CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   Is the crossbar worth the money? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/187948-is-the-crossbar-worth-the-money.html)

SLOWBUSA 11-23-2001 12:04 AM

Is the crossbar worth the money?

Does the crossbar noticeably firm up the car or does it just help when the top is removed? I am not interested in the harness or camera feature. Just looking to firm up chasis and body so car doesn't shake, rattle, and vibrate so much.:U I remember seeing a shock tower brace, but have not heard if this thing worked. Does anyone have info on this product? Thanks for the help. :)

SLOWBUSA 11-23-2001 08:34 PM

Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (SLOWBUSA)

Opinions anyone? :(

mackeyred96 11-24-2001 12:22 AM

Only use is to hold a camera.

4GTWRK 11-24-2001 12:42 AM

Dean,

My opinion on this matter is bias, since I manufacture the Cross-bar, but it does make your car more rigid. There are a lot of people that will tell you that only a roll bar will solve your problem, but most of them have a roll bar and have never tried the Cross-bar. I've sold over 80 bars this past summer and every customer came back saying they could feel the difference even driving around town. I am sure you'll get some comments from several Cross-bar owners if this thread stays near the top over the week-end.

Please give me a call or email if I can answer any of your questions.

Dave Cooper
R-D Racing http://www.r-dracing.com
573-756-6954

Boo383 11-24-2001 01:07 AM

My 84 used to make popping/flexing sounds constantly, but after I installed the bar as soon as I backed out of the driveway I was in I could tell a difference! It always popped backin out of that driveway, but not anymore! The crossbar really helps to stiffen things up, and cut down on the flexing sounds caused by uneven surfaces. My 84 is still yet in desperate need of shocks so it rides horribly rough and the exhaust is quite loud and causes much resonance. After I installed the crossbar the car is now somewhat quieter at interstate speeds. I think it cut down on all the vibrations. I know that might sound crazy, but I could really tell a difference! :chevy

GS 163 11-24-2001 01:16 AM

Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (84c4)

It is money well spent in my book. With the top out and no cross bar my car would flex like a wet noodle. Now it is stiff and I can feel almost no flex. I would buy one again. That is my opinion.:)
Oh yeah, ease of installation and quality of product is top notch, and I even got a blemished bar. It looked good as new to me.

[Modified by JPLT1, 12:17 AM 11/24/2001]

vallini 11-24-2001 10:44 AM

Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (JPLT1)

If you want a stiffer chassis with the top off...GET IT. I researched the Brey Kraus, Hardbar & Arizona Speed Marine bars all of them were pricey and with the exception of the Brey-kraus only the Crossbar has the antirotating brackets (for us road racers out there). I installed mine last weekend along with the anti submarine bracket for the 5 point harnesses and I can say the quality and engineering of the kit is top notch. It looks cool and the chassis dynamics have been much improved. For the $$ it is a great chassis mod.

https://www.corvetteforum.net/c4/vallini/barrear.jpg

https://www.corvetteforum.net/c4/vallini/drvseat2.jpg

https://www.corvetteforum.net/c4/vallini/harnesspad.jpg

NASCAR314 11-24-2001 12:07 PM

Yes, it does stiffen the chassis noticeably. Had one in my 95, sold the car & bar, now have one in my 96. You can really tell the differnce when you remove it after having it in for awhile :eek: You really didn't know how flexible your Vette was until then!

Best part for me is that tall people (like myshelf) can put the seat in the full back posistion without interferance with the Cross-Bar.

Works VERY WELL! :yesnod:

Jimmy69 11-24-2001 12:57 PM

YES, YES and YES!

Night and day difference when driving with the top off.

Even with the top on, when I would cross railroad tracks the car would twist pretty bad. When I first installed the Crossbar I headed straight for the railroad tracks. Instead of twisting, I actually could feel the suspension doing the work.

Jimmy

GRX 11-24-2001 01:42 PM

This idea is good BUT it should be combined with other stiffening components throughout the frame. With only this component, you've just moved the flex to another part of the frame, IMO. :smash:

A 11-24-2001 05:15 PM

Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (vallini)

Wow. That looks really nice. It'd look pretty slick with my new black interior. Where does it mount, the shoulderbelt anchors? Does it have a camera attachment on it? How much $$$ is it?

SLOWBUSA 11-24-2001 05:57 PM

Thanks for all the replies.:D It looks like I will be getting one soon.:yesnod: DOes anyone know of any other mods besides a rollbar that will strengthen the chasis? :seeya

KNCRSR5R 11-26-2001 07:44 PM

Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (tntcorvette)

AS A CAMERA MOUNT ONLY.........COME ON......

This bar is superbly constructed, Excellent instructions are included, Very Nice Nice Paint Quality, FULL Use of your seats...And Top Storage, NO rear view sight problems whatsoever, Excellent customer service, Knowledgeable staff.

The camera monut is included......for free.....and was not the portrayed as the selling point of this item.

But thats not the GOOD STUFF. Before installing my CROSS-BAR...I consistanly ran a 00:45 sec through a particular course. After installation I was able to get that time down to a 00:41 sec time...THE FIRST RUN...after a rain storm. But lets not even talk about performance....

This bar connects at the factory monting points for the seat belt...on the "Factory Roll Bar"...the B-pillar. Anything that you add to this part of the car will affect the rigidity of the car for the better.

Bassically.....you just have to get one to beleive...YOU WILL BELEIVE! :flag

FastZR1 11-26-2001 08:08 PM

Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (KNCRSR5R)

. Before installing my CROSS-BAR...I consistanly ran a 00:45 sec through a particular course. After installation I was able to get that time down to a 00:41 sec time...THE FIRST RUN...after a rain storm. But lets not even talk about performance....
WOW, 4 Seconds.
But I yet to see a price. How much?

stroyer 11-26-2001 08:35 PM

Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (fastzr1)

Its in the forum mall. I installed one last spring in my 93 which I
autocross in SCCA Solo 2 (SS, now AS). Its an excellent bar, worth every
penny.

mackeyred96 11-26-2001 08:59 PM

Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (KNCRSR5R)

AS A CAMERA MOUNT ONLY.........COME ON......

This bar is superbly constructed, Excellent instructions are included, Very Nice Nice Paint Quality, FULL Use of your seats...And Top Storage, NO rear view sight problems whatsoever, Excellent customer service, Knowledgeable staff.

The camera monut is included......for free.....and was not the portrayed as the selling point of this item.

But thats not the GOOD STUFF. Before installing my CROSS-BAR...I consistanly ran a 00:45 sec through a particular course. After installation I was able to get that time down to a 00:41 sec time...THE FIRST RUN...after a rain storm. But lets not even talk about performance....

This bar connects at the factory monting points for the seat belt...on the "Factory Roll Bar"...the B-pillar. Anything that you add to this part of the car will affect the rigidity of the car for the better.

Bassically.....you just have to get one to beleive...YOU WILL BELEIVE! :flag
Erik, I sure they add some strength but I don't understand why anyone who races would only want to do 1/2 the job and not get a REAL roll bar.

ps, I have a 5 point roll bar.

NASCAR314 11-26-2001 09:02 PM

Click on this link: http://www.r-dracing.com
or look at R & D Racing in the Corvette Forum Mall

ex-gold87 11-26-2001 09:08 PM

Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (stroyer)

This topic really answered some of my questions about these bars. I wont even consider driving my car with the top out because it hadles like a wet dish rag. Im sold, i will be buying or building my own soon. Do most of the bars sold have a camera mount as well as fire extinguisher mount?

4GTWRK 11-26-2001 11:12 PM

. .
If we could get a GP of 4 units together, I will sell them $250 each. This will allow me to support the Forum properly and give some of you a good deal. And as always this will include the camera mount with the Cross-bar.

Give me a call or drop me an email to get on the list.

Thanks,
Dave Cooper
R-D Racing Enterprises
dcooper@r-dracing.com
573-756-6954

AS84 11-26-2001 11:54 PM

84c4-
Is your business located in Farmington? I'm a couple hours south of ya. I am interested in one, but I should wait for spring or I could add it to me christmas list :cheers:

XtremeVette 11-27-2001 12:57 AM

84C4 iam with the others..on the GP...in the springtime....sounds like a good deal to me.... for me...guess I gonna have to do my homework....i own a 1990....and see that there is two models....

anybody else interested in the springtime to go in GP with me....please post....iam talking like March or April.....

jeff

4GTWRK 11-27-2001 01:25 AM

Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (XtremeVette)

Jeff,

I guess I need to clarify myself on the GP. I was thinking more like between now and Christmas. I have several Dealers wanting to market the Cross-bar starting in the spring, so I doubt that I will be able to deal as easily then as I can now. I'll have to protect their business investment in their inventory and they might not like me underselling them. I hope everybody understands.

Dave

4GTWRK 11-27-2001 02:10 AM

Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (GRX)

Something else to get rid of the flex.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=189949

TravisD 11-27-2001 10:35 AM

Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (mackeyred96)

Erik, I sure they add some strength but I don't understand why anyone who races would only want to do 1/2 the job and not get a REAL roll bar.
ps, I have a 5 point roll bar.
In SCCA SoloII Stock classes the Harness bars are legal - as long as you're USING THEM FOR HARNESSES. At this time only bolt-in cages are legal, and they all seem to be sub-optimal from what everyone says. Weld-in cages are not legal.

Sometimes choices like this depend on what kind of racing you're doing

notbob 11-27-2001 02:56 PM

84c4,

How about a Combo Price instead for the Camber Bar & Cross-Bar?

My car won't be out of the shop till post X-Mas (early January), and I don't mind waiting for the install docs & stuff to get finished, but I'd be more interested in a cost savings for buying both bars as a strengthening thing. I wouldn't mind being on a pre-order or the the what not.
I just figure with as much more HP I'm going to be laying down strengthening the chassis might not be a bad idea.

Thanks,
Bob

ShawnZR-1 11-27-2001 04:13 PM

I'm interested in a GP. $250 sounds reasonable for a product that can stiffen up our coupes! Anyone else?

Eric Fraser 11-27-2001 04:46 PM

Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (92Shawnster)

I'm interested..

I'm interested in a GP. $250 sounds reasonable for a product that can stiffen up our coupes! Anyone else?

RED90SIXLT1 11-27-2001 07:45 PM

Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (GRX)

I agree with GSX ...All the bar is going to do is move the flex to another part of the chassis. In time you end up with bigger problems. Now, instead of the entire car flexing "a little"....a little of the car will be flexing "alot". That chassis that is sitting below the crossbar is still gonna flex. All the bar does is grab the car in the middle and pinch it. What about in front of and behind...its still gonna flex. How long has the bar been in use and are there any longterm tests that have been done?

KNCRSR5R 11-27-2001 07:59 PM

Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (RED90SIXLT1)

Ok........Mackey.......

I would LOVE to have a FULL Cage in my car....but I have never been in a situation that would totally warrent a Full Cage. My drving time consists of 70% normal driving and 30% racing. I AutoX and have been to several track days at some near by tracks. Now IF I was going to enter the vette in the CHIMNEY ROCK HILL CLIMB....then a full cage would be warrented and MANDATORY. As I am most likely right on this....most forum memebrs are much like myself, and use their car in a similar manner. Now for those who can enduldge in the time and the money it takes to do more RACING than this...BY ALL MEANS......GET A FULL CAGE.

This product fits a market that the FULL CAGE will never fill......70% of all Corvette Drivers.

This Bar does what I need it to do, performs well, and fits my budget. What more can you ask for???

Easy solution..........Decide what type of driving you will be doing in your Corvette...then choose the product that fits all your needs.......if you need a full cage...this is not the product for you! I thought this was a common sense desision myself. :yesnod: :cheers:

4GTWRK 11-27-2001 08:14 PM

The GP is a go!

If anybody else wants in, please contact me this week. I have to keep track of this so I can settle up with Troy.

Thanks,
Dave Cooper http://www.r-dracing.com
573-756-6954

[Modified by 84c4, 7:20 PM 11/27/2001]

Thud 11-28-2001 04:07 PM

Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (RED90SIXLT1)

I agree with GSX ...All the bar is going to do is move the flex to another part of the chassis. In time you end up with bigger problems. Now, instead of the entire car flexing "a little"....a little of the car will be flexing "alot". That chassis that is sitting below the crossbar is still gonna flex. All the bar does is grab the car in the middle and pinch it. What about in front of and behind...its still gonna flex. How long has the bar been in use and are there any longterm tests that have been done?
I don't see how that's different from say, putting the roof on the car. Does putting the roof on the car also cause a little to flex "a lot" and affect long-term structural integrity? Granted, the roof locks the front to the rear as well.
The argument here seems to be that all that flexing energy has to go somewhere so obviously it's going to a weaker point in the car. Maybe, but it's also going back to the road, since the chassis doesn't absorb as much energy in turns by way of chassis flex (essentially storing energy like a spring).
I think only the most extreme flex conditions would show a transfer of the point of weakness that comes from using a cross-bar. Basically snapping something instead of bending somewhere else. Something like that might manifest itself in a major accident.

Hardcorvette 11-28-2001 05:09 PM

Question, can you still use your stock seat/shoulder belts after the Crossbar installation?

NASCAR314 11-28-2001 06:28 PM

Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (Hardcorvette)

Question, can you still use your stock seat/shoulder belts after the Crossbar installation?
Yes, That's what I do. Works fine with the stock belts, they stay where they were at originally. I use the CROSS-BAR for added ridgity.

Hardcorvette 11-29-2001 01:08 PM

The GP is a go!

If anybody else wants in, please contact me this week. I have to keep track of this so I can settle up with Troy.

Thanks,
573-756-6954

Count me in!

Justin Scherer 11-29-2001 01:37 PM

Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (Hardcorvette)

Before I jump in on this order;

How much improvement can be expected with the top (glass top) in place?

Justin
'92 6-speed, ripper, gs brakes

4GTWRK 11-29-2001 02:03 PM

Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (Justin Scherer)

Justin,

The people that have replied to this post can best answer your question, but everyone of them have told me they can feel the differance just driving around town, even with the top on. I have an old 84 with 153,000 miles on it that use to creek when I backed out of the driveway. When I installed the Cross-bar, that went away. I know that I'm bias, but the car just feels more solid.

Dave

Aggravated4life 11-30-2001 02:20 AM

Is there a 30 day unconditional money back guarantee? If so, ill buy one.If the product works that well, then a guarantee is a no brainer.If I buy one and not satisfied for some reason,I dont want to be out 250-350 bucks.
Let me know.
Thanks!
:)

96VegasVette 11-30-2001 02:54 AM

Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (Bill's86Coupe)

Is it a pain in the rear to install?

95Purple 11-30-2001 03:42 AM

The GP is a go!

Thanks,
573-756-6954

Count me in.
Whats the price with the Lap belt kit?

4GTWRK 11-30-2001 09:17 AM

Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (Bill's86Coupe)

Bill's86Coupe,

If your not happy with it, I'll make it right with you. The only bar's I've ever had come back were trade-ins when someone trades their car for a newer model. Then they want a new Cross-bar for it as well.

Give me a call, I've tried your email, but it does not work.

Dave

4GTWRK 11-30-2001 09:19 AM

Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (96VegasVette)

Is it a pain in the rear to install?
On the average, it takes about 30 mins. Out of 80+ bars this summer, I have not received one phone call needing help on the install.

Dave

4GTWRK 11-30-2001 09:23 AM

Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (95Purple)

The GP is a go!

Thanks,
573-756-6954

Count me in.
Whats the price with the Lap belt kit?
Marc,

The lap belt kit is $10 per seat and the center strap/extinguisher mount is $40.

Give me a call today if you can.

Thanks,
Dave Cooper
R-D Racing
573-756-6954

4GTWRK 12-01-2001 01:25 AM

I will be working on everybody's orders for the GP this week-end. If there is anyone else that said they wanted in on the GP that hasn't contacted me, please do so Saturday. That a way I can get you in on this first batch.

Thanks,
Dave http://www.r-dracing.com
573-756-6954

85vet 12-01-2001 01:51 AM

84c4 - You have email

4GTWRK 12-02-2001 10:26 AM

Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (85vet)

Anyone else?

XtremeVette 12-02-2001 10:46 AM

Hi....really hoping you have some type of deal like this in the spring...just times really tough right now....and don't have the cash but Iam gonna be looking at getting both bars in the springtime so hopefully we can work something out.....

4GTWRK 12-06-2001 07:41 AM

Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (XtremeVette)

Do to all the calls and emails on this GP, I will honor the deal through December. If anyone else wants to take advantage of the great price, give us a call and mention this Forum. I can't say right now what we'll be able to offer in the spring. It depends on what a couple of our Dealers decide to do.

Thanks,
Dave
R-D Racing

ShawnZR-1 12-06-2001 01:18 PM

Ummmm.... any deals on the camber brace? Maybe you could offer that early spring time.. when the auto-x is heating up? :D BTW, I just installed the X-Bar, I haven't even taken her out for a spin yet...

:confused: Is this forum really that addictive? :yesnod:

BAdAzZV8 12-09-2001 09:24 PM

Hey Dave, I talked to you on the phone the other day. Count me in for a '94 coupe.

4GTWRK 12-11-2001 12:27 AM

Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (BAdAzZV8)

With orders for this GP still coming in daily, we've decided to extend it through Xmas.

To everyone that has placed an order, a big "THANKS", we are shipping them as fast as the powder coat cools off.

Dave Cooper
R-D Racing

BowTieBlood 12-11-2001 12:42 AM

When you begin to use your dealers is there any reason why the price might go UP? Or can we expect the prices offered now or lower from here on out? I plan on buying both bars, but it'll be quite a while to say the least. :(

4GTWRK 12-11-2001 08:25 AM

Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (BowTieBlood)

When you begin to use your dealers is there any reason why the price might go UP? Or can we expect the prices offered now or lower from here on out? I plan on buying both bars, but it'll be quite a while to say the least. :(
Yes, they'll go up. I have been selling these units to the Forum members on this GP at the Dealer's price level. I have done this to help out fellow Forum members and because most Dealers due not purchase inventory during this time of year. During the racing season, I have to rely on Dealers to help me move product due to my lack time. I do sell direct to end users at the Dealer price at the race events, provided I don't have a dealer there also. Otherwise, I have to protect their pricing, which is higher.

Dave

My85 12-11-2001 09:57 AM

To stay in our new SCCA Class SA this year - Can your just use the brace with stock seat belts or do you have to get a racing set of the seat belts.
I am interested in this but want to stay SCCA SA this year --
TIA
Ron

4GTWRK 12-11-2001 10:34 AM

Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (My85)

Ron,

The Cross-bar mounts in conjuntion with the factory belts. They are still fully functional. Give us a call.

Dave Cooper
R-D Racing Enterprises
573-756-6954

Hardcorvette 12-11-2001 06:47 PM

I received my Cross-bar last week...all I can say is WOW! They Cross-bar more then lived up to my expectations. The instructions were easy to follow, the fit and finish is exceptional. There was a noticeable difference the minute I pulled out of my steep driveway onto the roadway...no more squeaks. :) The real test was a 10-15 mile ride on the back country roads (with the top off), I was extremely impressed with the results! The vehicle feels much tighter in the turns and the numerous rattles have all but disappeared...I should have purchased this thing long ago! I have some Autocross runs coming up this spring...I can't wait!
I'd like to thank Dave for offering Forum members the group purchase discount and answering all the questions I had about the product...a real Class Act! :cheers:

Gonzo 12-12-2001 12:53 AM

Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (tntcorvette)

I've got the cross bar and love it. what the price on the camber brace???

Gonzo

BowTieBlood 12-12-2001 04:21 AM

Is the price on you website "dealer" price?

4GTWRK 12-12-2001 06:57 AM

Is the price on you website "dealer" price?
Suggested retail and non-Forum member pricing.

4GTWRK 12-12-2001 06:59 AM

Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (Gonzo)

I've got the cross bar and love it. what the price on the camber brace???

Gonzo
Gonzo,

The Camber-brace's are $175 plus shipping.

Dave

4GTWRK 12-17-2001 03:05 PM

I wanted to say "Thanks" to everyone that placed an order on the GP and to let everyone know I should get the last of the orders out this week.

Do to the great response on this GP, we are going to honor it through the end of December. Please give me a call if you have any questions.

As many of our Customers will tell you, I will work with you on just about anything, just ask.

Thanks again,
Dave Cooper
R-D Racing Enterprises
573-756-6954

JIMBO55 12-18-2001 08:10 AM

Dave--i would be interested in the gp---let me know jimbo :smash:

4GTWRK 12-22-2001 02:37 PM

Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (JIMBO55)

Dave--i would be interested in the gp---let me know jimbo :smash:
Jimbo,

We're going into the final week for the GP pricing of $250. Give me a call or drop me an email if your still interested.

Thanks,
Dave Cooper
R-D Racing Enterprises
573-756-6954

4GTWRK 12-25-2001 01:24 AM

ttt

BowTieBlood 12-25-2001 12:20 PM

How does the camber brace hook up??? (not REAL mechanically inclined :rolleyes: )

Also....is there any kind of deal if you buy BOTH the cross bar and the camber brace???? Would seem to me if you had an offer like that you'd sell a lot more of both, plus make it a little easier on our pockets as well.

Thanks for being so helpful with your product :flag

SLOWBUSA 12-25-2001 09:21 PM

Hey Dave, count me in. Let me know what I need to do to get this price. :yesnod:

4GTWRK 12-27-2001 10:57 AM

How does the camber brace hook up??? (not REAL mechanically inclined :rolleyes: )

Also....is there any kind of deal if you buy BOTH the cross bar and the camber brace???? Would seem to me if you had an offer like that you'd sell a lot more of both, plus make it a little easier on our pockets as well.

Thanks for being so helpful with your product :flag
The Camber-brace attaches with the upper control arm bolts to tie the control arm towers together. This braces both sides by reninforcement of each other.

The GP on the Cross-bar is a pretty good deal. The GP price is what most Dealers are paying for the bar, but since they don't seem interested in the winter, I thought I'd pass the savings on to the Forum members. After next Monday, we'll have to go back up to the normal Forum price.

Give me a call!

Dave Cooper
R-D Racing Enterprises
573-756-6954

4GTWRK 12-29-2001 11:07 PM

^^^

Just want to be sure that the members that are interested don't forget that the GP ends soon.

Thanks,
Dave

4GTWRK 12-31-2001 05:15 PM

Last day for the GP!!!

The Example 01-02-2002 05:39 PM

Damn it! Too little too late! Oh well, I'll just put the crossbar and camber brace on my birthday list. Lets see...hey, my birthday is during the Cruise-In weekend! Anyone wanna suprise me? :D :D :D

Secondvet 01-02-2002 07:21 PM

Received Cross-Bar this morning 9:00am, UPS woke wife up "no problem" for me, he he. WOW i am impressed this thing is substantial, appears to be very well engineered and finished. Thanks Dave. Just need some warm weather now to get it installed. Oh, BTW remove from box in horizontal manner, almost poked hole in ceiling! [ :D

4GTWRK 01-04-2002 02:12 PM

Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (Secondvet)

Maybe I need to put a warning on the outside of the box. :eek:

Thanks,
Dave

FastZR1 01-04-2002 07:57 PM

Any word on the Camber brace for the LT5?

4GTWRK 01-04-2002 08:09 PM

I'm looking for a ZR-1 to proto-type off of.

Anyone close to Farmington, MO interested?

Give me a call.

Dave Cooper
R-D Racing
573-756-6954