CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Anyone else feel the HUD is kind of a waste on this car (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3311881-anyone-else-feel-the-hud-is-kind-of-a-waste-on-this-car.html)

2K3Z06 07-26-2013 04:00 PM

Could live without it. Gimmick. I always use the analog gauges, easier to read quickly. Plus in the summer sun, the HUD can be difficult to see sometimes.

The HUD tach function is to hard to see, ok for MPH readout.

RocketGuy3 07-26-2013 04:08 PM

HUD for speed readouts is very useful IMO.

Bill Dearborn 07-26-2013 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by BMadden (Post 1584504494)
Exactly. I feel HUD is unnecessary, but to each their own.

Ever since I purchased my first C5 in May of 97 I have felt the gauges are almost non readable. Even my track videos taken inside the car show they are almost always in the shadow. I display oil temp on the DIC, oil pressure on the HUD and don't pay all that much attention to coolant temp. It takes a finite time for your eyes to adjust from looking at things a long way down the track to focusing them on something about two ft from your face. As you get older the time it takes to refocus going either way gets longer. There is no such thing as a quick glance at the gauges when they are analog, hard to decipher and in a stark shadow. With the race seats in the car I sit low enough that I pretty much look through the HUD like a fighter pilot does. Display isn't quite in focus but close enough to be readable. Would be nice if they made the HUD the same way they made an aircraft HUD so you have to focus at infinity to read it. That would make for a lot better drivers.

Bill

petervetter 07-26-2013 05:46 PM

remember--a bunch of here are old and we have presbyopia (it means we can't see s---t up close without our readers). looking down the road and having to refocus on the dash takes a split second-- that is one split second that might save your life if something real bad happens. I think HUD is the bomb and should be required on all cars....

rgamache 07-26-2013 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by matthewelle (Post 1584504961)
Until you start driving with it, and then you get hooked on it.
But GPS would be an awesome addition, but try it for a while before rejecting it.

If anything it keeps me much more honest with speed limits. Also what is great about it you always know where you are in acceleration. You can easily go beyond your intended target between gauge cluster glance downs.

Bottom line: You keep your eyes on the road your hands upon the wheel and speedometer displayed before you. Works for me.

:iagree: Additionally I found the HUD tach very useful on my 13 M6 getting back into driving stick after many years of auto. Quickly learned where the proper rev matching points were. :thumbs:

andyoi 07-26-2013 06:06 PM

I thought I couldn't live without HUD before buying my C6. Now I realize I hardly ever look at it, and if I do it's only to look at the GForce which isn't available on the dash otherwise.

Johnny@MTI 07-26-2013 06:08 PM

i like the HUD but.... that g gauge is going to kill me one day.

jdhommert 07-26-2013 06:23 PM

Love the HUD, won't own another Corvette without it.

GM, if you are listening, start offering it on other new cars.

CaryBob 07-26-2013 06:28 PM

I wouldn't buy the car without a HUD. Especially a car that encourages speeding. I have this crazy idea that keeping my eyes on the road is a good thing, especially in a race or on a crowded Interstate in the rain. Quaint, I know.

MikeyTX 07-26-2013 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Johnny@MTI (Post 1584511256)
i like the HUD but.... that g gauge is going to kill me one day.

Switch to lite beer ................ :rofl::D

gorilla1969 07-26-2013 07:11 PM

Luv the HUD. Had it first in my 2000 Pontiac Bonnie SSEi and have always had a car with HUD since then...quick, basic info without taking your eyes off the road.

~Stingray 07-27-2013 08:40 AM

I wish my car had it. My gf has a GTP and her HUD is MPH only. I love it! Especially since I have grown comfortable with driving with my steering hand at the top of the wheel...it blocks my view of the speedometer a lot. The HUD is always visible.

JerriVette 07-27-2013 08:41 AM

The HUD is not something that will move me to an 2LT...if it can be added later on a c7 1LT that will be the route ill take...if not..not a big loss...

I did the same on my c6 and its worth the $600 I paid to have it installed but that's about it.

Bill17601 07-27-2013 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by matthewelle (Post 1584504961)
Until you start driving with it, and then you get hooked on it.
But GPS would be an awesome addition, but try it for a while before rejecting it.

If anything it keeps me much more honest with speed limits. Also what is great about it you always know where you are in acceleration. You can easily go beyond your intended target between gauge cluster glance downs.

Bottom line: You keep your eyes on the road your hands upon the wheel and speedometer displayed before you. Works for me.

:iagree: works for me too. I miss it when I am driving my other cars. I have move my head down and up and refocus rather then just refocus..

JerriVette 07-27-2013 09:17 AM

$57,795 is my target price ...z51 MRC and NPP.....maybe 59,795 if I'm digging the competition seats..

HUD can wait.

I tend to pay cash unless interest rates stay at historically low rates...

It's free money

lottavettes 07-27-2013 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by rmarks (Post 1584505027)
I had HUD on my C5 - loved it.

I do not have it on my C6, I miss it, but not a biggie, turns out I can live without it. Price is the factor for me on this option

It comes automatically/included with the 2LT and up this year. Only a price factor with 1LT.

LIE2ME 07-27-2013 11:41 AM

I for one believe the HUD should be standard equipment for all cars. It is an outstanding piece of safety hardware...:yesnod:

OnPoint 07-27-2013 12:05 PM

I like the HUD, and given improvements to it, it should be even more useful.

Larry/car 07-27-2013 06:47 PM

I like it. Yes you can live without it, but why would you want to?

TX-OU812 10-09-2013 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Zymurgy (Post 1584504029)
Absolutely not. I love being able to quickly get info without looking away from the road. Plus, the C7 HUD will be much improved over the C6 HUD.

:iagree: