CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   [Z06] Z06 vs. FRC, differences... is it worth it? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/1643193-z06-vs-frc-differences-is-it-worth-it.html)

OutKlast 03-14-2007 10:01 PM

This thread has kind of gone to hell in hand basket. Didn't mean to start a big FRC vs. Z06 war or anything.

Still haven't bought a car another deal fell through was going to pick up a 04' Torch Red Z06 from IL but once again even though I was the first to respond offered cash and was willing to pick it up and pay for it in under 3 days it was sold from under me to a local buyer. Rather frustrating. Tuesday morning we set on a price and I was going to fly up thursday, tuesday night someone local looks at it and he sells it to him.

The search continues...

VetteDrmr 03-14-2007 10:09 PM

Yeah, sometimes these threads start acting like a teenage child; doesn't matter what your intent is or the logic behind its actions, it does what it wants to do. :rofl:

All I can tell you about your purchase is to have patience. It took me about 6 months to find mine, and you're in a target rich environment. It is frustrating, though.

Good luck with your search, and have a good one,
Mike

Ryan L 03-14-2007 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by ajg1915 (Post 1559364593)
The Z06 is a nice car from the factory but a heavily modded coupe or vert would blow the Z06's doors off.

And what makes you think the Z06 that wants to race has to stay stock?

ajg1915 03-15-2007 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Ryan L (Post 1559371558)
And what makes you think the Z06 that wants to race has to stay stock?

That's the whole point of this thread, what's the difference between the Z06 and FRC if you are going to mod them anyway.

meadowz06 03-15-2007 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by ajg1915 (Post 1559364593)
Superior to what ?

The Z06 is a nice car from the factory but a heavily modded coupe or vert would blow the Z06's doors off.

I would not want to run into a lot of guys in my local area with a stock Z06, they would just laugh at me.

Here's another one in the stable that's not a Z06 but would spit out a stock Z06 like it was standing still.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h7...ette2039-1.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h7...0Vette2053.jpg

Did bowling green make that supercharged coupe? Nope. You keep saying this modded and that modded. Who cares. The discussion WAS about a FRC vs. a Z06. STOCK! And STOCK, there is simply no comparing the two cars. Any car can be modified to beat another car, so what. The intent of this thread was to show the differences between the two cars. I had a LPE twin turbo C5 vert, but I did not mention that it was faster than a C5 Z06 because it would not have answered the question that was asked. Please, can we stay on topic.

Independent1 03-15-2007 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by meadowz06 (Post 1559276762)
I had a FRC and now I have a Z06. Very different cars. Different motor, different transmission, different suspension. The FRC is a great car, but simply not on the same level with a Z06!

^^^:iagree: I have owned and driven both too. As I said before, the Z06 is like an FRC on steroids. More power and more handling. A stock for stock comparison will leave the FRC eating the Z06's dust.:yesnod:

That being said, a lot of people like to work on their cars and modify them. When you buy a car you need to take into consideration how you plan to use it and what you intend to do to it. If you have big plans for your car, like some of us, it can make a lot more $en$e to buy the FRC because they can be purchased for a lower price.

I believe that was the only message that the FRC supporters on this thread were trying to make. There are too many people on this forum who like to share their inflated opinions of their cars by putting other people and their cars down.:sadangel:

The take home message is to not let other peoples' prejudicial views unduly influence you.

And with that I hope this thread is closed.

meadowz06 03-15-2007 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Independent1 (Post 1559374768)
^^^:iagree: I have owned and driven both too. As I said before, the Z06 is like an FRC on steroids. More power and more handling. A stock for stock comparison will leave the FRC eating the Z06's dust.:yesnod:

That being said, a lot of people like to work on their cars and modify them. When you buy a car you need to take into consideration how you plan to use it and what you intend to do to it. If you have big plans for your car, like some of us, it can make a lot more $en$e to buy the FRC because they can be purchased for a lower price.

I believe that was the only message that the FRC supporters on this thread were trying to make. There are too many people on this forum who like to share their inflated opinions of their cars by putting other people and their cars down.:sadangel:

The take home message is to not let other peoples' prejudicial views unduly influence you.

And with that I hope this thread is closed.

:iagree:

ajg1915 03-15-2007 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by OutKlast (Post 1559370574)
This thread has kind of gone to hell in hand basket. Didn't mean to start a big FRC vs. Z06 war or anything.

Still haven't bought a car another deal fell through was going to pick up a 04' Torch Red Z06 from IL but once again even though I was the first to respond offered cash and was willing to pick it up and pay for it in under 3 days it was sold from under me to a local buyer. Rather frustrating. Tuesday morning we set on a price and I was going to fly up thursday, tuesday night someone local looks at it and he sells it to him.

The search continues...

I have a very nice millenium yellow Z06, that you can get and if you make a deal with me I won't sell it out from under you.

Look here

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1639803

OutKlast 03-15-2007 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by ajg1915 (Post 1559376091)
I have a very nice millenium yellow Z06, that you can get and if you make a deal with me I won't sell it out from under you.

Look here

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1639803

Nice car but pretty far out of my budget.

ajg1915 03-15-2007 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by OutKlast (Post 1559378503)
Nice car but pretty far out of my budget.

You were going to buy and 04 Z06, what was he charging you ?

I can't believe that it is higher priced than mine, unless something was terribly wrong with it.

Anyway, good luck in search, hope you find a nice pampered Z06 to call your own.

Tony

OutKlast 03-15-2007 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by ajg1915 (Post 1559378651)
You were going to buy and 04 Z06, what was he charging you ?

I can't believe that it is higher priced than mine, unless something was terribly wrong with it.

Anyway, good luck in search, hope you find a nice pampered Z06 to call your own.

Tony

He was desperate to get rid of it because he already had another custom hot rod he wanted to pick up. My budget is more in the 01-02 Z06 30-45k miles range. I don't want to lowball you I've been watching values and your car looks real clean if you wanted a quick sale you could price it around 29-29.5, 31-32.5k if you could hold out for a few weeks to find a buyer and that probably woulden't be to hard. Either way both those numbers are out of my budget and you should be able to get that much for it.

ajg1915 03-15-2007 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by OutKlast (Post 1559379016)
He was desperate to get rid of it because he already had another custom hot rod he wanted to pick up. My budget is more in the 01-02 Z06 30-45k miles range. I don't want to lowball you I've been watching values and your car looks real clean if you wanted a quick sale you could price it around 29-29.5, 31-32.5k if you could hold out for a few weeks to find a buyer and that probably woulden't be to hard. Either way both those numbers are out of my budget and you should be able to get that much for it.

I sent you a PM.

skudlw 03-15-2007 02:47 PM

I tested both before I bought my 2007 Z. The ZO6 beats out any other type vette out there as a stock car.

ajg1915 03-15-2007 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by skudlw (Post 1559379206)
I tested both before I bought my 2007 Z. The ZO6 beats out any other type vette out there as a stock car.

That's true, but take the $25K difference and put it in mods and you got a Z killer.

kilrb 03-15-2007 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by 76REDVETTE (Post 1559270370)
Its complicated because you may save money up front by buying a FRC and then adding mods to put it at Z06 performance level but by the time you have added these parts you really won't be saving that much money. Not to mention when you go to sell the car you will get FRC money no matter what kind of mods are on the car. I say buy a Z06 and when you go to re-sell it you will get Z06 money.

I don't know that I'd go as far as to say that you'd be spending Z06 money to get to Z06 perfomance level... I bought my FRC for a minimum of $4k less than a comparbly used Z06, and I have put just a tad more than that into my heads/cam/headers/intake/etc, and I'm going to be well above a stock 355whp Z06 in terms of power (I'd better be; I'm in the final stages of putting it back together). I'm not trying to talk smack, or anything, just saying that you can make a 450 whp FRC for about what you'd spend on a Z06 (I'm aiming for 415-420 with a medium sized cam). You are right, though, that my FRC will be worth a FRC price, and I'll be either de-modding, or losing my shirt when I sell, but I plan to keep this baby for a long time. :)

It sounds like the thread-starter isn't looking to hit mid 400's, though. I would think with all the bolt-ons, he'd be within a couple of horses to an '01 Z06 for about $2,300 with headers, an intake manifold, CAI and a dyno tune.

99torchredlb 03-15-2007 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by kilrb (Post 1559381589)
I don't know that I'd go as far as to say that you'd be spending Z06 money to get to Z06 perfomance level... I bought my FRC for a minimum of $4k less than a comparbly used Z06, and I have put just a tad more than that into my heads/cam/headers/intake/etc, and I'm going to be well above a stock 355whp Z06 in terms of power (I'd better be; I'm in the final stages of putting it back together). I'm not trying to talk smack, or anything, just saying that you can make a 450 whp FRC for about what you'd spend on a Z06 (I'm aiming for 415-420 with a medium sized cam). You are right, though, that my FRC will be worth a FRC price, and I'll be either de-modding, or losing my shirt when I sell, but I plan to keep this baby for a long time. :)

It sounds like the thread-starter isn't looking to hit mid 400's, though. I would think with all the bolt-ons, he'd be within a couple of horses to an '01 Z06 for about $2,300 with headers, an intake manifold, CAI and a dyno tune.

Thats exactly what I need and I just love when some Z06 pull next to me and hardly give me a look until that here my little old red FRC. Than all they want me to do is pull over and see what I have done to it.:D

QKSLVRZ 03-16-2007 02:32 PM

The only thing I'll add is that the 02 Z06's have the advanced Active Handling stock, and you mentioned that either a FRC or a Z06 would be above your limits.

AH is probably worth the difference if you take into account how quick these cars can get away from you, and what a crash would cost.

kilrb 03-16-2007 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by QKSLVRZ (Post 1559393868)
The only thing I'll add is that the 02 Z06's have the advanced Active Handling stock, and you mentioned that either a FRC or a Z06 would be above your limits.

AH is probably worth the difference if you take into account how quick these cars can get away from you, and what a crash would cost.

I agree 100%!

When I bought my FRC, I didn't care whether it had active handling or not, and it just so happened to have it. Now that I have driven the car for a while, I am soooooo glad it has it. Even in stock trim, this bad boy can get squirrely on you, and with another 100 horses, it's only going to get worse. If I were in the market again, active handling would be on the "must have" list along with an M6...

ajg1915 03-17-2007 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by QKSLVRZ (Post 1559393868)

If you are going to do some high HP mods to your car than AH is worthless as it was never programmed into the car for that use. AH is good in bad weather if you happen to use your vette as a daily driver, but if you are going to mod to 600 HP I don't think it is worth it.

I have driven cars with and without AH. I find the one's without AH to be less jerky when I get on it.