CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Oil change drain bolt stuck! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3684749-oil-change-drain-bolt-stuck.html)

Don-Vette 07-21-2015 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by reasonable suspicion (Post 1590097497)
Upside down bolts, clockwise to remove when looking from above.

Don't confuse the man! !! Lol....Looking at the head of any bolt that has a right hand thread. You turn it to the left (counter clockwise) to loosen,regardless.

billyboy47 07-21-2015 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Don-Vette (Post 1590097716)
Don't confuse the man! !! Lol....Looking at the head of any bolt that has a right hand thread. You turn it to the left (counter clockwise) to loosen,regardless.

I was thinking the same thoughts.:D

ZR1Cat 07-21-2015 01:47 PM

Whoa, the solutions to this calamity are up to three pages?! :hat

I'd have my air powered impact gun with a quality impact socket on that puppy by now. It would be begging for mercy. :D

OP, best wishes on getting that bolt out of there...without collateral damage.

Don-Vette 07-21-2015 02:15 PM

Come to think of it,where is the OP?

billyboy47 07-21-2015 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Don-Vette (Post 1590098504)
Come to think of it,where is the OP?

got so tired of trying to get the plug off, he fell asleep under the car.:lol:

Kent1999 07-21-2015 03:00 PM

I think I'd try applying some heat to the pan immediately surrounding the bolt. My guess is that the plug was installed with an impact wrench -- or perhaps with some thread locking agent "just to be safe".

I'd also have a "plan B", as that bolt/bolt hole is most likely going to be heavily damaged after removal -- ESPECIALLY if you're busting sockets on it already. At the very least, have a new drain plug on hand, but I think its more likely the bolt hole in the pan will be damaged. Maybe a Helicoil kit to repair it if needed? (assuming the OP is up to the task of doing that kind of repair)

If I were not mechanically inclined, I'd be tempted to take this to a dealer or other shop at this point, given the high likelyhood of damage -- at least there would not be the charge of the flatbed ride to the shop once the plug is removed, and it turns out it cannot go back in and needs repair.

HBsurfer 07-21-2015 03:09 PM

At this point the chance of the OP having damaged threads on the pan are pretty high. I agree with Kent. Probably best to take it to a pro now while he can still drive it. Getting stuck at home with an empty oil pan and no way to plug the drain would be an added mess. Drive it to a shop (not a quickly oil change place) so if there is damage, they can repair it.

Don-Vette 07-21-2015 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by billyboy47 (Post 1590098525)
got so tired of trying to get the plug off, he fell asleep under the car.:lol:

LMAO! :lol:

Eric ray 07-21-2015 04:07 PM

Impact wrench.

ttboost1 07-21-2015 05:53 PM

The correct oil drain bolt torque is 18 ft lbs. If it is on so tight that you cant get it off the aluminum pan threads are probably toast...

GotVett? 07-21-2015 09:17 PM

That's too bad. Never had a problem with mine over my 8 1/2 yrs. And if by chance it is being turned the wrong way, possible damage that he was trying to avoid! Nonetheless, hope the OP gets it off without any damage.

duramaxsky 07-22-2015 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Patsgarage (Post 1590097327)
Flame suit on, but I have done hundreds of oil changes in my life and have never torqued a drain plug. Never had an issue either, from a 300k+ engine to a 50+ year old one. The torque wrench comes out for heads, intake, bearings, etc, but the drain plug seems like overkill to me. Then again some people here wax the undercarrige of their cars.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::iagree:

duramaxsky 07-22-2015 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Don-Vette (Post 1590095973)
Its my common practice to spray penetrating oil on any bolt that is stuck.

OK but in this case what would it do for you? It will not penetrate the gasket. My first step is a torch. A small amount of heat correctly applied is instant. Oil takes time if it even works. :cheers:

Pilgrim86314 07-22-2015 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by mikeCsix (Post 1590090549)
OP, you may want to thoroughly warm up the engine before attempting to loosen the drain plug with anything more than a socket wrench. By warm, I mean 200 degree warm. There are dissimilar metals, the aluminum will expand more than the steel drain plug. then I would consider a breaker bar.

:iagree:
Use a judicious application heat before applying muscle and leverage. As someone noted, they are dissimilar metals and heat applied to the oil pan around the bolt will cause it to expand and loosen on the bolt. Running the engine is one way. Use of a heat gun or even high-temp hair dryer will help. What you absolutely, positively do not want to happen is to have the threads from the pan come out with the bolt, which is more likely than breaking the bolt. But either case will cause problems you don't want.

Good luck.

Pilgrim

Turbo6TA 07-22-2015 02:30 AM

The OP is gone !

FortMorganAl 07-22-2015 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Don-Vette (Post 1590097716)

Many, MANY years ago I was taught to use the right hand method. No matter what the bolt orientation it becomes obvious what direction to turn. You make a fist, point your thumb out, and turn in the direction of your fingers to move the bolt in the direction of your thumb. Clockwise, counter-clockwise, left, right, up, down, all get confusing when the bolt is upside down and backward behind your head. Pointing works for bolts or nuts in any orientation. Point your thumb the way you want the fastener to go and let your fingers tell you what way to turn.

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/uploa...2439_thumb.jpg

Mad*Max 07-22-2015 07:48 AM

wondering if the OP was successful:lurk:

Turbo6TA 07-22-2015 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Mad*Max (Post 1590103514)
wondering if the OP was successful:lurk:

He's gone !

dryadsdad 07-22-2015 08:07 AM

Maybe he realized he was turning it the wrong way so got embarrassed and exited the thread.

Mad*Max 07-22-2015 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by dryadsdad (Post 1590103597)
Maybe he realized he was turning it the wrong way so got embarrassed and exited the thread.

could be, I've been underneath my car and sometimes second guessed myself as to which way to turn:lol: