CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Question Regarding 2006 Sitting now with only 800 miles (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2575223-question-regarding-2006-sitting-now-with-only-800-miles.html)

rwpatte 04-18-2010 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by mojoman (Post 1573794315)
If the price is right, BUY IT! The only concern I would have is the gasoline and the oil. Put some techron in the gas tank once or twice, and change your oil. It should be good as new. There should be absolutely no problem with the weatherstrips or the leather or plastic
components. The anti freeze should be fine too. Just baby it for the first few hundred miles. After all, it's a NEW car! Enjoy, you lucky #$%@^&*.:willy:

:iagree:Buy it if price is right.:cheers:

mjslouz06 04-19-2010 11:33 AM

I didn't buy it but the guy sold the car at 53K.... which I think is crazy money.

jamesbertero 04-19-2010 01:27 PM

Whether the "old wive's tale" is true or not, cars are made to be driven to keep things in working order. I would be suspect of seals and gaskets as well, even if they are the "new" technology. I mean, come on, how many times has it actully been up to full operating temperature over almost 5 years? On top of that, the seller seem a little "proud" of his brand new old car:lol: I'd go newer model year even if it had more miles so you could extend the factory warranty. You will be SOL on qualifying an 06' for GMPP by now. Good luck on whatever you choose, as long as it's a Vette!:cheers:

johnodrake 04-19-2010 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by mjslouz06 (Post 1573792930)
Owner claims the car has been stored inside a bubble in a climate controlled garage. I have not made an appt to see the car yet as he wants a mint for it because it only has 847 miles on it. I am still deciding if I should make an appt or get it out of my head and find something with more like 8k miles on it that I know has been driven at least a little.

Sounds like a great find to me. I'd damn sure go look at it.:thumbs:

musclecar6 04-19-2010 01:43 PM

Since the guy "says" he sold it for 53, it's a moot point. Way too high a price for an 06Z.

mjslouz06 04-19-2010 11:04 PM

Some things a just meant to be. I just picked up a 06 LeMans Blue with all the same options as the DSOM no except no Nav. My price? 45k which still might be high, but I was lucky to get as he was getting calls quickly. I by not making a decision and losing out on that one I found one the next day at 8 grand less and not that many more miles.

If all goes right I pick her up Saturday.

ssv3 04-20-2010 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by mjslouz06 (Post 1573814833)
Some things a just meant to be. I just picked up a 06 LeMans Blue with all the same options as the DSOM no except no Nav. My price? 45k which still might be high, but I was lucky to get as he was getting calls quickly. I by not making a decision and losing out on that one I found one the next day at 8 grand less and not that many more miles.

If all goes right I pick her up Saturday.

If that falls through you may want to check this one out

'06 Z with 344mi for 47.5

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

MCSSLT1 04-20-2010 08:22 AM

Seriously guys come on. Everyone saying the gaskets are ruined and that the buyer should be afraid of this car is wrong. Change the oil. Drain the gas if there is a lot of it in there, put in fresh gas. If you want to go that little bit extra drive it 300-500 miles and change the oil again.

The car will be perfectly fine. You gotta remember its an 06 not a 76! I have seen many older cars sit for a lot longer stretch and not have any gasket or leaking problems. If the car was 10+ years old and sat for the last 4 it MAY have a problem.

Walt White Coupe 04-20-2010 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by MCSSLT1 (Post 1573816824)
Seriously guys come on. Everyone saying the gaskets are ruined and that the buyer should be afraid of this car is wrong. Change the oil. Drain the gas if there is a lot of it in there, put in fresh gas. If you want to go that little bit extra drive it 300-500 miles and change the oil again.

The car will be perfectly fine. You gotta remember its an 06 not a 76! I have seen many older cars sit for a lot longer stretch and not have any gasket or leaking problems.

I :iagree: 100%. There are so many unfounded "old wife's tales" about the damage caused by not driving a car and many of them have been stated here. If the car is "mint" and it sounds like it is you should expect to pay a premium for that condition. If the price is right I'd suggest you buy it and ignore the naysayers.

IDSRVIT 04-20-2010 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by VET4LES (Post 1573790733)
I bought a 1959 Mercedes with 30,000 miles on it that sat for 10 years due to an accident. I did some preliminary work, new plugs, wires, hoses, and shot a little oil in each cylinder. It ran great. I drove every day for two years and it didn't burn oil and I had no problems with it. I sold it for more than I paid. :thumbs:

:iagree: We bought my wife's '66 Mustang Convertible GT in 1998 from a guy who had it sitting in a St, Louis car museum for 15 years. The car looked great and ran great. The only issues we had was last year I finally pulled the engine and went through since all the cork gaskets dried out and the car started to leak fluids.

Technology now a days is superior to the olden gaskets and seals so I don't think you'll have an issue. Also, since Chevy uses Mobile 1 your not getting the acid from non-synthetic motor oil over time.

jschindler 04-20-2010 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim (Post 1573793597)
:iagree:

With that few miles and that much sitting around, I'd pay LESS than for a similar car with 8k miles.
We had a 2006 and it was a nice car, but the 2008-2009-2010 cars have improvements that make them more valuable to most folks.

If the owner wants "a mint" for it, I hope he likes looking at it in his garage.

:iagree:

I have three cars and two motorcycles (actually three - one for sale). I can't stand letting any of them go for more than 2-3 weeks without driving them - long enough to fully warm everything up. I know I may be over concerned. I have no doubt that they can sit for even months with out any problems, but I just can't help wanting to be sure that all the internals continue to have a good coating of oil on all the parts.

The real concern I have is that when all the oil drys off the internal parts that condensation forms.

I would not walk away from the car, but nor would I pay a premium over one with 5-8,000 miles, for example. I agree with most of the other advice on this thread.