CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [Z06] GM engine recall? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/2499940-gm-engine-recall.html)

blitzu 01-07-2010 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by jimman (Post 1572657975)
Read post #40 and chill out and go have lunch or something.

Read post # 51 and eat a bagel with cream cheese with little sprinkles of powdered sugar or something.

Yeah... that statement was as stupid as yours was...

Anyways, my point was simple, which was not everyone has the money to repair a motor. Even if one would spend the $2000-3000 to put enough aftermarket parts to feel "safe" they also just ditched their 100K warranty. It's a catch 22. You can't do anything but sit and worry about loosing a ton of money with this car. You shouldn't have these issues when you're buying a car, performance vehicle or not.

jimman 01-07-2010 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by blitzu (Post 1572679719)
Read post # 51 and eat a bagel with cream cheese with little sprinkles of powdered sugar or something.

Yeah... that statement was as stupid as yours was...

Anyways, my point was simple, which was not everyone has the money to repair a motor. Even if one would spend the $2000-3000 to put enough aftermarket parts to feel "safe" they also just ditched their 100K warranty. It's a catch 22. You can't do anything but sit and worry about loosing a ton of money with this car. You shouldn't have these issues when you're buying a car, performance vehicle or not.

What problems, that’s the point, I've got 97K with zero problems except for an oil pressure-sending unit. Before you call people stupid and try and insult them I would suggest you think first:smash::smash::mad::mad:

longdaddy 01-07-2010 09:59 PM

whatever the actual statistics are (we can argue about forum stories all day), doing a recall for a corvette motor would be a PR nightmare and will likely results in more lost customers in the long run. then there are the costs.

at this point we are in a status quo where GM has plausable deniability regarding the engine quality and I bet they want to keep it that way, hoping that the issue will become moot as number of in-warranty failures decreases due to increased oil capacity.

GM is not in a business of building track-ready cars, they are and have been in a survival mode for several years.

QwikC 01-08-2010 09:45 AM

Many a small thing has been made large by the right kind of advertising. – Mark Twain

jschindler 01-08-2010 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Big Top Gt (Post 1572659684)
I laugh when people say something as stupid as "if you can't afford X repairs, you shouldn't have bought the car."

The fact of the matter is most people who own these cars can't afford to shell out 14k in one fell swoop on a disposable repair. (You're not getting any of that money back when you dump the car. Consider it a sunk cost.)

It's not like putting a new stock motor in the car increases the value by 14k.

Stop saying stupid and dismissive things, people. The ones who claim to be able to afford to waste 14k on a motor are the first ones to lawyer up because they don't think they should have to.

I really wish stupidity was painful. :D

I have to take issue with some of what you say (although I'm also trying to see both sides and be sympathetic).

These cars are not just daily transportation. We buy Z06's because we want very serious performance. I don't know about you, but my car gets exercised very aggressively. My car is bone stock, and I don't track the car - so I fully expect my warranty would be covered if something did happen.

BUT, I'm also realistic about it. Twenty-five years ago I put an aftermarket turbo on an RX7. Due to a problem that I could have probably blamed on the company that sold the kit, I blew the engine in it. I didn't complain to anyone, didn't try to get anyone else to pay for it, and it would have never occurred to me to "lawyer up". I hardly had enough in my regular savings account to pay for it - but I did.

I've also had some really nice Cigarette boats. I've blown more than one out drive because I was out in Galveston Bay jumping waves in it. I never tried to blame anyone or get anyone else to pay for them either.

The point is that the old saying "you have to pay to play" holds true. Automobiles - stock or not, are mechanical devices that are subject to failure - more so if you run them hard. While it would piss me off and put a dent in my savings, I'd have to accept that replacing an engine in a Z06 is a definite possibility.

$14,000 seem pretty excessive to me and I doubt that it would really cost anywhere near that much to fix one (in most circumstances an entire new engine is pretty rare), but it's about 20% of the cost of the car. I have a good friend who just spent $3500 to have the A/C system in his 10 year old Lexus fixed. I'm guessing his car would be lucky to be worth $10,000 right now.

I've got a 15 year old house right now that will probably need two new A/C units soon. The price will likely be around $15,000. Am I happy about it? No. But that's the price of living in a house like I live in.

The point is that anyone who buys a $80,000 car that is designed to push the limits of performance and is one of the fastest cars on the road really should consider the consequences. If they can't afford to fix it, they have options - don't race it, don't mod it, and trade it before the warranty expires.

whitjo 01-08-2010 10:23 AM

It's UGLY! '06 w 4500 miles, GM replaced it then extended my warranty to 5/100 on the drivetrain.

Rocker failed
http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/t...e/IMG_0008.jpg

Spring broke
http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/t...e/IMG_0009.jpg

Valve made intimate contact with piston
http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/t...e/IMG_0004.jpg

blitzu 01-08-2010 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by jimman (Post 1572679916)
What problems, that’s the point, I've got 97K with zero problems except for an oil pressure-sending unit. Before you call people stupid and try and insult them I would suggest you think first:smash::smash::mad::mad:

Thing is there are about ummm 1 of you on this forum (97K miles), and well over a dozen with less than 15K that have had stock engine failures. And reading is definitely not your friend, I called both your statement and mine stupid, I never call YOU stupid.

TuckerO 01-08-2010 10:53 PM

My thoughts are this. My car is modded. So my warranty is shot if I have a failure. Some may say it won't happen look at the odds. I wonder how many people have full coverage insurance on the cars they own because the chance of them having a wreck & it being their fault is probably around the same as an engine failure. I have full coverage & would be interested in doing something to my car that might save me a replacement. I can afford to replace my engine or even my car. I just would rather buy or do something to my car so I don't have too. I don't track or drag my car but I do like to play. I guess what I am saying is to try & spend a little money for some insurance is not that stupid as we do it all the time. A lot of cars are modded & to know that a failure happened when I was driving down the highway at 65mph due to a product & having to spend 20k would not be in my book you have to pay to play. I am willing to pay to play. I would rather fix the problem than replace the engine. Just my 02.

Tucker