CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Oiled air filters (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3007543-oiled-air-filters.html)

MikeyTX 02-25-2012 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by marc8090 (Post 1580105991)
And you know it breathes better how?

Must be ............... He has it pulled down over his head :willy::rofl::woohoo:

MikeyTX 02-25-2012 11:34 PM

Which reminds me ..........

I think it's time for a thread on which oil filler spout out flows the others ............... Jus say'n ................. :D

TMyers 02-26-2012 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe (Post 1580110695)
If there is reduced filtration with oiled filters is one debate, the other would be even if there is, does that reduction actually harm the engine.

Reduced air filtration performance with oiled filters is a given to anyone with any technical knowledge about filter design. So that leaves most people here out of the discussion.

Think about it. Auto manufacturers had air filters way before they had oil filters. I wonder why?

Actually Walt GM did have Oil Bath Filters back in the 50's.

HOXXOH 02-26-2012 12:39 AM

There are a couple of engine oil threads currently running, but no thread on which oil to use for re-oiling air filters.

So what's the concensus for the best oil for air filters.

I used to use WD-40 because I liked the pleasant aroma, but maybe that wasn't the best choice for my MAF. It certainly didn't taste as good as the anti-oxident omega 3 fish oil or EVOO.

MikeyTX 02-26-2012 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by TMyers (Post 1580114885)

Omg ............ I remember those :willy: Just dated myself didn't I ? :rofl:

MikeyTX 02-26-2012 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by HOXXOH (Post 1580114988)
There are a couple of engine oil threads currently running, but no thread on which oil to use for re-oiling air filters.

I used to use WD-40 because I liked the pleasant aroma, but maybe that wasn't the best choice for my MAF. It certainly didn't taste as good as the anti-oxident omega 3 fish oil or EVOO.

You're kidding right ? :toetap:

Walt White Coupe 02-26-2012 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by TMyers (Post 1580114885)

You obviously missed the point.

ZRCLONE 02-26-2012 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by JoesC5 (Post 1580111624)
Other then the Donaldson filter used on the newer corvettes that I beleive is only available through GM***, all the cars/trucks GM has produced has a paper filter. I suggest you go to the dozens of auto parts stores in your town and look at the many different manufacturers of paper filters and then come back and say GM is making tons of money by having paper filter on their cars/trucks. The only people that GM sells replacement paper filters to are the folks that take their GM product to their dealer for servicing.

You had better check all the garages, auto parts stores, fast lube joints, walmart, etc that sell paper filters and then you will see that GM has an extremely low percentage of the replacement paper filter market.

There is no way an intelligent person can make the claim that the reason GM uses a paper filter is so they can capture the replacement paper filter market, excluding everyone else except those that sell oiled cotton gauze filters.

The marketplace says that idea is BS.

***-the Donaldson filter used in the newer Corvettes is good for 50,000 miles. Now take the low number of Corvettes built with the Donaldson filter, and you will see that GM isn't making a fist full of dollars selling replacement Donaldson PowerCore filters. Most C6 owners will only purchase one Donaldson filter in the time they own their C6, and many will never purchase a new Donaldson filter as they will never come close to putting 50,000 miles on their C6.

Sorry I thought this was Corvette related, I doubt most die hard Corvette people would have much other than a GM product on there car. They will not be taking there car to just any garage for service, so no $hit there are a million paper filters out there. Maintenance intervals are also related to conditions, I personally would not have any filter untouched on my car for 50k.
I was merely pointing out any aftermarket company can use any filter they want and there must be some reason they all use a re-usable filter, that's all.

I have a Vararam on my car by choice. The filter they use is not my choice. I maintain my car impeccably and don't see a problem here. Or anyone else who chooses to change the intake on their car.

Maybe it's time a manufacturer such as Vararam, chimes in and says why they choose to use this type of filter.

You are right, GM knows most people are not smart enough to maintain there own vehicle. So obviously paper would be the filter of choice.
But don't insult my or anyone else's "intelligence" with your "my way or the highway" attitude, I could care less you think you have all the answers. :flag:

SilvrVette 02-26-2012 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by sledmaster (Post 1580100732)
Even if you are using the stock paper filter you still will get better throttle response when you clean the sensor every once and a while with CRC Mass Air Cleaner. I have used it for years.

I haven't done this yet. Adding it to my do-list. I take it you first remove tha MAS?

" There are no dumb questions - but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots " :D

Cherokee Nation 02-26-2012 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by MikeyTX (Post 1580115711)
Omg ............ I remember those :willy: Just dated myself didn't I ? :rofl:

I remember those on one of my cars,there was a large can full of OIL that you put a round filter in.

JoesC5 02-26-2012 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by ZRCLONE (Post 1580116318)
Sorry I thought this was Corvette related, I doubt most die hard Corvette people would have much other than a GM product on there car. They will not be taking there car to just any garage for service, so no $hit there are a million paper filters out there. Maintenance intervals are also related to conditions, I personally would not have any filter untouched on my car for 50k.
I was merely pointing out any aftermarket company can use any filter they want and there must be some reason they all use a re-usable filter, that's all.

I have a Vararam on my car by choice. The filter they use is not my choice. I maintain my car impeccably and don't see a problem here. Or anyone else who chooses to change the intake on their car.

Maybe it's time a manufacturer such as Vararam, chimes in and says why they choose to use this type of filter.

You are right, GM knows most people are not smart enough to maintain there own vehicle. So obviously paper would be the filter of choice.
But don't insult my or anyone else's "intelligence" with your "my way or the highway" attitude, I could care less you think you have all the answers. :flag:

You made the statement..."If GM used a filter you could clean yourself think how much money they would loose in sales."

I just pointed out that the reason GM isn't using oiled cotton gauze filters is because their Delco paper filter is superior to an oiled cotton gauze filter. GM doesn't have the replacement filter locked in, as the aftermarket has plenty of paper filters for sale.
You made the argument that GM equips their products with paper filters to force their customers to return to a GM dealer to procure a replacement filter. That's BS, and it's also against the law..
If you wanted to keep the topic pure Corvette, then you should have said "If GM used a filter you could clean yourself in the Corvette think how much money they would loose(sp) in sales". GM is more then the Corvette.

But, I'm really, really glad you are capable of reading K&N's website and relay that info about the car manufactures using paper filters to force the customer to return to the dealer for a replacement, in order to make more money.

AORoads 02-26-2012 02:07 PM

from what I've seen, there seems to be little difference from one oil to the other. but, there could be. for that reason, if you're using a particular brand of oiled air filter and if they have a kit including oil and cleaner, I'd use it.

rmp 02-26-2012 02:43 PM

Callaway CAI

uses a K&N filter and I haven't heard of any problems and they guarantee their products.

slamminc6 02-26-2012 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by MikeyTX (Post 1580114682)
Must be ............... He has it pulled down over his head :willy::rofl::woohoo:

Wow, guess when you become a lifetime gold member you get to make as$&ole remarks like that. Did not try to push my opinion on anyone, all I said was I always used em and never had any issues.

MikeyTX 02-26-2012 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by slamminc6 (Post 1580119313)
Wow, guess when you become a lifetime gold member you get to make as$&ole remarks like that. Did not try to push my opinion on anyone, all I said was I always used em and never had any issues.

Someone wizzed in your cereal this morning? The comment was made tongue in cheek. And, in response to marc8090's question, "And you know it breathes better how?" Show us the proof ! :toetap:

HOXXOH 02-26-2012 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by AORoads (Post 1580118685)
from what I've seen, there seems to be little difference from one oil to the other. but, there could be. for that reason, if you're using a particular brand of oiled air filter and if they have a kit including oil and cleaner, I'd use it.

OMG. It was a joke. I hope you didn't think I use any oils on my car because they smell or taste good. :rofl:

EVOO is Extra Virgin Olive Oil and it's used for cooking.

fnsblum 02-27-2012 12:52 AM

We had this same topic that seemed to run forever on the Diesel Place forum about 7 or 8 years ago. One of the members had the expensive equipment necessary to test air filters. He tested all the popular brands that were available for the Duramax both wet and dry. He tested flow with all different micron sized particles. We wanted to know which filter did what a filter was suppose to do, filter out particulates. As best I can remember the top three were paper/fiber. The Delco was #1. Imagine that. I was using an Amsoil oiled at the time. I threw it in the can and reinstalled my OEM. At least on my Duramax the filter would flow twice the CFM when new of what the engine could use. Later! Frank :cheers:

MikeyTX 02-27-2012 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by fnsblum (Post 1580123740)
We had this same topic that seemed to run forever on the Diesel Place forum about 7 or 8 years ago. One of the members had the expensive equipment necessary to test air filters. He tested all the popular brands that were available for the Duramax both wet and dry. He tested flow with all different micron sized particles. We wanted to know which filter did what a filter was suppose to do, filter out particulates. As best I can remember the top three were paper/fiber. The Delco was #1. Imagine that. I was using an Amsoil oiled at the time. I threw it in the can and reinstalled my OEM. At least on my Duramax the filter would flow twice the CFM when new of what the engine could use. Later! Frank :cheers:

Why am I not surprised ....... Ever look at the dyno charts on the K&N web site ? All the HP/torque comes on only in the extreme upper rpm ranges. Sorry, I don't drive wot on the streets.