CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   2015 Stingray - Valet Mode - AWESOME! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3518638-2015-stingray-valet-mode-awesome.html)

GForensic 08-18-2014 12:52 PM

2015 Stingray - Valet Mode with PDR - AWESOME!

This is an Awesome feature!!! Great Video!:thumbs:

Al Blue4.6l 08-18-2014 12:56 PM

damn, only with PDR? :(

Algiers 08-18-2014 01:12 PM

That's pretty sweet. I wonder what else they have been holding back about the 15's.

Woodson 08-18-2014 01:20 PM

It is awesome. It is also a repost.

ersin 08-18-2014 02:01 PM

Cool. But why don't they limit hp in valet mode like other cars do? They should keep it in 4 cylinder mode. ;)

Cheers.

Ltespd 08-18-2014 02:12 PM

This makes paying for the PDR easier. I love the record feature in valet mode.

Corgidog1 08-18-2014 02:25 PM

GM should install a "Call Lawyer" button for use after viewing the PDR if a valet screws around with the car.

CETA 256 08-18-2014 02:27 PM

:thumbs::rock:

KenHorse 08-18-2014 02:44 PM

Easier solution that doesn't require a 2015

Rocky51 08-18-2014 02:50 PM

:iagree:

Originally Posted by ersin (Post 1587623826)
Cool. But why don't they limit hp in valet mode like other cars do? They should keep it in 4 cylinder mode. ;)

Cheers.

rob62 08-18-2014 03:10 PM

I STILL wouldn't hand it over!!

Beachhz 08-18-2014 03:27 PM

I valeted the corvette I rented a month ago. I put it in valet mode? Why does it say its new for 2015?

george vee 08-18-2014 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Beachhz (Post 1587624431)
I valeted the corvette I rented a month ago. I put it in valet mode? Why does it say its new for 2015?

My 2014 C7 has valet mode. I think they are saying that the PDR will work when in valet mode.

grandadsvette 08-18-2014 03:37 PM

Its on the 2014 minus the PDR part

Dan Dlabay 08-18-2014 03:42 PM

Even with that I would still never allow a valet to have the fob to me vette.:cheers:

Jontall 08-18-2014 03:47 PM

I love it... It should be standard equipment on all cars.

MrBrightside 08-18-2014 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Corgidog1 (Post 1587623995)
GM should install a "Call Lawyer" button for use after viewing the PDR if a valet screws around with the car.

:rofl::willy:

OldJedi 08-18-2014 04:26 PM

The PDR is nice but I would prefer that it had a max speed of 15 MPH and 1500RPM.

BSE1956 08-18-2014 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by ersin (Post 1587623826)

Cheers.

seems silly not to.

Larry/car 08-18-2014 05:35 PM

GM is trying to justify the cost of the Nav/PDR option. Not impressed.

ATX-C7 08-18-2014 06:09 PM

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/corvet...202837087.html

Woodson 08-18-2014 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Larry/car (Post 1587625434)
GM is trying to justify the cost of the Nav/PDR option. Not impressed.

Yeah, couldn't possibly be that they found another good use for it and decided to give us that feature. :thumbs:

GForensic 08-18-2014 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Beachhz (Post 1587624431)

Does the PDR record more information than the current valet mode? That would be my guess....

AustinVettes 08-18-2014 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by GForensic (Post 1587626171)
Does the PDR record more information than the current valet mode? That would be my guess....

It's hard for a 2014 to record since it doesn't have a video system.

coupeguyz51 08-18-2014 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by GForensic (Post 1587623286)
This is an Awesome feature!!! Great Video!:thumbs:

2015 Corvette Valet Mode: Exclusive to Corvette | Chevrolet - YouTube

Totally useless...what are you going to do, play back your performance data recorder when you come out of the restaurant every time when you've got other things on your mind, like closing the deal with that hottie you just spent all that money on? and if you find the valet monkey was street racing,what are you going to do? not tip him? I would never let a valet touch my car, so don't need this option....:rock:

Algiers 08-19-2014 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by coupeguyz51 (Post 1587628230)
Totally useless...what are you going to do, play back your performance data recorder when you come out of the restaurant every time when you've got other things on your mind, like closing the deal with that hottie you just spent all that money on? and if you find the valet monkey was street racing,what are you going to do? not tip him? I would never let a valet touch my car, so don't need this option....:rock:

You wouldn't exactly have to check it every time you valet park. You could just use if there is damage to possibly prove what caused it.

Skidplate 08-19-2014 11:41 AM

Valet mode should be enabled when the car leaves BG

It would be useful to have valet mode enabled at the factory so the new owner can verify the car was treated properly prior to taking delivery. How would one know the dealer wash boy didn't flog your new Corvette up and down the freeway and test launch control repeatedly when sent to fill the gas tank?

dbischoff 08-19-2014 12:24 PM

Instead of it covertly recording the driver's/car's activity while in valet mode, it should make it very obvious that it is recording. The display should show something like:
"Valet Mode - camera views, GPS route, speed, and operation of the vehicle are being recorded."

I can't imagine letting a valet touch any of my cars, but if I did, I would want them to know, without any doubt, that everything they do will be recorded. Far better to have them behave themselves, than to have to go after them for their misdeeds.

Detroit Steel 08-19-2014 01:25 PM

Chevy Introduces Technology to Track Valet with Your Corvette

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...d4e44620b8.jpg

It’s hell of a concern, right?

Hand over the keys to your new shiny Stingray and hope the valet respects the fact that it isn't theirs and just parks the damn thing.

Well, Chevy has put a pretty nifty piece of technology in place for the 2015 Corvette lineup to make sure those responsible for handling your baby at your favorite steak spot don’t get any clever ideas.

Read the rest on the Corvette Forum homepage.

Ltespd 08-19-2014 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by dbischoff (Post 1587631196)
Instead of it covertly recording the driver's/car's activity while in valet mode, it should make it very obvious that it is recording. The display should show something like:
"Valet Mode - camera views, GPS route, speed, and operation of the vehicle are being recorded."

I can't imagine letting a valet touch any of my cars, but if I did, I would want them to know, without any doubt, that everything they do will be recorded. Far better to have them behave themselves, than to have to go after them for their misdeeds.

:thumbs:I'd let the valet know my car video records how its being driven.

Sin City 08-19-2014 04:53 PM

Stupid idea. If you fear what a Valet can do with your car when you're in a restaurant, just leave it at home.

Then put a dust cover on it and wipe it with a diaper.

This kind of "fear" of everything is just destroying car enjoyment. Next Chevy will come out with a bird poop detector. "Warning. Don't park under those trees. Birds nesting above!"

Sin City 08-19-2014 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Detroit Steel (Post 1587631714)

It’s hell of a concern, right?

Hand over the keys to your new shiny Stingray and hope the valet respects the fact that it isn't theirs and just parks the damn thing.

Well, Chevy has put a pretty nifty piece of technology in place for the 2015 Corvette lineup to make sure those responsible for handling your baby at your favorite steak spot don’t get any clever ideas.
]

A CAR is not A BABY.

AustinVettes 08-19-2014 05:11 PM

So much negativity around here. You have one thread with folks complaining that the $795 navigation is a POS. Then the price gets raised by $1000 with the addition of the PDR, and now folks are complaining that they can't afford the navigation system that they seem to hate so much and didn't want in the first place.

PDR was supposed to be useless for folks that didn't track it. Now they add another feature to add a little more utility off the track, and folks manage to find a way to complain about that too. You could give all of these features away for free and folks here would still find a way to bitch and moan about it.

It's really easy. If you don't like the feature, don't buy it. If you like to inflict pain upon yourself and buy stuff you don't want, then don't use the features. There's no winning with some people.

AFVETTE 08-19-2014 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by OldJedi (Post 1587624847)
The PDR is nice but I would prefer that it had a max speed of 15 MPH and 1500RPM.

I agree, seeing a punk trash your car in a video is not going to make me feel any better.

Preventing the "abuse" in the first place is far better than watching the video of your car being trashed.

Tom

Ltespd 08-20-2014 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Sin City (Post 1587633419)
A CAR is not A BABY.

Speak for yourself. My cars are my babies:yesnod:

lastcowboy 08-20-2014 07:18 AM

its on the 14's

lastcowboy 08-20-2014 07:21 AM

all that sounds great ...but hope theres an ''off ''switch :yesnod: a real'' one

Larry/car 08-20-2014 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by AustinVettes (Post 1587633508)
So much negativity around here. You have one thread with folks complaining that the $795 navigation is a POS. Then the price gets raised by $1000 with the addition of the PDR, and now folks are complaining that they can't afford the navigation system that they seem to hate so much and didn't want in the first place.

PDR was supposed to be useless for folks that didn't track it. Now they add another feature to add a little more utility off the track, and folks manage to find a way to complain about that too. You could give all of these features away for free and folks here would still find a way to bitch and moan about it.

It's really easy. If you don't like the feature, don't buy it. If you like to inflict pain upon yourself and buy stuff you don't want, then don't use the features. There's no winning with some people.

:eek: I think most are complaining about having to pay an additional $1,000 for a feature not wanted on top of $795 for a feature you want. GM was afraid they couldn't sell enough track recorders so they forced it on everyone who wants navigation.

Corgidog1 08-20-2014 09:15 AM

Now that I will be forced to get one as I want the 3LT, it looks like I can have some fun with it-I won't valet the car but will use the audio feature to tape some conversations in the car and the video just for kicks.

dvilin 08-20-2014 10:20 AM

I think I would just skip the Valet and park my own car whenever possible.

'86VetteHead 08-20-2014 11:18 AM

Maybe I should leave my tinfoil hat at home, but it seems to me this system could be used too much like a "Big Brother" watching over your shoulder.

What is there to say that an insurance company can't pull the data from the recorder to see that you used a throttle input of over XX%, or a G load of more than 0.XX to raise your insurance rate?

Maybe I misunderstand the system, but I sure don't like the idea of it; and if the system is only "active" when you want it to be, I call BS. Data is running through storage constantly, I imagine it only fails to overwrite it when you hit "record", but everything else is still stored until it gets overwritten.

Woodson 08-20-2014 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by '86VetteHead (Post 1587639109)
Maybe I should leave my tinfoil hat at home, but it seems to me this system could be used too much like a "Big Brother" watching over your shoulder.

What is there to say that an insurance company can't pull the data from the recorder to see that you used a throttle input of over XX%, or a G load of more than 0.XX to raise your insurance rate?

Maybe I misunderstand the system, but I sure don't like the idea of it; and if the system is only "active" when you want it to be, I call BS. Data is running through storage constantly, I imagine it only fails to overwrite it when you hit "record", but everything else is still stored until it gets overwritten.

You know your car already has a black box, right?

AustinVettes 08-20-2014 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by '86VetteHead (Post 1587639109)

If you're afraid that this is happening, then don't insert the SD card into the slot, and they'll be no place for it to save. If you think GM secretly put file storage into the system other than the SD card, and records your video and audio even if you don't have the system on, then your only option is to not buy the car. No one will be able to allay this fear. If you don't believe GM when they tell you that it doesn't record unless you hit record, then no one is going to be able to convince you otherwise.

By the same logic if this is a real fear for you, I'd also recommend not using a smart phone. Google and Apple could be recording all your actions too. Same with your computer if it has a microphone and webcam. Same with having people nearby because you could secretly be recorded by their smart devices.

I spent a lot of my life writing software. Having hardware to record audio and video does not mean that data is running storage constantly. You can turn this stuff on and off like a light switch.

70454 08-20-2014 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by AustinVettes (Post 1587633508)

I have a late build 2014 and if I wasn't a big fan of GoPro cameras, I would have waited for a 2015 (I got a 7-speed so the upgrade to a 8-speed non-stick wasn't an issue). This option seems like it's useless to many but I'm sure you'll all be filling up your computers and the web with your videos (whether they be accidents, hot chicks, dealer beat-on's, etc). The forum will overflow with vids. The valet integration into the PDI is a nice suprise for those ordering the 15's with this option. It has great "cool" factor.

Woodson 08-20-2014 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by 70454 (Post 1587639238)

I have a late build 2014 and if I wasn't a big fan of GoPro cameras, I would have waited for a 2015 (I got a 7-speed so the upgrade to a 8-speed non-stick wasn't an issue). This option seems like it's useless to many but I'm sure you'll all be filling up your computers and the web with your videos (whether they be accidents, hot chicks, dealer beat-on's, etc). The forum will overflow with vids. The valet integration into the PDI is a nice suprise for those ordering the 15's with this option. It has great "cool" factor.

It's not just a camera. It has telemetry. Which is why it's called a performance data recorder, not a camera. :smash:

70454 08-20-2014 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Woodson (Post 1587639247)
It's not just a camera. It has telemetry. Which is why it's called a performance data recorder, not a camera. :smash:

I'm aware of that. I guess my point is that the videos are going to be all over the place.

huntrg22 08-22-2014 05:49 PM

Valet Mode Recording

Does anyone think that the option will be able to be retrofitted to the 14's? I wonder if they had this in the works and just wanted something extra to offer buzz on the 15? I still like the option and hope they can retro fit it to my existing system.

Woodson 08-22-2014 06:05 PM

No.

Bill17601 08-22-2014 07:04 PM

Nobody drives my car but me..oh and the only mechanic I let touch it. But of you feel a need for Valet Mode I think it is cool.

sharpseadog 12-01-2014 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Skidplate (Post 1587630838)
It would be useful to have valet mode enabled at the factory so the new owner can verify the car was treated properly prior to taking delivery. How would one know the dealer wash boy didn't flog your new Corvette up and down the freeway and test launch control repeatedly when sent to fill the gas tank?

Amen :iagree::iagree: