CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   Oil Catch Can Question... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/1561103-oil-catch-can-question.html)

briann510 12-12-2006 08:46 PM

Yes, but any oil thats collected in a catch can is oil that aint getting to my intake.

Robert@Advanced Dyno 12-12-2006 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by briann510 (Post 1558081241)
Yes, but any oil thats collected in a catch can is oil that aint getting to my intake.

still is not perfect though

Robert@Advanced Dyno 12-12-2006 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man (Post 1558059989)
I think it's safe to say the vast majority of us here use the DIC oil life monitor to some extent :cheers:

well dan you know as well as I do that when you let your DIC do all the thinking things dont always turn out for the best:cheers:

Dan_the_C5_Man 12-12-2006 10:53 PM

That's true!! :D

I de-installed my E.E. catch-can to bend the bracket, effectively solving the "pinched water hose" issue (worked out great BTW, the can now hovers between the two hoses, with about 1/2" clearance, perfect); when I checked the inside of the intake tube, sure enough it was damp with oil, BUT I had quite a bit in the bottom of the can.

So not perfect, but a lot better than nothing (IF you don't want to eliminate the PCV system altogether, or course). :cheers:

Dirty Howie 12-12-2006 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man (Post 1558083415)
That's true!! :D

I de-installed my E.E. catch-can to bend the bracket, effectively solving the "pinched water hose" issue (worked out great BTW, the can now hovers between the two hoses, with about 1/2" clearance, perfect); when I checked the inside of the intake tube, sure enough it was damp with oil, BUT I had quite a bit in the bottom of the can.

So not perfect, but a lot better than nothing (IF you don't want to eliminate the PCV system altogether, or course). :cheers:

Paper feul filter after the catch can.......

:cheers:
DH

SLPRC5 12-17-2006 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie (Post 1558083921)
Paper feul filter after the catch can.......

DH

So DH, you saying install a paper fuel filter between coming out of the catch can into the TB and that should trap the mositure that may get pass the catch can? Sounds good to me, worth a try.

BTW, I removed mt "T" line hoses and went with a the hose from the PVC on the passenger side to the top of the catch can and placed the hose coming from the valve cover to the TB.
SLPRC5

Dave68 12-18-2006 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by Warp Factor (Post 1558080287)
Sorry, I have to put this up every 50th catch can thread or so.

http://www.provide.net/~violins/Bud.jpg

Seriously, the only way to eliminate all liquid in the intake manifold is to vent the crankcase to the atmosphere.

The liquid in the intake consists of two components:
Oil, which is in droplet form, and can be mostly eliminated with a coalescing filter.
True vapor, which can only be distilled or condensed.

No matter how good your catch can, it will run warm, and most vapor will go through. Vapor from blowby (unburned fuel) will bypass it and condense on the cooler intake manifold surfaces. Some of what acculates in the intake is oil, and some is combustion blowby condensate.
Eliminating the oil mist will not keep your intake from get wet.

This is why the best mounting position for a true coalescing filter is in the coolest area. And I've mentioned a few times that stainless steel mesh is not the best solution when it's oil and water aerosols that you are trying to trap. Get a true coalescing filter that is designed for low flow/low pressure and forget about paper filters. You can find more in-depth info here:

http://www.conceptualpolymer.com/corvette_c5_corner.htm

Dave

briann510 12-18-2006 04:22 AM

Run a paper filter after the can and it will be restrict flow real quick when it gets moist or oily and be just liek a smashed hose.. No thanks. You want perfect get rid of the pcv system all together like I did on 2 of my other race cars.

SLPRC5 12-18-2006 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by briann510 (Post 1558149656)
Run a paper filter after the can and it will be restrict flow real quick when it gets moist or oily and be just liek a smashed hose.. No thanks. You want perfect get rid of the pcv system all together like I did on 2 of my other race cars.

Just want to monitor to see if or how much oil is still going to the TB. It is a "see-through" filter, will be able to tell when it's time to change.
On the other hand; how do you eliminate the OVC and will it pass a visual at a smog test?

Dirty Howie 12-18-2006 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by briann510 (Post 1558149656)

Actually I have already done the paper feul filters on both lines before. They don't clog (as I check them by blowing thr line) real fast at all, unless you are at the track.

DH

Dirty Howie 12-18-2006 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dave68 (Post 1558149465)
This is why the best mounting position for a true coalescing filter is in the coolest area. And I've mentioned a few times that stainless steel mesh is not the best solution when it's oil and water aerosols that you are trying to trap. Get a true coalescing filter that is designed for low flow/low pressure and forget about paper filters. You can find more in-depth info here:

http://www.conceptualpolymer.com/corvette_c5_corner.htm

Dave

Dave

If you are done with your shake down testing please advise. Maybe you can PM me some $$$ figures and I will try it out on my setup :thumbs:

DH