CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   How good is the stock stereo? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2216383-how-good-is-the-stock-stereo.html)

Snowwolfe 12-31-2008 03:56 PM

How good is the stock stereo?

I never thought the stock stereo on my C5 was worth a crap and am wondering if they improved any.
My new vette will have the indash 6 disc stereo and I am wondering if they have gotten any better over the years?
Also, is there anyway to connect a flash drive to it? My Honda Si allows me to connect a flashdrive to it and I love it!

KenHorse 12-31-2008 03:59 PM

I have the Nav/Radio in my '07 and I have to say that it ain't all the bad. Sure, crank up the bass and treble all the way and you have a fairly decent sounding system. Then again, I don't listen to Hip hop or Rap (mostly classic rock stuff thank you) and the Bose system sounds great to me.

I dropped a Kenwood DNX7120 into my '02 Z06 and it sounds killer to me too.

YMMV of course

Road Rage 12-31-2008 04:09 PM

I have an 07 3LT with Bose non-Nav.

Long story short: if I could call up Crutchfield for a complete plug & play system that would still work with steering wheel controls I'd do it tomorrow. And no, you can't connect a damn thing to it, just ask the iPod crowd. Better yet, don't.

photoguy 12-31-2008 04:09 PM

I have the Nav/Radio in my '07 and I have to say that it ain't all the bad. Sure, crank up the bass and treble all the way and you have a fairly decent sounding system. Then again, I don't listen to Hip hop or Rap (mostly classic rock stuff thank you) and the Bose system sounds great to me.

:iagree:

spinedoc77 12-31-2008 05:12 PM

Never had any issue with the stock stereo in any vehicle, but then I'm not one of those audiophiles with alien ears that can hear minute $50k differences in audio. I did upgrade to a Pioneer Avic 900, but didn't really notice an improvement and wasn't really expecting one as I'm happy with the stock sound even with the top down.

spin-doktor 12-31-2008 05:19 PM

got BOSE and its pretty decent.

keyplyr 12-31-2008 05:22 PM

How good is the stock stereo?

Which one, base or Bose?

flwildthg 12-31-2008 05:32 PM

As a musician I find the stereo in te C6's to be fine. You may have to turn the bass up. It also depends on how loud you like your music. I like mine fairly loud.

crescentbeachbum 12-31-2008 05:32 PM

stock is FINE

Zeppelin/George Thorogood(cranked) to Jean Luc Ponty to Sinatra to Freddie King to Koop ....(blues, jazz, rock, country, metal, fusion, ETAL)
ALL are clear, NO distortion up to EAR splitting decibles in my 2007 2lt coupe (the outside mirrors DO JUMP/VIBRATE, though, at times :D

vdavenp802 12-31-2008 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by crescentbeachbum (Post 1568388495)
Zeppelin/George Thorogood(cranked) to Jean Luc Ponty to Sinatra to Freddie King to Koop ....(blues, jazz, rock, country, metal, fusion, ETAL)
ALL are clear, NO distortion up to EAR splitting decibles in my 2007 2lt coupe (the outside mirrors DO JUMP/VIBRATE, though, at times :D

This about says it from my perspective.:cheers:

rskeller 12-31-2008 05:48 PM

I have a 2LT and the stereo is ok but it needs more base. This may seem like a stupid question but can you adjust the base and treble on it or just change the mod on it from country to rock etc.:cheers:

Gannet 12-31-2008 06:10 PM

I have the in-dash 6-disc Bose. It's ok. I don't like it as much as the similar system in my C5, so no, it hasn't improved imo. It's very difficult to extend or upgrade. If you're expecting something comparable to cars with more modern units, this ain't it.

I only find the sound quality really acceptable on CDs. Then, it sounds pretty good and can play pretty loud.

MurphMan2 12-31-2008 06:16 PM

I have the BOSE "premium" and I swapped out the front and back with some very nice POLK db series speakers and it has helped the sound measurably. Simple swap and under $200 installed.

2xmks 12-31-2008 06:35 PM

Personally I do not like the stock unit(s). If you like good sound at a decent level then stock would be fine. If you like great sound then aftermarket is the way to go. A good deck, components, sub and amps.

CENT Z06 12-31-2008 06:47 PM

I'm sure you will get a varied set of opinions ,but if you had the Bose in your C5 and did not like it, then you will not be in love with your new one. You can hook up an iPod to it. In the end, only you will be able to judge it without bias.

jdurhan 12-31-2008 06:51 PM

I changed my speakers to BA's and am very happy with my 09 Bose, is it as good as an aftermarket with amp, no. Sounds very though for stock. I will say that my 09 Saturn Vue Redline has a kick a** stereo, why they can't do it across the all brands baffles me.

FM 12-31-2008 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by MurphMan2 (Post 1568388999)
I have the BOSE "premium" and I swapped out the front and back with some very nice POLK db series speakers and it has helped the sound measurably. Simple swap and under $200 installed.

Which Polk speakers?

fyreline 12-31-2008 07:19 PM

I have the 6-CD factory unit in my '07 convertible and it's OK. Not great, but not bad.

But then, I didn't buy this car to listen to the radio.

chirocorvette 12-31-2008 07:23 PM

The stereo sucks.

Batmbl 12-31-2008 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by fyreline (Post 1568389725)
I have the 6-CD factory unit in my '07 convertible and it's OK. Not great, but not bad.

Has anyone added a plug and play changer to the nav unit? Is it difficult?

MurphMan2 12-31-2008 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by FM (Post 1568389568)
Which Polk speakers?

Front-db351
Rear--db521

This is for the C6 coupe.

LS WON 12-31-2008 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by chirocorvette (Post 1568389777)
The stereo sucks.

photoguy 01-01-2009 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by rskeller (Post 1568388685)
I have a 2LT and the stereo is ok but it needs more base. This may seem like a stupid question but can you adjust the base and treble on it or just change the mod on it from country to rock etc.:cheers:

No. Look in the manual. You can use the custom settings.

TMyers 01-01-2009 02:19 AM

If you are like me with 40% lose of hearing in one ear it is fine. Of course it caould be much better even to these semi functional ears.

keyplyr 01-01-2009 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by MurphMan2 (Post 1568389935)

Originally Posted by FM (Post 1568389568)
Which Polk speakers?

Front-db351
Rear--db521

I agree with the recommendation for the Polk db351 (great speakers) but IMO replacing the rears is pointless unless a 4 channel amp is also installed.

shopdog 01-01-2009 03:16 AM

Eclipse, Boston Acoustics, Polk, JL, etc, any good aftermarket speaker will be better than the lousy made in Mexico paper cone pieces of junk which come in the car ($120-$200). I use Bostons. But the sound stage will still be corrupt as long as you retain the 3 channel Bose amp. It feeds mixed mono to the rear and center dash speakers. That completely destroys the sound stage. A good 4 channel amp, 65 watts will be plenty, will allow you to rewire the speakers in stereo and restore the sound stage ($119-$199). I use a Pioneer amp. The stock head units are Ok, good fidelity and adequate controls, you just need to replace everything else to get a semblance of good sound. Fortunately, that doesn't have to cost very much, $250 to $400 will turn the piece of crap Bose system into something you won't be ashamed to play for your friends.

ufaj26 01-01-2009 06:12 AM

I have the base radio and overall it's good enough for me. I'm not really into all the highs and lows as many are.

A lot of times I'm just listening to the engine and exhaust. That's music to my ears !! I never get tired of hearing it.

MurphMan2 01-01-2009 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by keyplyr (Post 1568393134)
I agree with the recommendation for the Polk db351 (great speakers) but IMO replacing the rears is pointless unless a 4 channel amp is also installed.

I agree with you that the rears are not as important w/o an amp (they're mono) but Crutchfield was offering 50% off a second set of speakers. So, $130, shipped with harnesses. And they're better than what was in there for whatever little sonic gain they offer.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

rskeller 01-01-2009 03:06 PM

No. Look in the manual. You can use the custom settings

See thats the problem I did not get a manual with my 08, had it sent over from the States and they never sent me one. I would like to adjust the settings on it but I cannot figure it out.:cheers:

KenHorse 01-01-2009 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by rskeller (Post 1568397751)
No. Look in the manual. You can use the custom settings

See thats the problem I did not get a manual with my 08, had it sent over from the States and they never sent me one. I would like to adjust the settings on it but I cannot figure it out.:cheers:

You can download a copy of the manual here:

http://www.gmpartshouse.com/download...08corvette.pdf

scopeguard 01-01-2009 04:09 PM

I have the base, non-Bose, non-Nav. I retained the factory head unit. I just changed out the front and rear speakers for Polk Front-db351 and Rear-db521 with an Infinity 475A amp. I just finished up about an hour ago. I did this with the guidance of 'pentavolvo' here on this forum, could not have done it without his knowledge and patience. It was quite a job but sounds great. Just moved the 2007 Avalanche with Bose back in the garage, no comparison, sounds way better than Bose which I'm pleased with in the truck.
Don

Grzldvt 01-01-2009 04:29 PM

Just my opinion, but the C5 Blose was slightly worse than pathetic, the C6 Blose is just pathetic,, so yes there is a slight improvement.
From what I remember, as I have swapped out the speakers, and retained the stock HU, the bass sounded like it was coming out of the mud, the highs were shrill and irritating, the mid range, while a nice try, just muffled what it was supposed to control.
Had the car two days and disconnected the center speaker. Made a big difference in the sound stage, but it was still not that good. Replaced the 3.5 twiddlers, and it was better, but still missing something.
I finally got fed up with the system, and replaced the doors with a set of 6.5 CDT's, I had laying around, and installed an 8" sub in the left rear cubby, and have it all powered by a Kicker 650-4 amp. Disconnected the mono rears, and it brings on a whole new dimension to listening to a decent sounding system. Left side instruments come from the left, right side instruments come from the right, and the center sounds actually sound like they are in the center, and it is all in front of me, not spread out around the car mixed in a mess.
Took me less than a day to install everything, and it is completely stock looking.

LS WON 01-01-2009 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by ufaj26 (Post 1568393451)
I have the base radio and overall it's good enough for me. I'm not really into all the highs and lows as many are.

A lot of times I'm just listening to the engine and exhaust. That's music to my ears !! I never get tired of hearing it.

Besides being in the kind of car environment of the C-6 small cockpit will any of these upgrades really sound better?
I know one thing for sure if when I used to listen to FM I got lots of static, fade and the signal retention was :U

carnut08 01-01-2009 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by rskeller (Post 1568388685)

I have the 2LT and I've adjusted the bass for a big improvement in sound.

Here's the section from my '08 Owner's manual. It starts out with an illustration of the keys to press to enter the adjustment mode and then says:

"(Bass/Treble): Press to select BASS or
TREBLE. Turn to increase or to decrease the tone."

Another (I think so anyway) cool feature is:

"The radio saves separate AUTO EQ settings for each
preset and source."

MurphMan2 01-01-2009 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by scopeguard (Post 1568398348)
I have the base, non-Bose, non-Nav. I retained the factory head unit. I just changed out the front and rear speakers for Polk Front-db351 and Rear-db521 with an Infinity 475A amp. I just finished up about an hour ago. I did this with the guidance of 'pentavolvo' here on this forum, could not have done it without his knowledge and patience. It was quite a job but sounds great. Just moved the 2007 Avalanche with Bose back in the garage, no comparison, sounds way better than Bose which I'm pleased with in the truck.
Don

Greg (pentavolvo) advised and installed my POLK'S and on the way home tonight had a little "Friday, I'm in love" (CURE) at about 3/4 volume and all is well in my world.

bagwell 01-01-2009 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by fyreline (Post 1568389725)
I have the 6-CD factory unit in my '07 convertible and it's OK.

a big +1!

tho I do think it sounds good

johny125 01-01-2009 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by crescentbeachbum (Post 1568388495)

HyeSpeeder 01-02-2009 04:23 AM

C6 bose navi does not sound that bad.
Its the best stock sound I have heard and i'am a sound freak lol

But why the heck did they put 10 inch subs in the doors that's very dumb. Subs should always be in a nice mdf box to make good bass.

Best thing to do is put a nice jl audio Hd amp with some MB Quart Q series all around and 10 inch jl stealth box in the back. With that setup it will sound like a concert in the car .

If anyone needs stereo help Just pm me.

Happy New Year Everyone :cheers:

corC6vette 01-02-2009 05:52 AM

Bose=crappy sound IMHO, an active equalizer that boost the highs and lows with crappy mids and a fair about of distortion. :ack:

rskeller 01-02-2009 09:39 AM

thanks for the info now I have the owners manual to set my radio properly. :thumbs:

freyke 01-02-2009 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by KenHorse (Post 1568387314)

I dropped a Kenwood DNX7120 into my '02 Z06 and it sounds killer to me too.

YMMV of course

I dropped a Kenwood DNX7100 in mine - the improvement is down right silly. The stock speaker system is surprisingly good.

pentavolvo 01-03-2009 12:13 AM

I install car audio and mainly do vettes.

IMO the C5 stereo is better then the C6, and i actually find the base c6 to be better then the bose. Most people can get away with a simple speakers swap 3.5 upfront, 5.25 in back and disconnect the center channel (please do this even if ur not swapping speakers)

For well under 1g u can replace the entire front setup and rears add a 4 channel amp and blow the stock stereo away, for closer to 1g u can add a sub as well with a 5 channel amp and have a great system. Other then no USB, or ipod etc the stock unit actually dumps a clean signal

jimc62k7 01-03-2009 05:45 PM

It's good but the road noise seems to take away some of it's sound.

Originally Posted by snowwolfe (Post 1568387282)
I never thought the stock stereo on my C5 was worth a crap and am wondering if they improved any.
My new vette will have the indash 6 disc stereo and I am wondering if they have gotten any better over the years?
Also, is there anyway to connect a flash drive to it? My Honda Si allows me to connect a flashdrive to it and I love it!

Silver99v6 01-03-2009 06:44 PM

I completely changed out my sound system in my car. Now it sounds the way it should.

AORoads 01-03-2009 08:41 PM

I say, save this and other threads that you find in researching the topic, get the car, drive it around with whatever system comes in the car, and then make a decision.

Heck, if I were so inclined and driving through/near Palatine, Illinois, I just might make an advance appointment with pentavolvo and get things DONE. But then, that'd cost bucks....:rofl: Still, it's not a bad idea....one to consider. :thumbs:

NYC6 01-03-2009 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Silver99v6 (Post 1568422502)
I completely changed out my sound system in my car. Now it sounds the way it should.

I did the same. Started out just wanting a JL Stealthbox. About $4000 later....now Im happy:)