CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Anyone else feel the HUD is kind of a waste on this car (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3311881-anyone-else-feel-the-hud-is-kind-of-a-waste-on-this-car.html)

jgeer 10-11-2013 12:13 AM

Hud

In the camp with all cars should have HUD. Have had my C7 for almost two weeks now and just returned from a trip to the Baloon Fest in Albuquerque no car defects or problems. I wish I had a dollar for every time we observed someone taking phone pictures of the car on this trip. Two things that I am disappointed in on the new HUD. No turn signal indicator, no high beam indicator on the HUD. At 6ft 2" I have to peep around the steering wheel to see these. After passing someone it is nice to know if your turn indicator is really off. The same on high beam - are they on when meeting a car at night. Hopefully I have overlooked the setup on this and they really are available?

SCM_Crash 10-11-2013 04:47 AM

Got to drive a the C7 a tiny bit tonight. The HUD is fantastic on the C7. WAY more clear than the C5 hud I'm used to. And it updates WAY faster. I didn't get a chance to play with it much, but it was certainly something worth checking out if you haven't or you're on the fence about whether you want it or not.

Since I started driving cars without the HUD, I've genuinely missed the Corvettes that much more. I have to look down to check my speed. Up until now, I never realized how distracting and some-what dangerous that actually is.

Daekwan06 10-11-2013 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Andrew6 (Post 1585146354)
How about video?

Thanks!

ALLANB 10-11-2013 10:09 AM

Add me to the HUD should be in all cars camp.
I was mad when got my 99 Trans am that it didn't have one and the Grand Prix GTP did.
I loved the HUD in my 2008 Z06 that sold this past spring and the new c7 HUD looks greatly improved. I am also bit pissed off that don't have a HUD in my very pricey when new 2007 SL55 and don't see HUD offered in even the newest SL or Porsches nor the Dodge viper which also think should get a HUD. Nor in very many other exotics.. Fact what other cars have HUDS?

Its a fighter get type of think and well I admit Top Gun is my favorite movie!

427bob 10-11-2013 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Johnny@MTI (Post 1584511256)
i like the HUD but.... that g gauge is going to kill me one day.

I read the manual one winter and found out I can check the highest G I pulled, since I started the car, (later) so I eliminated trying to see the readout during a high G experience.

HUD is great, unless I bought the car for stints in parking lots, chasing dust bunnies.

rsl2715 10-11-2013 02:18 PM

Hate driving a car with-out HUD,all cars should have this as standard equip.

jsc7vette 10-11-2013 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by rsl2715 (Post 1585150840)
Hate driving a car with-out HUD,all cars should have this as standard equip.

:iagree: It truly frees up your attention to focus on the road and mirrors while seeing your current actual speed and the posted limit. No need to scan gauges since any critical message will also be immediately displayed in the HUD (without requiring you to set up anything). :cool:

Mike Mercury 10-11-2013 03:19 PM

My 2002 was without HUD. After 3-4 years, I added the factory HUD. It was cool for about 2 months; but I ended-up not looking at it. Had that C5 for 11 years total; and of the 7 years with the HUD; I mostly looked right past it.

If I was an autocrosser, I imagine it would be helpful.

One thing I can say though, it sure helped on resale. Many people looking for a used Corvette (especially those out after their first Corvette)... always asked me if my 2002 (when I had it for sale) had the HUD.

indyjack18 10-11-2013 03:39 PM

I haven't seen my speedo in several cars now due to my driving position and such. Always have to bend down and look around the top of the steering wheel to check my speed. I've never had HUD but I'm looking forward to it just for that simple reason.