CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Tire Dress up? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/1106418-tire-dress-up.html)

Thanos 06-05-2005 04:44 PM

Tire Dress up?

Just wondering what you guys/gals use for tire dress up? I was using Armor-all on my 05 G35 sport coupe and I noticed some slight cracks in the sidewall already( I was told armor-all & other brands can dry rot the tires) At $505/ tire on my C6 i dont want this happening.

C6 Girl 06-05-2005 04:48 PM

I use Black Magic Tire Wet. My BF used it on his '99 Saleen and never had a problem w/ it. ;)

hlcptr 06-05-2005 04:55 PM

I like Turtle Wax Tire Wax. Not a spray, so no mess and no slinging. Not super glossy, just a good matte finish.

shopdog 06-05-2005 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Thanos
Just wondering what you guys/gals use for tire dress up? I was using Armor-all on my 05 G35 sport coupe and I noticed some slight cracks in the sidewall already( iwas was told armor-all & other brands can dry rot the tires) At $505/ tire on my C6 i dont want this happening.

Soap and water.

Corvette Junkie 06-05-2005 05:04 PM

Zaino tire gloss.

prs62 06-05-2005 05:12 PM

I use Poor Boy's Natural Look. It gives the tires a natural matte finish that looks :cool:

surburban99 06-05-2005 06:01 PM

Meguiars Hot Shine Tire Spray.

Wet look, will stay on for weeks.

:thumbs:

Crystal Vette 06-05-2005 06:10 PM

soap and water

SCModerator 06-05-2005 06:49 PM

I just clean them with soap and water and a brush and let 'em go. In my experience, most of the tire shine products turn the tires a brown color after a while.

Gregg.

crabman 06-05-2005 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by surburban99
Meguiars Hot Shine Tire Spray.

Wet look, will stay on for weeks.

:thumbs:

Yep, never saw a tire shine product last so long. Usually need to reapply every wash with the armorall. That stuff goes several washes.

BIGGGIE 06-05-2005 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Corvette Junkie
Zaino tire gloss.

:iagree:

b4i4getit 06-05-2005 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Thanos
Just wondering what you guys/gals use for tire dress up? I was using Armor-all on my 05 G35 sport coupe and I noticed some slight cracks in the sidewall already( I was told armor-all & other brands can dry rot the tires) At $505/ tire on my C6 i dont want this happening.

I think that any product that contains petroleum distillates will be a problem with frequent use. I used to use a silicon based product on a previous car with good results however I don't know if long term use would have been a problem.

no$4vette 06-05-2005 07:52 PM

Meguiars Endurance Tire Gel. I have tried alot of tire sprays and nothing compares to the tire gel. It lasts for weeks and many car washes and you wipe it on. No overspray! and it will not turn your tires brown. It also smells really good. :D

greengo 06-05-2005 08:11 PM

Ive tried them all on different vehicle and there is absolutely none better than Zaino's tire gloss....

tjfontaine 06-05-2005 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by crabman
Yep, never saw a tire shine product last so long. Usually need to reapply every wash with the armorall. That stuff goes several washes.

Buckeye guy 06-05-2005 09:10 PM

I saw a guy use motor oil on his tires this weekend. Take your pick 5-W30 or 10W-40.

flyzlow 06-05-2005 10:44 PM

I used motor oil too!

:) That's what a lot of us older enthusiasts did before there was Armor all, etc. Then something called tire black came out. I also remember buying the white tire chalking sticks to make our tire lettering stand out. Then the manufacturers started making raised white letter tires. Man, I'm getting old!!

VITIS 06-05-2005 10:51 PM

Zaino tire gloss.

I've been using this product for a while. I'm seeing some browning, now. Not real impressed with this Zaino product.

coolcat 06-06-2005 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by C6 Girl
I use Black Magic Tire Wet. My BF used it on his '99 Saleen and never had a problem w/ it. ;)

I also use Black Magic Tire Wet and have not had tire cracking problems. Nothing looks worse than a washed and waxed C6 with dull tires. :ack:

Guitarstar 06-06-2005 01:45 PM

I use the green stuff that use to be called 2001 now its called something like Turtle wax FT1 it works great & no slinging on the vehicle once dry. All that clear stuff does not stick to the tire & gets all over the car. Eagle one, Black magic, Tire wet, mcguires clear all junk.

fts 06-06-2005 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by greengo
Ive tried them all on different vehicle and there is absolutely none better than Zaino's tire gloss....

:iagree: It is great stuff!!!

U2bassAce 06-06-2005 01:50 PM

303 protectant for sure. Blows everything else away!! :cheers:

bz94z28 06-06-2005 01:52 PM

Formula 2001 in green bottle........tried them all....this is the best I have found so far....not greasy, doesn't fling on fenders, lasts long, won't brown the tires!

gallenl 06-06-2005 07:50 PM

Zaino tire stuff - 2 coats.

JFTaylor 06-06-2005 08:25 PM

Zaino tire gloss.

That stuff SUX :ack: Sorry Turtle wax Spray :thumbs:

1carguy 06-06-2005 09:14 PM

tire dressing

I use either Zaino or Mequiars NXT tire spray. Probably like the NXT the best as it is easiest to apply.

Force-1 06-06-2005 09:47 PM

I use Griot's Garage tire dressing and also use these wheel shieldsfor no mess application. I have the 17" and 18" versions--now that I have my new Vette I need a 19" version, and can't find it! :(

Force-1 06-06-2005 09:48 PM

I use Griot's Garage tire dressing and also use these wheel shields for no mess application. I have the 17" and 18" versions--now that I have my new Vette I need a 19" version, and can't find it! :(

06-06-2005 09:51 PM

I have used a good grade of silicone spray ( make sure that it states that is safe for plastics) and let it soak for a few minutes. Rub it off with a clean cloth and it leaves a nice dark finish which lasts and doesn't become a dust magnet (the first time you need to probably apply it twice).

Buckeye guy 06-06-2005 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Guitarstar
I use the green stuff that use to be called 2001 now its called something like Turtle wax FT1 it works great & no slinging on the vehicle once dry. All that clear stuff does not stick to the tire & gets all over the car. Eagle one, Black magic, Tire wet, mcguires clear all junk.

Yep they fly all over the fenders and side of the car. I don't put this stuff on until I get to the car shows.

lager99 06-06-2005 09:59 PM

Zaino's tire dressing is by far the best; no fling.

crabman 06-06-2005 10:14 PM

I always put this stuff on before I wash my car. Never had any flinging that way.

drtli 06-07-2005 12:14 AM

Zaino tire gloss.

Guitarstar 06-07-2005 12:29 AM

Okay heres the deal... This weekend everyone take a Pic & Post it. Before driving & after driving.
Saturday night 11:pm PST the winner will be declared by all of us.
RULES: Do not wipe down your wheel wells after driving:cool:

bugman 06-07-2005 12:45 AM

My own two cents: have tried many things over the years. Definitely would not put armor all on my tires though. I want a spray that lasts and doesn't have fling. The Meguiars gel is nice, but not as convenient as a spray. Need a spray.

Meguiars NXT Generation Insane shine tire spray.
  • costs $7.
  • has excellent spray nozzle so it only goes where you want it to go, don't get any on the wheels.
  • lasts through rain, several weeks.
  • ABSOLUTELY no fling at all.
I don't think it really holds up through serial washings, but I like it for all of the other above.

AMGPilot 06-07-2005 01:10 AM

I use the Dupont Teflon Tire Shine. It dries to the touch as well and doesn't sling off.

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/Ima...%5C8183204.jpg

JFTaylor 06-07-2005 05:40 AM

Fling?

Originally Posted by lager99
Zaino's tire dressing is by far the best; no fling.

Lager - thought you were into Flings? :D

JFTaylor 06-07-2005 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by crabman
I always put this stuff on before I wash my car. Never had any flinging that way.

Damn Crab - super idea. Never crossed my mind. I'm doing it. Thanks man. :thumbs:

lager99 06-07-2005 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by JFTaylor
Lager - thought you were into Flings? :D

Sure, but not on my car...clean up's a bitch. :D

MitchAlsup 06-07-2005 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Harley_Vet
soap and water

And a stiff brissled brush.

Crazy Cowboy 06-07-2005 01:10 PM

Dog pee :lol: No, really, Tire Wet works well.

elmagoo 06-07-2005 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by bugman
My own two cents: have tried many things over the years. Definitely would not put armor all on my tires though. I want a spray that lasts and doesn't have fling. The Meguiars gel is nice, but not as convenient as a spray. Need a spray.

Meguiars NXT Generation Insane shine tire spray.
  • costs $7.
  • has excellent spray nozzle so it only goes where you want it to go, don't get any on the wheels.
  • lasts through rain, several weeks.
  • ABSOLUTELY no fling at all.
I don't think it really holds up through serial washings, but I like it for all of the other above.

It all depends upon what you're looking for. If you like really shiney wet looking tires, this product produces the best shine I've seen yet.

There are also a ton of products out there that advertise 'no fling'. The key is to apply the product and then let the car sit for like 15 - 30 minutes before you go anywhere. This will allow any residue to dry and you won't get any fling.

The only thing I don't like about the spray so far is that it gets onto the body of the car, even if you spray in the garage with the door closed so there's no breeze. If you look really close around the quarter panel you'll see all these little specs (I have a black car so hence it shows up really easily). So another tip is after you've washed and dried the car, spray the tires with the dressing first and then run your quick detail spray afterwards over the car (Z6 for Zaino, NXT quick detailer for Meguiars, or Sonus spritz for Klasse or Zaino). Doing this will allow more time for the dressing to dry, and will also get rid of the small specs that get on the body from the spray.

Firedog 06-07-2005 03:13 PM

Soap and water...

ufso 06-07-2005 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Firedog
Soap and water...

...that's a good one...yeah, right! :D

No phone call yet???

Rocketman50 06-07-2005 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by flyzlow
:) That's what a lot of us older enthusiasts did before there was Armor all, etc. Then something called tire black came out. I also remember buying the white tire chalking sticks to make our tire lettering stand out. Then the manufacturers started making raised white letter tires. Man, I'm getting old!!

We used brake fluid...

RichieRich 06-07-2005 06:31 PM

I've tried a number of products, Meguiar's gel, Turtle wax foam, 303, etc and teh problem I have with all of them is that I get that BLACK GUNK BUILDUP no matter how hard I clean the tires with dish soap or degreaser during the car wash. Once that new application of dressing goes on the applicator or paper towel is black with gunk.

Any ideas for a repeated gunk free application of one of these products? Honestly, they all look pretty good, but this is one of my pet peeves.

:toetap: :bigears

Datawiz 06-07-2005 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by coolcat
I also use Black Magic Tire Wet and have not had tire cracking problems. Nothing looks worse than a washed and waxed C6 with dull tires. :ack:

works for me too!
:cheers:

Sleddawg 06-07-2005 08:59 PM

Black Magic, wipe on with cloth. Looks great

:cool:

Lakelander 06-07-2005 09:00 PM

Zaino tire gloss.

elmagoo 06-08-2005 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by RichieRich
I've tried a number of products, Meguiar's gel, Turtle wax foam, 303, etc and teh problem I have with all of them is that I get that BLACK GUNK BUILDUP no matter how hard I clean the tires with dish soap or degreaser during the car wash. Once that new application of dressing goes on the applicator or paper towel is black with gunk.

Any ideas for a repeated gunk free application of one of these products? Honestly, they all look pretty good, but this is one of my pet peeves.

:toetap: :bigears

I'm trying a new product from michelin which is a tire / wheel cleaner (comes in a yellow bottle). They also have a spray coating you put on after cleaning the wheel that's like a wax where you can just wipe off break dust and such easily (I believe it's also supposed to repel some of the break dust). Unfortunately I just checked Michelin's site and they don't have any mention of these products, only their tires. I've only recently put the spray coating on and have rarely driven the car since, so I can't say much about how it works yet.

I just spray the tire with some cleaner and then use a Meguiars tire brush for a good scrubbing (they have both a tire and a wheel brush). I also only clean the actual tire about once a month depending upon how often I drive the car (the wheels I do with each wash). This seems to agitate and clean most of the stuff off the wheel so I never get any buildup or browning. Since I use a spray on dressing I don't have to worry about getting a dirty towel or applicator.

c64lucky 06-08-2005 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by greengo

I've tried just about everything , using Zaino now but I don't get much gloss.

Still Looking!

C64Lucky

_Nomad_ 06-08-2005 08:57 PM

I use 303 Aerospace Protectant on my tires and all exterior plastic.

bugman 06-08-2005 10:57 PM

I like 303. But I've found when I use it on exterior trim, 1 or 2 days later I see running streakmarks all down the side of my car doors. Of course I don't ever put enough on so that it would drip. But these streak marks show up nonetheless.

I guess if you use it on the exterior, you have to go back over it an hour later and wipe it down. I'm disappointed in 303 in that regard.http://www.81x.com/Authors/bugman/mi...thumbsdown.gif With other products that is not necessary.

I would hesitate to use it on my tires for the same reason -- don't you get fling off ?

It's a great product for the interior of the car.