CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Tire Pressures..........How Much Do You Run? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/3697453-tire-pressures-how-much-do-you-run.html)

jb78L-82 08-18-2015 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by lionelhutz (Post 1590293184)
I've seen complaints in the C5 forums about PS2's wearing out in the center first when using the recommended pressure on the car's label. I've also seen posts claiming Michelin says to run higher pressures. But I'll keep with the slightly lower pressure since I got around 40k miles on a tire that is only treadwear warrantied for 10k miles.

:thumbs:

I run 32 PSI on my 78 255/45/17 ZR's since I can't do a true rotation. On my 10C6Z06 I run 28 PSI hoping to wear them out quicker...they suck those goodyear runflats..

BLUE1972 08-19-2015 12:30 PM

Tire pressure is dependent on many items,
drag racing = less pressure
oval racing = staggered pressure
road course = front to back stagger
rim size = +/-
sidewall construction / compounds
tire type - bias ply, radial, truck
tire pressure on the side wall is usually max pressure

:woohoo:

car manufacturers tire pressure is for their rim size, tire size - sidewall construction and a balance of ride vs tire wear verses handling.

I raced many years ago, it's not as simple as many people believe. :crazy:

I would not go too low as it will create increased internal tire temperatures that may cause delamination internally which will lead to tire failures ... think Firestone 500 and ford explorer for research info.

:cheers:

toobroketoretire 08-19-2015 02:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just happened to have two sets of old rear tires; the set on the left came off my '82 run with 24 psi (COLD) and the set on the right came off my '71 run with 22 psi (COLD. Note how the centers of both sets are worn out when the outer edges still have 1/8" to 3/16" tread.

I just got back from the valley below and checked my rear tire pressures HOT and they both showed 23 psi. So the heat generated coming up the 10 mile long 6% grade increased their pressure by 3 psi. And in the past I have found they'll have around 25 psi after an extended freeway drive on a 100 degree day.

tracdogg2 08-19-2015 02:54 PM

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-shown-001.jpg

And yet this pic clearly shows under-inflation wear pattern. That means there's more wear on the edges than in the center. What excuse are you going to come up with now?

MelWff 08-19-2015 03:40 PM

Tire Pressure Gauge

Originally Posted by toobroketoretire (Post 1590302770)
I just happened to have two sets of old rear tires; the set on the left came off my '82 run with 24 psi (COLD) and the set on the right came off my '71 run with 22 psi (COLD. Note how the centers of both sets are worn out when the outer edges still have 1/8" to 3/16" tread.

I just got back from the valley below and checked my rear tire pressures HOT and they both showed 23 psi. So the heat generated coming up the 10 mile long 6% grade increased their pressure by 3 psi. And in the past I have found they'll have around 25 psi after an extended freeway drive on a 100 degree day.

What kind of tire pressure gauge are you using and have you ever cross checked the readings with another gauge?

gdh 08-19-2015 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by MelWff (Post 1590303399)
What kind of tire pressure gauge are you using and have you ever cross checked the readings with another gauge?

That's what I was wondering as that happened today to me. The airpump at a friend's was showing 28 when in reality it was well over 40 when checked with 2 different guages.
I just set my 17" summer performance tires today at 35.

toobroketoretire 08-19-2015 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by MelWff (Post 1590303399)

I use two gauges; my heavy duty Amflo gauge and my digital gauge (that I carry in my car) and I compare them every now and then.

toobroketoretire 08-19-2015 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by tracdogg2 (Post 1590303002)

And yet this pic clearly shows under-inflation wear pattern. That means there's more wear on the edges than in the center. What excuse are you going to come up with now?

You ARE kidding, right? The tread in the centers is completely missing and you can't see that?

lionelhutz 08-19-2015 06:34 PM

I noticed that too. :rofl:

I also see what appears to be uneven wear and feathering caused by alignment issues in the picture just posted here.

tracdogg2 08-19-2015 07:33 PM

You see that light gray printing at the top of the box that is just above the letters I am typing right now?
That is called a link. In one of your hands or feet is a little plastic thing with a wire on it. That is called a mouse. Don't try to kill it, it is already dead. There are two buttons on top of the mouse. Put the little arrow on the screen (the tv looking thing in front of you) and push the LEFT button on top of the mouse's head. Soon you will see a new picture. You should recognize it since you put it there. It is in the thread where you are trying to tell intelligent people how to do a half-azz alignment with the wheel off. The picture clearly shows more wear on the outer edges than in the middle. This is what happens when you drive with too low air pressure.

How much simpler can I possibly make it? Is someone else reading and typing for you? Is English a language you don't understand? People constantly give you correct answers to the ridiculous questions you ask and you act like you don't or can't read them.

toobroketoretire 08-19-2015 08:00 PM

When the tread in the centers of tires is completely worn off and the edges of those tires still have some tread that means the CENTERS HAVE WORN OUT FROM OVER INFLATION.

Yes, two of the tires show some extra edge wear on one edge only and that came from a slightly negative camber that I corrected when I installed new tires (that I mounted and balanced myself).

I have always run lower pressures in the big 255X60R15's because lower pressures give even tread wear all the way to the point of needing replacement. Many folks believe the correct pressures are stated on the sides of the tires but those people aren't understanding those are maximum LOAD pressures.

tracdogg2 08-19-2015 08:03 PM

You cannot possibly be so dumb! CLICK ON THE LINK.

tracdogg2 08-19-2015 08:04 PM

Then again maybe you are. Everyone else thinks so.

lionelhutz 08-19-2015 09:45 PM

Since you are incapable of understanding how a link works, this is the picture you're blatantly ignoring that tracdogg2 is referring to which shows clear signs of being run under inflated.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...fc4a2b4f4d.jpg

:crazy2: The correct pressure is on the door label on the car, not on the sidewall. Since a 255 tire was factory equipment why would you have to deviate from what the factory recommended?

Also, funny how there isn't a rash of posters all talking about their center tire wear....

Majoho 08-19-2015 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by toobroketoretire (Post 1590269828)
running 24 psi in the front and 20 psi in the rear

That is simply asking for a catastrophic tire failure at freeway speeds. The heat buildup in a modern tire carcass at those pressures, at freeway speeds, is tremendous. A sudden blowout WILL happen. I've seen it so many times....

BlackC3vette 08-19-2015 10:57 PM

Referring to the picture of the four tires you posted, it's incredible that you drove on these tires in the condition that they are in. Having an accident with those tires would probably bring up the subject of criminal negligence in the state where I live.

pippo350 08-20-2015 04:19 AM

On my '81 I ran 33/34 (cold)on 15'' rims with 2° of negative camber.

toobroketoretire 08-20-2015 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by lionelhutz (Post 1590305916)
Since you are incapable of understanding how a link works, this is the picture you're blatantly ignoring that tracdogg2 is referring to which shows clear signs of being run under inflated.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...fc4a2b4f4d.jpg

:crazy2: The correct pressure is on the door label on the car, not on the sidewall. Since a 255 tire was factory equipment why would you have to deviate from what the factory recommended?

Also, funny how there isn't a rash of posters all talking about their center tire wear....

People don't notice the center wearing out faster until it becomes obvious. Now for something you aren't aware of. I live in the mountains and there isn't a mile of straight road for 12 miles. The wear you see on the edges of my tires is caused by the turns in the road. That is the way it goes for us mountain dwellers. The outer edge wear you see in this picture was caused by about 1/2 degree of positive camber and that has been corrected a few weeks ago.

lionelhutz 08-20-2015 07:33 AM

So, where is the edge wear from these mountain roads on your other tires????

1/2 degree of camber won't wear an edge. The wrong toe wears out edges. You shouldn't be giving alignment advice when you don't even understand this.

toobroketoretire 08-26-2015 03:31 PM

I looked at the Tire Rack's website to see what they say about tire sizes, load ratings, and inflation pressures.

The maximum load carrying capacity and tire pressure required for that maximum load is shown on the side of the tire. An example would be 1875 pounds @ 35 psi.

For less load less pressure is required in a proportional amount which is EXACTLY WHAT I TOLD YOU.

At highway speeds the big 255X60R15's on a 3600 pound C3 only require 20-22 psi. If you want to run the tire at it's maximum rated 115 mph speed then it does require the maximum pressure for safety reasons.

Don't argue with me...............argue with the tire experts and those experts aren't you guys!