CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Im in a bind - Failed CA smog test for "Modified Software" (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/4556928-im-in-a-bind-failed-ca-smog-test-for-modified-software.html)

cv67 08-19-2021 11:31 AM

^^^^Gonna be a lot of tough to sell/cheap C5s and late model cars period out here.
So much for building my trucks 5.3 up. Shouldnt matter what you do long as it passes the sniffer.
Been going back/forth on a C5 but if it had to stay stock forever, cant even gear it? Nah.

madmatt9471 08-19-2021 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Lowend (Post 1603896415)
Reflashing the car to a stock tune is the most obvious option. Any dealership should be able to do this.
Diablosport does have a CARB legal tune that should get you through this also. ~$400 investment, but installs in about 5 min
https://www.diablosport.com/shop/int...3avjgn2h8rlp22

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA (Post 1603897869)
Do you know of anyone that has had dyno tuning done to there C6 via 'HP Tuners' ever pass this latest California smog test after attempting a re-flash of the ECU with the stock GM tune ?

I hate to sound negative, but after all this is said and done, you California folks with modified parts (headers, big cam, supercharger, etc) . and / or dyno tunes have but 2 options:

1. Sell the car to someone out of state

2. Keep the car and move yourself out of state

The only thing that I have done is this in answer to your "Main" question:

Do you know of anyone that has had dyno tuning done to there C6 via 'HP Tuners' ever pass this latest California smog test after attempting a re-flash of the ECU with the stock GM tune ?

My Vette, 2009 4lt A6, was Dyno tuned with HP Tuners with a Cam, VARARAM CAI, Ported TB, Ported and Rodded manifold, Z06/ZR1 exhaust w/4 cats into 2.5" NPP mufflers, YANK 3200 Stall, Z06 3.42 rear to the Tune 452 RWHP and 421 RWTQ

I kept my "Stock" GM VIN E38 GM4 V8 (12628990) ECM tune from my 2009 in HP Tuners, which I had downloaded and saved as a file and named. I recently downloaded it back into the ECU after I finished my Project "Back to Stock", then on 8/13/2021 I took it to the SMOG shop and told my SMOG technician exactly why I was there and that I wanted to do the SMOG on the Vette in order to see if I will need to go to GM and have "Them" re-flash the ECU (PCM) to stock or not for California to see all the CVN (Checksum" numbers -

The outcome on Friday 8/13/2021 was a completed SMOG and full pass of all emissions including the ECU, CVN (Checksum) numbers -

This was with the "Stock GM Tune" saved in HP Tuners -

As far as it goes for LT's, Big Cams, Superchargers with custom tunes they will be in a totally different boat and will have decisions to make - either they will have to get a "Bootleg SMOG" or a "Bootleg/Illegal CVN (Checksum) Corrected ECU" :eek: :willy: - this I was not going to do or will not do, to me it's not worth it at all.

As you know I have made the decision to keep and drive my Vette with my currant mods and if I want a Supercharged Corvette again I will purchase a C7 ZR1 or Z06 (because it has the A8 Automatic) - if the C6 ZR1 was an Auto I would get one of those because I prefer the C6 much more over the C7's (IMHO :D )

Thanks,Matt

Lowend 08-19-2021 01:18 PM

^ This is great news.
For the record CA BAR is claiming that if you have an EO# for the tune (DIablo, Hypertech) that hasn't been altered that it will be in their Checksum database and be considered legal. I haven't tested this.

oemtech 08-19-2021 01:43 PM

The CVN calibration codes can be viewed on the following GM website.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...58955ee1ee.jpg
OBTW - I never had any issue with modified ECM's I had tuned for the 8.1L engines in the RV's that I updated.

madmatt9471 08-19-2021 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Lowend (Post 1603898596)
^ This is great news.
For the record CA BAR is claiming that if you have an EO# for the tune (DIablo, Hypertech) that hasn't been altered that it will be in their Checksum database and be considered legal. I haven't tested this.

Yeah, hopefully so, because for A&A and Edelbrock it has not been the case and talking with Diablosport this morning they were unsure if their EO# will pass due to the way CA is testing and failing other EO# issued numbers.

It would be great if someone could test their Diablo EO# tune and see if it fails or passes.. Would help a lot of owners out and add valuable information to this and other threads that I will update.

Thanks,Matt

JABCAT 08-20-2021 09:25 AM

I’m curious how this works with a factory-modified car such as Callaway, Roush, etc. ?

*89x2* 08-20-2021 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by JABCAT (Post 1603902503)
I’m curious how this works with a factory-modified car such as Callaway, Roush, etc. ?

Callaway has an EO To be able to sell the vehicles in California. It’s a zero starter in the conversation. Not a problem. I don’t know about the other company mentioned

madmatt9471 08-20-2021 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by *89x2* (Post 1603902656)
Callaway has an EO To be able to sell the vehicles in California. It’s a zero starter in the conversation. Not a problem. I don’t know about the other company mentioned

Well said - Perhaps someone who has one and had to get SMOGGED will be able to comment on what happened when they went to get their SMOG done - any and all information will be helpful

Thanks,Matt

Gypsy883 08-20-2021 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by madmatt9471 (Post 1603892172)

States that require Emissions testing

Currently, there are 33 states that require testing in all or some areas. These include the following:
  • Arizona: Certain Areas (Phoenix and Tucson)
  • California: All Areas
  • Colorado: Some Areas (Denver and Boulder)
  • Connecticut: All Areas
  • Delaware: All Areas
  • Georgia: Certain Areas (all 13 Atlanta Metro Counties)
  • Idaho: Certain Areas (City of Boise and Ada County)
  • Illinois: Certain Areas (Chicago and East St. Louis)
  • Indiana: Certain Areas (Gary Metro Area)
  • Maine: Certain Areas (Cumberland County, and the Portland Metro Area)
  • Maryland: Certain Areas (all DC Metro and the City of Baltimore)
  • Massachusetts: All Areas
  • Missouri: Certain Areas (Jefferson County and Franklin County)
  • Nevada: Certain Areas (Cities of Reno and Las Vegas)
  • New Hampshire: All Areas
  • New Jersey: All Areas
  • New Mexico: Certain Areas (Albuquerque Metro Area)
  • New York: All Areas
  • North Carolina: Certain Areas (48 Counties – See the NC DMV site for more info).
  • Ohio: Certain Areas (Cities of Akron and Cleveland)
  • Oregon: Certain Areas (Cities of Medford and Portland)
  • Pennsylvania: Certain Areas (Cities of Pittsburgh and Philadelphia)
  • Tennessee: Certain Areas (Cities of Nashville and Memphis)
  • Texas: Certain Areas (Cities of Austin, Houston, Dallas/Fort Worth and El Paso)
  • Utah: Certain Areas (Cities of Ogden, Provo and Salt Lake)
  • Vermont: All Areas (1996 or Newer Vehicles Only)
  • Virginia: certain Areas (all DC Metro and Arlington)
  • Washington: Certain Areas (Cities of Seattle, Spokane, Tacoma and Vancouver)
  • Washington DC: All Areas
  • Wisconsin: Certain Areas (all of SE Wisconsin and the City of Milwaukee)
The list above is subject to change at any time. Emissions regulations shift frequently. The best source of information regarding your specific testing requirements will be from your state’s DMV or DOT website (some states make this information available from the Department of Consumer Affairs, as well). You can also check the handy guide at DMV.org, which provides information about all 50 states.

Thanks,Matt

Tennessee is done Jan,14 2022 in all counties with the exception of Davidson (Nashville)

JABCAT 08-20-2021 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by *89x2* (Post 1603902656)

I would assume then, by what's been posted, that if the original Callaway tune has been altered it would then be flagged & put back to original? I have no intention to ever move to CA, just curious.

lilcuda 08-20-2021 02:51 PM

Currently, there are 33 states that require testing in all or some areas. These include the following:
  • North Carolina: Certain Areas (48 Counties – See the NC DMV site for more info).
  • Texas: Certain Areas (Cities of Austin, Houston, Dallas/Fort Worth and El Paso)
The list above is subject to change at any time. Emissions regulations shift frequently. The best source of information regarding your specific testing requirements will be from your state’s DMV or DOT website (some states make this information available from the Department of Consumer Affairs, as well). You can also check the handy guide at DMV.org, which provides information about all 50 states.

Thanks,Matt

But, more importantly, what do the emissions tests entail in each state? Are they just sniffer tests or are they visual tests as well? I have no problem with efforts towards clean air. We all know modded cars can still be clean. My issue is with the draconian laws intended only to get you to give up your gas car by making it nearly impossible for you to register it. SEMA needs to get involved if they are not already.

SurfnSun 08-20-2021 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by JABCAT (Post 1603904357)
I would assume then, by what's been posted, that if the original Callaway tune has been altered it would then be flagged & put back to original? I have no intention to ever move to CA, just curious.

I highly doubt they dive that deep into it but I could be wrong.

Let It Ride 08-20-2021 04:23 PM

WOW Big article today on Yahoo explaining this whole thing. What a coincidence
.https://www.yahoo.com/autos/californ...183900978.html

*89x2* 08-20-2021 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by JABCAT (Post 1603904357)

Only Callaway would know on their tune (or more properly described, calibrations), which individually, are not reported To CARB. ;)

*89x2* 08-20-2021 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by SurfnSun (Post 1603904630)
I highly doubt they dive that deep into it but I could be wrong.

You're not wrong.

HOXXOH 08-20-2021 08:51 PM

Thanks,Matt

Just for reference, the only 2 counties in AZ requiring emission tests are Maricopa (Phoenix area) and Pima (Tucson area), however those who live outside those borders and work/commute inside, still need the tests.
Cars built within the last 5 model years are exempt, as are some that are older than 25 years and all prior to 1967. Extremely low production cars also get a pass, since the feds don't or can't get them in quantities to create standards. For those from out of state (new registration) or beyond the 5 year exemption, the testing is then only required every other year.
The test consists of plugging into the OBDII port to check for issues that would trigger a check engine light. Also a vapor test is done to verify the gas cap has no leaks.

If you have catless headers and you can tune out the rear sensors, you'll pass the test. Although if you're blowing blue smoke out the tailpipe or other obvious problems, like no OBDII port (pre 1996), they'll still do the sniffer test.

Fees are charged for the tests at the testing station ($17 IIRC) and registration/renewal can be done online or at numerous locations. Registration and other minor fees are $10.85. Vehicle license taxes are calculated on the Mfg's base price per model and are reduced every year by some percentage (10% IIRC)
For more info: servicearizona.com

Conservatives are welcome as new residents, but don't tell any liberals where you plan to move. :hide:

lilcuda 08-20-2021 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by HOXXOH (Post 1603906349)
Just for reference, the only 2 counties in AZ requiring emission tests are Maricopa (Phoenix area) and Pima (Tucson area), however those who live outside those borders and work/commute inside, still need the tests.
Cars built within the last 5 model years are exempt, as are some that are older than 25 years and all prior to 1967. Extremely low production cars also get a pass, since the feds don't or can't get them in quantities to create standards. For those from out of state (new registration) or beyond the 5 year exemption, the testing is then only required every other year.
The test consists of plugging into the OBDII port to check for issues that would trigger a check engine light. Also a vapor test is done to verify the gas cap has no leaks.

If you have catless headers and you can tune out the rear sensors, you'll pass the test. Although if you're blowing blue smoke out the tailpipe or other obvious problems, like no OBDII port (pre 1996), they'll still do the sniffer test.

Fees are charged for the tests at the testing station ($17 IIRC) and registration/renewal can be done online or at numerous locations. Registration and other minor fees are $10.85. Vehicle license taxes are calculated on the Mfg's base price per model and are reduced every year by some percentage (10% IIRC)
For more info: servicearizona.com

Conservatives are welcome as new residents, but don't tell any liberals where you plan to move. :hide:

I would move to AZ if it weren’t so hot and if there weren’t nasty bugs and spiders.

buckmeister2 08-20-2021 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by FAUEE (Post 1603890708)
What did they say triggered it as being "modified computer"? Neither of those mods would be something that people would tune for. And the MBRP exhaust is, how to put this nicely.... It's budget friendly. Budget focus people don't spend a couple hundred on a tune for no reason. Does your paperwork indicate anything that triggered this? It's not like they'd have a copy of every stock tune, so they're clearly looking at something pretty simple to determine it. I bet it's looking for a "not ready" or something like that from an emissions system, which could be an easier fix.

In CA, when a vehicle fails a smog check, there is nothing that pinpoints the reason for failure. The MBRP would be an instant failure, which would be checked as "modified exhaust". Anything else, if it checks off the box on the computer, it fails.

Speedy007 08-21-2021 11:55 AM

No sw modified is the pin point . Stands for software modification says it right on your slip ….I do hope because some us have multiple carb serials for our car this will still mark them
as exempt in the system

lght spd 08-21-2021 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA (Post 1603897869)

I hate to sound negative, but after all this is said and done, you California folks with modified parts (headers, big cam, supercharger, etc) . and / or dyno tunes have but 2 options:

1. Sell the car to someone out of state

2. Keep the car and move yourself out of state

I have this same question regarding this “checksum” business. 2 years ago I failed smog because I forgot I had a SCT handheld tune in the ECM. SCT told me to pack sand cause I was in California. So I had a tuner upload a OEM tune back in and at the time passed smog. Here we are two years later and nothing has been modified and now I’ve got a re-smog the car again. Is this checksum going to be a problem?