CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   How do you drive your vette? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3558288-how-do-you-drive-your-vette.html)

wrh3 11-06-2014 10:38 AM

I drive it like any other car I have ever owned- like it was meant to be. I keep it clean and maintained and ALWAYS let the oil temp come up before driving it hard.....it gets me to the airport and home during the week, sees some aggressive mountain drives on the weekends, and once I have a rollbar installed may even see some track time.

lebvette 11-06-2014 11:38 AM

A Z with a cam. Can't really do anything on the street without attracting a lot of attention. Too fast too quick...gets a little dangerous.

For the guys posting the video's.....sounds great! I'm going to have to do that.

Bill Dearborn 11-06-2014 12:12 PM

On the streets and highways I get the car into the higher gears as soon as possible. I shift from 1 to 2 somewhere between 10 and 14 mph, 2 to 3 before 20 and into 4th before 30. Into 5th around 35 and into 6th around 46. Car has plenty of pep when running in traffic, I get pretty reasonable gas mileage and the car makes a nice cruiser.

On the track I am in 3rd or 4th gear (sometimes 2nd) all the way to 6500 rpm or higher. There is no point in shifting to 5th on medium long straights since the big ratio gap between 4th and 5th slows acceleration to 160 (rev limited speed in 4th) especially if you are going to nail the brakes a split second later.

On Interstates where you have the long lines of idiots that hog the left lane it makes for a great car to pull to the right and blast by in 6th gear. I can pass 5 or 6 cars and pull back into the left lane between two cars before they know I am there. That stops them from trying to close the space. I can't do that with my 4 cylinder Malibu. It doesn't accelerate fast enough to get to the open spot before being seen.

Bill

Boomer111 11-06-2014 12:22 PM

Enough to have fun.

With me the car always looking good and crusing is enough.

The MN6 with 4:10 differential adds to the fun.

Nosferatu 11-06-2014 12:50 PM

oh I might add...thank goodness for NPP. Car is so loud with the supercharger usually whenever I get on it I'll typically get a K or Ka band pop up on the radar. It's as if a cop somewhere in the distance goes...hey I hear something loud let's see what pops up :rolleyes: :lol:

Closing the valves to muffle the exhaust and car is pretty quiet from the back. From the sides and front it just sounds like a loud woosh of air. Helps keep the popo's out of sight. :willy:

Vettereturned 11-06-2014 01:28 PM

Seems my driving style has become much more 'spirited' and 'fun' this week as my GYs' are worn to the wear marks and have a scheduled appointment next week to install my Bridgestones.

piper_chuck 11-06-2014 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Vettereturned (Post 1588204909)
Seems my driving style has become much more 'spirited' and 'fun' this week as my GYs' are worn to the wear marks and have a scheduled appointment next week to install my Bridgestones.

I'm waiting for this to happen with my car. One of my co-workers wanted me to smoke the tires in the parking lot right after I had bought it. I told him I was waiting until it was time to buy new tires.

rmarks 11-06-2014 04:37 PM

Around town, I start slow, usually a 1-3 shift. Then from 25mph, to 50 I rev it a little. Unless there is some interesting car near me.

On interstate, I usually goose it a bit. But final speed is 14 over.

But, the other day, big traffic tie up on the 15. Got to accident spot and there were a ton of cop cars all flashing letting one car at a time through. After this is was up and over a hill. They couldn't see me. I figure all the Smokies were at the accident so I got a good 130mp cruise for a few miles on an almost empty road till the next entrance.

su8pack1 11-06-2014 04:43 PM

I drive it to enjoy it.

Mr.Nubain 11-06-2014 04:46 PM

I drive the speed limit most of the time. Some times a little faster depending on the environment. I had a little fun this past weekend. Now it's away for the winter. I do baby the car because it's special to me. I never thought I'd own another one, so I respect it like it would be my last one.

raspyc6 11-06-2014 05:15 PM

It depends. Most of the time I am relaxed and laid back as mine is a DD. When and if an opportunity presents itself to purge the devil I usually do so.

jnguyenn16 11-06-2014 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by piper_chuck (Post 1588203681)
Thanks, the .9 gives me something to aim for. :thumbs:

I was able to pull 1.03 g's around a tight corner onto a wide road easily 6 lanes and always empty. Car never lost traction either! Although it was on fresh rubber and with 1 degree of negative camber :thumbs:

Stephen Fiorino 11-06-2014 05:42 PM

I love the car. Probably my last Corvette, but at age 69, who knows. I drive it with respect, I do not beat it, but have been know to get it up to 90-100 once a year at a Corvette rally where everyone caravans for 20 miles to the venue. But that is the only time. I will not track it. I look forward to the days that the weather is clear, no rain, etc, so I can drive it.

piper_chuck 11-06-2014 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by jnguyenn16 (Post 1588206718)
I was able to pull 1.03 g's around a tight corner onto a wide road easily 6 lanes and always empty. Car never lost traction either! Although it was on fresh rubber and with 1 degree of negative camber :thumbs:

Bar just got raised.

Stephen Fiorino 11-06-2014 05:52 PM

Car driven

Originally Posted by 69 L46 4 Speed (Post 1588202463)
I drive reasonably and safely in traffic. If I am at the head of the line at a light I do get up to the speed limit faster than anybody else!! On the interstate I usually drive 5 - 7 over. I did do 120 on I-80 back in September. I do like to carve corners. We did the Tail of the Dragon in October. Bought the car new in January and in less than a year we have over 12,000 miles on it.

I love your car. Can I make a suggestion to get a better license plate holder. I have one that has a bracket in the grille and the license plate is on the male part which I can plug in and show the plate and when I do not want the plate on the car, I pull it out and keep it in the car.mi am In NJ and it requires Two plates but I never put it on the front. This car was made with no license plate brackets, so no plate on mine. Have not got stopped in 4 years. I have a C-6.

Red08 11-06-2014 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by RDG5500 (Post 1588201118)
Five over the limited.........unless every one is driving faster :D

:iagree: Sometimes on winding back roads I like to go a little faster and enjoy how it hugs the road on the curves.

sdk 11-06-2014 08:12 PM

I drive it with a smile on my face!!

tuboy19 11-06-2014 10:25 PM

I don't always drive fast... but when I do, it's in triple digits.

R50THC5 11-06-2014 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by ATC399 (Post 1588200132)
Hmmmn...Day time when I can see whats around me...like I stole it...after sunset like the old man I am in the right lane...

:iagree:..another Me...Glad to see this

JoesC5 11-07-2014 08:56 AM

Depends on the situation. Normal driving and I drive it no different than my Mercedes 4 door sedan(most of the time). When I'm in the twisties, I like to push it towards it limits(occasionally). When I'm in Mexico, I like to ring it out(very seldom).