth some coin down the road. With only 500 built, that's not a whole lot of cars.

The old Hertz Mustangs fetch some decent money. I'll bet all of them were abused by renters at one time or another. Just my .02.

RMX

LBear 11-21-2009 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by REMIX (Post 1572201608)
I guess I'm in the minority here but I feel if you can get one that's in as good of shape as possible, it will likely be worth some coin down the road. With only 500 built, that's not a whole lot of cars.

The old Hertz Mustangs fetch some decent money. I'll bet all of them were abused by renters at one time or another. Just my .02.

RMX

It took 40 years before the Hertz Mustang was really worth some money. The worst mistake is buying a car today with the hope that it will be "rare" and worth more money down the road. Buying cars for "investment" purposes is one of the worst mistakes one can make. :nono:

If you can find a ZHZ with less than 20,000 miles, you MIGHT have a decent car. Still questionable, as friends of mine who rented the ZHZ did insane things with it. :willy: Case-in-point, a buddy rented one with 10,000 miles on the odometer. Started it up, cold motor, and did a WOT blast to 90+mph on an ice cold motor and then beat the snot out of it.

A car like that will be bought and is a ticking time bomb. That motor and/or trans will not last.

Most ZHZ's for sale, have over 30,000 miles. Probably equivalent to 150,000 miles of normal driving. :crazy:

vettedoogie 11-21-2009 11:31 PM

Hey, I've been saying that your normal used C6 is just as likely to be beat on as a ZHZ, so good on ya! BTW, what DID you have to pay for it compared to other used C6's?

'06 Quicksilver Z06 11-21-2009 11:45 PM

One man's junk, is another man's treasure. Personally I wouldn't own a used base C6 of any sort, ZHZ or anything else. So I think ya done as good as you possibly could have. It's as good as any other.

Originally Posted by vettedoogie (Post 1572202056)
Hey, I've been saying that your normal used C6 is just as likely to be beat on as a ZHZ, so good on ya! BTW, what DID you have to pay for it compared to other used C6's?

Yep, that's a good point, and why I said what I did above. Many of the base C6s in here, have been so badly beaten, by owners attempting to mod them for power, with every imaginable crap mod, etc, that I wouldn't touch one of them with a ten foot pole.

I can probably find at least 20 base C6s in here which have been beat down, dogged and abused worse than any ZHZs out there that you can find.

LBear 11-21-2009 11:53 PM

To those who can bare to look. :leaving:
Here are some vids of guys with rental ZHZ's beating the cr*p out of them. Some unsuspecting person will buy these cars: :ack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7BGjiNytrQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfDDsGasV4Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPYDYGkgd0s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfDDpAVilT4

:eek:

:leaving:

vettedoogie 11-22-2009 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by LBear (Post 1572202192)
To those who can bare to look. :leaving:
Here are some vids of guys with rental ZHZ's beating the cr*p out of them. Some unsuspecting person will buy these cars: :ack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7BGjiNytrQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfDDsGasV4Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPYDYGkgd0s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfDDpAVilT4

:eek:

:leaving:

Boy if you think #3 is being beat on then every used C6 has been through that. The others are bad but I'm betting a hell of a lot of guys have done this to their's. I haven't, of course.

outbackfarmer 11-22-2009 12:19 AM

Damn, I can smell the rubber burning from here!
I wouldn't buy one of these!