CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   GM Does Not Care About Fixing Problems - My Last Corvette (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2617376-gm-does-not-care-about-fixing-problems-my-last-corvette.html)

RedC6Vette 06-15-2010 11:31 AM

GM Does Not Care About Fixing Problems - My Last Corvette

I own a 2010 Grand Sport Corvette which the Nav unit in it. The XM radio randomly cuts in and out - not under obstructions or bridges or trees - you can not tell where or when. I have beent to two dealerships, both say they can't replicate the problem and I will have to wait until it breaks completely before they will do anything. One service manager actually said hey if we start replacing parts and put int three and don't fix then GM will have to buy it back and GM won't go down that road.

So I am stuck with an XM radio that is annoying and at times downright unusable. You would think if you pay nearly 60K for one of their products and it is the eighth Corvette you have purchased they might be interested in customer satisfaction. Obviously NOT!.

I have tried contacting the factory, they assigned an "Executive Assistance Program" to resolving the problem (right!) and this has gone nowhere. So, they have lost a loyal customer.

Now I truly understand the reason GM is bankrupt. You just can't treat customers this way.

99c54me 06-15-2010 11:47 AM

My guess is GM cares very much - that your dealer sucks. Why not try another GM dealer? Satellite reception is not rocket science. Not certain but as I understand there are XM antennas in both side mirrors. Maybe one or both connections need to be checked?

Personally I find it tough to understand your "My Last Corvette" comment all based on XM. I tend to focus on the cars performance, not some stupid XM waste of weight I would never have paid money for if it was an option.

JJC5 06-15-2010 11:59 AM

Some problems, trivial as they may seem, are a real problem to the owner but not so much to the dealer. I agree with you that this should be fixed without any questions asked. If it were me, I'd try another dealer or wait for assistance from GM. If it's a loose antenna connection (that's what it sounds like), it'll manifest itself to the point where they could diagnose it and fix it. :thumbs:

not08crmanymore 06-15-2010 11:59 AM

If you're referring to XM that disappears from the radio from time to time,it happens on mine too.I don't think it's a GM thing,but an XM thing their reception sucks and there's no 2 ways about it.I switched my module from xm to sir-gm1 and put an antenna on top of the car and the reception is way better.Sometimes though,the satellite just goes away and I have to hit the band button a few times to get it back.Other then that,check your connections out back and make sure it's tight.

z edge 06-15-2010 12:00 PM

you feel that way now, just wait till your roof starts popping and creaking!

J/K

seriously though, i wouldn't get that worked up over XM. Their customer service is so bad you will probably end up firing them anyway. i did, i have an ipod and CD's that work fine. As for getting yours fixed...Find another dealer to take it too, also maybe talk to the GM rep that is on this site...surely someone can help you find him.

The vette is truly an awesome car, im sorry for your problems.

Good luck!!

FU 06-15-2010 12:02 PM

Comon problem with XM......especially in a Corvette (plastic).

PaulB 06-15-2010 12:04 PM

Xm

I understand you being upset with the XM performance. IMO XM is about the worst of the worst when it comes to customer concern. Have you tried calling them and seeing what they can do. They may be able to do a reprogram of some kind. Hopefully that will help. I will tell you that the XM reception in my 09 Coupe has gotten poorer and poorer. It is much worse in this car than the prior cars. I get the feeling that once the merger took place something got cheapened and thats why reception is very poor in some areas. I can be out in the country and the reception gets lost. ... I also understand when talking to the dealer they say we could not get the problem to show itself it front of them. I am very tired of this. So far, the new GM has not shown me anything much better than the old GM. Good Luck...

evilmonkey 06-15-2010 12:06 PM

I personally would not blow a gasket over XM reception, but it's apparently very important to you. We have XM in our 09 Lexus and 09 Tahoe with excellent reception, but the vette's (prior 08 and current 10) have less than perfect XM reception - cuts out often.

I have noticed that it seems to cutout in the same places, even those that don't appear to have an obstruction. I've read that it may have something to do with the lack of metal body panels in the car - not sure if that's true though.

garytucker 06-15-2010 12:06 PM

Common and very much rehashed on Corvette sites...Plastic car, low-slung car...equals marginal XM reception...especially in areas with high obstructions (mountains, buildings, etc.). I've also noticed an issue with XM where I live (and really only in the area I'm in, not the whole town), but I'm guessing that it may have something to do with being only a couple miles due north of an air force base...

AKC_C6 06-15-2010 12:08 PM

I dont think the OP is making the "My Last Corvette" comment because of the XM.... Instead, its because of the customer service (or lack thereof) he's received. He'd probably feel that way regardless of what part is causing the problem.

I'm not at all suprised that the dealer failed to meet expectations. However, I'm a little disppointed to hear that GM didnt provide much help either.

I agree that the OP should try another dealer, even though it doesnt fix the underlying problem of terrible customer service.

My '07 C6 had about 7K miles when the driver's seat leather started showing excessive wear. I took it to the first dealer and they said they wont cover it under warranty as it is a common problem with the C6s. He even showed me a used C6 on the lot with similar mileage that had comparable wear. I still found it unacceptable since its a $60K car!
I took it to another dealer and he agreed that it was unacceptable and replaced it under warranty. I've been going to him ever since.
You just need to find the right dealer.

Let us know how this ends... Good luck.

esfoad 06-15-2010 12:13 PM

This is not just a Corvette problem. My last car was a 2005 Infiniti G35X with factory XM. I was never great but got noticeably worse after Sirius bought XM. I had heard that they turned off the ground repeaters (either by government FCC decree or by choice) but I was never able to confirm this. My new ride, a Ford Taurus SHO has Sirius and it is much better on my commute. I live in northern NJ and my commute is 20 miles. I find the Vette to be about par with the Infiniti.

STEVE MC 06-15-2010 12:14 PM

And this is the only reason you won't buy another GM car? :crazy:

I have a year's subscription in mine, I never listen to it. On the few occasions that I have, same problem, it cuts out frequently.
The only thing I listen to is the exhaust and it never cuts out.......except when I press the man switch. :lol:

dvilin 06-15-2010 12:29 PM

Understand your frustration but to go to the extent of why GM went Bankrupt and this being your last Vette over XM radio is a bit beyond me.

Wayne O 06-15-2010 12:35 PM

I understand your frustration but I also can see where it's hard to fix a problem that can't be replicated or observed. Did either of the dealerships perform a general diagnostics on the XM system? Assuming so and assuming no problem was found I can sort of see their point. It's like taking a car in and complaining of a 'noise.' They can check things out but in the absence of finding anything wrong there's nothing to fix. It's a Catch-22 to be sure.

I often take an unresolved problem right to the company owner. Maybe contact the Obama Administration....they seized the company. Let's see how well they do. ;)

On a more serious note, I hope it works out well for you.

billythekid310 06-15-2010 12:43 PM

I use two dealerships, one in Knoxville and one in Atlanta, both are very good. Dealerships vary, it is not General Motors. If GM owned every dealership, service would always be good (or at least in my mind it would be).

STiRob 06-15-2010 12:45 PM

Like someone mentioned earlier I dont think its the XM thats bothering him but the complete lack of competent customer service. If he cant get something as simple as the XM fixed whats going to happen if he has to bring his car in for a more serious issue.

Bill Dearborn 06-15-2010 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by RedC6Vette (Post 1574400524)
I own a 2010 Grand Sport Corvette which the Nav unit in it. The XM radio randomly cuts in and out - not under obstructions or bridges or trees - you can not tell where or when. I have beent to two dealerships, both say they can't replicate the problem and I will have to wait until it breaks completely before they will do anything. One service manager actually said hey if we start replacing parts and put int three and don't fix then GM will have to buy it back and GM won't go down that road.

So I am stuck with an XM radio that is annoying and at times downright unusable. You would think if you pay nearly 60K for one of their products and it is the eighth Corvette you have purchased they might be interested in customer satisfaction. Obviously NOT!.

I have tried contacting the factory, they assigned an "Executive Assistance Program" to resolving the problem (right!) and this has gone nowhere. So, they have lost a loyal customer.

Now I truly understand the reason GM is bankrupt. You just can't treat customers this way.

How is it GM's fault if the radio is working everytime they test the car? To fix a problem you have to have a problem to fix.

If the problem is random and there is no way to determine when it will occur how would go about trying to fix it? Would you approve/pay the dealership for tearing your car apart so they can take every part of the subsystem and subject the components to heat and vibration, etc to see if they can make the failure occur often enough to figure out what is causing it? If it doesn't fail you pay for the work and if it does they do.

If it is working when they test the car how do they know you are doing anything but blowing smoke? How do they know you just aren't very observant and don't realize the signal is being blocked by something above or beside the road?

By the way NDF or No Defect Found is a common diagnosis on electronic items no matter which industry they are marketed in. The service people in the other industries can't fix those kind of problems either.

Have you worked with the dealership to help make the problem occur or are you like Obama with BP screaming and hollering and thus getting a deaf ear?

Bill

Rule292 06-15-2010 01:47 PM

Have you ever had XM before? A friend has a scooby-do with XM and it cuts in and out just like a regular terrestrial radio does when it's on the fringe. Worse than any other satellite radio I've seen, and they are all a bit spotty.

Satellites need a clear shot at the antenna. Ever wonder why TV satellite dishes are placed where they are on houses?

Does not seem like a GM issue to me. Dump Sirius/XM.

HyperX 06-15-2010 01:53 PM

You should see how much fun I am having with Ford's sync technology. If I skip the songs too fast the entire system locks up and I have to pull a fuse or disconnect battery to reset. This is on a trial Ford for the company that we are thinking about getting.

ben dover 06-15-2010 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn (Post 1574401385)
are you like Obama with BP screaming and hollering and thus getting a deaf ear?

Bill

This made the whole thread worthwhile.

ralexand 06-15-2010 01:55 PM

XM Problems

I have noticed the same thing with my new 2010 3LT coupe. Out in the clear on the road with no obstructions, it will cut in and out. It's very annoying and I don't plan to subscribe when my free year is up. I have a 2008 Dodge Caliber with Sirius that does not have this issue. So it must be something about XM.

I love my new Corvette and the minor issue with XM is not going to keep my from enjoying it. I bought the Corvette for style and performance, not XM radio. I like listening to the music the engine plays with the exhaust opened up :thumbs:

talon90 06-15-2010 01:59 PM

It is unfortunate that you dealer has left you with this perception. I too would open a case with GM Customer Service as well as trying one last time with another dealer. It happens all too often but since the dealership is the first line of defence and typically the last to understand the customer point of view. The truth is that most dealerships simply do not see enough Corvettes in their lifetime to warrant truly skilled Corvette troubleshooting.

I would agree with most that posted this is more typical of an XM reception/transmission problem however, the dealership should be trying to put your mind at ease and not simply put you aside. I've sent off an email and hopefully someone can help you get some resolution.

C6Corvet 06-15-2010 01:59 PM

I have to say Chrysler stepped up. My Challenger was doin some strange stuff I would get no sound from the radio. I would go to my destination do what I had to. Start the car and it would play as normal. It did this on and off for 6 mos. I brought it to my local dealer not the one I bought it from. He ordered me a new unit and installed it within a week. The unit is the big one with the nav and the HDD unit. Works like a charm + he activated Sirrus for 6mo on him.:D

Vette Suspension 06-15-2010 02:00 PM

XM cutting out is common with all makes and manufacturers across the country. Found this out talking to friends and with rentals of all makes in various parts of the country.

AtHomeSoda 06-15-2010 02:05 PM

Well...

My car has XM, I have NEVER used it...So I love my car :thumbs: I would not pay to listen to radio... You should look into a I pod. Tunes in my car on 1-10 scale are a 1... If the radio is a 10 to you... you may need another car.

LarryMJones 06-15-2010 02:06 PM

Drop the XM system, if they haven't pi_ _ ed you off yet they will. They screwed up my bill so bad I finally had to cancel. It was the only way to resolve the problem. They have been calling every week trying to get me to come back, but I have found that after 6 years of SAT radio, I can live with a CD changer and local radio again. Especially since 2 of my XM equipped vehicles are hobby cars driven only ocassionally.

The Vette has a great 6 disc changer, for what you spend on XM you can buy a couple brand new disc every month.

And I am a stock owner in SAT radio.

But to be fair and as a stock owner I never had a technical problem with the Vette or other XM equipped vehicles.
LJ

LOUSVETTE 06-15-2010 02:24 PM

It would be nice to know how long the "Executive Assistance Program" has had to work on the problem. Have you tried contacting Geoff from Chevy. His screen name is Chevy Cust Svc. BY tyhe way my XM flakes in and out all the time

okbkvette 06-15-2010 02:27 PM

I have XM in a toyota sequoia and the vette. The toyota is better reception, but just a little. But toyota blue tooth is the worst trash out there.
I think a lot of it is XM, not GM. I just had a couple of very long road trips. From Oklahoma, througy to Tenn, up to Ohio and back, then out west. I had dropped XM from time to time heading east (lots more hills, etc) and hardley any west (wide open) until I got into the mountains.
But also be aware that your radio is not made by GM/delphi anymore. As I recall, the unit is Denso, which is japanese. I was pretty surprised when I saw that Denso logo, but I guess they were the low bidder.

jschindler 06-15-2010 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by STiRob (Post 1574401358)
Like someone mentioned earlier I dont think its the XM thats bothering him but the complete lack of competent customer service. If he cant get something as simple as the XM fixed whats going to happen if he has to bring his car in for a more serious issue.

I understand the frustration, but I can see the dealers point. First of all, if they can't replicate the problem then you are just asking them to start replacing things that they cannot confirm aren't working. Hell, we'd all be replacing our engines a month before the warranty runs out if they were willing on handling complaints that way.

Second, they don't own XM and cannot know if it's an equipment problem or a signal problem. My wifes Mazda (with Sirius) cuts in and out as well, and a friend has a aftermarket XM radio on his motorcycle that does the same thing.

KX 06-15-2010 02:37 PM

Well, perhaps this junior member should no longer be a member of the Corvette Society. I mean, carping about something that is not a GM manufacturing issue and bad mouthing all Corvettes in general is just immature and without merit. There are lots of options for correcting the issue but posting like you did is not one of them. Try asking for help next time and maybe you will not be so negative about such things.....

greengo 06-15-2010 02:41 PM

This can all be related to two words...................

XM SUX

One Bad Vette 06-15-2010 02:51 PM

Are you fking kidding me? Did you really buy a corvette for the xm??? Yall people on this site crack me up more and more each day. Nothing in life is perfect. Youre talking about satellite reception. I agree some if not most dealers suck balls, but your being an ass hat. If you arent getting xm reception, pop in a GD cd or plug in the ipod. Or hell heres a thought, enjoy the damn drive (the reason most of us bought a corvette to begin with).

VatorMan 06-15-2010 02:56 PM

You bought your car because it had XM ??:rofl::rofl: I've had every XM receiver on the market. They ALL drop out from time to time. I guess you feel GM needs to go up and adjust the satellite for you ?

calmtgguy 06-15-2010 03:01 PM

XM cuts in and out, it's probably not your equipment at all, it's XM. Mine did it too. G.M. has 0 control over XM's satellite. XM sucks anyway. Now really, did you buy a Corvette for it's XM radio. :lol: :seeya

STiRob 06-15-2010 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by jschindler (Post 1574402573)
I understand the frustration, but I can see the dealers point. First of all, if they can't replicate the problem then you are just asking them to start replacing things that they cannot confirm aren't working. Hell, we'd all be replacing our engines a month before the warranty runs out if they were willing on handling complaints that way.

Second, they don't own XM and cannot know if it's an equipment problem or a signal problem. My wifes Mazda (with Sirius) cuts in and out as well, and a friend has a aftermarket XM radio on his motorcycle that does the same thing.

Your right on the first part. I guess I was speaking out of similar frustrations Ive had in the past with dealers, not with GM though.

GM may not own XM but they are reponsible for having this product in there vehicles. I fortunelty have had no issues with XM or sirius in any of my cars which leads me to believe that maybe the hardware is to blame in the cars that are having problems.As an example you and I live in the same area so we should be experiencing the same issues, but we are not.

SteveTurner 06-15-2010 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by 99c54me (Post 1574400711)
My guess is GM cares very much - that your dealer sucks. Why not try another GM dealer? Satellite reception is not rocket science. Not certain but as I understand there are XM antennas in both side mirrors. Maybe one or both connections need to be checked?

Personally I find it tough to understand your "My Last Corvette" comment all based on XM. I tend to focus on the cars performance, not some stupid XM waste of weight I would never have paid money for if it was an option.

:iagree:

AKC_C6 06-15-2010 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by One Bad Vette (Post 1574402807)
Are you fking kidding me? Did you really buy a corvette for the xm??? Yall people on this site crack me up more and more each day. Nothing in life is perfect. Youre talking about satellite reception. I agree some if not most dealers suck balls, but your being an ass hat. If you arent getting xm reception, pop in a GD cd or plug in the ipod. Or hell heres a thought, enjoy the damn drive (the reason most of us bought a corvette to begin with).

Originally Posted by VatorMan (Post 1574402855)
You bought your car because it had XM ??:rofl::rofl: I've had every XM receiver on the market. They ALL drop out from time to time. I guess you feel GM needs to go up and adjust the satellite for you ?

Are you guys serious????

Its not about the XM... Its about the $hitty customer service that has the OP angry!!!!

IDSRVIT 06-15-2010 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by calmtgguy (Post 1574402910)
XM cuts in and out, it's probably not your equipment at all, it's XM. Mine did it too. G.M. has 0 control over XM's satellite. XM sucks anyway. Now really, did you buy a Corvette for it's XM radio. :lol: :seeya

If it doesn't do the same thing on AM / FM / or CD then it's not the stereo itself or a GM issue, unfortunately it's XM's issue.

While GM has XM in their cars, the GM / XM relationship is nothing more then the free trial period for promo'ing XM but GM has no control over the application.

By the way, don't blame it on the vette. It's also not only a vette thing. Our 2007 Suburban has done the same thing when using XM since we brought it home new in 2006 (yes we were stupid enough to buy a 4 year service on XM) . I too took it to the dealership and they even witnessed the issue but only in XM mode, it did not happen in AM, FM or CD so the stereo itself is not the issue. The dealership went as far as replacing the XM antenna on their dime when they didn't have to, but it didn't fix the issue.

blackfd 06-15-2010 03:47 PM

The problem with XM is a lot of areas don't have terrestrial repeaters, which are essentially ground transmitters that pick up the slack where you lose connection to the satellite in the sky... which causes the drop out you're talking about.

This will happen in an area without terrestrial repeaters with any XM receiver in a moving vehicle without direct sight of the satellite in the sky. In my city we do not have terrestrial repeaters either and it cuts in/out terribly around any buildings, or even a tall semi next to me.

While you might be disappointed with GM/Chevrolet as I have been many times regarding powertrain problems, cosmetic defects, interior defects and other annoying part failures... your case is not the cause for concern.

If you're wanting to really get upset wait until something actually breaks and see how you fight tooth and nail for a resolution.

Regarding XM, the reception sucks without those ground repeaters, the sound quality is absolute trash and the playlists of their channels has shrunken to that of any other radio station with commcericals... I dropped them last year after I was willing to deal with the other caveats... tiny playlists was the last straw for me.

good luck, buy an ipod or burn some mp3 cd's

Boomer111 06-15-2010 03:52 PM

Cancel the XM get the car sounding nice and enjoy.

Vette Suspension 06-15-2010 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by AKC_C6 (Post 1574403288)
Are you guys serious????

Its not about the XM... Its about the $hitty customer service that has the OP angry!!!!

What is a dealer to do if they cannot duplicate the problem? Just pop in a new Nav and hope the XM reception is better? Please.:crazy:

C6Tim 06-15-2010 04:06 PM

I'm going to got out on a limb here and assume you are just pretty frustrated and are not serious when you say that you are never going to buy another Corvette because of a radio problem or the poor service of a dealership.

Dealing with a intermittent problem that your repairman cannot duplicate is extremely frustrating whether it's a car or some other mechanical/electrical appliance.

Without knowing the whole story I would expect the dealership to take your word for it and at least replace the XM module and double check all the connections to ensure everything seems to be in order. Occasional interruptions in the satellite signal are not unusual, but if it is happening fairly frequently then there is most likely a mechanical explanation.

Take a deep breath and let the case you filed with GM customer service run it's course and go from there. Be happy that you are not paying for the XM service at this point anyway. I put the PAL in my 2010 GS and rarely listen to the XM that I'm receiving for free. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

RanGer498 06-15-2010 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn (Post 1574401385)
How is it GM's fault if the radio is working everytime they test the car? To fix a problem you have to have a problem to fix.

If the problem is random and there is no way to determine when it will occur how would go about trying to fix it? Would you approve/pay the dealership for tearing your car apart so they can take every part of the subsystem and subject the components to heat and vibration, etc to see if they can make the failure occur often enough to figure out what is causing it? If it doesn't fail you pay for the work and if it does they do.

If it is working when they test the car how do they know you are doing anything but blowing smoke? How do they know you just aren't very observant and don't realize the signal is being blocked by something above or beside the road?

By the way NDF or No Defect Found is a common diagnosis on electronic items no matter which industry they are marketed in. The service people in the other industries can't fix those kind of problems either.

Have you worked with the dealership to help make the problem occur or are you like Obama with BP screaming and hollering and thus getting a deaf ear?

Bill

:iagree:

lastcowboy 06-15-2010 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by z edge (Post 1574400842)
you feel that way now, just wait till your roof starts popping and creaking!

J/K

seriously though, i wouldn't get that worked up over XM. Their customer service is so bad you will probably end up firing them anyway. i did, i have an ipod and CD's that work fine. As for getting yours fixed...Find another dealer to take it too, also maybe talk to the GM rep that is on this site...surely someone can help you find him.

The vette is truly an awesome car, im sorry for your problems.

Good luck!!

.......:iagree::iagree:...

gtovett 06-15-2010 04:10 PM

Sounds like you're just upset that the dealer didn't tear into the car to check every connection as soon as you walked in the door and told them about the problem.

I understand the frustration about dealer's saying they can't duplicate the problem. I've run through that with my transmission. But they can't fix something they can't determine to be broken. It would be a huge waste of time for them.

If thats the last straw for you with regards to staying a GM customer than thats unfortunate for you, but it's your opinion and your money. Do what you please. But I don't think THIS incident is a very good thing to base that kind of decision off of.

To each their own.

2006c6keller 06-15-2010 04:17 PM

2006 C6 XM has not had any problem, BUT that is not for other things, like 14 of them

Originally Posted by 08crm (Post 1574400839)
If you're referring to XM that disappears from the radio from time to time,it happens on mine too.I don't think it's a GM thing,but an XM thing their reception sucks and there's no 2 ways about it.I switched my module from xm to sir-gm1 and put an antenna on top of the car and the reception is way better.Sometimes though,the satellite just goes away and I have to hit the band button a few times to get it back.Other then that,check your connections out back and make sure it's tight.

My 06 C6 A6 F55 has had absolutely NO problems with XM but can't say that for 14 other electrical and mechanical things, I will not list but have listed before on several threads, it took 33 months and 34k miles to resolve and two dealerships to resolve. My XM has worked very well but the only times it has cut out is in the mountains. So far I have been satisified with XM BUT not with the previous other electrical and maintenance problems. The 14 problems that have been finally resolved has made the car a pleasure to drive now, at last! l'm finally enjoying the the previous $57k piece of junk, no joke, even though GM took my 1K shares of stock which cost me another $57K; therefore, my car really cost me $114k and this is NO joke!

Dave_C6 06-15-2010 04:25 PM

How does a post like this, which is a crybaby whine about XM radio dropouts, inspire three pages of comments?

FWIW, I could care less if the OP has "bought his last Corvette." Leaves one more available for the rest of us.

blackfd 06-15-2010 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dave_C6 (Post 1574403916)
How does a post like this, which is a crybaby whine about XM radio dropouts, inspire three pages of comments?

FWIW, I could care less if the OP has "bought his last Corvette." Leaves one more available for the rest of us.

I think because we all secretly know quality control and fit/finish is far from perfect, further compounded by disappointment when trying to get any resolution from a dealer or corporate... so when someone making a compliant we want to make sure it's valid because there's SOME things about the car that aren't GM's fault lol.

jschindler 06-15-2010 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by STiRob (Post 1574403227)
Your right on the first part. I guess I was speaking out of similar frustrations Ive had in the past with dealers, not with GM though.

GM may not own XM but they are reponsible for having this product in there vehicles. I fortunelty have had no issues with XM or sirius in any of my cars which leads me to believe that maybe the hardware is to blame in the cars that are having problems.As an example you and I live in the same area so we should be experiencing the same issues, but we are not.

Your point that GM is responsible - yes, if it's an equipment problem. But the owner of the car actually has a contract with XM - NOT GM for the service. That's why it's important that the dealer replicate the problem.

It would cost them a lot of money to replace hardware only to find out that it's a signal issue from XM. And yes - that is a complicated issue in that different radios from different manufacturers are going to vary in how well they receive a marginal signal from XM.

basacowan 06-15-2010 05:22 PM

If you are basing owning a car on XM than I don't think any vehicle will be satisfactory and perhaps you will need a bicycle. I canned XM after the free period because it cuts in and out and is just plain ole unreliable. My XM is my M2W open all the time and enjoying the ride. If I want music I play my IPOD with music I want to listen to. I don't know if it is me or not but it sure seems when I had the free XM that they recycled the same music over and over with not much of a choice.

2006c6keller 06-15-2010 05:36 PM

Look at the FULL picture!

Originally Posted by 2006c6keller (Post 1574403823)
My 06 C6 A6 F55 has had absolutely NO problems with XM but can't say that for 14 other electrical and mechanical things, I will not list but have listed before on several threads, it took 33 months and 34k miles to resolve and two dealerships to resolve. My XM has worked very well but the only times it has cut out is in the mountains. So far I have been satisified with XM BUT not with the previous other electrical and maintenance problems. The 14 problems that have been finally resolved has made the car a pleasure to drive now, at last! l'm finally enjoying the the previous $57k piece of junk, no joke, even though GM took my 1K shares of stock which cost me another $57K; therefore, my car really cost me $114k and this is NO joke!

Originally Posted by Dave_C6 (Post 1574403916)

Originally Posted by blackfd (Post 1574404150)
I think because we all secretly know quality control and fit/finish is far from perfect, further compounded by disappointment when trying to get any resolution from a dealer or corporate... so when someone making a compliant we want to make sure it's valid because there's SOME things about the car that aren't GM's fault lol.

We, at least most of us, know that many of the problems are absolutely unnecessary and many could be easily resolved BUT GM is counting pennies when we are PAYING DOLLARS. That is not a bad deal for GM, just short sightiness on the part of GM. I would NOT be making statements like I did above but the facts speaks for themselves. I never dreamed of all the problems I was buying when I was purchasing a C6 Corvette. I'm happy now but I had to fight GM and dealers to finally get it fixed; unfortunately, they were not consistent with problem solving methods. Many times they were "DELAY, DELAY, & DELAY", some service managers were positive about solving problems, BUT others were not! So other owners have legimitate gripes about GM, I have experienced them, many have been lucky, but I and others haven't!

SRQStingray 06-15-2010 05:37 PM

I had XM in my 350Z and it cut out in the same places as the XM in my Vette. It's XM, not GM at fault.

SSSmokin99 06-15-2010 05:40 PM

XM in my '09 Pontiac G8 GT generally works very well. In the last month, I have had some dropouts. But this is one time of the year when sunspot activity will mess with all forms of satellite and other communication. If you guys are having more trouble right now than before, I would bet that could have something to do with it.

You will sometimes be able to pickup FM signals from very far away during sunspot activity also.

2vette2 06-15-2010 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by FU (Post 1574400867)

:iagree: Mine also fades in and out, but it has never lasted over a few seconds, so I just live with it.

Vette Suspension 06-15-2010 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by blackfd (Post 1574404150)

I would have to say my 09 with 14,000 miles has been perfect along with a fit and finish that truely matches up to the 08 MB it is parked next to in my garage.

We all know GM and the Corvette has has problems with fit & finish among other things. However, after seeing what is going on with Toyota & Honda I'm just thankful the car stops on a dime.

Shelbyvette 06-15-2010 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by 99c54me (Post 1574400711)

:iagree: If the radio is your only problem with a great vehicle then take off the top roll down the windows enjoy the CAR.

George W Young 06-15-2010 06:05 PM

XM Reception

I have an '05 C-6 with that awful antenna sitting on top of the car. I have never had any XM radio reception problems unless I went under a bridge or through a tunnel. I don't like it, but it works.I was thinking about having the antenna removed, but now I don't know.
Remember the first in-glass antennas? They were not very good but my Cadillac has one and the XM radio works great.
They took the antenna off the roof in '06 and probably don't have it really prefected yet. That doesn't help you but I would talk to other dealers and you will probably find one that at least will try to solve your problem. Surely most Vettes don't have this problem, I would hope.
When you get it fixed, please let us know.

lastcowboy 06-15-2010 06:12 PM

VETTE'S are great,,,,,,,GM SUCKS:nonod:

uwant1 06-15-2010 06:18 PM

it's not the radio but the service, I have both XM and sirius and two radio's after market and factory, and get the same problem in open area's no radio for miles and than it come's back on. So it's not the radio

Rusler John 06-15-2010 06:23 PM

About XM radio. You guys are going to think I'm nuts, but, a friend of mine, who is an info, electronics, communication geek, said, that, sun spots are causing the disturbance. There's a super amount of sun storms or disturbances, this year, and it's creating havoc with a lot of the satellite rebounds. I don't know if this is true or not, but, it sounds feasible. I've never had so much blacking out with XM before and even my cable TV acts up, now and then.

ryoder 06-15-2010 08:14 PM

I had an s10 that shut down while driving down the highway almost every day and that was in extended warranry period. I took it to 4 dealers 6 times over a month's time and they never could fix the problem. I ended up trading it in and buying a Silverado and it was a great truck.

Skullbussa 06-15-2010 08:32 PM

Satellite radio will be dead/bankrupt in 5 years anyway. I wouldn't lose much sleep over it.

Services like Pandora (through cell phone services) and wifi-equipped cars that are coming onto the market from Ford will be the final nail in the XM/Sirius coffin.

if I sound like I'm rooting for satellite's demise....I am. I wrestled with XM for the past two years and the constant signal drop, re-shuffling of music stations, and repeated lowering of sound quality. No more.

RUBYREDVET 06-15-2010 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by dvilin (Post 1574401172)
Understand your frustration but to go to the extent of why GM went Bankrupt and this being your last Vette over XM radio is a bit beyond me.

:iagree: If the XM went out on my '08 Z I would ask for a refund of my subscription and call it a day.:D

2006c6keller 06-15-2010 09:27 PM

Your NOT nuts.

Originally Posted by Rusler John (Post 1574405240)
About XM radio. You guys are going to think I'm nuts, but, a friend of mine, who is an info, electronics, communication geek, said, that, sun spots are causing the disturbance. There's a super amount of sun storms or disturbances, this year, and it's creating havoc with a lot of the satellite rebounds. I don't know if this is true or not, but, it sounds feasible. I've never had so much blacking out with XM before and even my cable TV acts up, now and then.

You and your friend are NOT nuts, you are correct. I'm not an expert in the field but are familar with what you are talking about because of working around and repairing similar type of equipment in the military. Yes, we had trouble with sun spots messing up and garbling radio, etc. transmissions and receptions. Usually it would last for a few days or so and then would die down until the next event in the future. This would happen several times a year and then start over. A way of life in communications. Therefore, the uneducated in radio communications should hopefully gain some knowledge about this problem, just think about lighting! :cheers:

gbgary 06-15-2010 09:33 PM

come on...you can't be serious. you're willing to give up on this car and gm over a stupid radio?

2006c6keller 06-15-2010 09:41 PM

???

Originally Posted by gbgary (Post 1574407419)
come on...you can't be serious. you're willing to give up on this car and gm over a stupid radio?

I don't know about the radio BUT I do know about STUPID GM. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

gbgary 06-15-2010 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by 2006c6keller (Post 1574407513)
I don't know about the radio BUT I do know about STUPID GM. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

i met you at a gtg in southlake i believe. didn't you have some rattle issue that finally got taken care of?

johnodrake 06-15-2010 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by FU (Post 1574400867)

:iagree: Comes and goes sometimes - in the Corvette and the Cadillac.

TWOBUELLS 06-15-2010 09:59 PM

Your going to give up on GM and your Corvette because the XM radio cuts in and out , Give me a friggin break.....:rofl:
I could give two sheets about the radio....:crazy:

phileaglesfan 06-15-2010 10:02 PM

XM is pitiful. Just go to a "tree-heavy" state and you won't be listening to it. Kentucky was too much for my Impala's and it is metal. Washington really pissed it off.

Top_Fuel 06-15-2010 10:13 PM

+1 on the lack of terrestrial repeaters as a possible problem. :yesnod:

I live near a repeater and can get XM in my garage with the door down! :eek: :crazy: But I've been on some drives out in the middle of nowhere and the signal sometimes drops out.

I have a portable XM radio connected to the factory XM antenna in my Pontiac. When the signal gets weak, I can pull up a meter on the unit and tell which signal it's using (terrestrial or satellite) and how strong the signal is. Too bad the factory radio doesn't do that.

I don't blame the dealer for not throwing new parts at a problem he can't replicate. They're specifically not supposed to do that.

LORDDVADER 06-15-2010 10:33 PM

I think a few folks hit your issue dead on. It isn't so much an issue with the CAR, its an issue with the XM radio. From my experience, it tends to be the stock factory set up. I had Sirius on my Charger (the car i traded for the Vette- and never looked back) The reception would cut in and out A LOT. I bought the Vette, added an after market Sirius set up from a car audio place and have not had the problem again (except in an enclosed garage). Sorry I know it doesn't really help you, but perhaps you can go to a car audio place and look into a seperate antenna (mine is on the rear window)

2006c6keller 06-16-2010 03:56 AM

??

Originally Posted by gbgary (Post 1574407563)
i met you at a gtg in southlake i believe. didn't you have some rattle issue that finally got taken care of?

I live near SL but I did a GTG, a hamburger place off 1709, in SL maybe 3 years ago, and a breakfast GTG about the same time in Grapevine. I had a top rattle, latches, and a door shim rattle that got repaired in the last two years. Hope that helps. :cheers:

Bat Man 06-16-2010 08:07 AM

I can't stand the "we can not replicate problem" BS!! How about they ask you to come out and go over the issue with the technician? But no, they want to wait until the end of the day, and tell you, can't find a problem. I think they do this to get us corvette owners out of their hair.

Honestly, I doubt Chevrolet service managers like servicing corvettes. Another reason why we should belong to the Cadillac side for purchasing and maintenance.

Bat Man 06-16-2010 08:09 AM

OP a suggestion, GM still has the 60 day buy back right? If so, just threaten to use it. But don't threaten the service manager, call your original salesman or sales manager and explain to them. They'll put the heat on the service manager.

wrongway 06-16-2010 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Valleybacker (Post 1574410345)
I can't stand the "we can not replicate problem" BS!! How about they ask you to come out and go over the issue with the technician? But no, they want to wait until the end of the day, and tell you, can't find a problem. I think they do this to get us corvette owners out of their hair.

Honestly, I doubt Chevrolet service managers like servicing corvettes. Another reason why we should belong to the Cadillac side for purchasing and maintenance.

It's not just corvettes. I had my silverado in the dealership twice because the gas gauge wasn't working correctly. It wouldn't move as I burned gas and would show full when the tank was almost half empty. They told me there is nothing wrong with it of course, which has been my experience with any problem not under recall. When the fuel pump came apart inside the gas tank leaving me stranded on the freeway, then they believed me. I am waiting for the tranny to break next. I have had it in the dealership for hard/incorrect shift points and they tell me it's fine as well. The first to second shift sometimes rattles my teeth and one of these times it is just going to break. My 2007 low mileage vette leaves oil on the floor of the garage. Wonderful quality there along with the clutch, top popping noises, etc. I will never buy another GM product.

And for those of you berating the thread starter for complaining about the radio, he isn't complaining about the radio, HE'S COMPLAINING ABOUT POOR SERVICE FROM GM. And he shouldn't have to waste time going dealer to dealer looking for proper service. Proper service starts with consistency. I don't blame him for not wanting another GM product.

BSE1956 06-16-2010 09:00 AM

If shaky XM is enough to get you so upset as to give up your GS, then you should not be driving a Corvette. You can just PM me, and I'll be happy to come over, take that obnoxious little car off your hands and relieve your stress levels. ;)
I've given up on my local dealer and bought the Helms manuals. I'll figure it out.

Vette Suspension 06-16-2010 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Valleybacker (Post 1574410345)

If a issue or problem cannot be dupliacted what should they do? At what point do they stop replacing everything people brought in? Sadly, it makes no sense to replace something the tech cannot find a issue with. However, if they did my Vette would be loaded up with new parts.

Chevy Cust Svc 06-16-2010 10:21 AM

Hello,

I do apologize for the problems you are experiencing. I see that you are working with Executive Customer Assistance. Can you please send me your VIN in a private message that way I can review your case and what is going on with it? Again, I do apologize for the inconveniences you are experiencing.

Geoff Allen
Chevrolet Customer Service

ORANGEC6VERT 06-16-2010 10:34 AM

Based on customer feedback-because they DO care and listen-GM tried to hide the XM antenna as much as possible. Most owners do not even know where it is. ALL XM service fades in and out. At times it seems worse than others. It is random, which is why your dealer cant duplicate it. Fact is it is probably normal. I drive my Corvette every day, and I have the problem. I drive any number of other vehicles in the course of my work at a dealership, and they all do it. I dont like it, but I have been in other (non-GM) products that do the same thing. I am sorry that the XM doesnt meet your standards, but in this case I dont blame the dealer, although it sounds like a better explanation may have helped you a bit.

Top_Fuel 06-16-2010 10:47 AM

1st Rule of Automotive Technician Training: Verify the customer's concern

If a tech can't duplicate your problem, they'll have a heck of a time fixing it. Techs get paid on a flat rate scale...they don't get paid an hourly wage. They only have a limited time to figure out where the problem is. If a tech spends hours trying to chase down a problem which can't be duplicated, he will lose money and won't be employed very long.

So if I pick up a work order with a complaint on it...and I can't duplicate your concern after a reasonable amount of time, then I have to move on to the next vehicle or I don't make any money! Like it or not, that's the way the flat rate system works.

Manufacturers aren't really big on paying warranty time OR paying for a technician to "throw new parts" at a problem until it's fixed.

Canis lupus 06-16-2010 11:17 AM

I had a problem with my 09 after getting it... the dealer and GM didn't care to fix it as they should have.... today I buy my first Ford because with GM there is no successful resolution for the owner.

redzone 06-16-2010 11:24 AM

And I thought there was something wrong with my radio.....mine's been cutting out for months now.

RonnieC6Z 06-16-2010 11:58 AM

I have had XM in every Vette that I have owned since 2005, including my 10 GS. Never had a problem with XM cutting out, and XM is all that I listen to. So it must have something to do with the area.