CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   GM is Shifting the Corvette Team over to its EV Program (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4439456-gm-is-shifting-the-corvette-team-over-to-its-ev-program.html)

VetteVinnie 08-28-2020 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by jim2527 (Post 1602087448)
Not sure why everyone says, "Tesla will finally have competition". My work parking lot is littered with Teslas, Porsches, S-Class Benzs etc. No Corvettes. To those owners, Corvettes are considered a poor mans car, or a car for people who haven't 'made it'. They're not a sign of 'success'.

Sure, there are Tesla owners that own Corvettes, but from a big picture perspective....eh.

What are you talking about? That is probably one of the most naive, pretentious things I've read here in a long time. There are Corvettes that cost considerably more than Teslas. My ZR1 originally stickered for $123K, and they were getting "market adjustments" for them also. C8 Corvettes are going for over $100K. Corvette a "poor man's car"? LMAO! :lol:

In fact, I just looked up the Model Y. It costs around the same as what I paid for my GMC Acadia (taking incentives into account). It seems to me that Tesla is becoming the "poor man's" electric vehicle. And Corvettes are rarely the primary vehicle. We own four vehicles. Hell, my wife's Jaguar cost more than a comparable Tesla, and with its diesel engine, it's more energy efficient. Of course, there are more expensive Tesla models (X, S), but to lump all Tesla owners into one category is the same as lumping all Corvettes. But, whatever.

jimmyb 08-28-2020 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Palmer (Post 1602082558)
Updated the article. GM called us to clarify that "the same team that’s already working on the Corvette will finish all current projects. Presumably, this means the Z06 and ZR1 and any other crazy edition we know is coming. It’s just that the Corvette team is ALSO working under this new direction."

You should UPDATE the thread title also....

RKCRLR 08-28-2020 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by jimmyb (Post 1602087543)
This is all just great...where are the power companies on this? Certainly, PG&E will NOT be able to handle this increased need (they had rolling blackouts last week because of hot weather...hmmm...hot weather in California in the summer....who knew?), how about the others?
No doubt car makers can MAKE electric cars...can we keep them charged?

California is pushing micro grids with solar and batteries.
There is a program called the Self Generation Incentive Program (SGIP). I got two "free" Tesla Powerwalls installed because I live in an area subject to Public Safety Power Shutdowns due to wildfire risk where I live and relying on an electric well for water.
The idea is you have a solar power generation system sized to meet your total annual power consumption. Excess power is sent to the grid during the summer for credit. You draw your excess power back at night and in the winter but are charged at a higher rate than you were credited as a storage fee.
Part of the agreement for the batteries is to use them in a certain manner and allow the utility (actually Tesla) to control them when necessary. I also have to go on a specific Tier rate with significantly higher charges during peak times but significantly lower costs during late night hours. During peak hours my house runs off the batteries and the excess solar generation goes to the grid when the power is most needed. People with electric vehicles charge them during the late night hours when the power is cheap. The whole idea is to lessen the peak loads on the grid.
For me, the major benefit is I can go without grid power indefinitely in the summer when the power is shut off. I run off the batteries at night and the solar recharges them during the day.

john91498 08-28-2020 12:04 PM

I can't wait for the E-Vette

Kodiak Bear 08-28-2020 12:09 PM

"The same team that’s already working on the Corvette will finish all current projects.

Ken Morris, Vice President of Autonomous and Electric Vehicle Programs, said, “General Motors is committed to an all-electric future. I’m excited to be putting the team that redefined supercar performance, design and attainability in key roles to help us integrate and execute our EVs to those same high standards.”

In practical terms, the shift will see Tadge Juechter stay on as the Executive Chief Engineer for Global Corvette. He has been involved with the Corvette program for its past three generations. Ed Piatek, the Corvette Chief Engineer will have a new role and title: Chief Engineer - Future Product. Finally, Josh Holder is being named Chief Engineer for Global Corvette, taking Piatek's place."

IMO, given that the org change is effective Sept 1, there's a real pressure to "finish all current projects". Morris is going to want those engineers on his org chart working on EVs. And he's not going to want those engineers pulled back to deal with issues on their past C8 projects. So, what does "finish all current projects" mean? What are the projects and what is the time frame for those projects? Please note their task is NOT to develop a C9 under Morris but to "integrate and execute our EVs to those same high standards" What no one has explained to me is what independence will the various product lines retain once the transition is made to the EV platforms. Common drive train? Common platforms? New product lines?

Second, the guy who is key to the C9 at present is Ed Piatek Chief Engineer - Future Product .

Third, it is common in the life of the Corvette for the engineering and design team to be reduced in size once the new generation is established and until another new generation becomes an official program. How does this move differ from previous evolutions?

Lastly, at presentGeneral Motors is committed to an all-electric future".

Baldilocks 08-28-2020 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by jim2527 (Post 1602087500)
Nice post 59 How clueless could they be when they've figured out how to earn that much disposable income?

Just because someone has a higher disposable income, doesn't mean they suddenly are experts at buying automobiles. Tesla's build quality is horrendous and German cars are always plagued with problems - i know, I own a couple of them.

And what does 59 posts have to do with anything? It could have been my first post and it would still ring true.

Suns_PSD 08-28-2020 12:17 PM

Anyone that has spent any time in a modern EV understands why this is a wise decision.

I don't care if gasoline cost 79 cents, EV just is better in several ways with a few admitted Cons that will mostly be gone as soon as newer lightweight/ more enviro friendly batteries are worked out in the next couple of years.

One thing I really dig is even the DCT trans have some 'automatic' trans delay as the engine works to get in to the powerband whereas EV's do a better job at mimicking that instantaneous response that a perfectly timed and selected manual shift can create. Once manuals went away in the Corvette, I knew the ICE was essentially dead to me. With an auto trans, really how is the driving experience any different (besides being slower, noisier, needing fuel stops, less storage, higher CoG, less ideal suspension geo, etc.) than a properly designed sporting EV?

Very soon, EV's will have everything up on ICE engines.

VetteVinnie 08-28-2020 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Baldilocks (Post 1602088174)
Just because someone has a higher disposable income, doesn't mean they suddenly are experts at buying automobiles. Tesla's build quality is horrendous and German cars are always plagued with problems - i know, I own a couple of them.

And what does 59 posts have to do with anything? It could have been my first post and it would still ring true.

When we were shopping for my wife's daily driver, we looked at BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Lexus, Infinity, and ultimately ended up custom-ordering a Jaguar XE R-Sport with the diesel engine (a diesel R-Sport is rare - most go for the V6), I have friends who own Mercedes and BMWs and have nothing but problems with them. Hell, even the Jaguar has been in twice for vacuum actuated motor mounts in less than 36K miles. My Acadia, on the other hand, has almost 60K trouble-free miles.

I fondly recall that when the water pump went out on her Lexus, I popped the fancy covers and found the Toyota engine underneath. It was very easy to work on. I shudder to think what happens with her Jaguar once it's out of warranty. My long-time body shop won't work on it, either, because Jaguar won't sell them the parts. So this car may be a one and done once she gets tired of it. Her Lexus IS-350, on the other hand, is still with us. She's letting her mother use it, but I still maintain it.

Side note, I took a long hard look at that Tesla truck when it was announced, but my wife said "NO!". She works in the oil and gas industry, so she has a vested interest in me driving gas guzzlers. :thumbs:

Baldilocks 08-28-2020 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD (Post 1602088213)
Anyone that has spent any time in a modern EV understands why this is a wise decision.

I don't care if gasoline cost 79 cents, EV just is better in several ways with a few admitted Cons that will mostly be gone as soon as newer lightweight/ more enviro friendly batteries are worked out in the next couple of years.

One thing I really dig is even the DCT trans have some 'automatic' trans delay as the engine works to get in to the powerband whereas EV's do a better job at mimicking that instantaneous response that a perfectly timed and selected manual shift can create. Once manuals went away in the Corvette, I knew the ICE was essentially dead to me. With an auto trans, really how is the driving experience any different (besides being slower, noisier, needing fuel stops, less storage, higher CoG, less ideal suspension geo, etc.) than a properly designed sporting EV?

...except the sound and character. Sound is what makes driving great cars fun. You don't get that in a mostly silent car.

Kent1999 08-28-2020 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Tom A. (Post 1602083079)
....and then they'll take it higher!

Oh no!

SouthernSon 08-28-2020 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by jim2527 (Post 1602087448)
Not sure why everyone says, "Tesla will finally have competition". My work parking lot is littered with Teslas, Porsches, S-Class Benzs etc. No Corvettes. To those owners, Corvettes are considered a poor mans car, or a car for people who haven't 'made it'. They're not a sign of 'success'.

Sure, there are Tesla owners that own Corvettes, but from a big picture perspective....eh.

The two most expensive vehicles I have bought are an S550 and a ZR1; Merz was a little over a $100K, the ZR1 beat it by $30K. BTW, when people see me in my lowly C4 they have no idea I have 3 vettes. Actually, the masses are somewhat ignorant of vette owners in general. Almost everyone of my friends with vettes have more than 1, some have many more than only 1. Quite a few of them know how to drive very well, too.

Kent1999 08-28-2020 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD (Post 1602088213)

Uh huh. Perhaps you've glanced at the news occasionally in the past years? Power grid problems are pervasive. Forced brown-outs all over CA.

Where is all this new power coming from to charge all those EV's, when we can't even keep up with existing electric demands?

You think new powerplants and updated city power grids spring up overnight? That is billions of dollars and quite literally many decades worth of work. Where will all that money come from, with most highly populated states already on the brink of bankruptcy, and begging for federal bailouts due to dozens of years of mismanagement? Oh I know! More taxes!

And yeah sure... "the new miracle fast-charging, 1,000 mile batteries are right around the corner!". We've been hearing that for decades too. I remember first reading about that fantastic claim in the 1970's (almost 50 years ago), so you'll forgive me if I am more than just a little skeptical of that "breakthrough" being "right around the corner".

ETA: Your statement that ICE is worse than EV because ICE needs "fuel stops", implying that EV's don't. Is that part of the Miracle Batteries -- they never need recharging?

Eric 1988 08-28-2020 01:16 PM

GM - glad to see your getting in the game. 0-60 in 2 seconds. Tesla or gm?

Originally Posted by Palmer (Post 1602082184)

I remember in the 70's when everyone hated electronic advances and it was harder for an owner to do his own car repairs. I never hear anyone say they miss the days when you changed spark plugs twice a year or your car almost made it to 100k miles. Kids don't even know what window cranks are. 0-60 2 seconds at corvette type competitive prices - GM may survive in the future - at least they are trying. I love the v8 sound and hope it's an optional sound I can buy. I should be able to choose 2019 dual note exhaust or 70 chevelle with headers among the thousand of selectable sounds. Can't wait. In the mean time - c8 is there a better value?

RKCRLR 08-28-2020 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Baldilocks (Post 1602088345)
...except the sound and character. Sound is what makes driving great cars fun. You don't get that in a mostly silent car.

The sound is a learned thing associated with experiences in high performance cars. Once the older generations that have this association are gone the newer generations will have different associations. I could learn to associate some kind of sound that only comes from high performance electric vehicles with something that has character.

Eric 1988 08-28-2020 01:21 PM

GM - glad to see your getting in the game. 0-60 in 2 seconds. Tesla or gm?

Originally Posted by Palmer (Post 1602082184)

I remember in the 70's when everyone hated electronic advances and it was harder for an owner to do his own car repairs. I never hear anyone say they miss the days when you changed spark plugs twice a year or your car almost made it to 100k miles. Kids don't even know what window cranks are. 0-60 2 seconds at corvette type competitive prices - GM may survive in the future - at least they are trying. I love the v8 sound and hope it's an optional sound I can buy. I should be able to choose 2019 dual note exhaust or 70 chevelle with headers among the thousand of selectable sounds. Can't wait. In the mean time - c8 is there a better value?

klavrack 08-28-2020 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by y2kvett (Post 1602082576)
Sell your GM stock. I and many others will NEVER buy an electric Corvette. They will lose the performance market as well as all the rest of vehicle markets.

Right, because Tesla is proving that there's no market appetite for EVs. /s

DebRedZR1 08-28-2020 01:25 PM

:topicclosed:This thread has become everything but C8 related and filled with much speculation. Take it to OTHER Cars