CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   C6 vs. BMW Z3? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/1453997-c6-vs-bmw-z3.html)

DRJZ1974 07-25-2006 10:51 AM

C6 vs. BMW Z3?

We recently sold our BMW Z3 to purchase an 07' c6 vert. One of the most common comments I have gotten from friends and other people I know is: "Do you still have the Z3" I tell them "No, sold it to buy this" People often respond with "Why?" I tell them that the vette is 3X the Z3 for performance, ride ect. and they act like they don't believe me or don't understand. I don't get it, I don't know if people have been watching too many James Bond movies (it was the same color as the one in the movie) or if they are saying it out of some weird spite. To drive both, you would know the Z3 is not even on the same page as the Vette (the vette is also about 25K more for the loaded vert) The wife and I are starting to get annoyed by the comments. Anyone else get comments like this when they purchased their vette?

eagles6998 07-25-2006 10:53 AM

Soo many people know nothing about cars! It amazes me!!!

CMacZ06 07-25-2006 10:56 AM

It's most likely the fact that it's a BMW. Pereception is unfortunately that BMW is a better car.

But anybody and everybody should love a Vette.:D

Driver_WT 07-25-2006 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by DRJZ1974
We recently sold our BMW Z3 to purchase an 07' c6 vert. One of the most common comments I have gotten from friends and other people I know is: "Do you still have the Z3" I tell them "No, sold it to buy this" People often respond with "Why?" I tell them that the vette is 3X the Z3 for performance, ride ect. and they act like they don't believe me or don't understand. I don't get it, I don't know if people have been watching too many James Bond movies (it was the same color as the one in the movie) or if they are saying it out of some weird spite. To drive both, you would know the Z3 is not even on the same page as the Vette (the vette is also about 25K more for the loaded vert) The wife and I are starting to get annoyed by the comments. Anyone else get comments like this when they purchased their vette?

Still have my BMW Z4 (although it is for sale). I get the same comment a lot. Some people just like the BMW more than the Corvette. Obviously the hp is much better on the Corvette, brakes are better, I would say the handling is close to equal (Z4 has Michelin PS2 tires which is cheating a little), but quality and reliability are less on the Corvette. The Corvette has been to the dealer more times in 16 months than the BMW has been in 40 months. My wife would prefer to keep the Z4.

Walt White Coupe 07-25-2006 11:02 AM

I sold a 99 Z3 Coupe that I had bought new. Loved that car and hated to see it driven away by it's new owner. But all feelings of remorse were not only eliminated but overwhelmingly replaced with the joy of owning a new C6. The two cars are in completely different classes. Was at a recent autocross event and was talking to a owner of Z3 M Coupe and told him of my move to the C6 and his first reaction was, "You moved up!" I just smiled and nodded. Car people know the difference.

ketchup 07-25-2006 11:02 AM

The people that say those comments are car snobs. They buy cars based on status. Don't worry about it. We all know you have the better car.

Zuntov 07-25-2006 11:07 AM

BMW owners are even snobs to fellow owners.

Have a friend that has an M3 and was invited to join a day drive with a Z3 club.

He claims he was snubbed by most of the Z3 members and several asked him who invited him and why he was he was driving with them.

rothchilds 07-25-2006 11:17 AM

thats what marketing will do for you. Put your latest and greatest in a popular movie, instant recognition. GM needs to severly think about using the Vette as an image builder and look for some product placements.

johnodrake 07-25-2006 11:29 AM

The unwashed will often mistake the Z3 for a Z8.

C64BC 07-25-2006 11:35 AM

yeah, the old perception vs. reality dilemma. I get that a lot..."why did you buy your vette instead of the Z4 or M3 BMW"? I'll just smile and ask...you really don't know cars do you?:leaving: it's not worth trying to educate someone who makes a statement like that, because their perception will not change.:yesnod:

Tire Guy 07-25-2006 11:36 AM

I read an article recently of a poll done on what drivers, by vehicle, are the most rude. Yep, BMW.

Not saying they all are, I just seem to notice it too.

Good friend of mine has an 05 Z4. His comment was, why would you want a Vette? Mine back was why wouldn't I want a Vette?

The Tire Guy

SH_Eng 07-25-2006 12:03 PM

We had a '97 Z3 before getting our '05 coupe. Enjoyed the Z3 but then my wife began to feel vulnerable in it because it was so small. She was afraid an 18 wheeler wouldn't see her (she didn't like looking up at their hubcaps) and run over her. Now I sometimes ask her if she'd want the BMW back instead of the C6. She always says "No way." She's addicted to the power in the C6 now, it looks "meaner" and she had more trunk space for shopping. Besides, when we belonged to a BMW club, they thought they were better than everyone else. The Corvette club we belong to now has the greatest bunch of "regular" people.

cthusker 07-25-2006 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by ketchup
The people that say those comments are car snobs. They buy cars based on status. Don't worry about it. We all know you have the better car.

:iagree: ... right on target!

Zymurgy 07-25-2006 12:07 PM

:iagree:

cthusker 07-25-2006 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by rothchilds
thats what marketing will do for you. Put your latest and greatest in a popular movie, instant recognition. GM needs to severly think about using the Vette as an image builder and look for some product placements.

Well we did have a vette in... "CARS".. :rofl:

sirgordon 07-25-2006 12:11 PM

I had an 00 M Roadster in Estoril Blue - car was sick, I was bananas over it but when my Bullmastiff grew to large for it I got myself an M5. After a year with that car I decided i couldnt drive a sedan any longer. I absolutely required a convertible. I could have gone back to any of the bmw roadsters, or nearly any convertible on the market for that matter. Do you know why i didn't?

I take an enormous amount of pride in buying american!!!

besides that, there isnt another car on the market that can touch the Vette as a package of performance, style and value. anyone that thinks a vette is a downgrade from a Z3, or any car, is a fool and needs to be dealt with. But I guess I'm preaching to the choir on this one.

double eagle 07-25-2006 12:35 PM

One of the most common comments I have gotten from friends and other people I know is: "Do you still have the Z3" I tell them "No, sold it to buy this" People often respond with "Why?"

Similar experience when I sold my '04 330Ci for the C6 last year.

C2Jeff 07-25-2006 12:49 PM

There seem to be two camps of thought: Those who don't know squat about cars and have built-in prejudices against Vettes, and those who do know about cars and understand what a great-performing car it is regardless of price. In the former category are people who think Vette owners are all middle-aged, balding, fat men who wear lots of gold chains and pinkie rings and smoke fat cigars. Some of us may be but that does not define the car. There are also those people who don't accept it as a great car because it has a fiberglass body. That prejudice is losing ground lately due to the fact that carbon fiber is considered an exotic material and it is not so different from fiberglass.

Some people won't be impressed by a Vette because it is not Italian, German or English.

So, if you bought your car hoping to be the envy of everyone and to impress the world, you'll find that there are plenty of ignorant people out there who simlpy do not appreciate the Corvette and dismiss it without even giving it a good, hard look. Screw em.

falco84 07-25-2006 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Driver_WT
Still have my BMW Z4 (although it is for sale). I get the same comment a lot. Some people just like the BMW more than the Corvette. Obviously the hp is much better on the Corvette, brakes are better, I would say the handling is close to equal (Z4 has Michelin PS2 tires which is cheating a little), but quality and reliability are less on the Corvette. The Corvette has been to the dealer more times in 16 months than the BMW has been in 40 months. My wife would prefer to keep the Z4.

It's amazing how some people have never ending troubles with corvettes while others have next to zero. I've had three corvettes since April 2003, and only one dealer visit besides oil changes. I guess I'm lucky, all the eurocars I've had and my sister and stepdad have had were the ones always busted.

Whiterock1 07-25-2006 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Zuntov

Have a friend that has an M3 and was invited to join a day drive with a Z3 club.

He claims he was snubbed by most of the Z3 members and several asked him who invited him and why he was he was driving with them.

You have to be kidding!!! The M3 (late model) is three times the car the Z3 is. And the Vette is twice the car the M3 is--although a completely different class/type of car. Z3 and Z4s are very pretty, well made cars, imo, but hardly high performance sports cars. They are very pleasant GTs. (The M models will improve that, by the first articles I've read, but still won't run with Vettes.) The best car in that class is the XK8--not the new Taurus crap look, but the first one. Absolutely gorgeous, but no sports car--not even the XKR. Just a painfully beautiful GT.

Walt White Coupe 07-25-2006 12:55 PM

I've had many more problems with my BMW's than my C6.
(99 Z3 Coupe:sold, 01 3 series wagon)

JohnnyB51 07-25-2006 12:57 PM

People often respond with "Why?"

I'd just tell them "If you knew anything at all about cars, you'd know 'why?' ".

I also question the realibility of a BMW over a Vette.

djfullshred 07-25-2006 12:58 PM

True that. Some people buy a car because they know all about cars & how different models compare in the real world, and some people buy a car because it has a brand name, flashy commercials, and they have the "I've arrived" status symbol. Maybe some people just like the slogans. Ultimate Driving Machine - pretty cool slogan! :lol:

Dueysan 07-25-2006 01:03 PM

The BMW Z3 is a joke. When I read the title to the thread I thought it was gonna be a teaser which it was! Sneaky bastard! :lol:

The Z3 is a cute girl's car that's it and has some serious flaws in it's design. I'd rather own a Miata. Your right about BMW owners....snobs that think they drive to steal a term "the ultimate driving machines" Yawwwn. Just the other day saw a current gen 530i with out of state plates taking up three parking spaces at our local mall. I just laughed...does this clown think he's driving a Ferrari? Any of the offerings by Cadillac or the Japanese prestige labels are just as good, much better values, better styling too and cheaper to maintain.

DRJZ1974 07-25-2006 04:16 PM

Even my wife refers to the Z3 as a "cute" car, but she refers to the C6 as "handsome". Hahaha What guy wants to drive a "cute" car when they can drive a "handsome" one. Also, as a vette owner, we all wave at each other. When my wife and I had the Z3, no other Z3's waved. :thumbs:

FasterTraffic 07-25-2006 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by C6Jeff
There seem to be two camps of thought: Those who don't know squat about cars and have built-in prejudices against Vettes, and those who do know about cars and understand what a great-performing car it is regardless of price. In the former category are people who think Vette owners are all middle-aged, balding, fat men who wear lots of gold chains and pinkie rings and smoke fat cigars. Some of us may be but that does not define the car. There are also those people who don't accept it as a great car because it has a fiberglass body. That prejudice is losing ground lately due to the fact that carbon fiber is considered an exotic material and it is not so different from fiberglass.

Some people won't be impressed by a Vette because it is not Italian, German or English.

So, if you bought your car hoping to be the envy of everyone and to impress the world, you'll find that there are plenty of ignorant people out there who simlpy do not appreciate the Corvette and dismiss it without even giving it a good, hard look. Screw em.

There's a third camp: The Corvette-4-Lyf group. Corvette Kool-Aid drinkers. However you want to describe them, everything you stated applies, just replace "Vette" with some other sports car.

double eagle 07-25-2006 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dueysan
Your right about BMW owners....snobs that think they drive to steal a term "the ultimate driving machines" Yawwwn.

Stereotyping...I was not a snob, my friend. ;)

Horst 07-25-2006 04:46 PM

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...mmates01-1.jpg

I keep the Z-3, but I did trade in the Mustang GT

tv_dir 07-25-2006 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by rothchilds

I understand they are using a C6 in the movie version of "The A-Team"
Not yet in production, but slated for release in 2008.

Perry Mason 07-25-2006 06:39 PM

How many of us here have had multiple Vettes in our lifetimes. My C6 is my fifth Corvette. There is a reason for that! We know that a lot of people do not like Corvette owners, for some reason. I don't particularly like those driving diesel passenger cars, even though I don't know the owner personally.

Brannon 07-25-2006 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by sirgordon

I take an enormous amount of pride in buying american!!!

besides that, there isnt another car on the market that can touch the Vette as a package of performance, style and value. anyone that thinks a vette is a downgrade from a Z3, or any car, is a fool and needs to be dealt with. But I guess I'm preaching to the choir on this one.

Great reply. :thumbs: I've driven foreign cars as well, but feel great about buying and driving American. My wife sold her G35 Coupe in favor of a '05 GTO 6spd. After driving my C6 she just had to have a car with lots of torque and easy to mod. People thought she was nuts, but she couldn't care less.

CMacZ06 07-25-2006 07:02 PM

BMW's are excellent cars and most M3 owners I know (including me)aren't snobs but car enthusiasts. Now the Porsche guys, that's a completely different story.....

FasterTraffic 07-25-2006 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Perry Mason
...We know that a lot of people do not like Corvette owners, for some reason...

I have some theories...

:leaving:

GN1270 07-25-2006 08:00 PM

Corvette is perceived as an extension of the male genetalia.
BMW is perceived as an extension of the wallett.

humvet 07-25-2006 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by GN1270

I have had many a gal say that vette guys are Lounge Lizards :smiliedrool: :eek:

maxmissy 07-25-2006 09:03 PM

After buying my C5, a guy ("car guy") at work asks me "why didn't you get a porsche boxster?, they're a lot faster". I said "well,no the corvette is actually much faster". He then went on with how an RX-8 was faster, etc, etc. I finally asked if he has ever ridden in a Corvette. Well, no he hadn't. Then, his credibility went downhill farther by saying that he used to drive his MG at 120 mph. Now I happed to own an MG (fun car) but even with hurricane force tailwinds going downhill an MG might hit 100 mph.
Moral: a lot of "car guys" don't know anything. I test drove an M Z3 and it in no way measures up to a Corvette. It is a nice roadster, but for me there was no comparison. As a matter of fact, I found the Honda S2000 better than either a boxster or z3.

djfullshred 07-25-2006 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by humvet
I have had many a gal say that vette guys are Lounge Lizards :smiliedrool: :eek:

It is a funny perception. I guess I can laugh because that shoe doesn't fit me. Whatever though - redneck, overweight, bald, gold chains, midlife crisis, etc. Those stereotypes mean nada to me (none apply).

Besides, I didn't buy my Corvette to impress BMW drivers...I bought my Corvette to pass BMW drivers! :lol:

tv_dir 07-25-2006 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by GN1270

When I had the BMW Z3 I was told it is a "girlie" car.

Now I have a C6 and it is an extension:eek:

In the immortal words of Rick Nelson's Garden Party: 'ya can't please everyone so ya, gotta please yourself '

chip4 07-25-2006 09:46 PM

I too sold My Mcoupe (aka Z3M) to get my C6, I do miss driving it around and knowing that it is such a rare car (~2000 made) and it was very reliable and tight handling but I love my Vet its performance is more than enough to sway me away from my rare Krautmobile,

Vet>Z3M
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...4/P1010072.jpg

Wayne O 07-25-2006 11:47 PM

I like BMWs and drove them for 20 years or so. Although I never drove a Z8....no other BMW I have driven had near the 'thrill factor' that the C6 has. I think many still have misconceptions about the true nature of a Corvette preferring to think that any BMW is superior. Ignorance is bliss. We, however, know the truth.

humvet 07-26-2006 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Wayne O
I like BMWs and drove them for 20 years or so. Although I never drove a Z8....no other BMW I have driven had near the 'thrill factor' that the C6 has. I think many still have misconceptions about the true nature of a Corvette preferring to think that any BMW is superior. Ignorance is bliss. We, however, know the truth.

:iagree: I wish I could record your voice into a little gadget and play it back to all of my brainwashed BMW buddies when they start blathering about their little German tanks. :thumbs: :lol:

2005ArcticWhite 07-26-2006 01:35 AM

:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

Oldguychuck 07-26-2006 08:24 AM

BWM Z4M and Vette

I am new to this forum and appreciate all the opinions that have been stated on the Vette. I am in the same place as many new buyers. I have narrowed down the decision to two cars that fit my wants. They are the 07 Vette and the BWM Z4M. I like the way the little roadster handles in tight but want to buy American. I only drove an automatic Vette and in traffic as the dealer did not have a six speed and no place to "run" the Vette that day. The M roadster was taken on a twisty road with many places to push the car. The roadster was go cart fun and pulled through the turns well with 330 hp. I also like the four year warranty and parts replacement but I keep getting pulled back to the Vette. I know this is a personal decision and mine to make but has anyone on this forum had any experience with the new Z4M? There have been many comparisons between the Z4M and Boxster S but not many with the Vette.
On a country twisty road can these cars be that much different? A Vette's track times are very good but do they give you that go cart feel in the twisty corners?

StanNH 07-26-2006 08:32 AM

I owned a slightly modified 1997 Z3 2.8, traded it for a 2003 Z4 3.0/sport suspension, and that went towards my C6. I didn't really care for the Z4 all that much...I never quite connected with it...but I loved my Z3. The Z3 was 100% connected to the road and had incredible steering feedback. I still miss that car and regret having traded it for the Z4. It was crude in many ways, but a great driver's car.

The C6 is wonderful, but does not have the road feel of the Z3. It's more sophisticated, actually has a better interior and, of course, is much, much faster. The Z3 was a classic German sports car, while the C6 is much more of a touring or GT type of vehicle. Both are on my top two list as of now.:thumbs:

flaskier99 07-26-2006 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by chip4
I too sold My Mcoupe (aka Z3M) to get my C6, I do miss driving it around and knowing that it is such a rare car (~2000 made) and it was very reliable and tight handling but I love my Vet its performance is more than enough to sway me away from my rare Krautmobile,

Vet>Z3M
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...4/P1010072.jpg

I have to admit that I liked that Z3M the first time I saw it. If it would have been available, I would have had a tough decision between that car and the vette. I really liked the styling and the size of the Z3M. For me, sometimes the C6 seems too large of a car. The Z4 styling leaves me cold and I was not even tempted.

archtop 07-26-2006 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by StanNH
I owned a slightly modified 1997 Z3 2.8, traded it for a 2003 Z4 3.0/sport suspension, and that went towards my C6. I didn't really care for the Z4 all that much...I never quite connected with it...but I loved my Z3. The Z3 was 100% connected to the road and had incredible steering feedback. I still miss that car and regret having traded it for the Z4. It was crude in many ways, but a great driver's car.

The C6 is wonderful, but does not have the road feel of the Z3. It's more sophisticated, actually has a better interior and, of course, is much, much faster. The Z3 was a classic German sports car, while the C6 is much more of a touring or GT type of vehicle. Both are on my top two list as of now.:thumbs:

Right on Stan,The C6 is a great car,truly stunning and has its own merits but no one car does it "all".To me the steering feel and size of the C6 makes it less nimble and fun on twisty mountain roads than a small roadster.Nice if you can afford both!
PS GM posted a profit !:party:

HyperX 07-26-2006 01:21 PM

The media is representing GM/Chevy with bad reliability, while lifting BMW brand up on some grand stand. A buddy of mine is trading in his M5 for a Z06, and everyone is giving him crap. I am almost sure the peer pressure will make him change his mind. It's hard to understand that the Vette is setting a new standard in performance per dollar.

VetteR1 07-26-2006 01:42 PM

When I shopping around for a C6 and missed the opportunity of owning it during memorial day weekend. I saw at least 5 BMW ranging from a Z4, 325, 330, 530, M3 and a M5 being traded in for a vette. That was strange! The ultimate driving machine had a change of heart. Also, another common trade in was the 350Z. I'm glad I waited for the the next one to be made!

C2Jeff 07-26-2006 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by HyperX
The media is representing GM/Chevy with bad reliability, while lifting BMW brand up on some grand stand. A buddy of mine is trading in his M5 for a Z06, and everyone is giving him crap. I am almost sure the peer pressure will make him change his mind. It's hard to understand that the Vette is setting a new standard in performance per dollar.

There's more to a car than performance-per-dollar. Otherwise, the Subaru WRX is way more bang-for-the-buck than the C6 and yet no one would think of comparing these 2 cars.

Comparing an M5 to a Z06 is like comparing apples to tennis shoes because there really is no basis for comparison other than both being 500+ HP cars. Your friend needs to listen only to his inner self and not his so-called friends because what he seeks in a car is not necessarily what his friends seek, and what he knows about cars probably is more than what his friends know. The BMW M5 is (IMO) an unattractive car, though utilitarian with room for 5, 4 doors, lots of luxury and superb performance, but once again, it is just plain not pretty or exciting to look at. A Z06 by comparison, is a stunner, both in terms of performance and looks and excitement. But if you need the rear seat or the 4 doors, you wouldn't consider the Z06.

The original post is about the more comparable BMW, the Z3, and compares with the C6 vert, not the Z06 coupe. That's more of an apples-to-apples comparison. By just about any standard one would apply, the BMW loses the comparison. Why this thread has gone on for so long and gone so far astray is beyond me, but that's what threads tend to do. Just my 2 cents.

Big Lebowski 07-26-2006 02:32 PM

Sorry for this, but your friends either sound like snobs or retards. Not sure which makes a better friend...probably the retard.

DRJZ1974 07-26-2006 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dlinderman
Sorry for this, but your friends either sound like snobs or retards. Not sure which makes a better friend...probably the retard.

I don't mind at all, I actually laughed out loud when I read it.:rofl:

DRJZ1974 07-26-2006 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Old Chuck
I am new to this forum and appreciate all the opinions that have been stated on the Vette. I am in the same place as many new buyers. I have narrowed down the decision to two cars that fit my wants. They are the 07 Vette and the BWM Z4M. I like the way the little roadster handles in tight but want to buy American. I only drove an automatic Vette and in traffic as the dealer did not have a six speed and no place to "run" the Vette that day. The M roadster was taken on a twisty road with many places to push the car. The roadster was go cart fun and pulled through the turns well with 330 hp. I also like the four year warranty and parts replacement but I keep getting pulled back to the Vette. I know this is a personal decision and mine to make but has anyone on this forum had any experience with the new Z4M? There have been many comparisons between the Z4M and Boxster S but not many with the Vette.
On a country twisty road can these cars be that much different? A Vette's track times are very good but do they give you that go cart feel in the twisty corners?

In the only 1 week I have had my vette, I would not describe the feel as "go-cart" like. It feel when driving in the corners is (for lack of better words) much more sure, like your stuck to the road, yet very smooth. Oh yeah, and a lot of power. If you like the feel of the BMW as a go-cart feel, you might also like the Lotus Elise. I test drove one of these too. That had a very much go-cart feel to it.

DRJZ1974 07-26-2006 02:52 PM

The other thing about BMW, it seems like their options are limited. My F-150 pick-up has way more options than the loaded Z3 I just sold.

ketchup 07-26-2006 04:18 PM

The z3 didn't have many options as there wasn't really a lot of space to put anything. bmw's now have plenty of options across the model range.

vette-oholic 07-26-2006 04:25 PM

That's funny, because I say the same thing to people buying mercedes clk or something. I always wonder why they wouldn't get something better (a c6) for almost the same price... but usually most of those people buying clks, etc are not "car people"

Originally Posted by C64BC
yeah, the old perception vs. reality dilemma. I get that a lot..."why did you buy your vette instead of the Z4 or M3 BMW"? I'll just smile and ask...you really don't know cars do you?:leaving: it's not worth trying to educate someone who makes a statement like that, because their perception will not change.:yesnod:

vetteuphoria 07-26-2006 05:03 PM

I don't blame you for growing annoyed. But most comments like that come from people who know no better. They are sold on marketing schemes, image, name brands, public opinion, etc. rather than on the scrutinizing facts of each individual car based on its own merit.

We have both a C6 and Z4 (the Z4 is my wife's preference, albeit a great car). I am amazed at how many remarks we receive regarding the Z4 despite it possessing the lesser degree of performance. Some people are sold primarily on style and image (and in my wife's case, all of the aforementioned plus the ease of a single push button drop-top). If that's what people want out of a car, that's fine for them. To each his own. Trouble is for most, it can often distort their perception of what true performance is (my wife readily agrees the C6 is the performance machine, hands-down). Style, a name badge or bling skew many people's thinking to believe they have a more competent performance vehicle and it can go to their heads. Just look at how advertising can sell the public lame performance cars by using clever or exciting commercials (by no means do I imply this to regard BMW! I retain much respect for what they produce. My personal preference for the performance and the dollar goes to the C6).

DSOM SIDE-AIRBAGS 07-26-2006 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Wayne O

While the BMWs lack the torque of a C6, no GM product has/will ever match the build quality of a BMW.

:cheers:

newyiddy20 07-26-2006 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by DSOM SIDE-AIRBAGS
While the BMWs lack the torque of a C6, no GM product has/will ever match the build quality of a BMW.

:cheers:

wow........someone who finally gets it. people calling other car owners snobs and retards for owning other makes,then out the other side of their mouth saying how no other cars compares to Corvettes:crazy:

FasterTraffic 07-26-2006 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by newyiddy20
people calling other car owners snobs and retards for owning other makes,then out the other side of their mouth saying how no other cars compares to Corvettes:crazy:

Ah, the irony of it all...

:rofl: :rofl:

Oldguychuck 07-27-2006 11:03 AM

Vetteuphoria, DSOM Side- Airbgs

I appreciate your comments on both the BMW and the Vette.
Vetteuphoria, have you ever been in the Z4M with 330 hp and the M set up? I would like to see how you compare the two given the M has much more power and the cornering and braking is superior to the Z4.
I have no bias toward either car however, the owners of the Vette do seem friendler and will wave. Both cars are good lookers, both are under 5 in 0-60 and I am sure both will put a smile on your face however, the Vette with its torque gets the power nod.
DSOM Side-Airbags, do you think the BMW is that much more superior to the Vette in build quality? Given that, do you think the Vette will be in to the dealership more in the first four years then the BMW Z4M?
After reading these forums, I feel much better about buying the Vette although, I am still undecided but have to a house closing to decide.
It is rare to find a couple of folks who actually have owned or own both cars and I respect your opinion.

Whiterock1 07-27-2006 01:03 PM

Motor Trend ran the Z4M against the Boxster S last month. Of course, the Porsche won--as always in car mags. The Bimmer came out as a very nice car and $$$$ cheaper than the Boxster which was $67K!!!! I like its exterior better, although the Porsche interior appeals more to me. I also liked the style of the Z3, with the M Coupe being ugly as sin, imo, but a nice performer. That being said, dollar for dollar the Vette kicks both their butts in style, performance, ease of maintenance, and virtually every other category.

Someone mentioned a WRX as more bang for the buck than the Vette. I assume he meant the STI. I disagree. My C6 was about $12k more than an STI and beats it by a mile in every performance facet. And from a looks/equipment/reliability aspect, no contest. That being said, I'm buying one for my wife. The reason: AWD. With winter tires here in Colorado, the WRX becomes a very nice choice. On weather days when the Vette is in the garage and I'm driving to the base in my Grand Cherokee, she can use her year round car. Different strokes for different folks...

CMacZ06 07-27-2006 01:17 PM

I have driven both the Z4M coupe and roadster. Both are phenomenal cars. I prefer the looks of the coupe over anything else in its class, especially the Boxster. I wouldn't say that the feel is "go-cart" like. I would leave that to S2000's and Miata's. But it does fit more like a glove and feels like a smaller car than the Vette. They are fast as well, but nowhere close to a C6.

Another thing is you should think of BMW's M models, although expensive, are really no different than a Vette in terms of performance and bang for your buck compared to their germen brethren, AMG and Porsche(Not so much S from Audi, have four doors and they don't make true sportscars). The M6 is very well priced compared to the AMG CL models and Porsche 997 TT. The M3 is obviously very well priced compared to a 997 or AMG CLK. And the Z4M roadster and coupe are very well priced compared to the Boxster and Cayman or SLK55...

VET/TED 07-27-2006 01:53 PM

I sold a Z3 and purchased my corvette and I got the opposite responce. There is no comparison between the cars. The corvette is a true sports car while the Z3 was a nice convertable.

JNJs_CORVETTE 07-27-2006 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Zuntov

Hmmm. Sounds like a lot of Corvette owners I was around at the Lime Rock Car Corral for New England GP. Bunch of old and fat guys don't have much to say to a young guy that didn't have to wait til he was 60 to get a Vette.

I consider myself a car guy. Love my Vette but I would rather hang around F-body People. I judge 4th Gen Firebirds and put on a Pontiac Show and Go with my Brother at Virginia Motorsports Park and Cecil County Dragway. and let me tell PONTIAC people are 100x more enjoyable to be around.

My $.02

Sorry

su8pack1 07-27-2006 02:23 PM

Marketing. Hear it enough and you start to believe it. :flag:

su8pack1 07-27-2006 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by JNJs_CORVETTE
Hmmm. Sounds like a lot of Corvette owners I was around at the Lime Rock Car Corral for New England GP. Bunch of old and fat guys don't have much to say to a young guy that didn't have to wait til he was 60 to get a Vette.

I consider myself a car guy. Love my Vette but I would rather hang around F-body People. I judge 4th Gen Firebirds and put on a Pontiac Show and Go with my Brother at Virginia Motorsports Park and Cecil County Dragway. and let me tell PONTIAC people are 100x more enjoyable to be around.

My $.02

Sorry

Hay, I'm 54 and I'll talk cars with you all day. I don't care how old you are. I've been into cars since I was a kid and had, and still have many older car friends. Many of them taught me quite a lot about cars. Hopefully I have passed some of my knowledge onto some younger car nuts.:flag:

PillRoller 07-27-2006 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by CMacZ06
It's most likely the fact that it's a BMW. Pereception is unfortunately that BMW is a better car.

But anybody and everybody should love a Vette.:D

Heard a good joke the other day: Do you know the difference in between a BMW and a porcupine? With a porcupine, the pricks are on the outside!
:lol:

Ted P 07-27-2006 09:16 PM

I love my Corvette but I wouldn't mind a BMW m6 coupe in my garage. Both for appearance and great performance. To me the z4 is one ugly auto
Just my .02

vetteuphoria 07-27-2006 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Old Chuck
I appreciate your comments on both the BMW and the Vette.
Vetteuphoria, have you ever been in the Z4M with 330 hp and the M set up? I would like to see how you compare the two given the M has much more power and the cornering and braking is superior to the Z4.
I have no bias toward either car however, the owners of the Vette do seem friendler and will wave. Both cars are good lookers, both are under 5 in 0-60 and I am sure both will put a smile on your face however, the Vette with its torque gets the power nod.

Sorry to disappoint you, I have never driven the Z4M. I can't give an experiential comparison. My wife opted for the 2.5i because performance wasn't an issue for her. She was more than pleased with everything she got and felt the 2.5 was spirited enough to suit her needs (I was trying to push her into the 3.0 -- this was over a year ago). For that reason, it took me a while to warm up to the car. I did test drive the 3.0, but was distracted with the SMG paddles. But as my interest and appreciation grew. I read all sorts of literature about the rumored Z4M and even posted threads about it myself. Needless to say, the rumors and spy photos eventually gave way to reality and more concrete facts. I was excited. We seriously discussed buying the Z4M for me and anticipated its release in the spring/summer of ‘06. Obviously, that never happened because I picked up the C6 in February. No regrets :thumbs:

I will say that everything about my wife’s Z4 strikes me as quality. Period. And I believe the Z4M to be a very serious and respectable performer as are all M cars. Car&Driver June 06 published a 0-60 and ¼ mile of 4.6 and 13.2 @ 107, resp., for the M roadster. :eek: WOW! Impressive for a 3277lb car with a straight six!

The style is love it or hate it. Personally, I still find the interior somewhat disappointing. I do find less camaraderie with Z4 owners, as I only recall one Z3 owner waiving back at me. The ride in my wife’s Z4 is as stiff as my ‘03 350Z was, which was quite stiff; noticeably stiffer than my Z51 suspension. I can’t imagine what the Z4M road feel is like. I will say that my wife’s Z4 is plenty of fun and great to take on trips (especially to Monterey, Carmel, Capitola and the like where it oddly seems to be more appreciated :rolleyes: ).

For me, I know I made the right choice in choosing the C6. I get much more personal satisfaction behind the wheel. The move you made from a Z3 to the C6 is to be congratulated :cheers: I am sure you only received the questionable remarks due to their lack of automobile knowledge and the image your Z3 projected. People enjoy seeing a nice car--and don't easily accept change--even when it is for the better! Enjoy your beautiful ride and don't give it much thought. :thumbs:

But then... are you now beginning to consider the Z4M??? Whatever you do, I hope you find what brings you the most satisfaction. Both are inarguably excellent cars.

jeffyhog 07-28-2006 01:45 AM

We Harley guys have been dealing with the same "why?" for so long, Harley-Davidson finally embraced the situation as a badge of honor-

"If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand"- It is so true...

Guru_4_hire 07-28-2006 06:49 AM

Some people buy cars to go fast
Some people buy cars to get them from A to B
Some people buy cars for image

trumpet 07-28-2006 07:59 AM

I compared the Porsche Boxster S, BMW Z4M Roadster, MB SLK 350, and Z51 C6 back to back before deciding to by my '07 Z51 C6. I had a Lotus Elise at the time that I took to all the different dealers so that I could have something to compare against. Of course, handling wise the Lotus beat them all hands down. No contest. But power and comfort were a different story entirely.

I narrowed it all down to the BMW Z4 M Roadster, Porsche Boxster S, and the Z51 C6. The MB SLK 350 just did not feel like a sports car at all to me. Out of the three left, the BMW came in last in my comparison. Although, I feel it's build quality is better than a Vette, It didn't handle as well as the Z51 C6 or have anywhere near the power. I took the same corners in both cars and the BMW just would not grip the road as well as the Z51 C6. Now the Porsche is another story, it has better corner ability than either the BMW or the Vette, but it still lacked the power of the Vette. The Vette's torque is absolutely thrilling! In the end, I chose the Vette because it's overall a better performer than any other car in it's price range.

The best advice I can give is to spend a day test driving each one back to back and see for yourself.

Tom_Slick 07-29-2006 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by eagles6998
Soo many people know nothing about cars! It amazes me!!!

I had a guy @ work ask me, "So what made you buy that car?"

A test drive would answer that silly question...

Another says to me, "I didn't think you were a Corvette person"

20 plus years on the job! Cars I've had, '79 Z28, "84 Supra, '86 300ZX, '92 3 Series BMW, '97 5 series, '00 S2000 Honda...

Yet people are shocked that I bought a C6? I like sports/ performance cars.... Always wanted a 'vette since my dad bought his '75 vert! It was just a matter of time...

humvet 07-29-2006 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Guru_4_hire
Some people buy cars to go fast
Some people buy cars to get them from A to B
Some people buy cars for image

Some people choose "All of the Above" :cheers:

Stangar 07-29-2006 07:35 PM

In the only 1 week I have had my vette, I would not describe the feel as "go-cart" like. It feel when driving in the corners is (for lack of better words) much more sure, like your stuck to the road, yet very smooth. Oh yeah, and a lot of power. If you like the feel of the BMW as a go-cart feel, you might also like the Lotus Elise. I test drove one of these too. That had a very much go-cart feel to it.

I have my flame suit on. If you like "go-cart feel", . .

try a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution. Not the power of the C6 but very entertaining considering the AWD and ultra, ultra, quick steering. My .02 worth.

RacerChris 07-29-2006 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Driver_WT

What year is your Vette? My 2006 has been flawless for six months! And my 2001 C5 had only one minor problem - seat motor failure. But I hear alot of people complaining about their BMW being in the shop. There's a reason the Corvette has been at the top of JD Powers Survey!

Wayne O 07-29-2006 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
I've had many more problems with my BMW's than my C6.
(99 Z3 Coupe:sold, 01 3 series wagon)

I'll second that. I drove BMWs for over 20 years....they all had their fair share of problems.

I've also had Chevy Suburban’s that were problem-prone while my latest one has been bulletproof. For 16 months my C6 has been virtually trouble-free.

Cars are cars....sometimes there is no rhyme or reason.:)

leeman 07-30-2006 01:09 AM

C6 Vs Z4

My friend has a Z4, which is the upgrade to the Z3. It's a nice car but it's not in the same class as the C6 in performance and comfort. He drove my C6 and was ready to trade it in. I think people naturally think that if its a BMW its better. One more thing, I drove a BMW M3 the other day. Nice car too but I feel the car lacks the power I have been hearing about. It might be a 13 second car but it did not feel like it. High 13's maybe.