CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [Z06] Can a Z06 be converted into a auto? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/2010828-can-a-z06-be-converted-into-a-auto.html)

Jeff Pedersen 04-28-2008 10:57 PM

Can a Z06 be converted into a auto?

I have owned several manual vehicles including a few manual Vette's. I live in Chicago and often get stuck in the awful traffic out here. Quite frankly I'm tired of shifting and have learned the few tenths of a second gained by a manual is not worth it.

I was wondering if anybody in forumland has had or know of anyone who will convert a Z06 into a auto? I have boiled my choice between a 09 Z or a vert. Depending how much and how good the conversion is will help my decision.

Also, will the convert void the manufacture warranty?

A big thank you for any good info.

427Z 04-28-2008 10:59 PM

www.mallettcars.com

they have done the conversions. i think they are up in indiana

Cobra4B 04-28-2008 11:56 PM

Look up RPM Transmissions, they're pretty much the C5/C6 trans gurus and have done a few of them. They swapped the A6 with paddle shifters into a C6Z.

LPFSTheFett 04-29-2008 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Cobra4B (Post 1565231792)
Look up RPM Transmissions, they're pretty much the C5/C6 trans gurus and have done a few of them. They swapped the A6 with paddle shifters into a C6Z.

I have an RPM A4 Tranmission conversion going into my 2007 Z right now. :thumbs:

427Z 04-29-2008 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Cobra4B (Post 1565231792)

even better.

Carbotech Adam 04-29-2008 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by 427Z (Post 1565230973)
www.mallettcars.com

they have done the conversions. i think they are up in indiana

mallet is in cleveland ohio . was just there today they turn out some wicked cars.

rodney@rpmtransmissions 04-29-2008 03:32 PM

We have completed two C6 Z06 conversions so far. The last one we just finished a few weeks ago is owned by a local disabled businessman. This Z06 was purchased new right next door at our local dealer and delievered to us with only a few miles. The conversion was a great sucess and the customer is VERY happy. The owner of the dealership drove the Z before we delievered it and is waiting on pricing so he can put one on his showroom. For more information give us a call and for those interested we can put you in touch with the owners of the last two.

blackvetterzo6 04-29-2008 05:50 PM

Cool option. But the whole point of owning a sports car is the manual trans, just my opinion. Just go buy a coupe or vert.

SPANKY LS1 04-29-2008 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by rodney@rpmtransmissions (Post 1565240209)
We have completed two C6 Z06 conversions so far. The last one we just finished a few weeks ago is owned by a local disabled businessman. This Z06 was purchased new right next door at our local dealer and delievered to us with only a few miles. The conversion was a great sucess and the customer is VERY happy. The owner of the dealership drove the Z before we delievered it and is waiting on pricing so he can put one on his showroom. For more information give us a call and for those interested we can put you in touch with the owners of the last two.

Out of curiousity, what trans are you guys putting in them? Are you re-wiring the car, or running a standalone?

Shawn

rodney@rpmtransmissions 04-29-2008 06:04 PM

We are using a 6L80E and re-wiring the car. The install is very clean and looks OEM. I have spent many hours with my nose in the service manuals and with help from my good friend John Spears (speartech.com) we have everything worked out. I will have one of my guys post some pics tomorrow or maybe even start a new thread.

"Cool option. But the whole point of owning a sports car is the manual trans, just my opinion. Just go buy a coupe or vert."

The last customer that we converted his Z06 over does have a coupe (LPE twin turbo C6) but wanted a Z06 also.

Jeff Pedersen 04-29-2008 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by blackvetterzo6 (Post 1565242433)
Cool option. But the whole point of owning a sports car is the manual trans, just my opinion. Just go buy a coupe or vert.

Disagree strongly. Read some of the recent numbers GM has put together in Motor Trend and Automobile magazine. The 08 numbers between a auto and manual are 1/10 yes 1/10 of a second 0-60 advantage manual. For all the work and hassle of a manual you could hope for better numbers. In reality and that is the real world it all comes down to the driver. Unfortunately some car manufactures still have that boy racer mentality. I'm not into the spoilers, stripes, flames, or manual transmissions as I need to prove nothing.

For those that like the manual. That is cool and enjoy. I had fun myself with them. But until and only until some law comes along and states a sports car must be a manual, I will enjoy a auto. I believe in the very near future manuals will only be made for trucks. As a matter of fact a manual is not even offered in the hottest most anticipated car in the last 10 years or more. The Dodge Challenger is only offered in a auto. Dodge has stated they have no interest in making a stick in this car. And quite frankly no need. If Chevy offered the Z06 in a auto it would sell better. Once Chevy realizes the idea is to sell more cars they will make a auto Z. Just another small reason GM is now the number 2 auto maker in the world.

Anyone have an idea how much the conversion costs???? And a HUGE thanks to all that have replied.

CORVETTE007 04-29-2008 06:18 PM

In all honesty, the Z06 is the ultimate performance way to go. Although, if you want a really nice sports car as a daily driver, a Convertible with the 436HP engine in the 08's and up might be the way to go.

I've had a couple of Corvette vert's and they are really nice, especially on the nice sunny days here.

If I didn't already have another convertible, I might have considered an 08' vert for driving around on nice days with the wife.

Originally Posted by Jeff Pedersen (Post 1565230925)
I have owned several manual vehicles including a few manual Vette's. I live in Chicago and often get stuck in the awful traffic out here. Quite frankly I'm tired of shifting and have learned the few tenths of a second gained by a manual is not worth it.

I was wondering if anybody in forumland has had or know of anyone who will convert a Z06 into a auto? I have boiled my choice between a 09 Z or a vert. Depending how much and how good the conversion is will help my decision.

TRR 04-29-2008 06:22 PM

I'm old school myself and would agree with you if I had not driven my wife's auto vert. Put that 6spd auto in a Z06 with the proper tuning and hardware and I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

TRR

Cobra4B 04-29-2008 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff Pedersen (Post 1565242754)
Disagree strongly. Read some of the recent numbers GM has put together in Motor Trend and Automobile magazine. The 08 numbers between a auto and manual are 1/10 yes 1/10 of a second 0-60 advantage manual. For all the work and hassle of a manual you could hope for better numbers. In reality and that is the real world it all comes down to the driver. Unfortunately some car manufactures still have that boy racer mentality. I'm not into the spoilers, stripes, flames, or manual transmissions as I need to prove nothing.

For those that like the manual. That is cool and enjoy. I had fun myself with them. But until and only until some law comes along and states a sports car must be a manual, I will enjoy a auto. I believe in the very near future manuals will only be made for trucks. As a matter of fact a manual is not even offered in the hottest most anticipated car in the last 10 years or more. The Dodge Challenger is only offered in a auto. Dodge has stated they have no interest in making a stick in this car. And quite frankly no need. If Chevy offered the Z06 in a auto it would sell better. Once Chevy realizes the idea is to sell more cars they will make a auto Z. Just another small reason GM is now the number 2 auto maker in the world.

Anyone have an idea how much the conversion costs???? And a HUGE thanks to all that have replied.

Wow... you really just typed that out :lol: You equate a manual transmission in a sports car with being "boy racer". I'm almost at a loss for words.

I guess it's one of those things to where If I have to explain it you certainly wouldn't understand.

The new 6 speed auto is great, and achieves very similar acceleration times to the manual simply because it can now have comparable gearing in 1st through 4th where the real fun takes place.

However, for anyone who's ever driven on a road course (or great back road) and executed a perfect heel-toe downshift all while trailbraking into a turn... well for those people (I am one of them) a slushbox will never suffice.

Yes... I've driven SMG M3s, Tiptronic Porsches, the new Jaguar KXR and KFs with their Aston Martin ZF 6-speed auto, etc... sure they're cool, but they lack one thing.... they lack any skill needed from the driver. You're just a passenger in your own car man :lol:

I love having an auto in my daily driver pickup... but I will never own one in anything worth driving... people driving manuals are a dying breed, that is why mfgs are moving away from them... not because they won't be more fun or perform better. Simply, your average consumer is a half-wit who doesn't know any better.

:cheers:

rodney@rpmtransmissions 04-29-2008 06:27 PM

I agree with both parties. FWIW my 07 Z06 is a 6 spd manual but for some that is NOT an option. My last conversion is owned by a gentleman that has a prostetic left leg and can not operate a clutch. I have another NEW 08 that is in transit for a conversion for a customer who is paralized from the waist down. Once the conversion is made the Z06 will be sent out to have hand controls installed. :thumbs:

SPANKY LS1 04-29-2008 06:29 PM

I cannot imagine how wicked a Z06 would be with a stalled automatic.

Shawn

Cobra4B 04-29-2008 06:29 PM

^ I agree with the conversions for the disabled or someone who wants to daily drive the car and never track it. My younger brother is wheelchair bound.

My objection is for those who believe an automatic will be the better option for all out performance. GM's 6-speed auto isn't a SMG system, it's not going to shift like a Ferrari or M3 setup, but will come fairly close all while still being cruiser friendly.

rodney@rpmtransmissions 04-29-2008 06:34 PM

This thread would be shot down so fast in the "Autocrossing & Roadracing" section :lol:

Jeff Pedersen 04-29-2008 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Cobra4B (Post 1565242870)
Wow... you really just typed that out :lol: You equate a manual transmission in a sports car with being "boy racer". I'm almost at a loss for words.

I guess it's one of those things to where If I have to explain it you certainly wouldn't understand.

The new 6 speed auto is great, and achieves very similar acceleration times to the manual simply because it can now have comparable gearing in 1st through 4th where the real fun takes place.

However, for anyone who's ever driven on a road course (or great back road) and executed a perfect heel-toe downshift all while trailbraking into a turn... well for those people (I am one of them) a slushbox will never suffice.

Yes... I've driven SMG M3s, Tiptronic Porsches, the new Jaguar KXR and KFs with their Aston Martin ZF 6-speed auto, etc... sure they're cool, but they lack one thing.... they lack any skill needed from the driver. You're just a passenger in your own car man :lol:

I love having an auto in my daily driver pickup... but I will never own one in anything worth driving... people driving manuals are a dying breed, that is why mfgs are moving away from them... not because they won't be more fun or perform better. Simply, your average consumer is a half-wit who doesn't know any better.

I suggest you start reading. Have you read any reviews of the 08 Vette? Your daily driver pickup is better suited for the stick. Once again it all comes down to the driver. Even most racing formats have moved away from the clutch. The manual is dying as most outdated things do. Are you still enjoying your black and white TV or maybe still using a rotary phone? Times change all things advance. Chevy needs to get out of the boy racer mentality. Or at least the macho mentality.

And for the guy that states he only does this for handicapped individual obviously has an agenda. Dude it is so clear we can see it a mile away. Do you really expect us to believe only handicapped people want a auto Z? Some of us grow up and get tired of playing with a stick. Or feel we are men enough and have nothing to prove to boy racers. Many and I mean many consumers would love a auto Z. Most (not all) buyers of the Vette are older and have been down the road using a manual. I think those that want it should have it. It can be fun at times. But a manual is not for everyone.

Sharky99 04-29-2008 06:54 PM

Didn't some else post this pic already?

[IMG]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...side20view.jpg[/IMG]

vette6799 04-29-2008 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff Pedersen (Post 1565243169)
I suggest you start reading. Have you read any reviews of the 08 Vette? Your daily driver pickup is better suited for the stick. Once again it all comes down to the driver. Even most racing formats have moved away from the clutch. The manual is dying as most outdated things do. Are you still enjoying your black and white TV or maybe still using a rotary phone? Times change all things advance. Chevy needs to get out of the boy racer mentality. Or at least the macho mentality.

And for the guy that states he only does this for handicapped individual obviously has an agenda. Dude it is so clear we can see it a mile away. Do you really expect us to believe only handicapped people want a auto Z? Some of us grow up and get tired of playing with a stick. Or feel we are men enough and have nothing to prove to boy racers. Many and I mean many consumers would love a auto Z. Most (not all) buyers of the Vette are older and have been down the road using a manual. I think those that want it should have it. It can be fun at times. But a manual is not for everyone.

I agree - take a look at the sequential F1 transmission option in the Ferrari F430, which most owners of this model buy. Lightning fast shifts.

And to those who say they can consistently upshift and downshift faster than the 430's tranny, you are smoking something. You MIGHT do an occasional shift that is better, but out of 100 shifts, 50 up and 50 down, I believe the 430's tranny would be better at least 3/4 of the time.

Note this little piece from CarGurus.com about the 430 Scuderia:

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Overvie...-Scuderia.html

Ferrari has emphasized its application of Formula 1 technology to this street-legal racer. For the first time, they have combined the control of the paddle-shifted autoclutch manual gearbox with the F1-Trac traction and stability control system and the E-Diff2 electronically controlled clutch-pack-differential into one control system. Translated into the driving experience, this means the transmission is now capable of behaving like a normal automatic below 3,000 rpm and close to a Formula 1 racer under more aggressive conditions, banging shifts away at 60 ms - 2.5 times quicker than the F430 and only slightly behind a Ferrari Formula 1 machine that shifts in 30 to 40 ms.

gonzalezfj 04-29-2008 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by vette6799 (Post 1565243441)
I agree - take a look at the sequential F1 transmission option in the Ferrari F430, which most owners of this model buy. Lightning fast shifts.

And to those who say they can consistently upshift and downshift faster than the 430's tranny, you are smoking something. You MIGHT do an occasional shift that is better, but out of 100 shifts, 50 up and 50 down, I believe the 430's tranny would be better at least 3/4 of the time.

Ferrari has emphasized its application of Formula 1 technology to this street-legal racer. For the first time, they have combined the control of the paddle-shifted autoclutch manual gearbox with the F1-Trac traction and stability control system and the E-Diff2 electronically controlled clutch-pack-differential into one control system. Translated into the driving experience, this means the transmission is now capable of behaving like a normal automatic below 3,000 rpm and close to a Formula 1 racer under more aggressive conditions, banging shifts away at 60 ms - 2.5 times quicker than the F430 and only slightly behind a Ferrari Formula 1 machine that shifts in 30 to 40 ms.

Ain't technology wonderful!!!

Question: Can they deliver a car of comparable performance for the same price as a C6Z?

Car designs are full of compromises. You can't have top performance, top quality and lowest price at the same time.

In my book the C6Z is a great set of compromises. Otherwise I would not have bought the car.

Frank Gonzalez

Cobra4B 04-29-2008 08:22 PM

The A6 in the Corvette is nothing like the F1 gearbox in the 430 Ferrari.

Carbotech Adam 04-29-2008 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by vette6799 (Post 1565243441)

i agree about the f1 i have a 2005 430. but there is no way that gm tranny will shift like a f1 maybee in 5 years or so. now i think it would be cheaper to buy a 08 c6 a6 and modify the motor and use tunning software to dial in the tranny. now you have a auto just as powerfull as a zo6 and a convertiable if you want to.:cheers:

Cloaked323 04-29-2008 09:59 PM

If I had a option of a F1 paddle shift like the 430 and what I have I would had test drove them first before I pulled the trigge.r If there was no test drive then I would have waited for others on the forum to give me a play by play.:auto:

rodney@rpmtransmissions 04-29-2008 09:59 PM

[QUOTE=Jeff Pedersen;1565246004][QUOTE=rodney@rpmtransmissions;1565243052]This thread would be shot down so fast in the "Autocrossing & Roadracing" section :lol:[/QUOTE

Ya' think that is why there are different sections? Check the new boy racer thread. Sounds just perfect for you.[/QUOTE

I think the C6 Z06 automatic conversion is a great set-up for the right person,Hell thats why i do them. I just stated that I know 90% of the die hard road racers on here would shoot it down. Now please explain what your post meant. I don't think anyone on this forum would consider me a "new boy racer" that knows me and my accomplishments in the corvette community.

Cloaked323 04-29-2008 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by rodney@rpmtransmissions (Post 1565243052)
This thread would be shot down so fast in the "Autocrossing & Roadracing" section :lol:

but here in cali autocross you can't get out of 2nd gear what fun is that :rofl:

Rod be sure to post the paddle shift conversion when it's working flawlessly.

atomicfusion 04-29-2008 10:05 PM

I loved the 6 speed in my car; however, with my new TT build the M6 just wasn't going to hold the power. I had RPM build me an auto with a lock up converter, built rear end, and other SFI pieces.

Plain and simple it goes like this... some like it hot and some like it hotter!

for big HP applications and drag racing, the auto is way better. ET will be improved, $2k+ clutches don't have to be replaced every couple of weekends and drivability becomes better over an aftermarket clutch.

RPM and other aftermarket companies are around because there is a demand.

Cloaked323 04-29-2008 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by atomicfusion (Post 1565246490)
I loved the 6 speed in my car; however, with my new TT build the M6 just wasn't going to hold the power. I had RPM build me an auto with a lock up converter, built rear end, and other SFI pieces.

Plain and simple it goes like this... some like it hot and some like it hotter!

for big HP applications and drag racing, the auto is way better. ET will be improved, $2k+ clutches don't have to be replaced every couple of weekends and drivability becomes better over an aftermarket clutch.

RPM and other aftermarket companies are around because there is a demand.

:iagree: but had does it do on a roadcourse or is that not an option

427Z 04-29-2008 10:17 PM

[QUOTE=rodney@rpmtransmissions;1565246416][QUOTE=Jeff Pedersen;1565246004]

Originally Posted by rodney@rpmtransmissions (Post 1565243052)
This thread would be shot down so fast in the "Autocrossing & Roadracing" section :lol:[/QUOTE

Ya' think that is why there are different sections? Check the new boy racer thread. Sounds just perfect for you.[/QUOTE

I think the C6 Z06 automatic conversion is a great set-up for the right person,Hell thats why i do them. I just stated that I know 90% of the die hard road racers on here would shoot it down. Now please explain what your post meant. I don't think anyone on this forum would consider me a "new boy racer" that knows me and my accomplishments in the corvette community.

:iagree:

i dont understand the hostility toward a guy who might be the one to do your auto Z06 conversion. unless im reading this wrong :confused:

vette6799 04-29-2008 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by vette6799

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj (Post 1565244213)
Ain't technology wonderful!!!

Question: Can they deliver a car of comparable performance for the same price as a C6Z?

Car designs are full of compromises. You can't have top performance, top quality and lowest price at the same time.

In my book the C6Z is a great set of compromises. Otherwise I would not have bought the car.

Frank Gonzalez

This is not a price issue; instead my post was directed to the premise that a sequential automatic transmission, such as what Ferrari uses, is a superior product, at least in my mind and, quite obviously, in the minds of most of the racing world, and is being used in more and more high end sports cars.

This thread was not intended to be critical of the Z06, but originally was directed to the question of whether an automatic tranny could be used in the Z06.

I and several others managed to hijack the thread (sorry) when people started to attack automatic transmissions as a lesser component if used in the Z.

And, by the way, I reject your premise that GM, or any other automobile company, couldn't build an ultrafast shifting transmission, such as made by ferrari, should they choose to do so. However, when you continuously lose market share and have quarter after quarter of losses because you wear blinders and can't figure out which way the market is heading, your development dollars tend to get cut back. Built in large quantities, sophisticated technology can become amazingly affordable.

glass slipper 04-30-2008 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by Cobra4B (Post 1565242870)

I guess you won't be buying any Corvettes after the C6 model ends.:lol:

sbennett5 04-30-2008 03:46 AM

I'd actually like to read about the topic at hand "Can a Z06 be converted to an auto." Not "which transmission is better for road racing."

And Jeff, Im not easily aroused into internet bashing, but you sir, are an idiot. You are misquoting people and seem to have misunderstood quite a few things so far in this thread. Honestly, I nearly laughed when I read how you reacted the comment about how this thread would do in the autocross section. Wake up, all he was saying is that for the majority of the autocross racers on this website, a manual transmissions are more popular than autos. You then proceeded to go off about an agenda and bias? laughable

end of rant, can a mod clean this thread up and get it back on topic?

[QUOTE=Jeff Pedersen;1565247646][QUOTE=rodney@rpmtransmissions;1565246416]

Originally Posted by Jeff Pedersen (Post 1565246004)

Do you even bother to read what you write? Below are just 4 sentances from 3 of your posts. Sounds like you have a bias and a agenda here. You claim to do the work but then bash it. Or somehow your customers are all handicapped. Either your full of it. Or you have a deep bias. Something clearly does not add up. I can guarantee you with your attitude I would NEVER EVER seek your services.

"Cool option. But the whole point of owning a sports car is the manual trans, just my opinion. Just go buy a coupe or vert."

The last one we just finished a few weeks ago is owned by a local disabled businessman.

I have another NEW 08 that is in transit for a conversion for a customer who is paralized from the waist down.

This thread would be shot down so fast in the "Autocrossing & Roadracing" section

1985 Corvette 04-30-2008 04:08 AM

At first glance of the original post, I would say just leave it in second gear all the time. Then I realized you're probably just tired of working a clutch and gas in terrible traffic. I have the utmost appreciation for the complexity hidden inside automatic transmissions that make them "go". At first glance people will scoff at an auto. I've had my nose buried in the "how stuff works" articles about auto transmissions out of boredom and I gotta say it gets pretty complex.

Therein I equally find even more appreciation of the "simplicity" of a manual. Well if you get it done, whatever makes you happy. I personally hate to hear the desire to convert it probably because I started off with a slush box 4spd auto in mine.:willy:

Sorry, I started rambling. I'd say think it over only because I really love Corvette manual transmissions (Yes, even the dreaded 4+3).

rodney@rpmtransmissions 04-30-2008 08:17 AM

[QUOTE=Jeff Pedersen;1565247646][QUOTE=rodney@rpmtransmissions;1565246416]

I can guarantee you with your attitude I would NEVER EVER seek your services.

Even with your comments I still do not have an attitude. I never spoke out of text and wish you the best of luck with your new Corvette.

HIRISC 04-30-2008 09:14 AM

Do you even bother to read what you write? Below are just 4 sentances from 3 of your posts. Sounds like you have a bias and a agenda here. You claim to do the work but then bash it. Or somehow your customers are all handicapped. Either your full of it. Or you have a deep bias. Something clearly does not add up. I can guarantee you with your attitude I would NEVER EVER seek your services.

I'm guessing you're in the (severe) minority Jeff.

Kudos Rodney for taking the time and spending the money to develop this mod for those that want it - after all, people can do what they want with 'their' Z - it's a free country :flag:

ronsc1985 04-30-2008 09:15 AM

Did I miss something in the original post in this thread? The originator asks about installing an automatic transmission in a Z06 which I would assume means the normal kind i.e. one with a torque converter and a planetary gear set.

Somehow the thread got sidetracked to talk of sequential transmissions with no torque converter. This is an apples to potatoes comparison.

Aside from the large engineering design differences a primary difference is price no matter how many you manufacture. These transmissions are not a normal auto with a manual shift mode as currently exist in a C6 and about every other car these days.

A year or two ago i had a thread which asked how much people would be willing to pay for a sequential transmission similar to those currently found in mega dollar cars. The results as I remember was not all that much, generally not any more than for a current automatic. This is primarily why you don't see them in cars in the Z06 price range.

rodney@rpmtransmissions 04-30-2008 12:13 PM

#003 was just dropped of by the transporter. 11 miles on the odometer:crazy:

GN1270 04-30-2008 12:20 PM

Not that I am looking to do it, but what is the cost to swap it to auto? How much weight you adding to the car and how much does it mess up the weight distribution?

rodney@rpmtransmissions 04-30-2008 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by GN1270 (Post 1565253796)
Not that I am looking to do it, but what is the cost to swap it to auto? How much weight you adding to the car and how much does it mess up the weight distribution?

The cost depends on options selected. The weight is a GOOD question and I will be sure and weigh the assemblies on this current conversion.:thumbs:

ZL-1 04-30-2008 12:43 PM

I believe in the very near future manuals will only be made for trucks. As a matter of fact a manual is not even offered in the hottest most anticipated car in the last 10 years or more. The Dodge Challenger is only offered in a auto. Dodge has stated they have no interest in making a stick in this car. And quite frankly no need.

Several weeks ago Dodge announced that due to popular demand a 6-speed manual will be offered in the Challenger after the initial run of Collector Editions is completed.

rodney@rpmtransmissions 04-30-2008 01:03 PM

i will start a new thread covering the previous conversions with detailed pics soon.

Gray Ghost GS 04-30-2008 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by rodney@rpmtransmissions (Post 1565242935)
....My 07 Z06 is a 6 spd manual but for some that is NOT an option. My last conversion is owned by a gentleman that has a prostetic left leg and can not operate a clutch. I have another NEW 08 that is in transit for a conversion for a customer who is paralized from the waist down. Once the conversion is made the Z06 will be sent out to have hand controls installed. :thumbs:

:flag:
Rodney - this is an outstanding transmission conversion service you're providing! I believe most on this forum applaud your teams efforts to do a quality manual-to-automatic conversion for the Z06 so those that have disabilities - some are friends returning from war - can still enjoy the thrill this great car provides. BTW, I continue to enjoy the strong Level V transmission you built for me - performance is flawless! Mike :cheers:

Cobra4B 04-30-2008 01:58 PM

Jeff... you've been on this forum for all of 6 months... I've been on here going on 8 years. I know who the good vendors/tuners are and who has the strongest followings in this industry.

RPM is the best trans shop in the business for C6/C5 work and other cars like Vipers etc, just check out their webiste.

Personally... I have RPM upgraded parts in my gearbox when it was re-built under warranty for a worn out 3rd gear synchro.

They took the time to make sound recommendations as to which parts I would need based on my road racing oriented use of my car. They even overnighted the parts to the GM dealer doing the rebuild to cut down on downtime.

They are a top notch operation. You'd better put your flame suit on bro :cheers:

Jeff Pedersen 04-30-2008 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by rodney@rpmtransmissions (Post 1565255729)
The first sentance in my post was a quote from someone else that I quoted. Notice the quotation marks. I was replying to that post when I said my customer does have a coupe and wanted a Z06. Why did you call me a Goof? Call me at 1-800-406-1109 and we can discuss this whole post. For you to question my honesty is another thing. I will not resort to calling you names and bashing you. Maybe YOU should go back and read the posts.

Fair enough. As far as I'm concerned this post has gone far enough. Let me apologize for calling you a goof. I personally thought you were stating a Vette (sports car) should only have a manual and I should just buy the vert. And I was surprised you would quote someone else when you do this type of work. It seemed very peculiar. Also, for some strange reasons only handicapped people get a Z converted to an auto. It just sounded a little odd.

But again accept my sincere apology and just forget it. I may or may not buy a Z. If I buy one I may keep it as a manual. If not, I'm certain someone in a large city like Chicago will do the conversion. At this point I'm a little turned off by the sad response to the post. Unfortunately opinions on this forum always get in the way of real answers. Kind of sad. One day people will realize that many of us use our Vette's for different reasons.

But to those of you that replied with serious and constructive suggestions a BIG thank you.

Cobra4B 04-30-2008 02:43 PM

:withstupid: Jeff go and re-read... Rodney was quoting other posts and replying to them.

He is 100% correct... the people in the auto-xing/road racing forum would give you a hard time and I'm one of them :lol: People like us believe automatic sports cars are an oxymoron.

I can understand the appeal of an auto Z06, but personally I'd never own one :cheers:

Cobra4B 04-30-2008 02:45 PM

Furthermore... I was 100% being helpful in my first reply... if you want an auto Z06 done 100% correctly then buy one and have it shipped to RPM. I'd never let your average shop tackle the conversion.

If I remember correctly there is some substantial wiring to make the A6 work seamlessly like it came from the factory. Rodney can chime in as he does the work, but I remember reading the posts about their first A6 conversion and his comments on the level of work involved.

Jeff Pedersen 04-30-2008 02:55 PM

Okay, I'm on here for a reason. I'm currently own and I'm buying a new Vette. I guess I just get a little pissed as everytime people ask questions, others throw in non-sense and turn it into some point counter point session. I asked a legitimate question and received only a few legitimate answers. But as I think about it you get what you pay for and to this date the forum has cost me nothing. And I have learned a few things on some of the posts so the forum does have value. So again anyone offended including RPM please accept my apology. It looks as if i have another month to decide until the pricing on the 09's comes out. Thought about an 08 but I do like the idea of having a 09 sometime in July of 08.

Cobra4B 04-30-2008 03:08 PM

^ :lol: Much of the "information" on here is full of BS and misinformation so pick and choose who you listen to wisely :yesnod: That said, there is no better resournce anywhere for Corvette information.

Enjoy your stay... you'll learn alot and find all kinds of things to spend your money on you never knew you wanted :lol:

rddo41 05-02-2008 11:50 PM

The guy with the auto

To all: I happen to be the proud owner of RPM's latest conversion of the Zo6 manual to auto. All I can say is thank you RPM. This conversion is the most professional and quality install I have ever had done to a vehicle. It looks great and runs flawlessly. There are a couple minor tuning aspects that need to happen but all in all a great job.
In my opinion RPM is the only shop I would recommend.
Now for all you purist who feel only your way is the right way. Ever since cars have been produced they have been modified. Seems a lot of people think the best engineers work for the auto mfg's.
I'm so very thankful for the real engineers (like Rodney) who don't settle for the norm. They always push the envelope to create a better solution. As a result the bar gets pushed higher for all involved. That being said the reason for my conversion is not due to my handicap, but the result of several years of racing at drag strips and road courses. I've come to realize there is a lot of joy passing people who claimed they missed a shift. Also I now know when I get passed it just might be the driver and not the transmission.
Now for those interested. I have several track days line up this summer around the mid-west(putnam,mid-ohio,road america,gateway) if anyone is interested in taking a ride for comparison sent me a note and I'll do what I can to provide that ride.
Sorry for the editorial but I needed to set the record straight on RPM and Rodney. Simply said they are the best.

Jeff Pedersen 05-03-2008 12:21 PM

[QUOTE=sbennett5;1565249627]I'd actually like to read about the topic at hand "Can a Z06 be converted to an auto." Not "which transmission is better for road racing."

And Jeff, Im not easily aroused into internet bashing, but you sir, are an idiot. You are misquoting people and seem to have misunderstood quite a few things so far in this thread. Honestly, I nearly laughed when I read how you reacted the comment about how this thread would do in the autocross section. Wake up, all he was saying is that for the majority of the autocross racers on this website, a manual transmissions are more popular than autos. You then proceeded to go off about an agenda and bias? laughable

end of rant, can a mod clean this thread up and get it back on topic?

[QUOTE=Jeff Pedersen;1565247646]Dir Moron,

Not only are you rude and misinformed your are stupid. Go back and read the entire thread. I think the forum should be pay per post so we get the low life trash like yourself off the forum. This way we can stick to the topic at hand and get some answers instead of moronic ramblers like yourself sir.

And possibly the absolute moronic statement ever on the forum was "
can a mod clean this thread up and get it back on topic?". I started the thread. But a moron like yourself adds some non-sense and takes it off topic.

Go back to Myspace and play with your computer there. And after that get yourself a class on spelling and punctuation. A grade school would be a great start.

Jeff Pedersen 05-03-2008 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by rddo41 (Post 1565292295)
To all: I happen to be the proud owner of RPM's latest conversion of the Zo6 manual to auto. All I can say is thank you RPM. This conversion is the most professional and quality install I have ever had done to a vehicle. It looks great and runs flawlessly. There are a couple minor tuning aspects that need to happen but all in all a great job.
In my opinion RPM is the only shop I would recommend.
Now for all you purist who feel only your way is the right way. Ever since cars have been produced they have been modified. Seems a lot of people think the best engineers work for the auto mfg's.
I'm so very thankful for the real engineers (like Rodney) who don't settle for the norm. They always push the envelope to create a better solution. As a result the bar gets pushed higher for all involved. That being said the reason for my conversion is not due to my handicap, but the result of several years of racing at drag strips and road courses. I've come to realize there is a lot of joy passing people who claimed they missed a shift. Also I now know when I get passed it just might be the driver and not the transmission.
Now for those interested. I have several track days line up this summer around the mid-west(putnam,mid-ohio,road america,gateway) if anyone is interested in taking a ride for comparison sent me a note and I'll do what I can to provide that ride.
Sorry for the editorial but I needed to set the record straight on RPM and Rodney. Simply said they are the best.

Thank you,

Finally some great information without bias. It as you can see by some of the posts it had become harder to get an straight answer on this forum. Just look at some of the posts. It is inceredible.

How much did this cost you? Any voiding of the Chevy warranty?
I may have to rethink my first impression of Rodney.

Once again a BIG THANKS to all that replied with serious posts. People like you keep the forum legit.

z06 Dave 05-28-2008 04:45 PM

Just out of curiosity about how much is the conversion?

budmont 05-29-2008 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by z06 Dave (Post 1565653795)
Just out of curiosity about how much is the conversion?

:bigears

ETM 05-29-2008 07:59 PM

505 horsepower in with an automatic would be a fun roller coaster ride.

SidePipeMusic 05-29-2008 08:04 PM

The title of this thread? Pure blasphemy.

engguy 05-31-2008 04:35 AM

A properly setup automatic transimission, will beat a manual transmission anyday. Just look at the drag racing scene. Powerglides are the norm. Also the planetary gear sets will take alot more load than the average gear sets as found in manual transmissions, even when twin counter shafts are used.

Toxic Z 05-31-2008 06:04 AM

I must be an odd driving freak but I never get tired of shifting especially when I am driving the Z06.. I find myself so lucky to just have the means to own the car.. let alone have the honor to drive it.

.. but then one of my passions is driving...

HP JNKEY 05-31-2008 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by rodney@rpmtransmissions (Post 1565254428)
i will start a new thread covering the previous conversions with detailed pics soon.

Rod
Is the A6 Z06 slower or faster then the stick version?
It has a 3:42 diff which would make it real quick from the line.
LS2's and LS3's with A6 trannys and gears run hard and stay with or beat car's with 6 spd manual's.
But I guess there is more hp lose with a auto trans.

My C6 has 3:15's and I just ran it up in Fontana with good results.
It went 12.37 @ 115 on a hot 103F day with the DA at 4500ft on runflats.
A friend with a RennTech SL65 AMG [ 685hp 880tq.] beat me by 1 car length. We ran 2 times with the same results. His best run was 12.10 @ 116. His 2006 Porsche TT was running 12.99 @ 112.

thegame 05-31-2008 09:49 AM

Are we close to having the A6 trannys tuning available to make stronger versions??? For the guys that want big HP and an A6? Thanks

tnz5106 05-31-2008 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by pajohns (Post 1565691491)
I must be an odd driving freak but I never get tired of shifting especially when I am driving the Z06.. I find myself so lucky to just have the means to own the car.. let alone have the honor to drive it.

.. but then one of my passions is driving...

Well said!!, and the previous post mentioned powerglide trannys being faster at the drag strip. Yes they are!! But the z06 is not a drag car, its a sports car, it was designed for a manual. I am sure auto's can be faster on the road course too being what computers are now days. Can it be converted to an auto? Obviously and I am sure the conversion works well. I am considering one myself in a few years from RPM. As far as the drag strip. I have taken my Z there twice and I HATE the 6 speed manual on the strip!! I could never drive a manual worth a crap at the strip. I even read and practiced Rangers method before I went the 2nd time and the fastest I ran was an 8.37 in the 1/8th and thats with a killer bee tune!! I will never put my z through that again! I dont see how any of you guys put your z through this, I am suprized they dont break the first run!!

Anyway, the bottom line is this. ITS A MATTER OF PERSONAL PREFERENCE!! BUT AN AUTO IN A Z06 TURNS IT INTO A COMPLETLY DIFFERENT ANIMAL!!

I drive my vettes on some very nice east tn mountain roads. I'm sure alot of you less fortunate vette owners would give anything to be able to play on these roads. I have had auto c6's that I drove on these roads. The difference between the z and them is like comparing the z to my moms cadillac. Did the new caddy handle good on the curvy road? Yea, it felt great. Was it the same as going through the gears in the Z? Hell no!! There is no comparison.

I have lived in Texas, New Jersey, and Michigan. All great states but if owned a corvette and didn't track it, it would have to be an auto. Hell, its to flat and boring. Especially Texas, I really dont even see the point in owning a z if you live there unless you track the car.

My passion is driving also, and you can't "DRIVE" an auto, you "steer it"

just my .02......bring on the flames I have my suit on..........:mad:

J HEBERT 06-01-2008 12:03 AM

How about we let ya burn a bit?:lol: I will tell u right now, my Z runs it's butt off and I can shift the crap out of it, but as soon as I find the time, my "revised gear ratio" 4L65e is going in, and despite the mixed feelings of everyone, it will still be fast and I may even get to drive it more than 5-6k mi w/o having to replace the clutch or hear the whine of worn gearsets.....I would rather build the auto every 20k. U get past 550rwhp on a daily driver and USE the power, u better look into micro-polishing.

Hey Rodney, u got an output shaft for me that is 30spline for the c6z?:lurk:

69 Vette 11-10-2008 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by thegame (Post 1565692613)
Are we close to having the A6 trannys tuning available to make stronger versions??? For the guys that want big HP and an A6? Thanks

:bigears

Jasil 01-18-2009 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by tnz5106 (Post 1565692658)
My passion is driving also, and you can't "DRIVE" an auto, you "steer it"

just my .02......bring on the flames I have my suit on..........:mad:

Exactly!!!:lurk:

Fast06Z06 01-18-2009 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Jasil (Post 1568595744)
Exactly!!!:lurk:

Heres the ultimate question and some food for thought. Is it more cost efficient and is it a better alternative to buy a regular C6 Auto and mod it up to the level of Z with a cam etc and can the GM auto be modified enought to handle to power without spending a fortune? Guess the first question would be what does a auto conversation from RPM cost in a Z first off. I mean i know its an age old debate but would it be nice to have a converetible with an auto and be able to run faster than a Z for less $? Tough debate. I love my Z and would never think of down grading to a regular c6 for so many reasons and dont mind the hardtop at all. I mean the whole reason i bought the Z was to get a turn key high horsepower super car with a manual tranny. All my past race cars where always auto and setup for the track but I wanted to get back into a stick car again because i spend alot of time crusing the streets too which to me is more fun with a stick. BUT curiousity is always there........:thumbs:

Jasil 01-18-2009 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Fast06Z06 (Post 1568595912)
Heres the ultimate question and some food for thought. Is it more cost efficient and is it a better alternative to buy a regular C6 Auto and mod it up to the level of Z with a cam etc and can the GM auto be modified enought to handle to power without spending a fortune? Guess the first question would be what does a auto conversation from RPM cost in a Z first off. I mean i know its an age old debate but would it be nice to have a converetible with an auto and be able to run faster than a Z for less $? Tough debate. I love my Z and would never think of down grading to a regular c6 for so many reasons and dont mind the hardtop at all. I mean the whole reason i bought the Z was to get a turn key high horsepower super car with a manual tranny. All my past race cars where always auto and setup for the track but I wanted to get back into a stick car again because i spend alot of time crusing the streets too which to me is more fun with a stick. BUT curiousity is always there........:thumbs:

Trying to let this die, but when does a Z06 stop being a Z06? Once you drop in a Auto, drag suspension, you've altered the car radically from it's intent. Why start with a Z06 in the first place?

In the Cobra world people would do the same. Drop in a auto, tear out the IRS, drag suspension, my argument is the same. Why pay the upcharge for a Cobra when you are tearing everything that made it a cobra out?

To each his/her own;)I can't imagine dropping a auto in a drivers car like a Z06, unless it was on par with the GTR trans, but as long as people are happy with their car that's all that matters.

69 Vette 01-18-2009 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jasil (Post 1568596270)
Why start with a Z06 in the first place?

Because it has a bigger engine
Because it is lighter
Because it has better brakes
Because it has better suspension
Because it has more curb appeal
Because you can fit bigger tires under it
i could go on and on......

Why would someone molest a ZO6 and install an auto tranny?

Because it's faster
Because it's a dream to drive around town. Drives like a Toyota Camery on the street and the HWY
No more clutch to fool with. No more clutch peddles sticking to the floor.
Those of us with lots of RWHP have to run dual or tripple disk clutches to handle the power suffer because it drives like chit on the street. With the auto.... drives like a Camery :)
Hell, my wife jumps in my car now and drives it like it was nothing..... this is a 700 RWHP car.
Oh, did i mention it is faster with the auto :)

Until you drive an auto converted ZO6 you don't have a clue. It's the best money I have ever spent on my car...and I've spent a lot :rofl:

Fast06Z06 01-18-2009 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jasil (Post 1568596270)
Trying to let this die, but when does a Z06 stop being a Z06? Once you drop in a Auto, drag suspension, you've altered the car radically from it's intent. Why start with a Z06 in the first place?

In the Cobra world people would do the same. Drop in a auto, tear out the IRS, drag suspension, my argument is the same. Why pay the upcharge for a Cobra when you are tearing everything that made it a cobra out?

To each his/her own;)I can't imagine dropping a auto in a drivers car like a Z06, unless it was on par with the GTR trans, but as long as people are happy with their car that's all that matters.

Once they offer an optional Auto tranny on the Z then would be acceptable haha:crazy::cheers: Think about that one

Moss 01-18-2009 11:38 AM

:iagree: Imho, if you like the look of the z06 but want the automatic, wouldn't it be more cost effective to buy a C6 and do a widebody conversion. it probably also maintain your warranty. just my .02

SAN_man 01-18-2009 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Fast06Z06 (Post 1568596550)
Once they offer an optional Auto tranny on the Z then would be acceptable haha:crazy::cheers:

But they won't.

If you want an auto (or a vert), the ZO6 is not for you.

69 Vette 01-18-2009 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by SAN_man (Post 1568596771)

If you want an auto (or a vert), the ZO6 is not for you.

:rofl:

I LOVE my ZO6 with auto tranny conversion.

Fredo 01-18-2009 12:25 PM

In the last 2 threads there has been approximately 150 posts on auto conversions.

I love the idea but would like to see just a general cost of the tranny swap. I know the cost to mod the motor.

Even just a ballpark or a range of cost would be helpfull

I will decide if the cost justifies the mod.

Thanks

FastestBusaAround 01-18-2009 12:48 PM

In a Vette, the auto is faster on the track than a manual anyway, so there's no "few tenths" to be gained. There are a number of threads to help you with your decision in any case. It has been done, albeit not an inexpensive mod. I still prefer the stick as I use down shifting often over brakes, and it gives me a greater sense of comfort and road feel. I've had auto's in many Vettes before and I still prefer the stick, although I can see the huge benefit of an auto on a daily driver. I wish I had an auto while driving in the city and a stick for the highways, but that would mean 2 Z06's and that's just plain not worth it...LOL

69 Vette 01-18-2009 02:13 PM

The cost to convert to an RPM built auto tranny with beefed up differential is around $13,000 with all the bells and whistles. This price includes shipping of your car both ways.

IPS Motorsports in Ohio did my conversion for me and I'm real happy with the work they did.

DSteck 01-18-2009 03:18 PM

I am surprised anybody bothered to say anything after this comment. :lol:

SAN_man 01-18-2009 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by 69 Vette (Post 1568596781)
:rofl:

I LOVE my ZO6 with auto tranny conversion.

Whatever floats your boat.

You said you like it "because it drives like a Camry". THAT is why I said that a Z06 is not for you if you want an auto trans.

A Z06 is not supposed to "drive like a Camry". Hell...why not just put a built motor in a new Camry and save yourself a ****-ton of money in the process?

I know I'm not going to change your mind, and you won't change mine. So...whatever.

69 Vette 01-18-2009 10:08 PM

While i do understand an auto tranny ZO6 isn't for everyone, for you to say a ZO6 isn't for me if I want an auto is ludacris.

Comparing it to a Camry was just an analogy. It's not often you have a 700 RWHP car that drives this incredibly well on the street. Don't let the good street manners fool you though. When you hit the gas peddle it's "bye bye baby" :flag:

Why not dump the money into the Camry and save some $$$?
Because it wouldn't run like this when i take it to the track
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE6Uxo418AI

The quickest C6 Z's in the world have auto tranny's in them yet you say our auto tranny Z's aren't for us. :rofl:

69 Vette 01-18-2009 10:36 PM

Here are the speeds from the fast list. The top three cars are all using RPM built auto tranny's

Originally Posted by Fast List
Power Adders (Nitrous, Turbo, Supercharger) ------*Current Avg. 10.016 secs. @143.79 1.583 secs
*Nine Second C6 Z06 Power Adders Times are denoted in green.

1---9.218 @158.20--1.46---atomicfusion -----'07.-----Details
2---9.277 @156.25--1.55---LPFSTheFett-----'07----------Details
3---9.903 @135.86--1.40---69 Vette------'07------Details
4---9.946 @139.85--1.46---07WhiteDevilZ------'07 ------Details
5---9.987 @140.65--1.51---Team #88R------'06-------Details
6--10.159 @141.47--1.66--- Ron@Vengeance Racing-----'08 -----Details
7--10.344 @152.25--1.88---INTMD8-----'07 -----Details
8--10.484 @136.86--1.65---Super4x4Duty-----'07-----Details
9--10.765 @131.90--1.66---ANIL8-U -----'06 -----Details

Steve Theodore 01-18-2009 11:00 PM

So...what did the OP end up doing anyway? :bigears

J HEBERT 01-18-2009 11:01 PM

I am gonna jump in here and say the fastest 4 C6Zs are auto tranny, I am not on the fast list, but if u people feel like u need another mid 9sec car to prove the automatic point.......

This is deja vu for me. Was not all that long ago I was preaching about the c5 shafts for the c6z, yet countless threads were started and rambled on and on about part# xxxxxx1850 shaft being the latest greatest yada yada....

Autos are not for everyone, but for my boys here and I, it's the only way to fly. Ever see a stock-suspension C6Z leave w/ front wheel up? Don't worry, I promise u will see a black one, and it has an auto w/ 3k stall;)

RICKEY BOBBY 01-19-2009 12:00 AM

I am waiting on my C6 Z06 to get swap to an auto and its the only way to fly /Ricky Bobby says If you aint first your last!

gt500SuprSnke 01-19-2009 09:03 AM

My z06 is at IPS right now getting a auto swap, i cant wait to get home to dive it. It is also getting a built LSX and supercharged. And trust me, its going to be one of the tops on the fast list.

Fast06Z06 01-19-2009 11:28 AM

Love every minute of this:D. Cant wait to see what it does and what the other guys improve and what it does. Every day convincing me more and more some day I might go to an auto again :D

:lurk:

rattt g 01-19-2009 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by 69 Vette (Post 1568603792)
While i do understand an auto tranny ZO6 isn't for everyone, for you to say a ZO6 isn't for me if I want an auto is ludacris.

Comparing it to a Camry was just an analogy. It's not often you have a 700 RWHP car that drives this incredibly well on the street. Don't let the good street manners fool you though. When you hit the gas peddle it's "bye bye baby" :flag:

Why not dump the money into the Camry and save some $$$?
Because it wouldn't run like this when i take it to the track
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE6Uxo418AI

The quickest C6 Z's in the world have auto tranny's in them yet you say our auto tranny Z's aren't for us. :rofl:

700 rwhp and your only traping 135 mph?????????
sounds like the auto is all done after the 330' mark
i know it 60 ft's like a bitch, but 135 is way low for
700 rwhp, unless the auto adds a couple hundred pounds

69 Vette 01-19-2009 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by rattt g (Post 1568608901)

Yep, we still have some tuning to do with the TCI controller to get the lockup right in 3rd gear. The 135 trap speed is without locking up the converter at all. 140+ will be coming soon :cool:

Jasil 01-19-2009 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by rattt g (Post 1568608901)

IDK depends on weight and centrifugal SC applications don't have the linear top end that turbo and nitrous applications have in general.

Example is a 2.0 EVO with E-85 in it's rpm range after the launch it is over 690whp the whole way. This is a 8.9@156mph car full interior that just beat Chancletta's 900whp TT Z06 by car lengths from 40-140mph.

Not trying to start anything just showing the difference between curves. For the record Z06's are a totally different class of car than a EVO these are just the quickest graphs I had to post.

Auto's are definately where it is at for straightline speed and consistancy!! That car will be a beast once fully dialed in.

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/o...orts/Mike2.jpg

Compare to a SC application.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2.../TimStage5.jpg

rattt g 01-19-2009 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jasil (Post 1568609194)
IDK depends on weight and centrifugal SC applications don't have the linear top end that turbo and nitrous applications have in general.

Example is a 2.0 EVO with E-85 in it's rpm range after the launch it is over 690whp the whole way. This is a 8.9@156mph car full interior that just beat Chancletta's 900whp TT Z06 by car lengths from 40-140mph.

Not trying to start anything just showing the difference between curves. For the record Z06's are a totally different class of car than a EVO these are just the quickest graphs I had to post.

Auto's are definately where it is at for straightline speed and consistancy!! That car will be a beast once fully dialed in.

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/o...orts/Mike2.jpg

Compare to a SC application.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2.../TimStage5.jpg

i was stating the 135 is low compared to my 550 rwhp z06
6 speed, i been 136 mph n/a in the 1/4 with 150 less hp
once he gets the converter to lock up it will go 140 plus
with that hp

JayplaySS2 01-19-2009 08:00 PM

Excellent idea. I would jump on one in a heartbeat. I could'nt be more pleased with my H/C LS2 A6 (Chuck COW tuned A6 - AMAZING) and I feel sorry for guys who have to bleed thier masters every few thousand miles to keep the speed shifts clean, which is a MUST with to run with a tuned A6.

My H/C/N20 99 SS gave me hell on the 2-3 shift and forget the 3-4 shift if I had 2 or 3 races back to back even after the LS7 clutch and drill mod. F-that these days.

The ONLY advantage to the manual now is a road course. My .02 anyway. :thumbs:

FastestBusaAround 01-19-2009 08:10 PM

Uhhh NO -- Dodge Challenger is now available in a stick in all models including the SRT8 and it was known at the time of your post that it was coming too...

Fast06Z06 01-19-2009 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2 (Post 1568614588)
Excellent idea. I would jump on one in a heartbeat. I could'nt be more pleased with my H/C LS2 A6 (Chuck COW tuned A6 - AMAZING) and I feel sorry for guys who have to bleed thier masters every few thousand miles to keep the speed shifts clean, which is a MUST with to run with a tuned A6.

My H/C/N20 99 SS gave me hell on the 2-3 shift and forget the 3-4 shift if I had 2 or 3 races back to back even after the LS7 clutch and drill mod. F-that these days.

The ONLY advantage to the manual now is a road course. My .02 anyway. :thumbs:

Whats the " LS7 Drill mod" in relates to the clutch? Have to do with the restrictor?

53 Blue Flame Brett 01-20-2009 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Sharky99 (Post 1565243323)
Didn't some else post this pic already?

[IMG]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...side20view.jpg[/IMG]

I'm a 1953 C1 Forum guy who wants a C6 ZO6. This is one beautiful car. Perfect, top down performance and ease of an automatic. I like manual transmissions as well, but this is just awesome.:thumbs:

RPM Transmissions is only about 15 minutes from me. They do excellent work, from what I understand. I'm thinking about having them do a transmission for my 1969 GTO conv, LS2 automatic. John Spears SPEARTECH did a 1954 Corvette LS1 automatic computer re-do for me a few years ago. He is top notch as well.

meshoooo 01-20-2009 04:03 AM

ZO6 Auto ! YuUuK !!:ack:

gt500SuprSnke 01-20-2009 09:20 AM

135mph might be alittle slow, but he still ran three 9 sec passes back to back. And that is still with the stock bottom end. I think that is still impressive. I would be happy with any car in the 9's.

PureSwank 01-20-2009 10:16 AM

Still like to have the power under my control, I'll stick to manual.

rattt g 01-20-2009 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by gt500SuprSnke (Post 1568620473)
135mph might be alittle slow, but he still ran three 9 sec passes back to back. And that is still with the stock bottom end. I think that is still impressive. I would be happy with any car in the 9's.

put a high 9sec auto z on the street and a low 10 sec z06with a 6 speed will beat it with that mph

Jasil 01-20-2009 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by rattt g (Post 1568622916)
put a high 9sec auto z on the street and a low 10 sec z06with a 6 speed will beat it with that mph

From a roll with a good driver:cheers:

JayplaySS2 01-20-2009 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Fast06Z06 (Post 1568615114)
Whats the " LS7 Drill mod" in relates to the clutch? Have to do with the restrictor?

The fluid line on the clutch master can be enlarged with a drill bit allowing more fluid per pedal pump to flow. Mine would still hang up here and there running a 125 shot on the 2-3 and 3-4 shift on full WOT upshifts.

gt500SuprSnke 01-20-2009 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by rattt g (Post 1568622916)

I wouldnt know, street racing kills. But i agree that it is a slow mph, in time i bet it will get better.

NORTY 01-20-2009 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by thegame (Post 1565692613)

Maybe the new 6L90 in the Caddie CTS-V will hold up better as it's set up for the LS99 engine. I don't know about the gear ratios however...

rattt g 01-20-2009 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by gt500SuprSnke (Post 1568624352)
I wouldnt know, street racing kills. But i agree that it is a slow mph, in time i bet it will get better.

hopefully not me