CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   2011 Grand Sport Convertible vs. Porsche Boxster S (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2680592-2011-grand-sport-convertible-vs-porsche-boxster-s.html)

zmonster 09-13-2010 03:55 PM

2011 Grand Sport Convertible vs. Porsche Boxster S

I assume since this is a Vette forum, the Vette will win out, but can anyone with experience driving both of these cars comment on how they compare in all areas? A fully loaded GS convertible ends up at $75K MSRP. The base Boxster S with the same options as Vette (and a few more the Vette doesn't offer) also ends up around $75K. So both cars are basically the same price, with the Vette giving 4.0s 0-60, and the Boxster giving 5.0s.

The Boxster appears to be much more refined on the inside, and both cars have their ups/downs in terms of exterior appearance. Vette has more trunk space with top up or down, but interior and seats on Vette are low quality. I drove the Vette (both manual and automatic) and it is a nice, solid, stable and smooth ride. I have yet to test drive the Boxster S. I have narrowed my second "fun" car search down to these two, so any input would be appreciated. I assume the Porsche would hold its value more, but maybe not? I also don't want to get into a Vette if they are going to release the C7 in the next 1-2 years...

Racer 09-13-2010 03:58 PM

Hmm, poor mans Porsche, or the Z06's little brother....No contest. GS:smash::smash:
Also, if you think the Boxter holds it's value, somebody is misleading you, It's no Cayman, it is the weakest link in the Porsche family. :cheers:

c1vettes 09-13-2010 04:06 PM

Boy are you asking the wrong question on this site!:toetap:

Go read C&D, they will put you in the P-car, but you won't have as much fun, as much excelleration.:ack:

Besides, were prettier:rofl:

Why to you care about the C7 now? Now is now!

Lebowski 09-13-2010 04:08 PM

I would test drive both. I would say $75k is a lot for a Boxster ... then again $75k is a lot for a (sub-Z06) Vette, too. I didn't realize the GS was that much.

They are both great cars. The Vette has noticeably more power, the Boxster has better fit & finish and likely better feedback and handling. I do not think you can go wrong, it will largely depend on your individual preferences as to which YOU think is more fun to drive. Do not listen to people who knock the Boxster as a poor man's porsche or a chick car or any of that, it's a good little roadster ... just as you shouldn't listen to any of the porsche snobs who knock the corvette.

If it were me, between the two I'd probably say Boxster S, though if I was in the $75k range (and didn't need the practicality of my C6 Coupe) I think I'd pony up just a bit more or look used and get a 911 or a Z06. I don't know it just seems like $75k is within spitting distance of both. I'm not a vert guy though.

pettvette 09-13-2010 04:21 PM

At 13.8 in the quarter, that makes the Boxster S a 1/2 second slower than my 95 LT1 automatic C4 was...

indyjack18 09-13-2010 04:21 PM

I just ordered a 2011 GS vert..... Cuz it's America's sports car, and I'm American

DRLC5 09-13-2010 04:35 PM

I have owned several C6s and one Porsche Carrera which is a huge upgrade from the Boxter. The Porsche I owned for only 2 weeks that should tell you something. Great build quality No torque no real power. And I had the new upgraded PDK trans and new engine with more power? I really liked the way it took corners but how many corners can I take fast? I now have a 2010 BMW 6series which I love. Buy the Vette it will kik the P car arse all day long. I should also mention the P car is very noisey on the inside alot of road noise the Vette is as quiet as a caddy compared to my Carrera.:thumbs:

Raazor 09-13-2010 04:37 PM

Porche = Ghey :yesnod:

thomastl 09-13-2010 04:39 PM

MSRP for a fully loaded 2011 GS vert is about $75k.
You can definetly buy it for less than that. How much less - depends on your dealer, color, options you really want, etc... Probably close to $10k less.

One other thing to realize is - do you just want a car for you to drive or do you want to get involved in a car club for fun cruises, car shows, etc.....
If so, check the local clubs and see where you fit in best.
For me, it is a no brainer. Our Vette club is fantastic here and makes owning a vette go from just another car to why would you want anything else. Things like supporting the Wounded Warriers (giving them rides in the Veterans Day Parade), WWII Honor Flight Ceremonies, Toys for Tots drives, and the list goes on.

TARANTULA 09-13-2010 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Raazor (Post 1575313256)

Porche= Ghey
Porsche= great cars if you have the money.

DRLC5 09-13-2010 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by raazor (Post 1575313256)
porche = ghey :yesnod:

lmao...

Raazor 09-13-2010 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by TARANTULA (Post 1575313333)
Porche= Ghey

:withstupid:

Raazor 09-13-2010 04:45 PM

:lolg: You guys are tough with the typos :lolg:

I refuse to fix it. :yesnod:

zmonster 09-13-2010 04:51 PM

I am actually leaning towards the Vette. It has a larger trunk (for my golf clubs :) ), and I love the new Inferno Orange color. If GM would just upgrade the interior to the level that a $75K car should have, it would be an absolute no-brainer (that's why I asked about when the C7 will come out). I drove the GS, I LOVE it. I have a feeling I'll like the way the Boxster S drives when I drive it this week too. So it will all come down to a hard decision.

Can anyone point me to a set of pictures that will show an inferno orange GS looks with the two different two-tone seat colors inside (i.e. cashmere/black, and titanium/black)?

Thanks.

vettedoogie 09-13-2010 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by zmonster (Post 1575312747)
I also don't want to get into a Vette if they are going to release the C7 in the next 1-2 years...

This makes no sense. Why would this be an issue? Might as well add another year to that because people generally don't want to buy into the first year of any generation.

Raazor 09-13-2010 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by vettedoogie (Post 1575313437)
i like pie :yesnod:

:withstupid:

redzone 09-13-2010 04:55 PM

Dunno why Porsche gets so much negativity around here. As far as fun to drive quotient goes,I have yet to drive any car that has better driver feedback.

Is it as fast as a GS? Heck no,but it handles like a go-cart,and is a lot of fun on a twisty road. The question you have to ask yourself is can I live without the low end grunt. Because the GS has it covered in spades as far as that's concerned.

I suggest you drive them both as close to back to back as you can arrange & make your decision then.

vettedoogie 09-13-2010 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by zmonster (Post 1575313430)
I am actually leaning towards the Vette. It has a larger trunk (for my golf clubs :) ), and I love the new Inferno Orange color.

So you like the new Tomato color? So far this is one of the most disliked new Corvette colors (on CF) I have ever heard of. To each his own.:D

zmonster 09-13-2010 05:02 PM

Also, does anyone know why the GS 0-60 time is 3.95 seconds, and the normal vette is 4.2?

The GS appears to have the same engine, transmission, etc, as the regular vette, and launch control is available on both. So why the faster 0-60 for the Grand Sport?

(and is it correct to assume the 0-60 of 3.95 is only achievable if you use launch control, or can you actually get faster than 3.95 if you use launch control)?

cclive 09-13-2010 05:04 PM

The Vette can run away from the Boxster like it is standing still...go drive one and it will be immediately obvious.:thumbs:

DRLC5 09-13-2010 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by vettedoogie (Post 1575313492)
So you like the new Tomato color? So far this is one of the most disliked new Corvette colors (on CF) I have ever heard of. To each his own.:D

:iagree:

dvilin 09-13-2010 05:07 PM

Drive them both and you will choose the Vette if you like power thoughout the RPM range, storage space, looks and value.

zmonster 09-13-2010 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by vettedoogie (Post 1575313492)

You're telling me you don't like this color combo? But instead with black tinted headlamps, grey spokes, and a black top? OK, well, you and I completely disagree.

http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezfl...cd_gallery.jpg

Racer 09-13-2010 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Lebowski (Post 1575312904)
Do not listen to people who knock the Boxster as a poor man's porsche or a chick car or any of that, it's a good little roadster ... just as you shouldn't listen to any of the porsche snobs who knock the corvette.

Real Porsche owners even knock Boxsters. The only people who don't knock Boxsters are Boxster owners, or people who really want a Porsche but can't afford one, so they are leaning towards a pretend one.
My wifes former Solstice GXP was faster than a Boxster. :ack:

Hey Razzor, what do you think of Boxters? :lurk:

Never Say Never 09-13-2010 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by redzone (Post 1575313458)
Dunno why Porsche gets so much negativity around here. As far as fun to drive quotient goes,I have yet to drive any car that has better driver feedback.

Is it as fast as a GS? Heck no,but it handles like a go-cart,and is a lot of fun on a twisty road. The question you have to ask yourself is can I live without the low end grunt. Because the GS has it covered in spades as far as that's concerned.

I suggest you drive them both as close to back to back as you can arrange & make your decision then.

Pretty simple. Not only as Raazor so eloquently stated that it's GHEY the car is also friggin butt ugly.

Cruncher 09-13-2010 05:42 PM

You know, you can get a Cayman S for the price of a GS, as long as you don't check everything on the option list. Which would you think has less problems and is more reliable? Hint: the employees drink Warsteiner or Becks or Bitburger.

cclive 09-13-2010 05:47 PM

I can put two golf bags in the trunk of my Vert, the only place for a golf bag in a Boxster is in the passenger seat.:thumbs:

Never Say Never 09-13-2010 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Cruncher (Post 1575314018)
You know, you can get a Cayman S for the price of a GS, as long as you don't check everything on the option list. Which would you think has less problems and is more reliable? Hint: the employees drink Warsteiner or Becks or Bitburger.

:rolleyes:

Second shot at Corvette quality within minutes of one another. Do I detect an agenda here?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...the-forum.html

Again research and you will learn.

Chevrolet Corvette and Corvette Assembly Ranked High by JD Power ...
Jul 10, 2009 ... Chevrolet Corvette was ranked the Best GM Model by JD Power2. Second, the Bowling Green team secured the Bronze Plant Award. ...
blogs.corvettefever.com/.../corvette...corvette...corvette...jd-power/index.html - Cached

Awards & Accolades — Corvette: Sales, News & Lifestyle
Just a week after JD Power announced the Chevrolet Corvette as the best Sports .... 2009 Corvette ZR1 Nominated for World Performance Car of the Year Award .... the “bookend” Corvettes, the last one produced at the St. Louis plant and ...
http://www.corvetteblogger.com/categ...rds-accolades/ - Cached

jschindler 09-13-2010 06:20 PM

If you never track your car, and don't read Car & Driver - I'll bet you'd never complain about the interior. I'm on my fourth C6 and have no complaints about the interior. Could it be better? Sure. But not enough to be a complaint.

On the other hand, I'd be plenty pissed if I spent $70,000 and got a car that doesn't have much more power than a Honda Accord V6. I'm not knocking the Porsche - I appreciate their strengths. But in this day and age a $70,000 sports car with only 320 hp is pathetic.

TTRotary 09-13-2010 06:28 PM

I just test-drove a Boxster S Spyder (320HP, 160lb lighter than regular Boxtser S) a few weeks ago. Good sales experience, the guy even let me drive it very hard. It is a nice, tight little car that does exactly what a mid-engine car should do: slide through the corners and remain congtrollable via the throttle. The car had a lot of grunt (more than I expected), and a more natural, balanced feel than the Vette does - when the Vette is on the runcraps. Put real tires on the Vette and it's a whole new ballgame.

Overall, and without discussion of price, in my opinion:

1.The Boxster needs more power.

2. The Boxster does not have enough grip - it breaks loose too early albeit in a nice 4W drift. Frankly, my BMW 335i with the Sport package can give the Boxster S a good run for the money and has better grip.

3. Interior and ergonomics / seats are awesome and best in class.

4. It reminds me mostly of a very refined 3rd Gen Mazda RX-7 with that natural chassis feel.

5. Brakes are very strong with excellent feel.

This is great until you factor in price, at which point the Boxster is simply not competitive. I would choose an M3 over the Boxster any day in that price range. The Boxster is really worth mid 40s in my book. Sorry.

Then there is the issue of raw performance and the Vette simply provides more of that everywhere. Forget the GS. At the price level of my tester Spyder, I could have a Z06. Frankly, the Corvette's absolute #1 limiting factor, is those run-flat tires. When that is removed, the Vette is simply an unbelievable performer. And as it so happens, there will be new tires on the 2011 GS and Z06. These will be major game-changers.

Let me put it into perspective: I took the sales guy out in my '05 (modded) C6 which run on Toyo R888s. He came back speechless. He finally said: "I had no idea these cars were this good. I'd like to sell you a Porsche today but I frankly don't know what I could offer you to interest you given this car, short of a GT3".

vettedoogie 09-13-2010 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by zmonster (Post 1575313802)
You're telling me you don't like this color combo? But instead with black tinted headlamps, grey spokes, and a black top? OK, well, you and I completely disagree.

OK.

I'm just sayin' there have been a lot of people here who have commented negatively about the color. I'm not generally a red car fan myself anyway.:rolleyes:

Never Say Never 09-13-2010 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by jschindler (Post 1575314391)
If you never track your car, and don't read Car & Driver - I'll bet you'd never complain about the interior. I'm on my fourth C6 and have no complaints about the interior. Could it be better? Sure. But not enough to be a complaint.

On the other hand, I'd be plenty pissed if I spent $70,000 and got a car that doesn't have much more power than a Honda Accord V6. I'm not knocking the Porsche - I appreciate their strengths. But in this day and age a $70,000 sports car with only 320 hp is pathetic.

:iagree: Bravo.:thumbs:

3GenVettes 09-13-2010 06:31 PM

In comparing the GS versus the Boxster, although the prices are similar, the cars are as you know very different. If you like the compact size of the Boxster the base vette convertible might be a better comparison. I've not owned a Boxster, but have driven them, however, not extensively. It is beyond me how Porsche justifies the price of that car. I like and respect Porsches, but if buying a Porsche I'd aim higher. Frankly, I think the Miata is more of a competitor to the Boxster than the vette is, because philosophically the Miata is more similar to Boxster as a small nimble car.

JLinCA 09-13-2010 06:34 PM

:rofl::rofl::thumbs:

Leprkon 09-13-2010 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by zmonster (Post 1575313546)
Also, does anyone know why the GS 0-60 time is 3.95 seconds, and the normal vette is 4.2?

In a word... GRAB

you have another 3 inches of rubber putting everything into the ground (stock vette 285 rear tires, stock GS 325, with the ability to go to 345). :yesnod:

RicK T 09-13-2010 06:46 PM

Welcome to the Forum!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

Never owned one but always liked P-cars somewhat.

If you haven't already, just Google, Porsche intermediate shaft problems. There "were" many, many failures, most not covered by warranty. May have been corrected by now but I doubt it. Just sayin'. :)

raycer 09-13-2010 06:48 PM

Boxster ? Isn't that like buying a Harley Sportster?:lol:

george vee 09-13-2010 06:54 PM

depends on how old you are, you could by either one now and the other in a few years, then you could let us know how they compare,

I'd buy the GS first, Macmullen has a new 2010 4lt vert for 64k

aTX427 09-13-2010 07:03 PM

Boxters are nice for a girl in her 20's.

Mike Campbell 09-13-2010 07:18 PM

The ONLY thing a Boxster can do better than a Vette is...rust. :yesnod:

c6 batmobile 09-13-2010 07:35 PM

Im a vette guy so Im gonna say vette. If you were talking GT3 or 911 turbo then I might say Porsche. Other than you not liking the seats the vette will plain stomp the snot out of a boxter and youre gonna have a lot of fun doing it.

zmonster 09-13-2010 07:35 PM

Thanks for all the responses. They were helpful. Maybe I should go with a GS coupe and save myself a ton of cash there, and just take the roof off when I want the convertible...

Anyway, does anyone know why the GS specs out at 3.95s 0-60, while the normal Vetts clocks out at 4.2s? Same engine, same everything. Can't figure out why the GS is faster 0-60.

slolane 09-13-2010 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by zmonster (Post 1575315145)
Thanks for all the responses. They were helpful. Maybe I should go with a GS coupe and save myself a ton of cash there, and just take the roof off when I want the convertible...

Anyway, does anyone know why the GS specs out at 3.95s 0-60, while the normal Vetts clocks out at 4.2s? Same engine, same everything. Can't figure out why the GS is faster 0-60.

Ok, just a guess here but if they tested an auto I believe the GS comes with the performance gears in the rear end. That would make a difference.

zmonster 09-13-2010 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by slolane (Post 1575315495)
Ok, just a guess here but if they tested an auto I believe the GS comes with the performance gears in the rear end. That would make a difference.

So are you implying the automatic GS is faster than the manual? I would highly doubt that, especially considering launch control is only available on the manual (correct me if I'm wrong).

slolane 09-13-2010 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by zmonster (Post 1575315600)
So are you implying the automatic GS is faster than the manual? I would highly doubt that, especially considering launch control is only available on the manual (correct me if I'm wrong).

Like I said it was just a guess and yes if you spend anytime at a drag strip you will see autos are usually faster. They are usually easier to launch and the computer shifts at the same rpm every time and never misses a shift. I am not trying to start an auto vs stick war I am just saying. BTW I have a stick myself:D

3GenVettes 09-13-2010 08:24 PM

My assumption would be tires are difference, more rubber on the ground, more traction, less slippage, results in quicker time.

redzone 09-13-2010 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Never Say Never (Post 1575313993)
Pretty simple. Not only as Raazor so eloquently stated that it's GHEY the car is also friggin butt ugly.

In your opinion,as you are certainly entitled to.....as am I.

Would I ever own a Boxster? Nope,not at the price point Porsche has set it at. Nor a 911 for that matter. Too high priced for what you get. The only Porsches I consider real performance cars are the GT3 & the TT. And,of course,the GT2.

XEUROTRASHOWNER 09-13-2010 08:34 PM

Boxster is a chicks car-If your going the p route by a 911

JT Metal 09-13-2010 08:34 PM

If Porsche is what you want. Maybe you can upgrade in the used market. That is what I would do............Boxster is really pushing the bottom end of thier line up.

EuroRod 09-13-2010 08:40 PM

Boxturds are chick cars.

jksvet 09-13-2010 09:31 PM

The transmissions are not the same. The manuals have different gearing. Your into second before you know it.
;)

need-for-speed 09-13-2010 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by zmonster (Post 1575313430)
I am actually leaning towards the Vette. It has a larger trunk (for my golf clubs :) ), and I love the new Inferno Orange color. If GM would just upgrade the interior to the level that a $75K car should have, it would be an absolute no-brainer (that's why I asked about when the C7 will come out). I drove the GS, I LOVE it. I have a feeling I'll like the way the Boxster S drives when I drive it this week too. So it will all come down to a hard decision.

Can anyone point me to a set of pictures that will show an inferno orange GS looks with the two different two-tone seat colors inside (i.e. cashmere/black, and titanium/black)?

Thanks.

You can get enough of a discount on the C6 to have a DSVettes interior installed. Then, the Corvette will have a nicer interior. And when it comes to performance, it won't even be close.

When you drive the Boxter, I think you'll like the steering feedback more, but you'll find it anemic compared to the LS3.

need-for-speed 09-13-2010 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by vettedoogie (Post 1575313437)
This makes no sense. Why would this be an issue? Might as well add another year to that because people generally don't want to buy into the first year of any generation.

true dat ! maybe even wait until year 3 :lol:

I waited until year 4 for my C5 and c6

need-for-speed 09-13-2010 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Racer44 (Post 1575313905)
Real Porsche owners even knock Boxsters. The only people who don't knock Boxsters are Boxster owners,

kinda like Harley folks and Sportsters :yesnod:

coolhand5599 09-13-2010 09:56 PM

One is a mans car and one is a chick car. Are you a man or a chick?

OregonC6 09-13-2010 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by 3GenVettes (Post 1575314491)
In comparing the GS versus the Boxster, although the prices are similar, the cars are as you know very different. If you like the compact size of the Boxster the base vette convertible might be a better comparison. I've not owned a Boxster, but have driven them, however, not extensively. It is beyond me how Porsche justifies the price of that car. I like and respect Porsches, but if buying a Porsche I'd aim higher. Frankly, I think the Miata is more of a competitor to the Boxster than the vette is, because philosophically the Miata is more similar to Boxster as a small nimble car.

Porsche does not "justify" the price of the Boxster anymore than GM justifies the price of a GS vs Z06. Cars, like all consumer goods, are priced according to a marketing plan based upon many factors including how the particular model "fits" in the overall product line.

It's my opinion that you are 100% correct "if buying a Porsche I'd aim higher". Exactly!!!!! I've always thought that most bottom level or mid level Beemers were nowhere worth the money. The lower and mid level models in the line are "pulled up" by the truly fine automobiles that are available for more money.

Fact is, the margin on the TOP models is probably very low. In other words the mfg. makes a smaller percent on top models than on low to mid.....the buyer "gets" much less for their money in the low to mid level price range and is paying dearly for the "association" with the top models.

I think the Boxster is a silly little car. It's an upscale Miata. Them's fighting words I'm sure for a young successful internist or radiologist or up and coming lawyer....who wants his/her Porsche parked in full view to document his/her refined taste.

Boxsters and the like are thick in the Pacific Northwest. I look at these foolish little cars wheezing by and wonder , as you, why people pay so much money for such a small car. It's a great car sure...no doubt better than a Miata...but not at twice what it's worth.

The answer is that the buyer pays for the badge and association with top models in the line. I suppose the same is true for MB at the lower levels of their line as well.

I must say, no matter what anybody here does for a living, doctor, lawyer, truck driver, plumber....all would benefit greatly in life by taking one single course offered in ALL schools of business ...that is marketing 101. The next best course would be advertising 101 and after that marketing research ( which is generally an junior level undergrad course due to statistics requirements ).

The principles in these courses both OWN and OPERATE our present consumer driven society. It's all about how sellers of products create and then satisfy consumer motivation to buy.

LTC Z06 09-13-2010 11:27 PM

I considered, and test drove, a Boxster but boy am I glad I got a 2002 C5 Z06 instead.

GS-Zero 09-14-2010 01:04 AM

:smash:

DropTopGal 09-14-2010 01:48 AM

Very good friend has a 08 Cayman and one of my hubby's work cars was an 06 911 Carrera for about 6 months. Having been in and driven those two and of course the Vette, my observation is this: Both Porsche have a nicer interior, but tight in space. They do dart through traffic with a bit more ease compared to the Vette but fall short of the power. The Vette is very roomy, DOES have comfortable seats, and simply amazing power compared to the Porsche. Maintaining the Vette is far more affordable compared to any Porsche. Also, for those who keep their cars, the Vette has a better warranty.

Another observation. Whenever in either Porsche, people just take a quick look. In the Vette, they stare, give thumbs up, and always compliment what a nice car it is. Even little kids have pointed and shouted out "wow!".

IMHO, the better bang for the buck is with the Vette over any Porsche.

SG4206 09-14-2010 06:56 PM

I doubt a German company supports your life style. Why send your money overseas. Buy American products to support the American way.

Notch 09-14-2010 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by SG4206 (Post 1575325410)
I doubt a German company supports your life style.

But the German people just might.

Originally Posted by SG4206 (Post 1575325410)
Why send your money overseas. Buy American products to support the American way.

I believe the United States gave up isolationism some years back.

German software companies are very competitive, but analysts estimate that approximately 80% of software products sold in Germany are supplied by U.S. companies (2009 numbers). Do you think the German people should engage in the same isolationism you suggest for America? How would a move like that impact our American software producing companies?

phileaglesfan 09-14-2010 08:21 PM

Porsche's designers are not known to be that creative and the Boxster is the one car that proves it. It is still expensive to maintain. Owner's were shocked when they had to remove the motor in older Boxsters to change something simple. I looked at the Cayman/Boxster S and was not impressed. Not enough to pay $75-95k for one. They actually had some special edition Cayman on the showroom floor for $110k and that was in 2008. In the end they both are the poor man's Porsche and as Jeremy said on top gear driving one is like advertising to the world that your life didn't turn out as good as you expected.

Racer 09-14-2010 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Notch (Post 1575326080)
But the German people just might.

I believe the United States gave up isolationism some years back.

German software companies are very competitive, but analysts estimate that approximately 80% of software products sold in Germany are supplied by U.S. companies (2009 numbers). Do you think the German people should engage in the same isolationism you suggest for America? How would a move like that impact our American software producing companies?

And that can be expanded one thousand fold, not just software.
Just one example..
Last year, the U.S. imported 3,670,403 thousand barrels of oil. Of those 3.67 billion barrels of oil, the U.S. imported from a total of 42 different countries. The top 5 importing countries were Canada (16.34%), Mexico (15.42%), Saudi Arabia (14.30%), Venezuela (12.24%), and Nigeria (10.54%), for a total of 68.84% of all American imports.
Of course it is the same for all countries, you have to import and export or you are toast.

05dsom 09-14-2010 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by zmonster (Post 1575313802)

love that combo...now add z07-type aftermarket black splitter and side skirts...:thumbs:

05dsom 09-14-2010 08:32 PM

JC---"driving one is like advertising to the world that your life didn't turn out as good as you expected."

hahahahahahahahaha

Notch 09-14-2010 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan (Post 1575326160)
Porsche's designers are not known to be that creative...

Source?

DRLC5 09-14-2010 09:51 PM

Like I said in my earlier post Vette GS all the way. But if your really set on a P car you should try a 2009 up PDK Carrera S. Much closer in power but still no where near the torque of the GS.For get the Boxter that is a girley car for sure. That is one major reason I sold mine.:thumbs:

Never Say Never 09-14-2010 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Notch (Post 1575326319)
Source?

Porsche.:rolleyes:

Gearhead Jim 09-15-2010 12:55 PM

Back when I was doing HPDE in our C5 Z51, a Boxster was just a speed bump. A Boxster S took a little longer to pass but never an issue.

Nice cars and fun to drive, but anemic when compared to a C6.

Flies Lo 09-15-2010 01:40 PM

I've owned a 2001 Boxster S and had a 2007 Cayman S...the Box was a nice roadster, but the Cayman was a better track car...

I now own a GS Coupe...I haven't had it to the track yet, but I expect it to be a very good track car, in spite of the fact that I'm sure it won't be as good through turns 9, 10, 10a, and 11 at Mid-Ohio as the Cayman S was...but I'm equally sure it will be faster from the Carousel through 1 to the Keyhole, and will get launched out of the Keyhole at least as well as the Cayman S...with that launch I expect to be a whole bunch faster into the braking zone at the end of the back straight than I've ever been...

Better? Not necessarily, but different, very much so yes. As much fun? At least...

Now, the OP obviously isn't going to track the car of his choice, so it will come down to what ever criteria are important to him...and I'm not so sure these two cars can be compared on his basis...I think it will come down to whatever he wants to be seen in, since he's not really going to use the car's potential anyway...

Notch 09-15-2010 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Flies Lo (Post 1575332921)
I think it will come down to whatever he wants to be seen in, since he's not really going to use the car's potential anyway...

While what he "wants to be seen in" may be a consideration for him, the question of which car he likes best when not driving it near its "potential" may be the most important one.

05dsom 09-15-2010 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Notch (Post 1575333028)
While what he "wants to be seen in" may be a consideration for him, the question of which car he likes best when not driving it near its "potential" may be the most important one.

I have a feeling most people who see a boxster don't even think its a Porsche. Most non-car types probably recognize only 911's as Porsches?

Flies Lo 09-15-2010 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by 05dsom (Post 1575334112)
I have a feeling most people who see a boxster don't even think its a Porsche. Most non-car types probably recognize only 911's as Porsches?

05dsom, there is much truth in what you say...I owned 10 Porsches from 1974 to the end of 2007, and only two of them were 911's...it was surprising how many people didn't know what the others were...

Notch, I don't disagree with you...maybe I didn't fully understand the OP, but it seemed to me that his main concern was whether his golf clubs fit...

dochorsepower 09-15-2010 03:38 PM

AW, C'mon, they said it best on an episode of "Two and a Half Men" a couple of years back: "Allen, that's a chick car."

Racer 09-15-2010 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by 05dsom (Post 1575334112)

Most Porsche owners don't think the Boxter is a Porsche.

06 C6 vert 09-15-2010 07:18 PM

Actually the Boxster is a VW, built on the VW line.

I always liked them and still do but very unreliable cars. Not so much the money you would have to do for repairs but the down time.

Buddy of mine put a huge 911 engine in his and he seemed to like it.

Problem with that is the 911 engine turns opposite direction.

Notch 09-15-2010 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by 06 C6 vert (Post 1575336224)
Actually the Boxster is a VW, built on the VW line.

How is the Boxster a VW, where is this VW line, and what is the name of the factory?

jschindler 09-15-2010 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Racer44 (Post 1575334542)
Most Porsche owners don't think the Boxter is a Porsche.

Interesting comment given that the number one selling vehicle for Porsche is an SUV.

I'd bet you dinner at a nice restaurant that MOST people would see a Boxter and a 911 and think they are the same car. I consider myself an expert car spotter, and when I see a Boxter, Cayman, or 911 coming at me I don't know which it is until I see it from the side.

phileaglesfan 09-15-2010 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Notch (Post 1575326319)
Source?

Pick any show or a lot of non Porsche owners. I like the 911 but it hasn't changed that much over the years. Top Gear rips Porsche up more than they rip up American cars.

Cayman looks like the 911 which is its problem. It is advertising that you bought a cheaper Porsche. Boxster doesn't look right from any direction. Cayenne, Panamera? Not exactly good looking cars. Just saw a Cayenne Turbo today and it is hard to believe that vehicle costs ZR1 type prices.

Why does it cost a German more money to buy a Porsche in Germany than it does for an American in the US? Especially with the current crappy exchange rate.

Notch 09-15-2010 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan (Post 1575337015)
Pick any show or a lot of non Porsche owners.

How are non-Porsches owners a valid source?

Boxster doesn't look right from any direction. Cayenne, Panamera? Not exactly good looking cars. Just saw a Cayenne Turbo today and it is hard to believe that vehicle costs ZR1 type prices.

All just your personal opinion. Nothing personal, but that does not qualify as a credible source.

Why does it cost a German more money to buy a Porsche in Germany than it does for an American in the US?

Are you talking MSRP, and how did you arrive at your conclusions?

And BTW, "design" is more than simply exterior looks. Examples? The Carrera GT clutch, PDK, and VTG turbos.

Oh, and Porsche designers also came up with this...and don't just focus on the exterior, focus on the cutting edge designs under the surface too...

http://i51.tinypic.com/2zsd7pe.jpg

XEUROTRASHOWNER 09-15-2010 09:43 PM

http://i51.tinypic.com/2zsd7pe.jpg[/QUOTE]

Now that's a p car- Bad choice on the wheels :ack:

JerriVette 09-15-2010 10:10 PM

I like the boxster S. I especially like the PDK 7 speed dual clutch transmission. I've thought about buying one....and they are quick to sixty. 4.1 seconds according to a few magazines. Its a great car and it handles really nicely.

That said...I'd never give up my 08 Z51 M6 for one.

B@lls to the wall...the C6 z51 will smoke the boxster but that doesn't mean the boxster isn't a very nice sports car. If I remember correctly Dave Hill mentioned several times that he felt the boxster was in fact the closest competitor to the C5 corvette..

Its ride, handling and interior are very nice.

Like I said...I've given a lot of thought to buying a PDK Boxster S...but with it being slower ...and quite a bit more than I paid for my brand new 2008 C6 Z51 M6 with NPP 1lt... I couldn't justify buying the boxster S PDK...(45 grand vs. 65 grand?)

Good luck deciding and I really would be surprised if you got to many people suggesting the Porsche Boxster S over a vette on CORVETTE FORUM..

I suggest going to a Porsche forum and ask the same question..

then go for a ride of both vehicles...to decide for yourself.

HTH

Racer 09-16-2010 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by JerriVette (Post 1575337925)
I like the boxster S. I especially like the PDK 7 speed dual clutch transmission. I've thought about buying one....and they are quick to sixty. 4.1 seconds according to a few magazines. Its a great car and it handles really nicely.

HTH

I think you are full of poopie, even from Porsches optimistic web site

Close Close
o 310 hp @ 6,400 rpm
o 0-60 mph: 5.0 s
o Top Track Speed: 170 mph

From ideal tests
The Boxster S is propelled by a larger, 310-horsepower, 3.4-liter six-cylinder available with the same transmissions as the standard Boxster. It accelerates to 60 mph with the manual is just 5.0 seconds; with the PDK, it takes 4.9 seconds, and with the Sport Plus package, that's shaved to a scant 4.7 seconds.
4.7 is a lifetime from 4.1 :smash::smash::smash:

JC7 09-16-2010 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Racer44 (Post 1575312787)
Hmm, poor mans Porsche, or the Z06's little brother....No contest. GS:smash::smash:
Also, if you think the Boxter holds it's value, somebody is misleading you, It's no Cayman, it is the weakest link in the Porsche family. :cheers:

:iagree:GS all the way!

JerG 09-16-2010 07:30 AM

Porsche Boxster vs Corvette?

It's a no-brainer for me, I'll take the Corvette for looks and performance. Go try and show off the engine in a Boxster...where the f#@$ is it?

Go try and join a Porsche club with a Boxster...anything not a 911 is looked down on.
I once considered buying a used 928 and that wan't up to par as well.

The Cayman looks nicer than the Boxster but then you run the risk of your friends putting a little silver tape on the C to change it to a G on the back of your car...

StanNH 09-16-2010 08:15 AM

The Boxster S is fast, looks good, has good seating, and easily outhandles the Vette. The steering and suspension are truly world class and it's simply a great driver's car.

No, it doesn't have the status of a 911 so, if you're looking for that, it's the wrong choice. Other than that, I think it's the bargain Porsche and a very well put together car.

But .... I own a Vette, not a Porsche. For me, the Vette has a more comfortable driving position, looks better, and offers an irresistable combination of power/torque and competent handling. The Porsche S is, IMHO, more of a true sports car as opposed to the GT nature of the Vette. It's smaller and more agile, but I find the Vette the easier car to live with on a daily basis.

I've owned and driven many sports cars over the years but the Vette, certainly at this point in my life, offers more of what I'm looking for in a performance vehicle. I can say nothing bad about the Boxster S, since it's a car I like and respect. I just think the Vette is too much fun to pass up.

BSheppard 09-16-2010 10:04 AM

Until you drive both, you won't know. Both are some of the greatest sports cars at their price point. Porsche people will hate the Vette and Vette people will hate the Porsche. Make your own mind up by a few test drives. Get back to us and tell us what YOU think!

BSSN 09-16-2010 10:36 AM

You need the Turbo or the GT-series if you want to compete wiht a 'vette in anything but interior fit-finish or "feedback". Back when I had an LS1 car I didn't get beat by too many porsches. Schooled a 996 Carrera and a 911 S4 (woman left it in 5th from 80punch, I didn't belive her until she gave me a ride in it and I saw 5th was 500rpm less than 4th, lol).

They are refined, nice, handle great, etc, but they just feel slow to me until you cross the $100K mark.

Driving a porsche isn't about speed though I guess. It's more "the experience" I suppose.

I drove a 370Z (similar to the boxter, imho), and it felt like it was machined from a piece of billet. VERY solid/nice car. In the end, though, it was slow and I knew it. Still saving for a REAL Z. SOon...

Mike's LS3 09-16-2010 11:40 AM

Most GS magazine road tests 0-60 times are from 4.1 to 4.3 within the norm of non GS corvettes. The sub 4.0 times are uncommon. I have read 4.0 0-60 time on a Z51, 2008 manual coupe, The magazines tests also noted that their quickest times were without launch control. Launch control will give you more consistent times, not necessarily quicker. Launch control modulates the torque output to maximize traction. So to answer your question, the GS is not quicker. 0-60 times and 1/4 times will vary with track temperature, track condition, driver and gearing options. Keep in mind, the GS is also about 130lbs heavier than the base model and whatever claims of hp gains with a dry sump system are negated by the loss in hp it takes to drive the sump pump.

Mike Campbell 09-16-2010 11:50 AM

I have a friend who bought his wife a Boxster. This guy is a Porsche-a-phile if you know what I mean. Anyway, he told me after 2 years he had to get rid of it. That is was a "piece of s&%t !" He went out and got her a Carrera. I asked him, why don't you get her a Vette? He said, well, she needs the 4wd and besides, Vettes don't have the "panache" that Porshes do. However, he sheepishly admits, my Vette is really nice. That's what youhave to deal with. :crazy:

Raazor 09-16-2010 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Racer44 (Post 1575313905)
Real Porsche owners even knock Boxsters. The only people who don't knock Boxsters are Boxster owners, or people who really want a Porsche but can't afford one, so they are leaning towards a pretend one.
My wifes former Solstice GXP was faster than a Boxster. :ack:

Hey Razzor, what do you think of Boxters? :lurk:

Boxter's = Ghey :yesnod:

STEVE MC 09-16-2010 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by indyjack18 (Post 1575313050)
I just ordered a 2011 GS vert..... Cuz it's America's sports car, and I'm American

:thumbs: :thumbs:

STEVE MC 09-16-2010 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Raazor (Post 1575342294)
Boxter's = Ghey :yesnod:

C6Tim 09-16-2010 01:13 PM

I may buy another Porsche one day, but I would not buy one that wears panties. Boxsters are for the girls... If you want to go Porsche you have to go 911 or don't go at all.

Just my humble opinion and no disrespect intended toward any "man" who owns or buys a boxster... :D

Notch 09-16-2010 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Raazor (Post 1575342294)
Boxter's = Ghey

What is a "Boxter"?

rovers2000 09-16-2010 02:45 PM

dvilin 09-16-2010 02:52 PM

Porche?? Try Porsche.

Raazor 09-16-2010 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by dvilin (Post 1575344182)
Porche?? Try Porsche.

Really?? http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c.../toocrazy1.gif

Originally Posted by Raazor (Post 1575313353)
:lolg: You guys are tough with the typos :lolg:

I refuse to fix it. :yesnod:

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...motes/1071.gif

Rednblack 09-16-2010 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by dochorsepower (Post 1575334205)
AW, C'mon, they said it best on an episode of "Two and a Half Men" a couple of years back: "Allen, that's a chick car."

My first thought when I saw this thread!

:lol::lol::lol:

jamesbertero 09-16-2010 03:46 PM

Easy solution....Buy two used boxters.
One for the track and one for picking up your dress at the cleaners.

AutoTrader:
2007 Porsche Boxster, ORIG OWNER!!!!! STILL UNDER MANUF WTY!!!!! LOW MILEAGE!!!!!!. This vehicle has Porsche windstop, heated front seats, 19 inch sport design chrome wheels, Bose surround sound system and remote cd changer. All sched maint done, always garaged, no accidents, non-smoker, fully loaded. The vehicle is in MINT CONDITION and rus and drives fantastic!!!! MUST SEE. 33,600 Miles. $33,500 Neg. Call 760-310-1155

OR

2008 Coupe with 2816 miles on it...$34,900
AM/FM Radio, AUX Jack For MP3 Players, Single CD Player, Fog Lights, Air Conditioning, Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror, Cruise Control, Electronic Climate Control, Keyless Remote, Power Door Locks, Power Mirrors, Power Steering, Power Windows, Rear Window Defroster, Tilt Steering Column, Bucket Seats, Driver Front Airbag, Passenger Front Airbag, 4-Wheel Disc Brakes, Anti-Lock Brakes, Daytime Running Lights, Tire Pressure Monitor, Traction Control, Leather Seats, Power Driver Seat, OnStar

Get the Vette...I did.:thumbs: