CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 ZR-1 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-zr-1-discussion-50/)
-   -   ZR1 Twin Turbo (long, project start) (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-zr-1-discussion/262498-zr1-twin-turbo-long-project-start.html)

JaySS 04-10-2002 07:12 PM

Re: ZR1 Twin Turbo (Rkreigh)

Without spending a lot of time belaboring the math - the tensile forces that the rods are subjected to at the 7800 or so RPM's that the LT5 will rev to are far harder on the rods than the additional compressive loads created by even a substantial amount of boost. This is how the Buick gets away with a what most would consider to be a generic rod. Additional cost factors come into play when it comes time to choose between either rebuilding the existing set or to purchase new (especially if the new pistons are of a full floating configuration) but generally speaking - a set factory rods in good condition should take all the punishment that a turbocharger system will give them. Some may argue that a higher quality rod may provide additional insurance in a detonation condition, however, if you are that running that close to the limit, enough adjacent parts (i.e. head gaskets and ring lands) will be failing to let you know it's time to back off a notch.

Just my $.02 worth

- J

Rkreigh 04-11-2002 11:28 PM

Re: ZR1 Twin Turbo (JaySS)

the biggest cost in this project is lowering the compression. if we can turbo the 11.1 tock short block, stay conservative with boost, run alchy for detonation suppresion, the project may be a go. the C5 and import guys are running some pretty insane boost with 10.5 to 11.1 CR and making serious power. I will probably go with the 368 on the jug as my finances aren't ready for high $$ experimentation. but I am lucky enough to have many others with pockets deeper than mine that would like to leverage my turbo expertise to help them. we are looking for serious tuners, pipe guys, and engineers that will help us with doing this without breaking the bank. if I can do it with my buddies 125 K "mule" (still dynos 340 @ wheels!!!), mine is next!!! see norms 9 sec @ 150 runs. even julio is droolin over that one, and the bottle doesn't run out!!! by starting with some low budget GN buick turbos (give away prices, flow enough for 450 hp or more each), using stock manifolds, and doing some innovative intercooling, with a stock short block, we hope to get to 700-800 hp with the factory reliability. I think the block, crank, and rods will live at that power level which is about all we can hope to hook up anyway.

any thoughts??? might sound crazee, but I'm not dreading the insanity, I enjoy every minute!!! :yesnod: :lol: :crazy:

xsmph 04-12-2002 02:48 PM

Re: ZR1 Twin Turbo (Rkreigh)

see norms 9 sec @ 150 runs. even julio is droolin over that one, and the bottle doesn't run out!!!
======================================== ==========
Damn right!!! I'm drooling.... that is a very exclusive club... The 150 mph club!!!

If I had the money that is the car I would want. No matter the price of admission, that is one bad mother!!my only consolation is that for under $17000 I can be in the high 140's trap speeds, of course i must keep the bottle full and the pressure up... and it does run out
:cry

xsmph 04-12-2002 02:56 PM

Re: ZR1 Twin Turbo (xsmph)

to get in the 140's traps it takes creativity and a few bucks!

To be in the 150's you need the right people to do the work and lots of $$$
no tow ways around it!

At least that is the way I see it!