CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   My Z51 tires have Cracks all over (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3433911-my-z51-tires-have-cracks-all-over.html)

LIStingray 03-11-2014 06:28 PM

I am thinking with all of these Z51 tire cracking issues, Michelin will modify the tires to the formulation of the Base cars tires (which don't seem to have the issue) very soon; or quadruple the price so they can absorb the cost of all the warranty claims.

AORoads 03-11-2014 06:49 PM

Has anyone criticized Michelin, similar to the way Goodyear's been, or is this tire issue a "Corvette" problem? :D

C8Jake 03-11-2014 06:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
There's a report on another forum reporting cracked tires on a few C7's at at a dealer in Florida. Been rockin' mine in severe snow/cold for a while, no cracks to report. I have a heated garage floor.

themonk 03-11-2014 07:01 PM

Jake, you should post a pic of your car.........oh wait a minute, never mind.

Mecholova 03-11-2014 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by themonk (Post 1586379790)

Haha
I'm so sick of looking at his cars ass, I feel like I'm married to it

C8Jake 03-11-2014 07:12 PM

Achmed should chime in soon.
#1. Why even accept delivery with cracked tires? :crazy:
#2. Are your tires in yet? :rofl:
#3. Does anyone in Alberta actually drive their cars?

Achmed 03-11-2014 07:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by themonk (Post 1586379790)

lmfao, this guy is pure comedy, maybe we should all start doing it in our posts too

Stingray Al 03-11-2014 07:46 PM

Did GM replace anyones tires due to cracks under warranty??????

Achmed 03-11-2014 07:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by C7Jake (Post 1586379883)
Achmed should chime in soon.
#1. Why even accept delivery with cracked tires? :crazy:
#2. Are your tires in yet? :rofl:
#3. Does anyone in Alberta actually drive their cars?

1) Because I'd rather store my car in MY garage where I can see it, show others, take pics, take my time and learn the various features, etc. than in a dealership where others are touching it, sitting in it, etc.

2) Lol, not sure, but not too concerned either. It's not the end of the world to me if the day I can drive my C7 is delayed by a bit. Patience, my friend.

3) A friend in my city drives his Gallardo year-round, yesterday we went to a Joey's and a Ferrari 360 and Aston Martin DB9 were also parked there. But to be honest I haven't seen a single C7 yet on the roads here, and if there is one I would imagine the buyer bought a separate set of tires to winter drive it.

Achmed 03-11-2014 07:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Stingray Al (Post 1586380201)
Did GM replace anyones tires due to cracks under warranty??????

Mine are waiting to be replaced - I'll let you know as soon as it happens or when I have a date set.

Regardless even if they were replaced today I would not drive it for a bit longer due to the weather...which caused the cracks in the first place.

Aerohead 03-11-2014 10:22 PM

GM is replacing mine.... dealer says they will be here on Friday. I'll believe it when I see them, however.

Achmed 03-11-2014 11:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Aerohead (Post 1586381575)
GM is replacing mine.... dealer says they will be here on Friday. I'll believe it when I see them, however.

Interesting, whereabouts are you located? Just curious if you're near me then it might mean I can expect mine soon too.

themonk 03-11-2014 11:55 PM

:rofl:

You didn't know he changed his handle Achmed?

LT1xL82 03-11-2014 11:57 PM

It sure seems tire technology has been pushed so far in the name of warm weather performance that some of these tires are of questionable practicality...especially in the snow belt.

As it now stands, Z51 and future Z06 tires should not be used below about 40F or stored below about 20F. In my upstate New York this means bringing my tires inside the house/basement 4-6 months of the year. What a hassle.

C8Jake 03-12-2014 12:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by LT1xL82 (Post 1586382264)
In upstate New York this means bringing my tires inside the house/basement 4-6 months of the year. What a hassle.

Tires are okay in the garage, just don't move it below 20F
3/4" rubber pads isolate tires from the floor.

Aerohead 03-12-2014 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Achmed (Post 1586382134)
Interesting, whereabouts are you located? Just curious if you're near me then it might mean I can expect mine soon too.

I'm in central Minnesota, near the Twin Cities. Dealer spoke to district rep and says tires should be here by this weekend.... They saw first it last Saturday.

trivette 03-12-2014 12:16 PM

Aerohead-did you actually take delivery of your car that way or is it still at the dealer waiting for the new tires before you do? Mine has been in my heated garage since early November and I haven't looked at them yet but will tonight. That's really a hassle for a brand new car to get the dismount/mount/pressure sensor calibration all done with the potential for scratching the rims depending on who does it. This could lead to a recall or at least an inspection of all of them, I would imagine, despite the cautions that have been listed up front. I haven't seen anything in the mags on this but they test in warm weather. Wouldn't this issue have shown up in the cold weather testing of the pre-production cars? I would think there would have been a couple with Z51 spec tires included for evaluation. As another post mentioned, they may have taken the factory performance tires for street cars a bit too far. At least for those of us in the middle states.

Dan12 03-12-2014 12:43 PM

If the tires are being replace, what are they being replaced with? Same brand?

Was this tire designed specifically for the C7? If so will this continue until they change the tire formula?

KenHorse 03-12-2014 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dan12 (Post 1586385603)
If the tires are being replace, what are they being replaced with? Same brand?

Was this tire designed specifically for the C7? If so will this continue until they change the tire formula?

My understanding is that GM essentially opened up tire trials to several manufacturers and Michelin won the contract. No idea if Michelin specifically designed 'em for the C7 or not however..

WesC7 03-12-2014 01:10 PM

Not starting a "war of words"... I understand "most" people drive their Vettes in warm/hot weather. Not a year round car...

And...we can always go buy another set of all-seasons ($1,000)....but....already paying North of $60k and if we want to drive the car below 40 degrees we should do the following?

"Summer tires should be stored indoors at temperatures above 20°F (-7°C) when not in use. If the tires have been subjected to 20°F (-7°C) or less, let them warm up in a heated space to at least 40°F (5°C) for 24 hours or more before being installed or driving a vehicle on which they have been installed."

Really?? IMO, not very functional. It would be nice if GM would put some all-season Michelin's on them instead. But doubt that is going to happen.