CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   What new Corvette is going to be built @ BG's new line? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2828987-what-new-corvette-is-going-to-be-built-bgs-new-line.html)

vettedoogie 05-04-2011 11:48 AM

Damn..no details on the C7 or anything.

More news from GM next week...we'll just have to wait and see.

Gearhead Jim 05-04-2011 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6 (Post 1577519478)
weren't the Saturn Skye and the Pontiac Solstice based on the same platform ?
I thought both of those roadsters were appealing for their segment...

but maybe both were overpriced since neither sold all that well ?

Back when they first came out, all the road tests I saw said the Miata was a much better car in every respect.

I like the Skye/Solstice concept, but those two particular examples should be allowed to RIP.

speedlink 05-04-2011 03:17 PM

I'm guessing some derivative of Cadillac.

not08crmanymore 05-04-2011 03:25 PM

The plant in Bowling Green is scheduled to continue building the current generation Corvette for at least the next two model years, including the 2012 model year that begins this summer.
email I got.

Z06Ronald 05-04-2011 06:47 PM

GM North America President Mark Reuss Announces C7 Corvette to be Built in Bowling Green

:)

Eritosthenes 05-04-2011 07:34 PM

If Carroll Shelby was 30 years younger, he might just take that baby Vette, yank the V6, and stuff an LS9 in its place. COWABUNGA!! :rock:

JoesC5 05-04-2011 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Eritosthenes (Post 1577526770)
If Carroll Shelby was 30 years younger, he might just take that baby Vette, yank the V6, and stuff an LS9 in its place. COWABUNGA!! :rock:

Within a year of it being released, the Solstice was available through selected Pontiac dealers with a LS2 or a LS7(up to 900 HP). The work was done by Mallet. The complete driveline was beefed to handle it. They just didn't stuff the V8 in, and call it a day.

http://www.mallettcars.com/solstice-conversion.htm

Glen220 05-04-2011 09:32 PM

The important part of the press release is the Corvette will continue.

As for what else is made there is anyone's guess. They did make the Cadillac XLR there which shared the same running gear as the Corvette and it makes sense to share as many components as is possible when building in the same assembly plant. But they could build something entirely different that doesn't share so many components.

We can guess all we want, but until there is a press release we won't know. It does make sense to use the available space for something that will make money for GM, especially when the Corvette is such a low volume car. Maybe they will move the next generation Camaro there.

Just a thought.

JoesC5 05-04-2011 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by HOXXOH (Post 1577519692)
The Sky/Soltice were built in the same NJ plant. If GM, who looked and didn't find a buyer, wanted to revive those cars it would be there and not in KY.

It certainly makes no sense to build a Corvette sibling/competitor with the present sales so low.

Switching the location of a current model is not a financially sound move either.

The only thing left, and the logic follows, is to build a new model of a car that is yet to be introduced. This is not happening in the Corvette building, but in a whole new facility. My guess is they're preparing to ramp up something similar to the Volt.

Actually, the Solstice, Sky and the Opel GT were made in GM's Wilmington, Delaware plant. That plant was sold to Fisker Automotive for 20 million when GM closed the plant, so GM couldn't start the plant back up if it wanted to. They don't own it anymore. Besides, the Delaware plant was much more modern then the Bowling Green plant so it would have made more sense to move the Corvette production to the Delaware plant, if GM had not been up against the ropes last year.

Bluewasp 05-04-2011 09:47 PM

GM plans on building more car components in-house vs outsourcing. The new line in the xlr area will be use to do this.

Zoomin 05-04-2011 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bluewasp (Post 1577528092)
GM plans on building more car components in-house vs outsourcing. The new line in the xlr area will be use to do this.

That's what I heard too - primarily the chassis.

TBIRD57 05-05-2011 01:29 AM

hey porsche did it

Originally Posted by vettedoogie (Post 1577519177)
I'm guessing it will be a redo of the Saturn Skye under the Corvette banner with a TT Six or a small V8. Coupe and convertible.

boxster/cayman, threw in an suv and a sedan too.