CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   No Z51 Bad Idea? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3634782-no-z51-bad-idea.html)

Indiancent 04-10-2015 12:50 PM

No Z51 Bad Idea?

I found a car to buy, here is the......BUT:
It does not have the Z51 package and the mag ride option.
It however has the ZF1 appearance package, LT2 package and all the interior comforts including heads up display. It also has the performance exhaust and the black wheels that I wanted.
The price is discounted by approx. 3K to 64K.
If I just want to cruise and occasionally enjoy some spirited driving, why pay for the suspension upgrades and the mag ride. I don't want a suspension that is track firm for 95% of my driving.
Guess I am not sure if the lack of Z51 and mag ride will cause the car to depreciate even faster and shrink the group of potential buyers that may want the car when I am ready to sell?
What else may I be missing?
Since this is my first Corvette purchase and I am not very familiar with this market, I'd appreciate all your thoughts. Thanks so much.

dvilin 04-10-2015 12:58 PM

First thing a 3k discount is not a good deal. Lack of Z51 option will not have any impact on potential buyers in the future, as for depreciation who knows and why even give it a thought.

Corgidog1 04-10-2015 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by dvilin (Post 1589387838)
First thing a 3k discount is not a good deal. Lack of Z51 option will not have any impact on potential buyers in the future, as for depreciation who knows and why even give it a thought.

:iagree: I would be looking for about 9% (approximate credit union/supplier %) off of the 67K list or or about 6000. The forum dealers should be able to get you that discount.

Rave 04-10-2015 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by dvilin (Post 1589387838)
Lack of Z51 option will not have any impact on potential buyers in the future...,

I tend to disagree. Just speaking for myself, if I were in the market for a used C7 I wouldn't even consider buying a non-Z51.

Woodson 04-10-2015 01:31 PM

Drive both versions if you can. It's the only way you will really know.

Woodson 04-10-2015 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Rave (Post 1589387995)
I tend to disagree. Just speaking for myself, if I were in the market for a used C7 I wouldn't even consider buying a non-Z51.

Any many others wouldn't even consider a Z51. :smash:

RedC7AZ 04-10-2015 01:57 PM

2014s - 37,288 cars. 55% built with Z51 option, 45% built without Z51 option. The demand should be no different in the resale market.

There may be slightly more demand for Z51 option (good for resale) , but accordingly there may be a slightly higher supply of Z51 optioned cars for sale (not good for resale)

Malco 04-10-2015 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by RedC7AZ (Post 1589388163)
2014s - 37,288 cars. 55% built with Z51 option, 45% built without Z51 option. The demand should be no different in the resale market.

There may be slightly more demand for Z51 option (good for resale) , but accordingly there may be a slightly higher supply of Z51 optioned cars for sale (not good for resale)

I disagree you will have a larger base of buyers if you have the Z-51 option with the Mag ride. You will have buyers that only want the Z-51 and buyers that don't care. You will have very few buyers that will not buy a Z-51 on the used market.
Also the Mag ride is very noticeable, much more than my 2012 ZR1.
There is a big difference when I go from Tour to Sport and visa versa.

Fat Frenchie 04-10-2015 02:17 PM

If you just want one to drive around town and maybe do a burn out every now and then - non-Z51. If you want a sports car to challenge your self on twisty roads or go to the track Z51 is the only way to go. Its up to you and what you want out of the car. For me personally it was Z51 3LT.

pettvette 04-10-2015 02:34 PM

Throw the Z51 sway bars ($300) on the ZF1 and you would have a hard time telling the difference between the ZF1 & Z51 ride and handling on a non-Mag ride comparison....

golddog 04-10-2015 02:34 PM

Don't worry about potential buyers. In the end, when you go to sell it, you wont want people test driving your car, you'll decide to trade it in to the dealer, and they will screw you regardless of the options on your car.
Buy what YOU want and enjoy the heck out of it!!!

iclick 04-10-2015 03:15 PM

I think the potential resale premium for a Z51 would be a percentage of the premium you pay when new, much like any other option. When shopping I looked at ZF1 cars only, as I do like the Z51 spoiler and wheel/tire combo but find the other features inconsequential for my kind of driving. The Z51-yay-or-nay subject has been bantered about here before so I won't belabor it further.

I don't regret the decision, having saved a few $K going that route. If you don't plan on tracking the car I wouldn't hesitate to recommend going with the ZF1 package instead.

KevinSun 04-10-2015 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Indiancent (Post 1589387804)
It however has the ZF1 appearance package, LT2 package and all the interior comforts including heads up display. It also has the performance exhaust and the black wheels that I wanted.
If I just want to cruise and occasionally enjoy some spirited driving, why pay for the suspension upgrades and the mag ride. I don't want a suspension that is track firm for 95% of my driving.
Guess I am not sure if the lack of Z51 and mag ride will cause the car to depreciate even faster and shrink the group of potential buyers that may want the car when I am ready to sell?
Since this is my first Corvette purchase and I am not very familiar with this market, I'd appreciate all your thoughts. Thanks so much.

My understanding is that it is the Z51 package that also includes the eLSD (electronic Limited Slip Differential). This helps the traction control which will keep you out of trouble. Due to the power it is easy to have the rear end get away from you, even when you are already doing 70 MPH on the highway. (Some people refer to it as the "nanny" or "nannies").

And, hey, if you are looking for some fun or trying to do some drifting, you can always dial it off!

Here is a side by side comparison on the Chevrolet Configuration site. It shows the differences in more detail.

I don't have mine yet, but I ordered the Z51 2LT package with an A8.

Hopper12 04-10-2015 03:50 PM

I agree with the comments about $3k off not being a great deal. Forum dealers will do much better. I purchased from Kerbecks - they were great and the other forum dealers appear to have the same great reputation.

Concerning Z51 or not: My cousin has a non-Z51 and it's a GREAT car. I bought a Z51 because it's what I wanted. Both a super machines - drive them both and you decide, but either way you can't lose. :thumbs:

TennisFreak 04-10-2015 03:57 PM

Regardless of z51 or not that price sucks.

I started out with just a z51 appearance package and then changed over to a full z51.

By the time you add the appearance pack, paint the calipers, and put on a spoiler you are more than half way to getting the full thing so just not worth it to NOT get the z51 pack.

Sway bars and better brakes are worth it if nothing else.

FYI I'm getting a 1LT z51 with black wheels, carbon flash mirrors-spoiler-badges and its only $56k. For the car you are looking at I would not want to pay more than $60k.

rcooper 04-10-2015 04:06 PM

The 3k off sucks as far as good deals go. You should be able to get 6k off of near that. I have had several Corvette sith the Z51 package and some with the mag ride. I bought my C7 without the Z51 package as I intend to just enjoy drives in the country and take trips in it. After having it for a coupe of months and 1900 miles I really enjoy the ride. It handles brilliantly and is more car than I will ever use.
If you are not going to track the car you don't need the Z51, and I would guess for most drivers the "base" car will be enough for the track. I will more than likely get flamed for that statement but... :ack: Who cares.
My car listed for about 62k and I paid 56.5k for it, and I special ordered what I wanted on the car.
I would check with some of the forum sponsors like Kerbeck or Criswell. I am sure that Kerbeck will have ZF1 coupes with 6k+ discounts on them.
As for resale, if you are concerned about that then buy a Rolls and don't drive it a lot. I sold my '09 C6 with 79,500 miles on it for $24,500 and bought it new for 47k, not bad for a 6 year old daily driver.
Corvettes hold there value pretty well considering what they are.

ratman6161 04-10-2015 04:16 PM

Well, I buy what I want for me. But the discussion got me thinking so I checked blue book values on used 2014's (just bought one of those myself). Here is what I found:

Comparing a 1LT Vs a 1Lt Z51, they were about $3000 different on the original MSRP. But the blue book used retail is $5000 more for the Z51.

But option packages its a different story. Compare a 1LT Z51 with a 3LT Z51 and you find that the original MSRP's had the 3LT $13K higher. But at used retail, its only $3,000 higher. Of course I only have 2014 to go on, but I'm too lazy to go and do the same comparison on older cars.

So the performance options like Z51 seem to hold up where interior and electronics sort of things don't. Another thought on the electronics is that they change fast. In a couple years, my cool navigation system in my 3LT will start looking clunky compared to the latest and greatest smart phone that will be out by then. Electronics never hold value in any other area so why would they in a car?

All of the above of course is non-scientific speculation.

ratman6161 04-10-2015 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by rcooper (Post 1589389004)
... I would guess for most drivers the "base" car will be enough for the track. I will more than likely get flamed for that statement but...

I wouldn't flame you! I've only had my Z51 a few days and I've already realized that the potential of the car is far greater than the potential of its driver. I will take it to the track eventually but at the moment the idea is a little intimidating. I need to grow into it:)

John Ulrich 04-10-2015 04:19 PM

Indiancent,
You mention good ride, No race. Base is all you need. I love my ride and if you're worried about resale why are you buying a new car to begin with? I've owned my other Vette for 24 yrs.....It's next owner will probably be a family member after my funeral!

crawfish333 04-10-2015 05:26 PM

I disagree. Many in the market for a used Vette may not even know or care about the difference, especially first time owners.

MikeLsx 04-10-2015 05:35 PM

The Z51 is not a rock hard suspension.

the Z51 is a package that increases the looks, sound and performance FEEL of the car. GM made the Z51 package knowing that MOST people getting the package are not going to the track. I would not buy a c7 without the Z51, I also do not plan on tracking. IMO the Z51 corvette is the way a corvette should look, sound, and feel.

Corgidog1 04-10-2015 05:48 PM

My feeling is there will be more people looking for a "pre-owned" C7 that will take a Z51 when they were looking for a non Z51, then people who will take a non Z51 who were looking for a Z51.

zbrett 04-10-2015 06:36 PM

The initial reason we did not get a Z51 was my wife hated the rims. I could have persuaded her but the more I thought about it, the more I realized I really didn't need a Z51. I tracked my C6 that I owned for 8 years a total of 3 times. Besides that, less things to go wrong since you don't have a dry sump or an eLSD to worry about. I did put the Z51 front and rear sway bars on, which buttoned down the handling a bit. No regrets for not getting a Z51 here... Base car or Z51. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

joshvetteg 04-10-2015 06:44 PM

IMO you will never regret getting a Z51. But you may regret not getting it. It's barely any more money and an incredible value for what you get.

MikeLsx 04-10-2015 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by zbrett (Post 1589389884)
The initial reason we did not get a Z51 was my wife hated the rims. I could have persuaded her but the more I thought about it, the more I realized I really didn't need a Z51. I tracked my C6 that I owned for 8 years a total of 3 times. Besides that, less things to go wrong since you don't have a dry sump or an eLSD to worry about. I did put the Z51 front and rear sway bars on, which buttoned down the handling a bit. No regrets for not getting a Z51 here... Base car or Z51. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

i think the base rims are plain jane, and i think the Z51 rims is the standard rim that should come on a 50k+ sports car.

the Z06 rims are the only truly great looking corvette rims though.

usually when women pick the options, thing ever go right.

bbrown450 04-10-2015 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Corgidog1 (Post 1589389568)
My feeling is there will be more people looking for a "pre-owned" C7 that will take a Z51 when they were looking for a non Z51, then people who will take a non Z51 who were looking for a Z51.

ya think :)

Acrr46 04-10-2015 08:13 PM

Let's say you purchase the Vette with the Z51 package and put 30,000 miles on it while your buddy purchases the identical car and only puts 15,000 miles on the odometer. Who will make out better $$ wise when you trade it in? Most dealers only care about the age of the car and the mileage. The Z51 may be worth a fraction of the original price on a trade in.

I just purchased a new C7 and they offered next to nothing for an '01 C5 6 speed, Z51 with 62,000 miles, so I'm selling it myself.

grandpawmoses 04-10-2015 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by ratman6161 (Post 1589389051)
Well, I buy what I want for me. But the discussion got me thinking so I checked blue book values on used 2014's (just bought one of those myself). Here is what I found:

Comparing a 1LT Vs a 1Lt Z51, they were about $3000 different on the original MSRP. But the blue book used retail is $5000 more for the Z51.

But option packages its a different story. Compare a 1LT Z51 with a 3LT Z51 and you find that the original MSRP's had the 3LT $13K higher. But at used retail, its only $3,000 higher. Of course I only have 2014 to go on, but I'm too lazy to go and do the same comparison on older cars.

So the performance options like Z51 seem to hold up where interior and electronics sort of things don't. Another thought on the electronics is that they change fast. In a couple years, my cool navigation system in my 3LT will start looking clunky compared to the latest and greatest smart phone that will be out by then. Electronics never hold value in any other area so why would they in a car?

All of the above of course is non-scientific speculation.

I agree. I've made the same check with KBB with the same results. The Z51 package has an excellent resale value (+$5K) while the 3LT package takes a big hit.

JoesC5 04-10-2015 08:29 PM

I'm sure that in the future there will be a buyer looking for a used C7 that isn't interested in a Z51, just as there are buyers for new C7's that are not Z51's.

RedC7AZ 04-10-2015 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Malco (Post 1589388279)
I disagree you will have a larger base of buyers if you have the Z-51 option with the Mag ride. You will have buyers that only want the Z-51 and buyers that don't care. You will have very few buyers that will not buy a Z-51 on the used market.

I think you are overemphasizing the selectiveness of the used car buyer. Used car buyers are not as picky as new car buyers. Condition and mileage will play the major roles as it relates to resale on 3-5 year old cars. Buyers will be all too happy just to get into a Corvette for half the price of a new one.

JoesC5 04-10-2015 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Malco (Post 1589388279)

You can't compare the ride of a Z51 with mag ride between Tour & Sport modes, to a base C7 as the base C7 comes with softer springs, shocks, sway bars.

As I understand it, the be C7 has the softest ride, then comes the Z51 with Mag ride in Touring and then the Z51 in Sport, and then the Z51 without Mag ride

JoesC5 04-10-2015 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by RedC7AZ (Post 1589390587)
I think you are overemphasizing the selectiveness of the used car buyer. Used car buyers are not as picky as new car buyers. Condition and mileage will play the major roles as it relates to resale on 3-5 year old cars. Buyers will be all too happy just to get into a Corvette for half the price of a new one.

Color and/or transmission will most likely influence a used Corvette buyer more than the suspension.

RedC7AZ 04-10-2015 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by JoesC5 (Post 1589390658)
Color and/or transmission will most likely influence a used Corvette buyer more than the suspension.

There will be enough automatics and manuals to choose from at any point in time. The demand on each is split. Agreed that some colors are better resellers than others.

hawkgfr 04-10-2015 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Woodson (Post 1589388008)
Any many others wouldn't even consider a Z51. :smash:

This...

crawfish333 04-10-2015 09:00 PM

So that's the rule right?

Wrong, Z51 is just an option package. A non-Z51 is just as much a Corvette as a Z51. There have been years when this package was not even offered. I think it is a wonderful deal for people that want it, but it is a waste of money for those of us that do not need it. :smash:

Originally Posted by MikeLsx (Post 1589389506)
The Z51 is not a rock hard suspension.

the Z51 is a package that increases the looks, sound and performance FEEL of the car. GM made the Z51 package knowing that MOST people getting the package are not going to the track. I would not buy a c7 without the Z51, I also do not plan on tracking. IMO the Z51 corvette is the way a corvette should look, sound, and feel.

crawfish333 04-10-2015 09:11 PM

Could that be related to the fact that the package is $5000.00 more in the new car as well? (it is I just checked)

Originally Posted by grandpawmoses (Post 1589390565)
I agree. I've made the same check with KBB with the same results. The Z51 package has an excellent resale value (+$5K) while the 3LT package takes a big hit.

EcoBrick Bob 04-10-2015 09:11 PM

My son... "Daffy Drunk" on this forum, and I both purchased 15' Vettes.

I have a 1LT loaded Velocity Yellow Z51 with A8, Nav/Camera, and Mag Ride with Supplier pricing (9% discount + fees). He bought a 1LT Shark Grey Conv. with M7, ZF1, NPP, and Black emblems. He got 11% off at MacMulkin with no supplier discount, + he had $1900.+ GM $$$$ he could apply. Courtesy delivery in IA cost him $200.

Now,,, I have to either buy him a ticket to help me get my TOY to IA for the summer, or ship it for $1,000. and then figure out how to get it back to Naples for the winter.

SO... Who got the better deal??? ( I did because I like my VY car better than a SG Conv....) But... ...:rock::rock::woohoo::woohoo::cheers:: cheers:

We are both VERY HAPPY CAMPERS!!!! ZOOM...ZOOM...ZOOM!!!!:flag:

Keith N 04-10-2015 10:17 PM

This is what you get with the Z51 package for $5000 -

Z51 Performance Package includes (J55) performance brakes, (J6A) Black-painted calipers, slotted brake rotors, (Z52) dry sump oil system, (FE3) Z51 performance suspension, specific shocks, springs and stabilizer bars, (NPP) performance exhaust, (XFJ) P245/35ZR19 front and P285/30ZR20 rear tires, (Q7S) Silver-painted aluminum, 19" front and 20" rear wheels, performance gear ratios, (G96) Electronic Limited Slip Differential (eLSD), (KNR) rear differential cooler, transmission cooling and an Aero Package

I would have added most or all of these mods anyway, so why not buy the package. I think the Z51 package is well worth the money and that's why I bought it. I don't plan on tracking my C7, but I do enjoy spirited sports car driving through canyons and mountains. Plus, it gives you the opportunity to add the magnetic ride suspension feature (I really wanted it), which is only available with the Z51.

If you are going to duplicate the Z51 performance package with a Base C7 Coupe add the Package ZF1 $1995 + Performance Exhaust $1195 = $3190.

The extra $1810 for Z51 suspension components (sway bars, springs and shocks), dry sump oil system, transmission cooler, differential cooler, electronic limited slip differential, performance gear ratio and performance brakes is worth the extra dollars for me.

If you don't want these features or you don't want to spend the extra money ... then don't, it's your car. Enjoy the ride!!! :cheers:

airforcex 04-10-2015 10:20 PM

If you're buying it for yourself, you can't go wrong. If I were buying used a couple years down the road, it would have to be Z51 or greater. To some, it doesn't matter; and it probably shouldn't. Any version of these vehicles, dating back to C5s, are waaay more (fun) than we can handle outside a track. I do think the Z51 is a bargain. Compare used base C6s to C6Zs or GS, and it's almost $10k.

sprk33 04-10-2015 10:23 PM

I have the Z51 and personally think it is worth every penny. When it comes down to it ...it is what you can afford and still enjoy the vehicle. If your not gonna track and just want to cruise around the non Z51 is more than you will need.

MikeLsx 04-10-2015 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by crawfish333 (Post 1589390746)
So that's the rule right?

Wrong, Z51 is just an option package. A non-Z51 is just as much a Corvette as a Z51. There have been years when this package was not even offered. I think it is a wonderful deal for people that want it, but it is a waste of money for those of us that do not need it. :smash:

its just my opinion. I think the Z51 suspension and brakes should be standard on a corvette. sure the dry sump, rims, and NPP can be packaged.

honestly I think the debate is more to do with age, more than anything else. the younger the guy, the more likely hood of the person getting Z51 if they can afford it. of course there will be outliers.

As someone who is in there 20s. No way would i pass up on those sexy black Z51 rims, louder exhuast, sportier ride. My friends who are also my age, first thing they asked was did you get the Z51 ? its really only thing that is worth getting on the vette. although i still went for the 2lt also.

jsimp413 04-10-2015 11:07 PM

I have not heard mention of brake dust. The Z51 brakes are great (but way more than we need on the street) and from what I have seen, cover the wheels with dark dust in even a shoot drive. I just washed my Stingray coupe after a month with 300 miles on the clock and the wheels were almost clean. There is a price to be paid for driving a track prepared car on the street. A price that I was not willing to pay. :cool:

C2367 04-10-2015 11:16 PM

Get what you want or need, The Zf1 drives and handles Great. The last Corvette I had and sold was a Z51 and it did not make any diffrence to the buyer, he would of bought it if it was not a Z51. When you sell it you may get a slight more but you pay a slight more new. It is more about condition, miles, color and transmission when selling. Z51 I not a make it or break it when you go to selling it used. Most buyer want a automatic transmission, this is a deal breaker when selling it.

jedblanks 04-10-2015 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by golddog (Post 1589388390)
Don't worry about potential buyers. In the end, when you go to sell it, you wont want people test driving your car, you'll decide to trade it in to the dealer, and they will screw you regardless of the options on your car.
Buy what YOU want and enjoy the heck out of it!!!

That's the damn truth right there. Dealerships have access to a larger pool of buyers.

RedC7AZ 04-11-2015 12:43 AM

The choice to get the Z51 option for many of us was not a matter of whether we could afford it or not. Many, like myself, can afford an additional few thousand for the option, but chose not to get it as there are some drawbacks with it.

It's not at all like you are relegated to a "cruiser" if you don't get the Z51 option. The Stingray is a sports car with fantastic street handling, with or without the Z51 package.

Vetteman Jack 04-11-2015 01:06 AM

$3K off - not a good deal. As for the Z51 option, only you can decide if spending the money for that option is worth it to you. In the event you end up selling the car later on, someone will buy it with or without that option.

sTz 04-11-2015 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Keith N (Post 1589391267)
This is what you get with the Z51 package for $5000 -

Z51 Performance Package includes (J55) performance brakes, (J6A) Black-painted calipers, slotted brake rotors, (Z52) dry sump oil system, (FE3) Z51 performance suspension, specific shocks, springs and stabilizer bars, (NPP) performance exhaust, (XFJ) P245/35ZR19 front and P285/30ZR20 rear tires, (Q7S) Silver-painted aluminum, 19" front and 20" rear wheels, performance gear ratios, (G96) Electronic Limited Slip Differential (eLSD), (KNR) rear differential cooler, transmission cooling and an Aero Package

I would have added most or all of these mods anyway, so why not buy the package. I think the Z51 package is well worth the money and that's why I bought it. I don't plan on tracking my C7, but I do enjoy spirited sports car driving through canyons and mountains. Plus, it gives you the opportunity to add the magnetic ride suspension feature (I really wanted it), which is only available with the Z51.

If you are going to duplicate the Z51 performance package with a Base C7 Coupe add the Package ZF1 $1995 + Performance Exhaust $1195 = $3190.

The extra $1810 for Z51 suspension components (sway bars, springs and shocks), dry sump oil system, transmission cooler, differential cooler, electronic limited slip differential, performance gear ratio and performance brakes is worth the extra dollars for me.

If you don't want these features or you don't want to spend the extra money ... then don't, it's your car. Enjoy the ride!!! :cheers:

Good post. :thumbs:

There is definitely value packaged with the Z51 and, as Ratman illustrated, is maintained at resale as well.

While most are not too concerned with resale at the time of purchased, it's good to know that this particular option tends to hold its monetary worth.

iclick 04-11-2015 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by crawfish333 (Post 1589390746)
A non-Z51 is just as much a Corvette as a Z51. There have been years when this package was not even offered. I think it is a wonderful deal for people that want it, but it is a waste of money for those of us that do not need it.

:iagree:

dvilin 04-11-2015 08:12 AM

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Originally Posted by MikeLsx (Post 1589391364)
its just my opinion. I think the Z51 suspension and brakes should be standard on a corvette. sure the dry sump, rims, and NPP can be packaged.

honestly I think the debate is more to do with age, more than anything else. the younger the guy, the more likely hood of the person getting Z51 if they can afford it. of course there will be outliers.

As someone who is in there 20s. No way would i pass up on those sexy black Z51 rims, louder exhuast, sportier ride. My friends who are also my age, first thing they asked was did you get the Z51 ? its really only thing that is worth getting on the vette. although i still went for the 2lt also.

grandpawmoses 04-11-2015 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpawmoses View Post

Originally Posted by crawfish333 (Post 1589390809)
Could that be related to the fact that the package is $5000.00 more in the new car as well? (it is I just checked)

The +$5K I quoted was based on KBB used trade-in 2014 Z51 package that only added about $3K originally to the sticker (2015's are +$5K to the sticker but do include NPP). I have not checked 2015 Z51 trade-in values. But my point was, for trade-in value, the money was better spent on a Z51 package than on a 3LT.

LIStingray 04-11-2015 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by RedC7AZ (Post 1589392037)
It's not at all like you are relegated to a "cruiser" if you don't get the Z51 option. The Stingray is a sports car with fantastic street handling, with or without the Z51 package.

If you don't get the Z06/Z07, then you must be relegated to the ranks of "cruiser", because that is the undisputed track king of C7's, and makes Z51's inferior on or off the track.
Now, getting back to reality - the Z51 can stop from 60 mph 4' shorter than the base and can corner 0.06g higher. Don't know about any of you, but I can't remember when either slightly better performance number would matter on the street.
As a trade off, the base rides better, doesn't generate the brake dust or have the dry sump (it also doesn't come with the 1970's look rear spoiler - which I consider a plus).
The Z51 is a great package for the track (having been to Spring Mountain), but for every day street driving the base (imo) is a better overall car.

Woodson 04-11-2015 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by jsimp413 (Post 1589391593)
I have not heard mention of brake dust. The Z51 brakes are great (but way more than we need on the street) and from what I have seen, cover the wheels with dark dust in even a shoot drive. I just washed my Stingray coupe after a month with 300 miles on the clock and the wheels were almost clean. There is a price to be paid for driving a track prepared car on the street. A price that I was not willing to pay. :cool:

Non-issue. 300 bucks for a pad swap and I don't have dirty wheels either.

JoesC5 04-11-2015 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by MikeLsx (Post 1589391364)

I have over 100 friends with Corvettes, and only a few are young(under40). They typically own base Corvettes with some Z51's, and typically, the younger they are, the older(and cheaper) the Corvette they own.

Who owns the $80,000 and up high performance Corvettes(Z06's and ZR1's)? The old farts. Me(C6 Z06) at 72, Harry(C6 Z06 & ZR1) at 83, Bill(C6Z6) at 65 and Steve(C7 Z06) at 62. Some that owned and sold them; Bob(C6 ZR1) at 67(he traded it in on a new Silverado for the farm, but kept his '67 427 4 speed, and his wife kept her '67 327 auto, and her C6 GS Callaway supercharged 606 HP vert), Ed(C6 Z06) at 71, who traded it for a C7 Z51.

Most who own C5's and C6's and even the C7(around 7 or 8 of them) have base suspension cars. The exception's are the ones who own C6 Grand Sports(which are automatically Z51's). Most of them bought the GS for it's wide body looks and not for it's Z51 suspension. Several of them asked me about the quality of the ride of the GS before they purchased, as they didn't want a Corvette with a harsh ride. Most of them, I took for a ride in my Z06 and explained that the ride of the GS would be a little better.

Several friends have tracked their Corvettes(C4 ZR-1, C5 Z06 and a C6 GS), but no longer do. I do have an acquaintance that is young and has a C6 Z06 that he tracks and also a new C7 Z06. He is an exception, in my circle of friends.

RedC7AZ 04-11-2015 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by LIStingray (Post 1589393312)
If you don't get the Z06/Z07, then you must be relegated to the ranks of "cruiser", because that is the undisputed track king of C7's, and makes Z51's inferior on or off the track.
Now, getting back to reality -

Your perception of reality on what's a "cruiser" and what isn't, is askew.

grandpawmoses 04-11-2015 12:39 PM

I don't understand the issues some people have with the dry sump. Every thread I read where someone is justifying a non Z51 there is mention of the dry sump as a negative. I understand the performance aspects of it but don't see it as a negative in any way to the casual driver.
You still check it with a dip stick, and it's in a very convenient place.
You check it with the engine warmed up, between 5 & 10 minutes after you shut it off. I check mine when I get fuel after I pump the gas. I guess that's the downside. Every time I pop the hood at a service station the Vett draws the attention of every "car" person around.

C2367 04-11-2015 02:47 PM

I could of order the car any way I wanted, less than 2000K more for Z51 but if I don't need it why have it?, to say I have it? I have no regret. If GM did not of offered the ZF1 package then maybe I would of gone for the Z51 package or just the base and add custom wheels and tires. The base has plenty huge enough brakes, so no problem and really how many really need's a dry Sump? It is over kill for so many. The only racing I do is 1/4 and so need for a Z51, just a set of DR's.

jma242 04-11-2015 02:56 PM

I would prefer the base Corvette as I don't need to order the Z51 but those smaller brakes just don't look right to me.

hawkgfr 04-11-2015 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by jma242 (Post 1589394520)
I would prefer the base Corvette as I don't need to order the Z51 but those smaller brakes just don't look right to me.

That is kind of funny because the rears are the same size and the fronts are just a sconce bigger. Barely noticeable...

In fact I think the biggest difference is the z51 have slots in the rotors and they dust and rust just looking at them...unlike the standards that don't do either. Heck they don't even rust when wet...:yesnod:

oyealiz 04-11-2015 03:27 PM

I bought non z51, 3lt. No regrets. The only place people try to tell you how stupid your decision was and that you must be a cheap (or poor), low class citizen is here. :lol:

jma242 04-11-2015 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by hawkgfr (Post 1589394602)
That is kind of funny because the rears are the same size and the fronts are just a sconce bigger. Barely noticeable...

In fact I think the biggest difference is the z51 have slots in the rotors and they dust and rust just looking at them...unlike the standards that don't do either. Heck they don't even rust when wet...:yesnod:

It's noticeable to me! I could not stand the smaller brakes/rotors on my last car, so the bigger the better.

DELKDL 04-11-2015 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by oyealiz (Post 1589394653)
I bought non z51, 3lt. No regrets. The only place people try to tell you how stupid your decision was and that you must be a cheap (or poor), low class citizen is here. :lol:

Perfect statement! I got what you have and am glad I made that decision (right for me). The average Joe doesn't "think" Z51, or care! They just see CORVETTE! Cool! Plus, as stated elsewhere, the Z51 option pales compared to the Z06 Z07.

Always Red Dave 04-11-2015 08:11 PM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...c5b7699821.jpg
I like the Z51 and would have paid the $2000 just to have the SLOTTED ROTORS! The slotted rotors make the car look even more BADAZZZZZZ!JMHO....

hawkgfr 04-11-2015 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by jma242 (Post 1589395180)
It's noticeable to me! I could not stand the smaller brakes/rotors on my last car, so the bigger the better.

Gotcha...that one inch on the fronts is a lot...:lol:

hawkgfr 04-11-2015 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave (Post 1589395992)
I like the Z51 and would have paid the $2000 just to have the SLOTTED ROTORS! The slotted rotors make the car look even more BADAZZZZZZ!JMHO....

Wow..what would you give for drilled?:eek:

Always Red Dave 04-11-2015 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by hawkgfr (Post 1589396598)
Wow..what would you give for drilled?:eek:

I had the drilled on my 2008 C6 vert they came free with F55 magnetic ride control.:D

9ball1104 04-12-2015 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave (Post 1589395992)

Maybe, but try'n to keep the wheels clean from brake dust kinda ruins it for me.

Gr8ful 04-12-2015 12:10 AM

I had my C7 for sale and the first thing they ask was " is it a Z51? ". The mag ride is a great option, I can really tell the differance between sport and tour.
My $.02 worth.

Always Red Dave 04-12-2015 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by 9ball1104 (Post 1589397234)
Maybe, but try'n to keep the wheels clean from brake dust kinda ruins it for me.

That's half the fun I clean my black wheels at least every other time I take the car out for a spin only takes a minute or two with detail spray to do a quick cleaning.:thumbs:

MikeC4C5C6...C7 04-12-2015 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Indiancent (Post 1589387804)

I sold my last two Corvettes (99 C5, 06 C6) to guys who were buying their first Corvettes. Neither seemed to care much about the options, they liked the color (red) and the great condition of the cars. Both were thrilled to finally be entering the world of Corvette!

Neither car was a Z51. But, my ordered C7 is. Why? Magnetic Selective Ride Control. In my opinion, it is that good. (Ferrari licenses this technology from GM.).

Finally, if you can afford it, buy it with as many options as you can find. Why not buy the best car that Stingray can be if you can afford it?

Whatever you decide and do, you will LOVE this car!

9ball1104 04-12-2015 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Gr8ful (Post 1589397247)
I had my C7 for sale and the first thing they ask was " is it a Z51? ". The mag ride is a great option, I can really tell the differance between sport and tour.
My $.02 worth.

Yea, that would be the first thing I would ask since I didn't want that option. Doesn't surprise me though, since Z51's were in short supply in some areas. But once a vehicle is a few years old, the care and maintenance will correctly be the main consideration for most buyers. But I am amazed how many folks buy or don't buy options based on resale value instead of getting what makes sense for them. I bought Apple stock based on resale value. I bought my C7 to drive.

RedC7AZ 04-12-2015 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by 9ball1104 (Post 1589397958)
...I am amazed how many folks buy or don't buy options based on resale value instead of getting what makes sense for them. I bought Apple stock based on resale value. I bought my C7 to drive.

Since money is an object for most Corvette buyers, it's all about striking a balance between getting what you want and resale value.

If person A wants an option so bad that they can't live without it, get it, even if it is an option that won't help resale value at all.

If person B has the same option at the bottom of their want list and does not want it nearly as much as person A, and would be just as happy with or without it, then don't get it.

If money is no object, get an absolutely loaded car (whatever you want and then some), since the bath you'll take at resale time won't matter to you.

Indiancent 04-12-2015 02:20 PM

Thank you all for your generous input!
I am thrilled to see that this forum is so active, never expected so many comments.
I think at this point I will place an order with a forum supporting dealer and wait for a 2016 model (why not, it's so close).
First I will drive my neighbors Corvette, I believe it is a non Z51 and then I will hope to find someone that has a Z51 with mag ride, in order to have a comparison. After all at this point "I" don't really know what I am talking about, it's all theory to me.
What I don't like, is the fact that the local dealers don't want me to test drive a car until I decide to buy. If they are that concerned that the new cars are getting too many miles on them before they are bought, they should invest in a demo car. After all they can easily afford that with second stickers up to 10K and no discounts. On a 75K MSRP Corvette that can mean an additional $16,750 in their pocket!
Looking forward to my first drive. Mike