CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   TJ Hunt Check Engine light (road trip) (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4377648-tj-hunt-check-engine-light-road-trip.html)

DJackman 03-10-2020 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by 69 (Post 1601093682)
I've been watching Tj Hunt YouTube C8 road trip and he has the check engine light illuminated, at time stamp 9.35 On-Star informed him that the car "has a fault with the engine and transmission, need to see a dealer in one (1) day"....It will be interesting to see the video on what the "fix" is for this engine and transmission fault.
Great to see the cars performance on the cross country road trip and his videos of the ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2IeZRYh3HA

at 12:31 there is that slight power loss / hesitation right after the shift ... I see that on many of the A8 Z06 going to 5th on many videos too . What’s going on with that ??

Quinten33 03-10-2020 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Spamburger_Hamburger (Post 1601097682)
Some of ya'll need a reality check. These kind of vlog style videos are one of the most popular form of entertainment on the planet. Many people watch them as entertainment just like people watch TV shows. It's not always for technical reviews and overtly informational content. Just because it's not your favorite way to consume car content, doesn't mean it's trash or they are clowns. It means they made themselves a job and are pretty successful at it. Most people don't know the work that goes into that stuff. How long they did it for zero income before gaining enough views and popularity to monetize it. GM had all the YouTubers out a couple weeks ago to that event at Spring Mountain because they are smart. More people watch those videos than would ever see a commercial on TV. Those YouTubers usually reach a much younger audience than this board's average age and GM has publicly voiced their desire to get a younger demographic into Corvette's. It's smart marketing. It's not marketed to you guys who've had Vette's for 20 or 30 years. You don't have to like it, or watch one minute of it. But be an adult and stop disparaging these people for absolutely no reason. Not one of you keyboard warriors would call them these things to their face, so why say it online.

I'm a gen z kid and I approve this message. Everything that I watch, aside from sports, sports-related shows, and movies is on YouTube, and that's common among my peers. Some people on YouTube are toxic and fake their personalities, but every content creator that I watch is self-made and humble. They don't follow scripts or corporate orders, unlike TV shows. It's amazing how much better the camera quality of YouTube videos are now compared to TV shows, and their editing talent is far ahead. YouTube allows people to watch content about the things that they are interested in, and it lets them explore topics that they don't know anything about. TV is nothing but scripted comedies, biased news coverage, "reality" shows, and Live PD at this point. The only automotive shows are produced and run by people who know nothing about cars. On YouTube, I watch tons of different self-made guys who buy their own cars, work on their own cars, drive the hell out of their own cars, film their own videos, edit their own videos, and make a ton of money doing it. And they aren't all guys sitting in garages working on show cars. Cleetus McFarland ran a 7.89s quarter mile in a C5 Vet-cart with no body and a 6-speed manual(first GM stick car in the 7s), and he just bought a race track. Adam LZ is a Formula Drift Pro 2 competitor who owns his own team, has his own merchandising company, and was good enough last season to earn a spot in Formula Drift's top division(he's not moving up yet, though). Guitarmageddon ZL1 works at a steel mill full time but also has a channel with a 9-second 5th gen ZL1 that's switching to a big turbo setup. These guys are legit, and I have met those three in person. Unlike actors, most big YouTubers engage with their fans in-person through events that they create, and guys like Cleetus can shut down entire highways with the traffic they bring into areas. They do influence lives, and they do so in a great way. Some, like Mr. Beast, even make a living by making videos about giving away money or thousands of dollars worth of stuff to people, charities, or other causes in need. You don't see that type of stuff of TV.

BTW, here's a video of that "idiot" TJ Hunt driving horribly and abusing a poor car. This should be illegal :rolleyes:

Maxie2U 03-10-2020 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Corvette ED (Post 1601098322)
Street Speed and TJ both ordered their cars from Matt Beaver at Whitmoyer Chevrolet in Mt. Joy Pa. Both spent the $5,000 and did custom vin option. Street Speed got vin #14, TJ got vin# 16 and there is someone else who got vin#18 all from Whitmoyer. Street Speed did the same thing last year with his ZR1 he got vin # 4. Anybody can do it if you want to spend the $5,000

With all due respect that’s simply not correct.

I know they ordered from Matt Beaver at Whitmoyer Chevrolet. Whitmoyer is a small dealer and do not have the allocations or influence that Kerbeck, MacMulkin, Chiswell have. In fact Whitmoyer Chevrolet is not even on the list of the top 50 Corvette dealers.

AND the custom VIN option does not get you moved up on the production list it simply affords you the ability to pick a custom VIN.

VETTLIFE 03-10-2020 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by JasonVette (Post 1601097686)
I think at one point streetspeed was making something around $40k+ a month from YouTube alone. This was awhile back...with less viewers and subscribers now. It really is amazing what putting on a persona and street racing can do for someone with a camera.

He actually posted this on his channel, he was making around $3,000+ per video and growing.

Honestly though these guys are all morons. Spilling Monster energy drinks on the seat of your brand new C8 and racing within 15 minutes of picking up their cars. Youtube is stupid central and pay these guys to burn brain cells.

themonk 03-10-2020 08:17 PM

again I laugh because most of you seem to think that the people in here saying whatever about TJ has something to do with his age, but then again you're the ones who are impressed by some dude doing doughnuts and burnouts in a car, you are the same people who stand at the C&C exits with your phones out recording what someone else is doing because for some odd reason you think that posting the vid on your social media page people will think you're cool for being able to record something...hahahaha...instant gratification by seeking approval by others...talk about low self esteem. I watch a lot of YouTubers, I subscribe to most of the good ones, DDE, Shmee, Supercar Blondie, VinWiki, Street Speed, Doug DeMuro, Cleetus McFarland, Emelia Hartford, etc and the ones that I enjoy the most are the ones that actually talk about the cars, talk about the mods they do, go over nice exotics, not the one who do nothing the whole episode but burn their tires, my rocks don't get off by seeing tire smoke, I can do that in my car or on my motorbikes myself, but hey, that's just me, I'm not as easily amused as a lot of people.

Truth be known, Jay Leno could do burnouts and doughnuts in his new C8 or whatever car he owns and it wouldn't impress me in the least simply because I think those two things are just stupid and I'm not a pimply faced pre-teenaged boy who walks around with a boner every time I hear a car spin it's tires. Post up some good drag times or laps on a road course, that will impress me.

Red Mist Rulz 03-10-2020 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Maxie2U (Post 1601098907)
AND the custom VIN option does not get you moved up on the production list it simply affords you the ability to pick a custom VIN.

Customer cars are built in VIN order. So if you pay for a low VIN, you do move up the production list.

Sin City 03-10-2020 09:34 PM

For the good of the California school system which seems to have failed this person, Louisville is pronounced "Lou-E-vil"

Oh yes.. and Texas is "big and flat". I know that's shocking. Where's all the cactus plants like in the Western movies? Well, they are in Arizona.

You're welcome. I know, Geography is tough. Maybe someday he'll get to go to the Morocco Grand prix.

Thunder22 03-10-2020 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by themonk (Post 1601099194)
again I laugh because most of you seem to think that the people in here saying whatever about TJ has something to do with his age, but then again you're the ones who are impressed by some dude doing doughnuts and burnouts in a car, you are the same people who stand at the C&C exits with your phones out recording what someone else is doing because for some odd reason you think that posting the vid on your social media page people will think you're cool for being able to record something...hahahaha...instant gratification by seeking approval by others...talk about low self esteem. I watch a lot of YouTubers, I subscribe to most of the good ones, DDE, Schmee, Supercar Blondie, VinWiki, Street Speed, Doug DeMuro, Cleetus McFarland, Emelia Hartford, etc and the ones that I enjoy the most are the ones that actually talk about the cars, talk about the mods they do, go over nice exotics, not the one who do nothing the whole episode but burn their tires, my rocks don't get off by seeing tire smoke, I can do that in my car or on my motorbikes myself, but hey, that's just me, I'm not as easily amused as a lot of people.

Truth be known, Jay Leno could do burnouts and doughnuts in his new C8 or whatever car he owns and it wouldn't impress me in the least simply because I think those two things are just stupid and I'm not a pimply faced pre-teenaged boy who walks around with a boner every time I hear a car spin it's tires. Post up some good drag times or laps on a road course, that will impress me.

Don't be shocked, but we agree ;) It's hilarious that everyone throwing around the stereotypes, "ok boomer" comments and age jokes are being stereotypical snowflakes ... oh the hypocrisy and irony hahahaha

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...0c5ad56b5d.gif

OldJedi 03-10-2020 10:05 PM

Being older than the majority of the other members it is not surprising that this is the first TJ Hunt video that I have seen. I watched it and the ones from Speed Street 717 because they took delivery of the first C8’s. Being about 50 years older than TJ, I probably would not have done some of the same things he did in a new car. I did enjoy the videos and tried to learn as much from them as possible. Like he was driving 84 mph and turning 1700RPM. The split screen on the nav. and other small items about the car. I’m guessing that he was doing about 180-185 in that 6500 sixth gear pull. He did “influence” me to change my want for the car from 90% to 95%. I still want to sit and drive the car before I give up my C7. Some of You Tubers are better than others but I found TJ’s entertaining.

Poorrari 03-11-2020 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by Sin City (Post 1601099560)
Louisville is pronounced "Lou-E-vil"

no, it isn’t... It’s “Loo uh vull”.

carry on.

Sin City 03-11-2020 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Poorrari (Post 1601100389)
no, it isn’t... It’s “Loo uh vull”.

carry on.

Well, it sure as hell isn't Lewis Ville.

Stephen Christian 03-11-2020 08:40 AM

Please explain to me the proper way you wod do a donut and provide a video of you doing said donut. The car has serious nannies on it so its not going to want to do a donut. If you think thats considered abusing the car then you're one of those people that still has a 3000 mile base c6 in their garage with a blow up bubble protector around it.

Corvette ED 03-11-2020 10:09 AM

I know they ordered from Matt Beaver at Whitmoyer Chevrolet. Whitmoyer is a small dealer and do not have the allocations or influence that Kerbeck, MacMulkin, Chiswell have. In fact Whitmoyer Chevrolet is not even on the list of the top 50 Corvette dealers.

First off you don't know what your talking about? Whitmoyer is on the list and is also the number 1 Corvette dealership in Pennsylvania? My dealership is number two in Pennsylvania and when did you become an expert in Corvette ordering? Do you work at a Chevrolet dealership? if a customer chooses custom vin option for the $5,000 they pick the number and GM will tell you if it is available or not. If it isn't you pick another? Last year some of us did it to get our ZR1's early in production?

vettefordays 03-11-2020 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by themonk (Post 1601099194)
...instant gratification by seeking approval by others...talk about low self esteem.

People with high self-esteem don't care this much about what others are doing :confused2:

BLACKCREEK 03-12-2020 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by themonk (Post 1601096513)
All the people in here that call these clowns "influencers", I can't believe that these people actually influence you, lemme guess, they tell you to wear women's underwear and you're all over it. :lol:

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/3859b60...b-3a80b5f27462

ArmchairArchitect 03-12-2020 09:49 AM

A lot of these dumb content youtube channels like TJ Hunt, Stradman, Streetspeed, etc. are popular because they were one of the first out of the gate on youtube. They wouldn't cut it as a new channel these days.

WAY better content and intelligent youtube car channels like Mr JWW, Tavarish, VinWiki, etc.

Note: I'm a millennial, not a boomer.

Originally Posted by direct007 (Post 1601096801)
I give these kids credit and I'm 55.

1. They figured out a way to attract a million or so followers and create a lucrative living from it.

2. They are influencers... as people their age (and all ages) that like cars see these videos and the thought is subliminally planted in their head that the Corvette is no longer an "old man's" car but a hot new car that a younger generation can aspire to and gives them the opportunity to see what the car can do that they may not have in real life.

3. The car is limited in what it can do in the first 500 miles. There was nothing short of driving it off a cliff that would hurt the car. The short race with his buddy was nothing the car couldn't handle when it was under 500 miles.

4. Every detractor that is talking sh*t on these guys but watching their videos is contributing. Any chatter good or bad is broadening their audience which is exactly what they want

5. The fact that they team up with other widely watched youtubers is even better and brings the C8 to the forefront of the car to have. This is good for the Corvette in general because if it remained a car that was only desirable to people who retired, the Corvette may not have been with us for much longer.

jimmyb 03-12-2020 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Sin City (Post 1601099560)
For the good of the California school system which seems to have failed this person, Louisville is pronounced "Lou-E-vil"

Oh yes.. and Texas is "big and flat". I know that's shocking. Where's all the cactus plants like in the Western movies? Well, they are in Arizona.

You're welcome. I know, Geography is tough. Maybe someday he'll get to go to the Morocco Grand prix.

You mean THIS GUY that the the GP was named for?

MATTBEAVER 03-15-2020 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Corvette ED (Post 1601101543)
First off you don't know what your talking about? Whitmoyer is on the list and is also the number 1 Corvette dealership in Pennsylvania? My dealership is number two in Pennsylvania and when did you become an expert in Corvette ordering? Do you work at a Chevrolet dealership? if a customer chooses custom vin option for the $5,000 they pick the number and GM will tell you if it is available or not. If it isn't you pick another? Last year some of us did it to get our ZR1's early in production?

Originally Posted by Maxie2U (Post 1601097238)
I respectfully disagree. To prove my point when I spoke 1:1 with Tadge at the NCM 25th Anniversary Celebration I mentioned SpeedSpeed 717, and TJ Hunt to him. He responded by saying, “I’m well aware of them and look forward to when they get their cars”. Coincidence, I think not.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...2d84cfaeb.jpeg

Originally Posted by Corvette ED (Post 1601098322)
Street Speed and TJ both ordered their cars from Matt Beaver at Whitmoyer Chevrolet in Mt. Joy Pa. Both spent the $5,000 and did custom vin option. Street Speed got vin #14, TJ got vin# 16 and there is someone else who got vin#18 all from Whitmoyer. Street Speed did the same thing last year with his ZR1 he got vin # 4. Anybody can do it if you want to spend the $5,000

Originally Posted by meadowz06 (Post 1601096675)
He has no influence with GM. Wrong answer.

:lurk:

Bikerjulio 03-15-2020 07:15 PM

TJ Hunt had a video on the topic of his VIN. In it he said he approached his buddy "Matt" (Farrar) about how to get an early car and later found out that he had been accepted into the "VIP program".

There is plenty of circumstantial evidence that GM held back the first 25 VIN's for auctions, VIPs, and anyone paying for a low VIN.

And it's abundantly clear that a select group of Youtubers got preferential access to the car pre-production as well.