CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Mobil 1 7500 mile ?? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/1350214-mobil-1-7500-mile.html)

y2kcorvettebob 03-30-2006 11:43 AM

Mobil 1 7500 mile ??

Has anyone tried the extended life version of mobil 1 ? What are your thoughts :lurk: ?

cenzo 03-30-2006 11:56 AM

Be careful Bob.
The 7500 is NOT Mobil 1, but a synthetic blend.
Only the original Mobil 1 and the Mobil 1 Extended Performance (15000 mi) are "full" synthetics.
Simply put, if the "1" isn't on the label, it's a blend or Dino.

pewter99 03-30-2006 12:03 PM

I have used the 15K extended....it actually lasted longer than the regular Mobil 1....IMO not enough to justify the $4 a gallon...

and before I get all the naysyaer :bs I change the oil by the DIC always at 20%....drive the car the same way etc. based on mileage I did a bit better..maybe 1000 miles.....of course YMMV and you can KMA if you don't like it :jester

Evil-Twin 03-30-2006 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by pewter99
I have used the 15K extended....it actually lasted longer than the regular Mobil 1....IMO not enough to justify the $4 a gallon...

and before I get all the naysyaer :bs I change the oil by the DIC always at 20%....drive the car the same way etc. based on mileage I did a bit better..maybe 1000 miles.....of course YMMV and you can KMA if you don't like it :jester

The oil life monitor does Not know what kind of oil you have in the motor....
Mobil extended life synthetic does not meet GM standard 4718M. Not all synthetics meet this guidline.Using a non approved oil will cause damage to the engine, and void any warranty.
It must say GM 4718M on every bottle.

This is right from the Mobil website:
Mobil 1 Extended Performance meet all the requirements for GF-4. Additionally, they exceed the requirements of API SL/CF and various ACEA (European) specifications. (Updated March 2006) .

It does not meet GM's spec, therfore will void your warranty and will cause engine damage over time.

it further states on Mobil's website that they will not be responsible for damages cause to engines where this product does not meet the manufacturers specs.

LiquidDI 03-30-2006 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Not sure the extended life Mobil meets Gm's strick guidlines.
GM standard 4718M. Not all synthetics meet this guidline.Using a non approved oil will cause damage to the engine, and void any warranty.

lol this is coming from the same company that gave us the column lock.

Evil-Twin 03-30-2006 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by LiquidDI
lol this is coming from the same company that gave us the column lock.

If you are not happy with you car, sell it. try to find a perfect car.,,,
People like you make me want to puke!
Im offering information which could save them thousands of dollars and keep their warranty intact...and you post this crap...

ben dover 03-30-2006 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by pewter99

$4/gal = pretty cheap.

ben dover 03-30-2006 01:00 PM

[QUOTE=Evil-Twin]The oil life monitor does Not know what kind of oil you have in the motor....
Mobil extended life synthetic does not meet GM standard 4718M. Not all synthetics meet this guidline.Using a non approved oil will cause damage to the engine, and void any warranty.

Mobil 1 Extended Performance meet all the requirements for GF-4. Additionally, they exceed the requirements of API SL/CF and various ACEA (European) specifications. (Updated March 2006) .

It does not meet GM's spec, therfore will void your warranty and will cause engine damage over time.

it further states on Mobil's website that they will not be responsible for damages cause to engines where this product does not meet the manufacturers specs.
[QUOTE]
:iagree: I run my oil life down to 0% - 2%, usually about 12000+ miles.

Evil-Twin 03-30-2006 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by ben dover
$4/gal = pretty cheap.

Mobil Extended Life synthetic ??? pretty cheap???
Ls/x engine pretty expensive

ORANGEBROTHERS 03-30-2006 01:03 PM

:iagree: I run my oil life down to 0% - 2%, usually about 12000+ miles.

30 -40% here then it's changed.

VolFan615 03-30-2006 01:04 PM

I don't drive that many miles a year so I just change yearly with Mobile1.

filmelf 03-30-2006 01:19 PM

Oil

I use Mobile 1, change my oil every 3000-3500 miles. The only time I care what the DIC sez is if I haven't hit the 3000-3500 mile mark and its a bad %. I Personally would never go past 25% as I consider the potential for disaster increasing with every reduction in %. I am in very heavy traffic and no matter what I change my oil. $4.00 a gallon! I wouldn't buy it can't be very good oil, synthetic or otherwise, unless its Dino. The caviot being that Mobile 1 or its equivalent synthetic is necessary for the proper performance of your Corvette.

When I buy a used Corvette; if they don't have the records and haven't used the right oil for the car I won't buy it, no matter how good the price.

That's how important the right oil is for worry free performance and extended engine life. If the oil isn't right odds are the rest of the maintance and care for the Vette was slip shod and half-assed as well.

ALLEGRO 03-30-2006 01:38 PM

http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/pict/46252302798080_0.jpg and follow your DIC

Evil-Twin 03-30-2006 01:39 PM

FYI.. most manufacturers bench test their engines for 100,000 miles , it is a bench mark.....
Ls/X engines were bench tested to 200,000 miles.....
it is a credit to sound engineering and a great product like Mobil1 synthetic...
There is no other V8 4 stroke aluminum engine in the world that produces 350 hp and regularly see 200,000 mile life cycles.

JCR 03-30-2006 05:58 PM

Change your oil every 3000 miles REGARDLESS of what the DIC says. Especially if the car is parked in an outdoor environment. The DIC cannot measure environmental conditions, condensation, salt air , air borne pollutants , suspended solids in suspension that find their way into the crankcase and acid contents in the crankcase. It just gives you best guess on a variety of engine running paramaters not always indicative of the real world . Be safe ...every 3 k max. I don't like guesswork.

rws.1 03-30-2006 06:07 PM

Manufacturers specs are designed to ensure that the car can meet the designed service life. As E-T states the LS/x are designed for 200,000 miles. Why would anyone want to put in an oil that does not meet the spec?

Evil-Twin 03-30-2006 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by JCR
Change your oil every 3000 miles REGARDLESS of what the DIC says. Especially if the car is parked in an outdoor environment. The DIC cannot measure environmental conditions, condensation, salt air , air borne pollutants , suspended solids in suspension that find their way into the crankcase and acid contents in the crankcase. It just gives you best guess on a variety of engine running paramaters not always indicative of the real world . Be safe ...every 3 k max. I don't like guesswork.

thousands of hours of testing over three years with oil test data were loaded in to a computer ... every scenario imaginable was used and actual oil test done.before the algorithms where written. GM even built a safety factor into the algorithm.. the oil life monitor is so good that in 2001 they raised the base line from 10,000 miles to 15,000 miles... Use the oil life Monitor down to 0 and you will save a few bucks and save the environment, save the whales, a stop the senseless slaughter of the seals. :smash:

BiggieBoy 03-30-2006 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by JCR

Well...with this kind of 1970's thinking, the people who sell oil will LOVE you. It's not necessary to change your Mobil 1 oil every 3000 miles. It's a waste of time, money and ofcourse oil. :eek: But, I guess if it makes you happy, do it... :lol:

sgreen4067 03-30-2006 07:39 PM

wait, your supposed to change your oil??? i have 82,000 and never change ....

only kidding i do it every 3000 and i really do have 82,000 and trouble free from day 1 and btw its a 02 vette

y2kcorvettebob 03-30-2006 08:06 PM

Okay, I guess i opened a bag of snakes. I have a cousin who owns a trucking company and has rigs that do 300.000 to 500,000 a year and they use Mobil1 exclusivly. Their SOAP samples tell them that they could get another 20,000 per oil change :lurk:

rcs128 03-30-2006 08:17 PM

thousands of hours of testing over three years with oil test data were loaded in to a computer ... every scenario imaginable was used and actual oil test done.before the algorithms where written. GM even built a safety factor into the algorithm.. the oil life monitor is so good that in 2001 they raised the base line from 10,000 miles to 15,000 miles... Use the oil life Monitor down to 0 and you will save a few bucks and save the environment, save the whales, a stop the senseless slaughter of the seals. :smash:

:iagree:
Words from the man who knows... :thumbs:

RonJ 03-30-2006 09:33 PM

.... a stop the senseless slaughter of the seals. :smash:

Don't tell me Bridget Bardot got to you ... :D

RonJ ... :cheers:

3 Z06ZR1 03-30-2006 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by BiggieBoy
Well...with this kind of 1970's thinking, the people who sell oil will LOVE you. It's not necessary to change your Mobil 1 oil every 3000 miles. It's a waste of time, money and ofcourse oil. :eek: But, I guess if it makes you happy, do it... :lol:

Oil still gets dirty no matter what oil.Filter does doesn't filter fine enough.And your oil only suspends so much dirt.It Needs changed at 3000 in my car, & Do what you want :willy: , 70's thinking was 2000. miles.

pewter99 03-30-2006 09:48 PM

$4/gal = pretty cheap.

the difference between Mobil 1 and the 15k Mobil 1 Extended life is $4.....mobil 1 is about $21 and change for the jug the extended life is like $26

pewter99 03-30-2006 10:01 PM

yeah...ok....did you not read what I said?? I know the engine doesn't know if you have monkey piss in it....I simply told of my personal experience...take what you will from that. I don't have a warranty on my car....way past that point. Don't fkin care either.....

from Mobil 1 site...

Mobil 1

Mobil 1 5W-30 is an ILSAC GF-4 energy conserving viscosity that provides excellent all season protection. This product also meets the requirements for diesel-powered vehicles where an API CF or CD oil is recommended.

Mobil 1 5W-30 is recommended for all types of modern vehicles, including high-performance turbo-charged, supercharged gasoline and multi-valve fuel injected engines found in passenger cars, SUVs, light vans and trucks.

Mobil 1 5W-30 is general purpose engine oil for all types of vehicles where a 5W-30 viscosity is recommended.

Mobil 1 is not recommended for 2-Cycle or aviation engines, unless specifically approved by the manufacturer.

As are all Mobil 1 products, it is designed to provide outstanding wear protection, maintain excellent engine cleanliness, and the performance reserve to keep engines in newer cars running smooth and clean.

Extended performance Mobil1

Mobil 1 Extended Performance engine oils are recommended for all types of modern vehicles, including high-performance turbo-charged, supercharged gasoline multi-valve fuel injected engines found in passenger cars, SUVs, light vans and trucks.

Mobil 1 Extended Performance oils provide guaranteed protection of critical engine parts for 15,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first. Excluded service includes: commercial and racing applications; frequent towing or hauling; extremely dusty or dirty conditions; or excessive idling.
If your vehicle is covered by a warranty, follow the vehicle's oil life sensor or the oil change interval recommended in your owner's manual. Proper maintenance practices, including frequently checking the oil level to ensure that the appropriate amount of oil is present, are required to ensure effective performance.

warranty info

Mobil 1 Extended Performance oils provide guaranteed protection of critical engine parts for 15,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first. Excluded service includes: commercial and racing applications; frequent towing or hauling; extremely dusty or dirty conditions; or excessive idling.
If your vehicle is covered by a warranty, follow the vehicle's oil life sensor or the oil change interval recommended in your owner's manual. Proper maintenance practices, including frequently checking the oil level to ensure that the appropriate amount of oil is present, are required to ensure effective performance

I don't see where they won't cover it....not that I am worried...

Cherry6speed 03-30-2006 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Rock'en Silver 02
Oil still gets dirty no matter what oil.Filter does doesn't filter fine enough.And your oil only suspends so much dirt.It Needs changed at 3000 in my car, & Do what you want :willy: , 70's thinking was 2000. miles.

Do you believe this guy :bs

That's where you are dead wrong Pal...Based on what you are saying GM couldn't warranty the car. How do you explain the GM warranty???? How much sense does it make to program the algorithm with 12,000 plus mile recommended oil changes if the oil is wasted at 3,000 as you suggest? Have you ever heard of oil analysis? That is how they actually KNOW when the oil is gone. THEY TEST IT...and RE-TEST IT until they determine what maintenance interval is needed. This is not about how you feel about it. It's about science. Please stop spreading :bs about synthetic oil only lasting 3,000 miles and the oil getting dirty. This is the sort of thing that ruins a credible source of information like the forum. I will get off the soapbox now :thumbs:

pewter99 03-30-2006 10:04 PM

[QUOTE=ben dover][QUOTE=Evil-Twin]Mobil extended life synthetic does not meet GM standard 4718M. It must say GM 4718M on every bottle.

QUOTE]

hmmmmm..i will agree it doesn't say GM4718 however

Does the Mobil 1 Extended Performance meet GF-4 specifications? How did the new specification impact the development of the high-endurance product line?

Mobil 1 Extended Performance contains an extra performance additive to help deliver exceptional performance and protection. This fully synthetic technology is designed specifically for longer service intervals. Appropriate viscosities of Mobil 1 Extended Performance also meet all the requirements for GF-4. Additionally, they exceed the requirements of API SL/CF and various ACEA (European) specifications. (Updated March 2006)

Cherry6speed 03-30-2006 10:09 PM

I think that is what the man said..... Let's stay on topic here

C5pilot 03-30-2006 10:40 PM

Forget the extended life oils and ask yourself if you'd ever drive past the DIC 0% mark. Just use what GM states and change it as they direct you.

How much easier can it get??? :rolleyes: Mobil1 sticker on the oil spout and a flashing blue DIC to tell you when to change it. Anyone who loses their warranty or an engine for trying anything else, deserves it.

I'll take my car to the track, beat it down to 1%, and feel good knowing GM built in a safety margin. I've got over 50K miles on my car, tons of racing included, and when the DIC says it's time, my oil still looks like the day it was poured in. And if I still had my Jeep, I'd drain it into that and put another 10k miles on it! :lol:

Groucho 03-30-2006 10:42 PM

Oh for Christ sakes!!

Ya bought a friigin Vette!!
and your worrying about a few bucks??

Yup...I know......... It's your car..buy what ya want.. :crazy:

filmelf 03-30-2006 11:30 PM

Peace of mind.

Oil: Mobile 1,

Oil change 3000-3500 miles max.

Trouble free engine that will give you the power everytime you ask for it -- Priceless!

Oh, wait! $45-$50 -- but worth it!!

JCR 03-31-2006 06:24 AM

Its not the oil breaking down.. Its the contaminates in the oil that does all the damage. There is no synthetic made on the planet that can prevent oil contamination and or elimiate microscopis abrasives. To my knowledge there is no algorithm that measures particulates in suspension. Again that Guessing factor comes into play???? No oil lasts 15 k miles because of the contamination factor. In lab conditions yes ..and in advertising it does wonders for the sales. But we are talking real world. I agree with saving the seals , but also my engine. I'm keeping it a long time. 3k for me.

BiggieBoy 03-31-2006 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Rock'en Silver 02

HUH???

Evil-Twin 03-31-2006 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by JCR
Its not the oil breaking down.. Its the contaminates in the oil that does all the damage. There is no synthetic made on the planet that can prevent oil contamination and or elimiate microscopis abrasives. To my knowledge there is no algorithm that measures particulates in suspension. Again that Guessing factor comes into play???? No oil lasts 15 k miles because of the contamination factor. In lab conditions yes ..and in advertising it does wonders for the sales. But we are talking real world. I agree with saving the seals , but also my engine. I'm keeping it a long time. 3k for me.

unless you introduce those abrasives to an LS/1. WE know exactly how abrasives cause issues, we also know the properties of Mobil1 and it's ability to suspend these internal abrasives... we test for salt spray and humidity we test for hot and cold, shear, thermal breakdown etc. we do over 100 checks of engine properties then take the oil for scientific evaluation... I just hate these types of threads....
I offer what GM offers, and some idiot is trying to get people to use inferior oil to save a few bucks.,.. hell why no get drain oil from Pep boys and put it in there...
This is an Aluminum engine which can get 200,000 miles when the proper maintenance is followed.. the GM spec is very specific. Do what you want . Pewter99 you are an AZZ. I never saw your stripes before but your advice on this issue will cause others to see reduced engine life and possible engine damage... I dont know what you do for a living but you should stick with that and leave LS/1 engine advice to someone who has been doing it for 30 years.
This crap doesn't not meet gm spec... the specs are on the website..
it also states that Mobil will not be responsible for any engine damage using this oil on engines that require a specific Manufactures spec.
This is cheap oil !!!!
Your 1000 miles extra is just pure bullsh|t like the rest of your post...
the oil monitor uses engine data not oil data to calculate oil life...
Freekin Wanker.

RonJ 03-31-2006 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by JCR

If you're talking about solid particulates like dust and sand, you're right, the computer isn't going to pick it up. That's why GM says ... "The engine oil life monitor will not detect dust in the oil. If the engine is driven in a dusty area, be sure to change the oil every 5 000 km (3,000 miles)" ... So, if you are drivng your car in sandstorms etc, sure, change your oil every 3,000 miles.

Any contamination of the oil caused by the engine will be monitored by the computer. Some of the contamination is related to temperature. If you never get the engine up to a decent temperature for a long enough period of time, condensation will lead to various problems from water/sludge build up to an increase of acids in the oil. Guess what. The computer can measure that noooooooo problem! Cold engine operation calls for a richer A/F mixture which can lead to oil dilution or excess carbon being scraped into the oil by the rings. Guess what. The computer can determine that no problem too!!! Constant load on the engine is tough on the engine as well. You don't think that a computer can monitor the load on the engine over a given period of time? Guess again!! RPM? No problem, how high, how long and how often!!

For the life of me, I can't see why people are dead set against the Engine Oil Monitor system. Sure, a few years ago, 3,000 miles was normal for an oil change. That was when engines had carburetors and conventional point type of ignition. Times have changed!! Back when 3,000 miles was the norm for changing oil, spark plugs were changed every 10,000 miles. Not too many people do their plugs at 10,000 miles nowdays!! To-day, plugs are good for 100,000 miles and I've seen some vehicles with 200,000 miles on a set of plugs!! And you can bet these people didn't change their oil every 3,000 ... <G> Good chance that you will never see 200,000 miles on your Corvette!

My point, I guess, if the company that builds and warrants the engine has a good, modern oil life monitor, developed at considerable expense, make use of the system. Conserve oil that's in the ground and stop pouring old oil on the ground!! Here endeth the lesson ..... LOL!!!

RonJ ... :cheers:

TEXHAWK0 03-31-2006 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by y2kcorvettebob
Has anyone tried the extended life version of mobil 1 ? What are your thoughts :lurk: ?

I would not spend the extra money for extended performance, but if it was already in the engine, I would not drain it out.
Even though it technically does not have the Corvette oil spec. on it, I think the only difference between regular Mobil 1, and Mobil 1 Extended Performance is that it has additional "SuperSyn" additives. However, I would not exceed the oil life monitor change interval.

I find it difficult to believe that Mobil would market an improved version of a product like Mobil 1 that would cause damage to any engine. Not all Mobil 1 containers say it meets the GM 4718 spec. Some just say it is original equipment on the Corvette and Viper.

Z06-Nomad 03-31-2006 10:37 PM

What do GM engineers know anyway... They built the LS6 and then purposely gave everyone the wrong instructions on how to maintain it... :leaving:

printmanjackson 04-01-2006 01:35 AM

Ok I got a question here. I had my oil changed a few weeks ago at the dealer and the ticket says "3000 mile Mobile 1"

What did they put in my car? They charged me $60 for the oil change.

BiggieBoy 04-01-2006 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by vintage driver
Ok I got a question here. I had my oil changed a few weeks ago at the dealer and the ticket says "3000 mile Mobile 1"

What did they put in my car? They charged me $60 for the oil change.

ONLY the dealer knows what they put in your car. $60 is pretty cheap for a Mobil 1 & filter change from a Chevy dealer. IF they used M 1, you got a pretty good deal..... :cheers:

Oh ya, they call it a 3000 mile oil change BECAUSE they want you to come back in another 3000 miles. They don't tell you a oil change w/ M 1 will last you 7500-10000 miles. :D

Jim2003 04-01-2006 09:13 AM

:iagree: The 3000 mile people are ignoring the use of modern technology and design. Come into the current century with your car maintaince philosophy. :flag:

Remo 04-01-2006 09:23 AM

Oil Obsessive

Wow - this topic is getting added to my long list of "threads we never want to see again."

Remo :cool:

TEXHAWK0 04-01-2006 05:23 PM

Just for reference, the main requirement of the GM 4718M spec. for the Corvette is better performance in high temperature/high shear environments, and lower oxidation rate, also a necessity in an engine generating high oil temperatures. These differences mandate synthetic oil because petroleum-based oils cannot meet the higher requirements. Better high temperature/high shear numbers and lower oxidation rates are characteristic of all quality synthetic oils. Practically all the name brand synthetic oils like to mention they meet the Corvette spec. even if it does not appear on the label. In fact, even the new Mobil 1 bottles do not specifically mention the GM 4718M spec.
Don't worry so much about the 4718M spec and just look for a major brand of synthetic oil meeting API SL or ILSAC GF-3 or 4, like Amsoil, Red Line, Mobil 1, Castrol Syntec, Quaker State Full Synthetic, or Havoline Synthetic to name a few.

doje 04-01-2006 08:46 PM

Only Mobile One and Always trust your DIC - Come on guys, the thing on your dash. :lol:

LS9 04-07-2006 01:04 AM

This is an Aluminum engine which can get 200,000 miles when the proper maintenance is followed.

uh-oh
mines 3/4's of the way gone :eek: